Panels Preview 2009 [Outdated now! Check the main site for the schedule!]

Started by Kava, August 06, 2008, 01:47:52 PM

bluechokobo

Quote from: otakuapprentice on September 25, 2008, 09:29:41 PM
hmm, point taken.

Still, i think the name should have some(if any) tell as to what said panel is about.

One thing I think that would drive the panel in one direction or another is do you make it all ages or over +18 only.  If you have it during the day all ages makes it a little safer but if you have this late night, people get rowdy, maybe they had a little something to drink and then things could get a little crazy. 

Personally I could do both, I'd prefer doing an all ages one because it invites more people into the panel but I think an over 18 panel invites more honesty and it allows people to speak more frankly.   This is one reason why I say you could have multiple panels at a con.

otakuapprentice

Quote from: bluechokobo on September 26, 2008, 08:46:47 AM
Quote from: otakuapprentice on September 25, 2008, 09:29:41 PM
hmm, point taken.

Still, i think the name should have some(if any) tell as to what said panel is about.

One thing I think that would drive the panel in one direction or another is do you make it all ages or over +18 only.  If you have it during the day all ages makes it a little safer but if you have this late night, people get rowdy, maybe they had a little something to drink and then things could get a little crazy. 

Personally I could do both, I'd prefer doing an all ages one because it invites more people into the panel but I think an over 18 panel invites more honesty and it allows people to speak more frankly.   This is one reason why I say you could have multiple panels at a con.
i agree; two panels would be good, so no one would be left out.

hmm, one pg-13 and one +18......i think that could probably work. it would probably be a good idea to do a pg-13 version first and see how it works out, then do a +18 version once sure that it will indeed work.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

ININ

I like to suggest a panel "Part-Time Anime Fans."  These are people who work full time, go to school full time, and/or married and have time to watch an average of two episodes of anime a day and play video games on the weekend like people.  Yet they have time to attend an anime con.  These people are not die hard otaku.  They love watching and collecting anime during their limited free time and from their higher priorities.

The panel is more of a gathering and meeting and talking to each other.  The audience is encouraged to talk among each other.  I'm happy to take charge of the panel suggestion.

slifertheskydragon

I was wondering if I could hold a "how to draw anime/manga" panel?

Raymei

Quote from: ININ on September 29, 2008, 12:48:42 PM
I like to suggest a panel "Part-Time Anime Fans."  These are people who work full time, go to school full time, and/or married and have time to watch an average of two episodes of anime a day and play video games on the weekend like people.  Yet they have time to attend an anime con.  These people are not die hard otaku.  They love watching and collecting anime during their limited free time and from their higher priorities.

The panel is more of a gathering and meeting and talking to each other.  The audience is encouraged to talk among each other.  I'm happy to take charge of the panel suggestion.

I think this is a good idea.
I know one of the things that had kept me away from cons for so long was because I felt intimidated by the other fans.  I was afraid I would feel out of place, but it was actually a really inviting, warm, welcoming con!
I think offering a panel like this might lay down the bridge to other "outsiders" who'd like to come in  XD

Quote from: slifertheskydragon on September 29, 2008, 01:25:22 PM
I was wondering if I could hold a "how to draw anime/manga" panel?

I don't think this is a very good idea.
If anything, to keep away from the "anime style" stigma.  Between Death Note, Naruto, and Shin Chan there's no real connection in the illustration style (and those are just 3 quick examples).

This may have been the thing to do 5-10 years ago (and was an activity in just about every Japan/anime club across America), but I think the anime fan culture has matured and evolved passed this point of seeing anime/manga as a drawing style.

If you're going to a "how to draw anime", I'd suggest it be specific "anime".
Like show how to draw cannon characters so you're really learning how to draw "anime" not quote/endquote "anime-style".

Kava

Most of these ideas sound good to me so far. Keep them coming!

Just one note about the 'start with nothing' panel. Keep in mind that you have to have 'something' to draw in your audience. You also have to have 'something' to put on your panel request form, to get it approved.  ;)
Rena
Panels Coordinator 2007-2014
Programming Director, 2015

Panels Twitter: http://twitter.com/FanimePanels

otakuapprentice

Quote from: Kava on October 02, 2008, 03:22:46 PM
Most of these ideas sound good to me so far. Keep them coming!

Just one note about the 'start with nothing' panel. Keep in mind that you have to have 'something' to draw in your audience. You also have to have 'something' to put on your panel request form, to get it approved.  ;)
well, a catchy name will help. and there will be something to put in the request form, don't worry about that.

Adam Cullen

Hello! Adam of C.C.R.Stars here.

My group and I hosted a panel at Anime Expo this year called "Cosplay: Overdoing It" and it was a pretty big success.  This panel focused on the more advanced side of cosplay, when money and time are not your first concerns.  We talked about what materials to use (and  avoid); tips and tricks for construction, and pitfalls that every cosplayer falls into...all with an eye for making a costume that is not just OK, but exceptional! 

Now, a group of us -- myself included -- are planing on attending Fanime '09, and we are thinking about hosting a panel or two.  I am curious to gauge opinions of whether or not a panel like this would go over well at Fanime. 

The second panel we are considering is on "Nerd Courting", which would not be a "how to" but rather an open forum to discuss why we nerds act the way we do, and understand why dating is so much more complicated for us.

Anyway, I am curious to hear your opinions and ideas.

-Adam, C.C.R.Stars.   
             www.myspace.com/ccrstars

PyronIkari

Quote from: C.C.R.Stars on October 04, 2008, 02:38:10 PM
The second panel we are considering is on "Nerd Courting", which would not be a "how to" but rather an open forum to discuss why we nerds act the way we do, and understand why dating is so much more complicated for us.

So, basically telling people that they're losers and anti-social? Nerds act the way they do, because most of the time they are introverted losers. They are socially awkward that don't understand how things work.

I don't get the point of this panel, nor what you're trying to accomplish.

otakuapprentice

Quote from: PyronIkari on October 04, 2008, 09:24:01 PM

So, basically telling people that they're losers and anti-social? Nerds act the way they do, because most of the time they are introverted losers. They are socially awkward that don't understand how things work.

who even uses the term "nerd" anymore? get with the times, yo.

but yea, i agree with mikey; you dont really need a panel like this to figure it out.

Raymei

Quote from: otakuapprentice on October 04, 2008, 09:26:39 PM
Quote from: PyronIkari on October 04, 2008, 09:24:01 PM

who even uses the term "nerd" anymore? get with the times, yo.

G4 (The gaming network, for those who might not know) has had a "it's a nerd's world" campaign going for the last 6-10 months, now.
They've had about 3-4 commercials with a rap done by one of (I'm pretty sure only) two guys.  Each rap ends with "It's a nerd's world".

The term "nerd"  :)  not to get chatty, but :P  has totally changed, is the thing.  Now nerds are the "underdog cool", in a way.  It's cool to be a nerd and into stuff like video games, tech, computer hardware, websites and whatnot. 
Since the internet has gone mainstream and information (ALL sorts of crazy info) is at our fingertips, we've discovered:
a) just because we're nerds, doesn't mean we have to look like...well...a "nerd"  ***
b) we can get all our nerdy stuff like that anime no one's ever heard of or DomoKun merchandise!
c) we're not alone!

***To detail, we started seeing all SORTS of styles from all over the world, not just what was in our immediate community or what we saw on TV.  But even to go beyond discovery, now we could buy what we needed to complete our wardrobes from our own home.  Stuff like anime shirts or harajuku clothes or even your favorite lolita styles were nearly IMPOSSIBLE to find anywhere without some serious travel, but now you just google search it to find it anywhere in the world! (just...have to pay for shipping  lol)
We have a lot more to choose from now to really find out our own individual styles. 

With this, it also became harder to be identified as a "classic-case nerd" and at the same time (with more and more people using the internet) people who would have before never been considered a "nerd" would fit into that categorization based on new-found hobbies or interests.  Before if you played video games (way-WAY before, mind you), you were likely to be considered a nerd.  But these days (especially thanks to the Wii opening up to a much wider demographic), it's so common it's just as expected as watching TV.

Another big hindering aspect of the previous "nerd" culture was the anti-social behavior  (or social anxiety/general awkwardness).
Now with chatrooms, instant messaging, and :D forums, we could talk freely and without as much of the "confrontation" attribute that conversations previously carried.  We could talk the way we want, not have to worry about appearance or the major blow of immediate rejection or the like.  People could get to know you and build relationships (that's friendships, too) on similar interests, conversational chemistry, and honesty (well...hopefully  T_T  lol).

Sure, in person our little sub-culture can still be a little awkward, shy, or maybe "quirky" to the rest of the world, but you can't expect so much change overnight (and on some level, you don't want to see a complete change).
Conventions like Fanime are part of the solution!  Joining us together and putting us face-to-face with the person behind the avatar and forum signature.  This is where we can build on each other and find comfortable interaction that's still "our own".

For you guys more like 19 and younger, you may not get this concept.  I was just old enough to have lived on both sides of the fence  @.@;;  but I'm sure some of the other members here who are older than me can give you a better idea.

But either way  :)  My name is Raymei, I am a nerd, and I'm proud!  XD  lol
I think it'd be a good panel.
It reminds me a bit of the "how to talk to girls" panel that's been so successful for years at a variety of cons.

PyronIkari

Quote from: Raymei on October 06, 2008, 09:48:31 AM
A bunch of stuff here.

wwwwwwwwwwww

You're so misunderstanding of this. We know what a "nerd" was/is/and represents. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Chances are, I'm a bigger nerd than you. Yet, I'm not a social twit, I'm good with people, and fit in with the rest of the world.

What was presented was that they wanted to talk about why nerds act awkwardly with people. This has nothing to do with "being a nerd" itself. It is more about those that are socially awkward. This is a trait that is often associated with nerds. This was the point of discussion. So your entire post didn't even apply to this at all.

It is like the "How to talk to girls" panel, and I've pointed out the apparent flaws in that already.

Steve.Young

Yea...well here I was hoping that it would happen so I could actually go and just laugh at the panels...
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

Raymei

I touched on the anti-social behavior thing.
Maybe that was too much text without an apparent goal in reading it?

Quote from: PyronIkari on October 06, 2008, 03:54:48 PM
You're so misunderstanding of this. We know what a "nerd" was/is/and represents. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Chances are, I'm a bigger nerd than you. Yet, I'm not a social twit, I'm good with people, and fit in with the rest of the world.

Yeah, me too.  I work as a waitress, go to bars, none of my friends watch anime, it's all good.  That doesn't mean it was always like that though.
Part of what helped me develop better social skills was first finding people who had similar problems.

It just seems like you shoot down every idea someone tries to post with a really angry tone. 

PyronIkari

I shoot down stupid ideas that come from people who have really put no actual thought or reasoning in to what they're doing. I support good ideas, that are well thought out and aren't full of bad holes in why it shouldn't happen. The changing room idea for example is a really good idea that can do a lot of good. There are problems of course in implementing it in a realistic way, but that is more about fine detailing and planning.

Ideas are ideas. There are good ones, and bad ones. This... is a bad one. The entire concept is something that shouldn't even happen. It turns into one person talking down to everyone else, in a simple thing. "Try". Nerds are nerds because they don't want to try to fit in to society. They can't put the effort out to not be anti-social. They can't put out the effort to accept society for what it is, and do things to fit into this society. You can still do these things, and still be a nerd... I'm proof of that, and if we take your word for it, so are you.

That's all there is to this. There is no panel. Nerds know what they need to do to fit in, they know what they can do, to be part of society and be social... BUT THEY CHOOSE NOT TO. Their reasons vary between fear, will, or just being a hypocrite and persecuting those that are normal, as how they say "normal" people persecute them for being nerds.

THIS IS the exact same concept as the "How to talk to girls" panel(though the actual how to talk to girls panel is nothing like what it's supposed to be really). And you can tell people how to do things to get out of it, but that is just giving them a fish. You can't teach them how to fish because it'd be impossible to teach someone to be social. You can just have them try. Now... the hardest part is them wanting to try.

THE END. THat was the panel.

EvilBunnyKid

Quote from: bluechokobo on September 25, 2008, 05:08:10 PM
Quote from: unclemilo on September 21, 2008, 01:10:24 PM
Quote from: otakuapprentice on August 31, 2008, 10:22:51 PM
how about a panel with no actual topic holding it up? just start off with nothing and see where you end up after one hour.

in other words, you bullshit a panel all the way through.

OMG... I would SO love to be the host of this panel!!

May I call the panel "Mental Grab Bag" ?

I'm not kidding! I love this idea!

When we did Anime BS at Anime Vegas it seemed very therapeutic to some of the people there.  you could tell they had a lot of stuff they wanted to get off their chest.

I did a panel like this along with my friend for Fanime 2007!!

We had an awsome time. It wasnt a real pannel. We just took over the room because the panel we wanted to go to was cancled...We sat up behind the table for like 2hrs talking to random people who came in and covered many topics...It was all kinda random... We came up with the name "Panel Imposters"!! It was awsome!! (I've already said that....)

Anyway... We recived permition to take over panels taht hd been canceled and talk about what ever we wanted (as long as it was appropriate....)

I couldnt do it last year (2008) Because my friend didnt come and none of my other roommates wanted to do it...

Adam Cullen

Wow, I am amazed that my one little sentence has generated so much controversy.  So let me clear things up a bit. 

Sorry, PyronIkari, I am afraid that I don't think that nerds are "losers and anti-social" at all, and if that is genuinely how you feel, then I don't know if fanime is the place for you, as it is pretty much built on the idea of celebrating our collective nerdyness.  I think we just do things differently, especially when it comes to relationships, and that it is worth exploring.  I actually have a long list of things that I plan to talk about, covering the full time line of a relationship, from the first glance to the final break up, as well as various different types of relationships, and how they interact.  The idea is to discuss the psychological and sociological origins of nerds, with a primary focus on their dating habits.  But don't worry, the panel won't be nearly as stuffy as that sounds, Humor is a big part of our presentation.

Now, as I mentioned, this is not a "how to" sort of thing, but rather an exploration of "why."  In fact, this panel will probably be of more use and interest to girls, as it is going to be more along the lines of "These are the kind's of things going through nerd guys heads when they like a girl." 

To shift gears a bit, I want to say a big thank you to Raymei for your posts.  I too consider myself to be a huge nerd, and I am quite proud of it.  It's good to see that others feel the same way.  I also do not believe that the term "nerd" still has the negative connotation that it once did.

So anyway, I am sorry that there has been a misunderstanding here, and I would be more than happy to answer any questions about the panel. 

Adam, C.C.R.Stars
                http://www.myspace.com/ccrstars

Kava

C.C.R. Stars - Cosplay panels usually go over very well at Fanime. We have a lot of cosplayers, and our cosplay panels are definitely among the best attended panels we have. I'm always looking to add more.

For your second panel idea, though there are a few like PyronIkari who tend to be vocal on the forums and don't like such things, panels of that type -are- pretty popular at Fanime and usually get good attendance. I remember the year we weren't going to have a 'How to Talk to Girls' panel, we got protests about it. So feel free to get more opinions before you make a decision. ^^
Rena
Panels Coordinator 2007-2014
Programming Director, 2015

Panels Twitter: http://twitter.com/FanimePanels

PyronIkari

Quote from: C.C.R.Stars on October 07, 2008, 01:21:18 AM
Wow, I am amazed that my one little sentence has generated so much controversy.  So let me clear things up a bit. 

Sorry, PyronIkari, I am afraid that I don't think that nerds are "losers and anti-social" at all, and if that is genuinely how you feel, then I don't know if fanime is the place for you, as it is pretty much built on the idea of celebrating our collective nerdyness.  I think we just do things differently, especially when it comes to relationships, and that it is worth exploring.  I actually have a long list of things that I plan to talk about, covering the full time line of a relationship, from the first glance to the final break up, as well as various different types of relationships, and how they interact.  The idea is to discuss the psychological and sociological origins of nerds, with a primary focus on their dating habits.  But don't worry, the panel won't be nearly as stuffy as that sounds, Humor is a big part of our presentation.

You seemed to not have read my posts at all. I said clearly, I'm probably a bigger nerd than you are, yet I am very social. Being a nerd is completely seperate. Actions associated with being a nerd, rather, a generalization or stereotype if you will, is what you'd be focusing on. The truth of the matter is, the stereotype is explained because most nerds ARE anti-social losers. That's why they become nerds in ther first place. I really don't want to go on this huge thing explaining the psychological mentallity of cause and affect that most nerds go through to become the anti-social losers they are. It's usually that way though. First someone is an anti-social loser which leads to them becoming nerds, it's not the other way around.

That's why I question even the merit of it. For a panel like this to *WORK*, the person needs to really know what they're talking about on a psychological/scientific level. The social aspect is incredibly important, and frankly, I'm not even qualified to speak that much on the subject, and I know for a fact... I am more qualified than most people to do so.

Will the panel be popular? Probably. Because nerds *want* to learn and "change" who they are to become popular. But realistically, nerds don't want to change. They don't want to put the effort to accept society and change. I already said that though, so now I'm just repeating myself.

Feel free to have the panel, but I think it's rather pointless on the grand scheme of things, but that's just because I'm looking at things for actual merit instead of just a collection of things to "have fun".

otakuapprentice

Quote from: PyronIkari on October 07, 2008, 06:21:00 PM
Quote from: C.C.R.Stars on October 07, 2008, 01:21:18 AM
too many letters.
let 'em do the damn panel. either it works or he fails miserably and in a blaze of glory......minus the glory.