Official eGaming 2009 Comments and Suggestions Thread

Started by AmazingKenchan, May 31, 2008, 01:05:30 AM

Ushitora

speaking of ps2 flip top I think I want to bring my own next year, and maybe my entire collection of pop'n music with controller also.

would that be feasible?

Kaura117

STEPMANIA TOURNAMENT

I DEMAND A STEPMANIA TOURNEY!

...I ALSO SUGGEST A CUSTOM-STEPCHART CONTEST!

WHY AM I WRITING IN CAPS, IT'S NOT AS IF the key is... oh. Whoops.

Umi.Ryuuzaki

Before I begin, I did find the equipment liablity forms we did use during 2006/2007 and be willing to give that to you guys.

I just looked at the OP/first post of the thread and holy *censor*, let me help you organize this. Anything in a "( }" is my commentary/recommendations:

QuoteGeneral

-Lockboxes (Didnt you have a idea for this?)
-More console systems, esp XBox360's/Wii's (Retro's one thing, new stuff is a another)
-A Printer (why tho?)
-Budget (Usually thats a internal matter)
-Signup sheets for tournaments (Wait WHAT? You didn't to do this ;_; )
-COPMUTERS! (You mean a PC section?)
-Waver documents for staff AND Con. people. (You mean the under-18/minor waiver thing? easily acquireable)
-Mutiple department heads (Actually in the FanimeCon staff world, it goes Department Head/Manager->Assistant Department Head/Assist.Manager->Staffer. I don't think you can have more than 2 leaders, but you can setup a team/section for say...PC section, Console section, Tournament. I can go into details if you wish via AIM)
-Password protected Laptop (Demand it inf act)
-Better TV's (Unless FanimeCon can somehow afford HDTV's and in a huge Volume or get a sponsor, that'll be hard to do. 720p or even 1080p on the next-gen consoles would be sexy...)

E-Gaming related logistics/supply

-WTB Power Strips
-Labeling Supplies (though, I thought you got blue tape?)
-Controllers, esp for the N64/Gamecube + batteries
-Master Memory Card for Saves (We did that for our years and it helps)
-Printed version of game inventory (It ended up in a binder of a written inventory)
-A written list of everyone belongings (see last entry)
-More moded systems. (Do realize that these systems do have a slightly higher breakdown chance)
-More Sharpies and pens (Logistics Request type of thing; I just brought my own out of habit)

Tournaments

-Tournament bracket software (You don't need it personally...there are brackets pre-made out there on the internet, use Google)
-Trained/informed tournament organizers (If a certain person comes back, he can help ya)
-More than ONE tourny operators (Oh we learned hardcore of using just one person. Get a Tournament Coordination Team)
-Halo Tourny...Cancelled Every Time (In 2007, we found out no one brought a copy, dont blame me! In 2008, idk what happened)
-Projector for the BIG tournys. (Tricky one to do. Contact me on this one...)
-Check badage numbers for FINALIST'S (Do this for all tournaments and all participants; Msg me for a detailed answer)

Other

-Better sponsors (I hear its being worked on...)
-More reliable staffers (in my time, we strived to be in contact with everyone and required them to appear at a meeting once a month, and then the critical meetings.)
-During shut down time, you need more than one person running Inventory. (Duh!)
-Vol's when you need the help (edited to be professional; Dept head should request a certain amount dedicated if short on staff)
-Outside gamer table (What do you mean?)
-Make sure the arcade is separated from the computers. (In all the years I've done it, its been that way.)
-Better people watching the door (Door duty sucks. Long story short I ended up using Vol's and sometimes a Staffer for this.)
-Check badge numbers for FINALIST'S (not including the people we let in)
-E-Gaming Manual
-Better set up of info desk (In 2006 we developed this concept. There's ways to evolve this even more.)
-Poker for staff during shut down (For sanity's sake yes and even during the 'Con when it seems a little dead)
-Staff food and water/drinks (During the last set of meetings, coordinate this with your staff to pitch in 10-20 bucks so you're supplied for the 'Con. Do use mainly water but a bit of soda. That Exhibit hall can dehydrate you rather fast so take that as a factor)
-Fog Horn (Rofl)

Any better?
Chito, aka Kaiyoko
-Formerly Umi.Ryuuzaki

FanimeCon E-Gaming
-Veteran E-Gaming staff since 2002
-Dept Head '05/06, Assist Dept Head '07, on break '08-'11, returned 2012
Gaming Hall Staffer 2013
-Yarr!

AmazingKenchan

haha yeah x_x, my mom broke her leg so I'm her replacement for the next 6-8 weeks.  When I get back from work tonight I'll address everything in that list, and get it back together again.  Quickly, yeah, tournaments were not planned in advance, almost whatsoever.  Printer is for said signup sheets, and whatever else we happen to need quick.

In general, most of this is improvements, however obvious.  They need to be done because, well, they kinda weren't this year ): I'll IM you tonite if I'm not completely drunk over at the pad.
2004-2005 Logistics Staff
2007-2009 eGaming Staff
2010-2012 Arcade Head

Raydere

I should've mentioned this sooner, but one of the guys at E-Gaming brought some arcade scrolling shooter boards and ran them through a supergun or something. I got to play things like Blazing Star and Radiant Silvergun on Free Play.

To whoever did that: that was freakin' awesome. I hope you come back for Fanime '09! =)
Raydere / Raymoo, purveyor of crazy Japanese music games
Twitter: @Raydere | Tumblr: raydere2

ccgenerals

Quote from: G.S. LXVIII on June 08, 2008, 06:32:21 PM
I should've mentioned this sooner, but one of the guys at E-Gaming brought some arcade scrolling shooter boards and ran them through a supergun or something. I got to play things like Blazing Star and Radiant Silvergun on Free Play.

To whoever did that: that was freakin' awesome. I hope you come back for Fanime '09! =)
heh, that person would happen to be the starter of this thread (David)
E-Gaming Staff '08

AmazingKenchan

If I can muster the money, I'll be bringing multiple supergun setups next year.
2007-2009 eGaming Staff
2010-2012 Arcade Head

Hirotona

I loved the way the gaming room was set up this year : D Free play and no set games/consoles is the way to go. Playing good old Mario Kart 64 and Perfect Dark was an unexpected but welcome highlight of Fanime 08.

So thumbs up to the people responsible and I am looking forward to 09 very highly C:

otakuapprentice

hopefully this gets a release date sometime down the line before next years' con(as well as console info), but....

Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Cross Generation of Heroes

that is all for now.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

Radical edward

Cameron reporting in here :D
I vote for old game tournaments like perfect dark or goldeneye, if we can get it ;3 And the more reliable staff thing would be awsome D= I saw so many names in the back of the book in '08 that I never once saw at the tables. Also no ghetto round table set up, That thing sucked muchly yaknow?

Badge-art done by my lovely friend para
I'm not always this stressed I swear... What's sleep?

kanauru

I request an ITG2 machine :D or DDRX or PIU. I was sad that 2008 was a SuperNova...

Barnes

Quote from: kanauru on September 02, 2008, 10:30:12 PM
I request an ITG2 machine :D or DDRX or PIU. I was sad that 2008 was a SuperNova...

PIU=Yes please. But which game in particular?
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

kanauru

Quote from: Barnes on September 16, 2008, 10:44:22 PM
Quote from: kanauru on September 02, 2008, 10:30:12 PM

PIU=Yes please. But which game in particular?

NX2 Korean would be nice...or a PREX or Premiere. Only ones I have played are Pro and Zero.

HentaiTentacleDemon

i think you should have paper brackets printed out and ready just in case the tourney bracket software doesn't work. i remember the guy running the software saying something about how if you make a mistake, the software doesn't allow u to go back and fix it.

it's always good to have a back up plan if things doesn't work.

Mizuki

This is my 2 cents (could already be in the thread):

Trained staff, with paper brackets or laptops with bracket software (I recommend ALJ Tournament Maker, can download from Download.com)

To make it easy, you can use a big monitor or something of the sort to display who is up next for what game, or a projector.

The tournaments aren't exactly "high calibur" so the need for HD TV's aren't necesarry. As long as you can see what's going on its fine, also some games lag on HD TV's, I can pull up a list if needed.

Also a team is nice, one person to record what matches took place in the bracket, one for announcing games, and one for overseeing the games.

AmazingKenchan

2007-2009 eGaming Staff
2010-2012 Arcade Head

Mizuki

Quote from: otakuapprentice on June 21, 2008, 11:19:34 PM
hopefully this gets a release date sometime down the line before next years' con(as well as console info), but....

that is all for now.

I missed this last time I posted. I don't think TvC is going to be out by then.

heeroyuy135

Quote from: AmazingKenchan on October 19, 2008, 04:32:51 AM
First staff meeting is over, we've started making some preliminary plans for eGaming in 2009.  We'll have more space, we're taking over '08's Dealer Room, so look forward to a much bigger, more well-rounded room.  Simply put, we will not disappoint  ;D
So wait, where's the Dealers Room going to be, if you can answer that?

otakuapprentice

Quote from: Mizuki on November 02, 2008, 09:28:06 PM
Quote from: otakuapprentice on June 21, 2008, 11:19:34 PM

that is all for now.

I missed this last time I posted. I don't think TvC is going to be out by then.
The Wii JP version(which currently is the only confirmed console version of the game) will be out this December. As for the actual cabinet version, that part i don't know.

Quote from: HeeroYuy135 on November 02, 2008, 10:44:57 PM
Quote from: AmazingKenchan on October 19, 2008, 04:32:51 AM
First staff meeting is over, we've started making some preliminary plans for eGaming in 2009.  We'll have more space, we're taking over '08's Dealer Room, so look forward to a much bigger, more well-rounded room.  Simply put, we will not disappoint  ;D
So wait, where's the Dealers Room going to be, if you can answer that?
im guessing they are just going to do a easy swap, with dealers and e-gaming switching rooms; dealers would probably be where gaming was this year and vice-versa.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.