Watcha' watching?

Started by CloudStrife546, August 21, 2003, 12:01:15 PM

CloudStrife546

Well, it's been a while for one of these topics to come out.  So, lets keep this thread clean.  Just list with a little description each anime you are currently watching or recently finished.

Gundam Seed - Despite the fact that Bandai decided to license it this past month, I'm still able to get some torrents of new episodes.  Grant you, it's hard, but I want to finish the series.  It's really good for a Gundam show, and one of my favorite Gundam series along side with 08th MS Team.  If you like Gundam or mecha in general, I recommend this.

Scrapped Princess - Just started watching it.  I only have about 5 eps, but from what I've seen, it's very nice.  Make good use of today's technology, the animation is very clean, and lovely to watch.  Fun stuff.

Onegai Twins - Episodes are coming along very slowly, and I'm surrently downloading ep 5.  It's pretty nice, and it keeps things going.  It's not too slow-paced, and not too fast.  It's not great, so far, but enjoyable.  I can't seem to find the connection to the first one yet....

Saikano - I'm rewatching this.  Just finished ep 10.  after this, its gonna get sad as hell... :cry: It's a drama type, so if you're into that, watch this.  Be warned though, if you're a girl you WILL cry.  And the rest of you, well, you might.

Gad Gaurd - Ehh....it's soso.  Think of it as Digimon clashed with...Gundam?  Something like that.  More like a mecha-based Digimon show.  Even the artwork reminds me of Digimon.  Of course, the colors aren't as vibrant, but are more dark, giving you the New York City dark feel.  Good stuff, action-packed and fun...

Well, that's it for now.  Having a good time with anime before school starts.  Which is next week, so then, I won't have too much time...

RyuHayabusa

I'm watching right now:
Kanon
I My Me Strawberry Eggs
Full Moon wo Sagashite
Initial D
and I'm going to start watching soon Kare Kano  :D
My own Cosplay Photography Page:
AnimeCraft Entertainment LLC

platinum edge

Scrapped Princess:  Very good anime (watch up to ep 14.).  Mix of a fantasy world setting with futuristic technology.

Last Exile:  I know this has been licensed, but it's too addicting not to see.  As I've mentioned in another post, hard to describe well.  I'd say wait untill it's out on dvd.  Definately check it out if you can.

Stellvia of the Universe:  Pretty decent, just have to get through the first 6 eps before it gets really interesting.

Get Backers:  Pretty good series.  the Infinite castle arc really draws you in.  You'll have to watch a bit before getting to that arc.

Macross Zero:  Prequel to the Macross series.  Only 2 eps out on fansub now.  5 in total, but it's being released one ep every 5 months.  Damn good.

Ebichu:  Not recommended for those under 18.  This almost got censored from Japanese TV for pushing the limits of what TV could show.  Funny, but in a very crude humor type of way (if you watch the first 2 min of ep 1, you'll understand why).  For those of you who have seen this, does watching this, much less laughing at it, make me a bad person?

Note:  I've sacraficed a lot of sleep to watch these. . .not the brightest thing I've ever done. . .watch anime, yes. . . sacrafice sleep, no. . .
Always chase after your dreams, and never forget why you are pursuing them.

kei

About gundam seed, the last fansub was ep 45.  
Almost all digital fansub in mirc stop subbing and distributing Gundam Seed and GITS when they got notice from Bandai or Jerry (Bandai representative).
I don't know what kind of notice did those digital fansub receive but for sure it's freak out those fansub channel (even animejunkies).  Usually I still able to see some of the fserve serving the anime but for gundam seed, i hardly find one.  Weird huh??
So I don't know if there's any fansub who dares to finish the last 7 episodes.

a lot of ppl angry with bandai cause they think bandai used fansub as free advertisement and then licensed the anime near the end of the anime.
Bandai said that they license gundam seed now because they just finished acquire it from Bandai japan.  

Well i'm not talking about the moral of fansub, but it pissed me off to wait for another 2 years before i able to buy and watch all gundam seed dvd.
why I said 2 years?  well the first gseed dvd will be out mostly end of this year (that what bandai said), 1 dvd every 2 months, not to mention if they going to put gseed in cartoon network.  oh well it's my own fault anyway to watch gseed.  :p
So for ppl who watching fansub gundam seed, my advice is not to watch it or watch it and then wait for another year to continue watch it (cause bandai ask/threaten fansub to stop the subbing).  :p

I'm currently watching:
Naruto - someone should licensed this anime cause it will freak out at least 600 otakus
Gad Guard - I like the art, interesting story only at first couple of episode
DN Angel - I only interested with Daisuke and Riku relationship
Onegai Twin - like the art, funny
Gundam Seed
Ghost in Shell TV
Ultra Maniac - first couple of episode is hilarious..
Sorcerer Hunter

CloudStrife546

Well, for Gundam Seed, I didn't even get ep 45 fansubbed.  I got it RAW, and then looked for a script.  A little tough, yes, I know, but it works.  :P   I just read the script to get the jist of it, and then watch it.  If you do it the other way around, you''ll get way confused.  Scripts are hard to find though...

platinum edge

Quote from: "kei"Naruto - someone should licensed this anime cause it will freak out at least 600 otakus

I'd say it would freak out at least 6000 otakus if they licensed Naruto.  It's pretty popular with quite a number of people.
Always chase after your dreams, and never forget why you are pursuing them.

Tsubasa

In alphabetical order:

-D.C. ~Da Capo~: A fun bishoujo-game-to-anime adaptation.  I love the sense of humor in this series and the girls are quite cute.

-Get Backers: Got back into it recently and started watching from 27+ a few days ago.  Now I'm at 43 and I'm quite enjoying it.  It's not a terribly deep series, but it's quite fun.

-Happy Lesson Advance: My favorite of the series I'm currently watching.  While technically missing what many would place as a requirement for a "good" series, plot, I absolutely adore it.  Why?  Simply put, this is a hardcore character-driven series and I love the characters.

-Naruto: Technically, the best stuff I've been watching recently.  It has an intriguing plot, well-developed characters, and fantastic action.  Kinda reminds me of a cross between One Piece and Kenshin.  It's more complicated than One Piece and not quite Kenshin caliber, but it's amazingly reminiscent of both at times.  That is, at least to me.

-Onegai Twins: I admit, I'm pretty much watching this series for Ichigo, but it's kinda fun and isn't such a bad way to kill time.  The Onegai series are very mediocre if you ask me.

-Tenshi no Shippou: Probably the most shallow of the stuff I've been watching, but it's kinda funny.  A guy surrounded by twelve girls who are reincarnations of his dead pets?  How could that not be amusing?

QuoteWell i'm not talking about the moral of fansub, but it pissed me off to wait for another 2 years before i able to buy and watch all gundam seed dvd.
I find it funny how the attitude is changing in the fansub community.  A few years ago, the average fan would be overjoyed that their curretly fansubbed series was licensed.  Guess I'm a little old-fashioned, but I still think that way.
-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR

kei

Quote from: "Tsubasa"In alphabetical order:

-Naruto: Technically, the best stuff I've been watching recently.  It has an intriguing plot, well-developed characters, and fantastic action.  Kinda reminds me of a cross between One Piece and Kenshin.  It's more complicated than One Piece and not quite Kenshin caliber, but it's amazingly reminiscent of both at times.  That is, at least to me.
if only they did not repeat every first 5 minute from the last episode this anime will be great...

QuoteWell i'm not talking about the moral of fansub, but it pissed me off to wait for another 2 years before i able to buy and watch all gundam seed dvd.
I find it funny how the attitude is changing in the fansub community.  A few years ago, the average fan would be overjoyed that their curretly fansubbed series was licensed.  Guess I'm a little old-fashioned, but I still think that way.
5 years ago, there is only few anime got fansub.  The fansub is so slow and you never know if they going to finish the episode or not.  When you want a fansub, you have to order, send the money(to pay the shipping and tape cost), wait until they finish copy the tape and send it to you.
But I guess most ppl happy when anime licensed because the fansub is unrealible and the quality is average/bad.  That's happen to me with Gundam Wing.  

Current Fansub is really fast.
Take example for Naruto.  It broadcast in japan Wednesday/Thursday and the fansub already available on Friday.  You don't have to pay and just wait for couple of hours to get the fansub.  Some anime is subbed by different digital fansub so if you don't like the sub of 1 fansub you can change to different fansub.  I think 3 digi fansub subs Naruto.  The video quality is very good.  Some fansub translation is better then anime distributor (e.g. ADV) translation.

It takes almost 3 years to get all Gundam Wing fansub 5 years ago. Now depending on digi fansub and # of episode, it could take less than a year to get all Gundam Seed fansub.   Now since it's licensed, i have to wait for another 1.5 years before i can watch the last 7 episodes.

Tsubasa

Suppose that is a factor, but I attribute it to a larger attitude change in the fandom.  With the speed, accessibility, and most notably cost (i.e. none) of digisubs, I've noticed a radical change in fandom in general.  Face it, modern fans are horribly spoiled.  Instead of thinking about how great fansubs are and how they aid the anime industry in the US, they take them for granted and are far more concerned with their own personal wants.  That's the primary reasons why I think the fansubbing community should either ease up or stop subbing all together.  If you look at the current market situation, fansubbing has outlived its original intention; that being to promote anime.  Licensors are picking everything up at a staggering rate (if Azumanga was licensed, anything can be). *sigh*  How I long for the good old days....
-Tsubasa

kei

Yeah, I have to agree with you.  Basically all this problem coming from cost/money.  I only buy anime dvd that I really like after watching the fansub.  And not all people willing to pay for $25 just for 4 episode of anime.  Especially people who think anime is just another cartoon.
Licensors are picking everything up at a staggering rate??  heh.. i think only ADV do that because they afraid other company grab them first.  To have them licensing Azumanga is very interesting.  I wonder based on what they license it.  Azumanga is hillarious but it's hard to translate some of it's joke to english.
the only thing I can remember about good old days is little variety of anime.  Well maybe that's because i lived in small town.  :)

Jessa_chan

Right now, I'm watching:

Ranma 1/2: Classic series, and I have yet to finish it @__@

Record of Lodoss War (TV Series): GAH! My eyes! They buuuurn! I long for the OVA art and plot. -_-; Spark and his wannabes can burn in hell, I'll take the OVAs.

Sorcerer Hunters: ^_____^ I adore this. Carrot is hillarious

^_^;; I'm totally open to suggestions for new series to watch!
I love Jack Sparrow. I am his fangirl. I am also obsessed with pirates. Savvy?

CloudStrife546

Quote from: "kei"Especially people who think anime is just another cartoon.

Ohh...boy.  Anime IS just another cartoon.  Lemme expain this once again:

car·toon    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (kär-tOOn)
n.

A drawing depicting a humorous situation, often accompanied by a caption.
A drawing representing current public figures or issues symbolically and often satirically: a political cartoon.
A preliminary sketch similar in size to the work, such as a fresco, that is to be copied from it.
An animated cartoon.
A comic strip.
A ridiculously oversimplified or stereotypical representation: criticized the actor's portrayal of Jefferson as a historically inaccurate cartoon.

Must this also go in my signature?

Hououji Fuu

In no particular order:

Noir - gotta love it. ^^ Kirika kicks some serious ass, and Mireille's so pretty... XD
Geneshaft - Sci-fi's not usually my thing, but I *really* love this anime.
InuYasha - I'm still downloading the weekly released fansubs @_@ but I've nearly given up on the damn thing... she REALLY needs to just wrap the damn series up now.
Angelic Layer - I think it's cute and interesting... and some of the combat scenes are really interesting ^_^
Naruto - I dabble in it ^_^ cause it's pretty neat. I'm just not a die-hard fan.
Gravitation - ^________^ so much fun! Though I like the manga better... the anime has some kick-ass music.

Hey, remember me? I was the whiny kid in the Suu costume :D

SuperKawaiiNeko

Quote from: "Tsubasa"Suppose that is a factor, but I attribute it to a larger attitude change in the fandom.  With the speed, accessibility, and most notably cost (i.e. none) of digisubs, I've noticed a radical change in fandom in general.  Face it, modern fans are horribly spoiled.  Instead of thinking about how great fansubs are and how they aid the anime industry in the US, they take them for granted and are far more concerned with their own personal wants.  That's the primary reasons why I think the fansubbing community should either ease up or stop subbing all together.  If you look at the current market situation, fansubbing has outlived its original intention; that being to promote anime.  Licensors are picking everything up at a staggering rate (if Azumanga was licensed, anything can be). *sigh*  How I long for the good old days....

You took the words right out of my freaking mouth.

There are people out there who say that fansubs are more popular these days because of their speed and quality.

This is an illusion.

The fansub community is changing because the fandom is changing. As anime becomes more and more socially acceptable in america due to shows like DBZ on CN, (nothing against dbz) more and more average young american males (read: self centered jackasses) are joining the community, and are bringing their screwed up way of thinking with them. Lets face it, a good portion of the fansub community these days couldnt give less of a shit about weather a particular anime is licenced or not, or any sort of traditional, tried and true fansub etiquette. All they really care about is getting free anime.

Screw you, I say. I hate you and everything you stand for. Anime IS a niche market. Anime is NOT socially acceptable, and it wont be for another five or ten years at LEAST. This is an established community, with established rules and protocol, not to mention ETHICS. If you refuse to abide by them, you WILL be run out. Thats what I say.

Sorry, but those kinds of people really bug me DX<
President, Moldimort Inc.
A new division of Neko-Spaz enterprises worldwide
I mocked Haru! Ask me how!

Attendee 1998-2001 Volunteer 2002-2008 Swap Meet Staff 2009
Head of Volunteers 2010

kei

i don't really know why i don't like ppl to put anime as same as cartoon.  maybe that's because a lot of cartoon don't have a story/point at all.  Or maybe anime art is more interesting than cartoon art.  I think anime is more than cartoon.  Why?  you can watch cartoon on tv but only selective anime on tv.  $33 for Simpsons DVD for 1 whole season while $25 just for 4 anime episodes.  well i'm not going to throw $25 just to get 4 episode of cartoon.  cartoon dvd is cheap (except cartoon/disney movie) but why anime dvd is so DAMN expensive???
maybe if we can convince ppl that anime is more than just cartoon, ppl more willing to pay $25 just to get 4 episode of anime.
Yes, just like cartoon , anime is intended for children in japan.  Adult in japan don't watch anime but they read the manga --> I just know this faqs recently.
well that's just my 2 cents.   :D

Noir music rocks!!! For Naruto and Angelic Layer, I prefer to read the manga.

GokuMew2

Let's see.... I've been playing catch-up with anime since I got my new HD. So many things to dl. Sorry, no decriptions for the series. Maybe just comments and stuff.

- Tennis no Ouji sama
Just watched up to ep 80 today. Have and need to watch the OVA (though I'm not entirely sure it's an OVA) and eps 81-96 raw. No company better license this series while it's running! >_<

- GetBackers
Seen up to 44. Missed a few eps at the end of the Mugenjyou Arc, however. I work on this series. Much fun. ^^

- Scrapped Princess
Two words: Shannon nii. Gawd I love him! *_____* Fulle too! Miki sama and Konishi sama. What more do you need? =d

- Matantei Loki Ragnarok
It's sure a big change from Shannon nii to Yamino kun. ^^; Loki is much yummy in his real form. Love the OP and ED, too.

- GADGUARD
Waiting to get more of this. I have up to ep 6. Suwabe sama sounds smexy as Katana. =d

- Wolf's Rain
Yeah, I know it's licensed. Just watched up to 21, which is what my group had released up to. Need more. x_x Kiba!

-------------
Need to start watching (or continue watching)
- Gravion
- D·N·Angel
- Saint Beast
- Konjiki no Gash Bell
- Shaman King
- Tantei Gakuen Q
- Onegai Twins
- Triangle Heart

And tons of others.
< Mew >
FanimeCon Guest Relations (2009 - Present)
Person who gets Japanese guests

Tsubasa

Quotei don't really know why i don't like ppl to put anime as same as cartoon.  maybe that's because a lot of cartoon don't have a story/point at all.
You are incorrect, there have been a number of American cartoons with a substantial plot.  Pick up a Disney or Dreamworks animated movie sometime.  There have also been a few syndicated TV series.  I can't recall any names though.
QuoteOr maybe anime art is more interesting than cartoon art.  I think anime is more than cartoon.  Why?  you can watch cartoon on tv but only selective anime on tv.  $33 for Simpsons DVD for 1 whole season while $25 just for 4 anime episodes.  well i'm not going to throw $25 just to get 4 episode of cartoon.  cartoon dvd is cheap (except cartoon/disney movie) but why anime dvd is so DAMN expensive??? maybe if we can convince ppl that anime is more than just cartoon, ppl more willing to pay $25 just to get 4 episode of anime.
Your logic is flawed.  Anime is not more expensive because it's a marketing tactic to appeal to an older audience.  Rather, anime is more expensive because it must be.  Domestic licensors must purchase the license and cover translation, dubbing, and other domestication costs before they even consider marking up the price to make a profit.  Also, you must consider the factor that anime is a niche market, while child-oriented American animation is not and can be easily sold to most any parent with a child.
QuoteYes, just like cartoon , anime is intended for children in japan.  Adult in japan don't watch anime but they read the manga --> I just know this faqs recently.
Not necessarily.  While manga is definately more popular among the adult Japanese population, it's not rare for a grown Japanese person to tune into an interesting anime show occasionally.  But you are right, there is a childish stigma affixed to the medium there.

I'm not going to expound, as it's not within the scope of this thread, but I believe that the words "anime" and "cartoon" can be used interchangably.  Now back to the original topic.
-Tsubasa

jindo

Currently watching new series and old school anime.
New Series:
Sakura Wars TV

Old Series:
Kokowa Greenwood
Magical Knigh Rayearth TV
DNA^2
If you can afford a smart phone, then you can support the industries by "purchasing" the legit goods.

SuperKawaiiNeko

Tsubasa: I love you. Will you marry me?

Jindo: Ive seen the first episode of Sakura Taisen TV.

God, I almost cried.

I need more ^.^0

Skip MKR. I am a die-hard CLAMP fan, but after three volumes of the anime, I think I can safely say its mediocre. Stick with the manga.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why arent you at lavenderjade.dev-c.nl ?
President, Moldimort Inc.
A new division of Neko-Spaz enterprises worldwide
I mocked Haru! Ask me how!

Attendee 1998-2001 Volunteer 2002-2008 Swap Meet Staff 2009
Head of Volunteers 2010

Tsubasa

Quote from: "SuperKawaiiNeko"Tsubasa: I love you. Will you marry me?
Ara, I'm quite flattered.  However, I believe I shall decline. ^_^;

Sakura Taisen TV is alright, but the main problem with it is that it does not maintain a consistent tone with the games and other anime releases.  Sakura Taisen is supposed to be fun and playful, but the TV series is deadly angsty.  If you haven't played the game, then go ahead and watch it, but if you have, you'll be sorely disappointed.  I know I was.

MKR?  I personally liked the anime better.  The manga felt far too rushed.  A story as grand as that should get some exposition.  I believe a full-lengthed TV series really did it justice. *shrugs*
-Tsubasa