Mystery science theater night 11/15/2008

Started by edendreams, July 05, 2008, 04:39:13 PM

edendreams

Hey guys!

It's almost here!!!

The date is November 15th at 6:30pm.
The Location will be My House in San Ramon.
ADDRESS: 9420 alcosta blvd
San Ramon, Ca 94583

*as a note there is a long stretch of road in front of the senior center (which is before my house) please try to park on the street there(i suggest not in the parking lot) as to be nice to my neighbors. I only live 4 houses down from the senior center so it's a short walk* belive me there are no houses directly on alcosta until you get up the hill and you see the senior center.*

I will set up 2 rooms to watch movies  (and hopefully a camera to record what we say) i imagine we will probably get to watch 2 movies in each room so we still need to pick what movies to provide.

Refreshments will be pot luck style I'll provide popcorn for sure XD.

there will be no drinking at my house however, it is my parents house and they don't drink at all. so... sorry for those wanting that kind of party.

anyway i hope you all can make it or at least a good bunch!

so far i have:
Kazuko
Ninj4
rude32
RyuHayabusa
Loktera
Kyley
and several maybe's

a little art by me ^-^

BrightHeart76

MST3K is one of my all time favorite TV shows!  Depending on when and were it is I will TRY to have the car running and gas money together to make it to this. 
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

Barnes

I've got some pretty bad 80s movies to show off.
I'm totally up for this.  ;D
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

Kazuko

CUBE SERIES FTW :V

B rated canadian horror film at its cheesyest

rude32

Don't forget about the movie "Killer Clown From Outer Space."
A hero forever loyal to the flames of war now rests in Outer Heaven

RUDE: Rub Up Desperate Elephants- Thanks shy-cosplayer

Kaura117

Quote from: Kazuko on July 05, 2008, 11:48:01 PM

My gods, I approve.

mDuo13

I have some recommendations for how to successfully pull off a thing like this. First, start with an actual episode of MST3k to get you in the mood. If you just go ahead with the bad movies, you may find people becoming disinterested or distracted far too easily.

Second, some movies are just bad but not good for MST3king. For example, "The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies?!!" sounds like it would be hilarious, but in fact, a huge portion of the movie consists of these carnival-sideshow dance routines that are neither funny, nor related to the plot; they're just boring. To avoid stinkers, you should pick movies that at least one person has seen and knows is so-bad-it's-good.

Some movies I do recommend: Hawk the Slayer, and (from the looks of it) The Wicker Man (the new one with Nicholas Cage). I also have it on good authority that Pinata Survival Island is very entertainingly bad.

rude32

The film company Troma makes some really bad movies that could fit this category.
A hero forever loyal to the flames of war now rests in Outer Heaven

RUDE: Rub Up Desperate Elephants- Thanks shy-cosplayer

BrightHeart76

One of the best episodes (OK it was actually the theatrical release) of MST3K was done to a good movie.  This Island Earth.  The movie doesn't HAVE to be horrible, you just need to be able to goof on it for the experience to be fun. 

That being said, may I humbly suggest Beowulf.  The resent CG release....cause that movie stunk like bad tuna and I had to leave the theatre half way thru because I was laughing so hard.
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

zoupzuop2

I recommend the following movies, which me and my in-town friends have already watched for the same purpose:

*Frankenfish ("BOOM! Headshot!")
*Curse of the Komodo ("It's hungry.")
*The Mothman Prophecies
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

Jerry

BAD (or GOOD) MOVIE night.

and a cheap way to spend an evening. a few snacks and drinks and get in a good mood to be that over commentary crown while yelling at the screen.

I'm down.

Good times all around.
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Kandybar

Lactose

Lactose = Liz

edendreams

Quote from: mDuo13 on July 06, 2008, 12:25:36 PM
I have some recommendations for how to successfully pull off a thing like this. First, start with an actual episode of MST3k to get you in the mood. If you just go ahead with the bad movies, you may find people becoming disinterested or distracted far too easily.

Second, some movies are just bad but not good for MST3king. For example, "The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies?!!" sounds like it would be hilarious, but in fact, a huge portion of the movie consists of these carnival-sideshow dance routines that are neither funny, nor related to the plot; they're just boring. To avoid stinkers, you should pick movies that at least one person has seen and knows is so-bad-it's-good.

Some movies I do recommend: Hawk the Slayer, and (from the looks of it) The Wicker Man (the new one with Nicholas Cage). I also have it on good authority that Pinata Survival Island is very entertainingly bad.

HAHA i was totally thinking of that before i saw your post I agree we should show either an episode or two first to get people's minds going.
My current plan is to get a list of movies together and then have a vote on the top five or so. (that way we have back ups)

wow i'm really excited by the responses ^-^ funny how a random thoughts work!

a little art by me ^-^

felicity869

Sounds like a rad idea. I'd offer up my place but my apartment is tiny.

I vote:
Santa Clause Conquers the Martians. I bought it from the dollar bins in Target a couple years ago. Ask Kegan, that one was was awful/hilarious.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058548/

BrightHeart76

Quote from: felicity869 on July 11, 2008, 08:24:55 PM

I vote:
Santa Clause Conquers the Martians. I bought it from the dollar bins in Target a couple years ago. Ask Kegan, that one was was awful/hilarious.

One of the greatest episodes of MST3K was Santa Claus Conquers the Martians.  It's awesome.  I have the MST3K version on DVD.   :D

otakuapprentice

I vote:
oh god, that was so bad, i dont ever want to see that.

Quote from: Kaura117 on July 06, 2008, 12:13:58 PM
Quote from: Kazuko on July 05, 2008, 11:48:01 PM

My gods, I approve.
i second this.

Quote from: rude32 on July 06, 2008, 02:33:51 AM
Don't forget about the movie "Killer Clown From Outer Space."
that shit gave me nightmares when i saw it as a kid............god, i hate clowns so much.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

felicity869

Quote from: BrightHeart76 on July 11, 2008, 10:26:55 PM

I vote:

One of the greatest episodes of MST3K was Santa Claus Conquers the Martians.  It's awesome.  I have the MST3K version on DVD.   :D

Oh, I didn't know it had actually been done already. I fail.

BrightHeart76

Quote from: felicity869 on July 11, 2008, 11:04:17 PM
Quote from: BrightHeart76 on July 11, 2008, 10:26:55 PM

I vote:

Oh, I didn't know it had actually been done already. I fail.

No fail.  You win.  It's such a perfect MST3K movie it's already and MST3K movie.   Good find! ;D

edendreams

I would say my place but i live in San Ramon would you guys be willing to travel?

really it's not that far (about 40 min from san jose) but we have time  ^-^

a little art by me ^-^