Panels Preview 2009 [Outdated now! Check the main site for the schedule!]

Started by Kava, August 06, 2008, 01:47:52 PM

Steve.Young

Quote from: otakuapprentice on October 07, 2008, 06:29:04 PM
Quote from: PyronIkari on October 07, 2008, 06:21:00 PM
Quote from: C.C.R.Stars on October 07, 2008, 01:21:18 AM
too many letters.
let 'em do the damn panel. either it works or he fails miserably and in a blaze of glory......minus the glory.
What he said^^. Do the panel, if it works, great do i for future years. If not, well then let us not have it again.

A lot of panels and ideas are hit or miss kinds of things. Although there are those general ones like cosplaying and stuff that are really popular regardless just due to the subject matter.

When you think "Computer nerd" what do you think of? Glasses kid sitting at his computer all day programming, building stuff, and various other things. But honestly, thats not what we are at all. Sterotypes change over the course of time, as "Gaming nerds" have really become the new popular thing as people become more engrossed in footballs games, Halo, etc. Gaming is the new "Cool" thing to be.

Sterotypes of what a nerd are, change over the course of social development, kind of like how we view older trends in society and think "Damn what the hell was I thinking".

Just my thought, sorry if it the ideas are choppy or incoherent. I'm going to take a nap now...
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

Kava

xD; It seems to me, from all this banter, that perhaps an interesting panel topic would be a discussion on the evolution of the meaning of the term....

But I'm odd that way....
Rena
Panels Coordinator 2007-2014
Programming Director, 2015

Panels Twitter: http://twitter.com/FanimePanels

Raymei

Quote from: Kava on October 08, 2008, 10:40:20 AM
xD; It seems to me, from all this banter, that perhaps an interesting panel topic would be a discussion on the evolution of the meaning of the term....

But I'm odd that way....

Ooh! I like that.
My brother was taking some English history classes and would talk about the evolution of language.  I think it'd be a really interesting subject to apply to some of our pop-culture (especially with the turbo-booster ala internet  XD )

PyronIkari

But I'm odd that way....

This works a lot better than the original idea, and could actually be pretty good. It's a matter of finding people that know what the hell they're talking about well enough to do so.

But to be honest... it wouldn't be entertaining. It'd be informative, but not entertaining in the least. That's the trouble with panels. It's hard to have a panel that actually... teaches something, and is still fun to do.

Steve.Young

Quote from: PyronIkari on October 08, 2008, 08:39:14 PM

But I'm odd that way....

This works a lot better than the original idea, and could actually be pretty good. It's a matter of finding people that know what the hell they're talking about well enough to do so.

But to be honest... it wouldn't be entertaining. It'd be informative, but not entertaining in the least. That's the trouble with panels. It's hard to have a panel that actually... teaches something, and is still fun to do.

Lets face it, stupidity and drama are very entertaining.
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

Raymei

Quote from: Steve.Young on October 08, 2008, 09:35:21 PM
Quote from: PyronIkari on October 08, 2008, 08:39:14 PM

But I'm odd that way....

Lets face it, stupidity and drama are very entertaining.

Hence, reality TV  T_T;;;

Kava

I think things -can- be both informative and entertaining, but it's definitely a tricky tightrope to walk. Thus why good teachers are a rare and special breed.

I like to have a mixture of the informative and the entertaining in panels. Not every panel needs to be informative. If the information given in a panel is compelling enough, it doesn't need to focus on entertainment. It's all in how you present your topic.

Everyone likes something different, neh? ^^
Rena

jillytot

Hi,

I'm with a comic group called Lava Punch and i've been attending fanime for many years now. We'd like to host a comic jam / workshop panel where anyone can participate in doing comic jams with us, even non-artists. We need a half hour per jam session so i guess i'd like to do two sessions back to back. I'm not sure how this works, i can check here for updates i guess.

Kava

Quote from: jillytot on October 09, 2008, 11:30:54 PM
Hi,

I'm with a comic group called Lava Punch and i've been attending fanime for many years now. We'd like to host a comic jam / workshop panel where anyone can participate in doing comic jams with us, even non-artists. We need a half hour per jam session so i guess i'd like to do two sessions back to back. I'm not sure how this works, i can check here for updates i guess.

I'm not sure what you mean by a comic jam, but it sounds like it might be interesting.
Rena

jillytot

Quote from: Kava on October 10, 2008, 10:19:37 AM
Quote from: jillytot on October 09, 2008, 11:30:54 PM
Hi,

I'm not sure what you mean by a comic jam, but it sounds like it might be interesting.

It's a panel tag game i play with my friends when we get together to draw. Anyone can join, you dont have to be good at art at all, infact it usually makes it better if your art is horrible. So how do i go about requesting to host a panel anyways?

bluechokobo

since there are I think more new fans then old and as strage as it may sound most of the newer fans might not even know about Ranma.  Would there be an interest for a History of Anime Panel?

PyronIkari

Quote from: bluechokobo on October 13, 2008, 01:22:28 PM
since there are I think more new fans then old and as strage as it may sound most of the newer fans might not even know about Ranma.  Would there be an interest for a History of Anime Panel?

Once more, the idea is good, but the person better know what they're talking about. A friend of mine were talking about this, and I've been to panels similar to this at other cons. The person started watching anime in the mid 90's but they don't realize that... they were new in the 90's.

Think of it this way. You say kids today are new and don't even know about something like Ranma. In the 90's it was the same way. People that they were awesome because they watched Slayers, Ranma, Tenchi, Ah My Goddess, and Eva(keeping in mind that these are mid 90's cartoons). But they didn't know anything about late 80's cartoons or even early 90's cartoons. They only watched what was being released in the US, and missed out on a lot of amazing series at the time. Even the more famous ones like Maison Ikkoku, Kimagure Orange Road and H2 were over the heads of those throwing the panel. Urusei Yatsura people knew, but they didn't know the history of the series and what the series really did for the industry. Koche Kame was almost completely unheard of. And honestly, these are actually all extremely popular/well known series comparatively. 

This idea was thrown around a lot by a group of friends of mine 2 years ago, but I decided I didn't want to attempt this panel. It's much too hard to do and I understand myself that my knowledge on the subject is rather limited. When I talked to a friend of mine he was throwing stuff at me and a lot of it went over my head. I feel I have a much much much larger understanding that most people, as I did grow up with it. I had a lot of JP friends as a child and I would go over there to watch cartoons.

So in the end I will say the most important thing I feel about anything of this matter. Misleading and inaccurate knowledge is much worse than being ignorant. Misleading and inaccurate advice leads people to believe they understand something causing more inaccurate and misleading advice to spread causing lots more people to believe that it is truth. Eventually, it will become a truth despite being wrong...

This is how terms get coined incorrectly. It's why we have the travesty of "yaoi" and its incorrect understanding in the US.

Don't take this as me trying to scare you into not doing it. Despite what people think, I support panels and want people to bring out new things for people, just be careful with how you do it, and make sure you know what you're talking about. If you're up for it, then by all means do it, and I hope you do a good job.

Kava

I think it depends on how you want to present that history, honestly. I also think that you need to be more specific.  'History of Anime' is much too broad a topic at this point. You'd need to focus on the history of how Anime came to the US, or how it gained in popularity in the US, or how the basic plots and genres advanced and expanded, or... or... or...

I think there would definitely be interest for at least some of these, but again... it would depend upon precisely what you wanted to present, and how you wanted to present it.
Rena

MieAga

Fanime 2009 will be my 6th, but I'm new to this forum and fanime pre-planning. I'm interested in seeing some Ball jointed Doll panels. It's a fandome that is growing quite a bit and probably will draw a crowd for panels. Other than intro panels, Fanime really hasn't delved into this subject much.

I'm not sure if it's ok to volunteer in this thread, so  please understand I don't mean to be rude if it's not. I am actually interested in running a panel that focuses on pretty boy BJD's called 'Our resin bishounin'. It's been run at Yaoi Con by both JennyNemisis and Kellyhyme. The torch has passed to me. I'd be happy to give the panel preview if/when appropriate. timing wise I could see this being a great late night panel run opposite a main event...which I know is something that is always needed.

Also the Elfdoll Company Representative is a very good friend of mine. Elfdoll is one of the popular doll companies in BJD's. Junkyspot, a vender at Fanime, carries them along with several other doll companies. Anyway she and I, along with another enthusiast ran a last minute panel at PMX that went over more advanced aspects of the BJD hobby. I think she could be convinced to participate in a simular panel for Fanime.

Would either or both be of interest?

Darci Gibson/Mie'Aga

Kava

Quote from: MieAga on November 17, 2008, 03:43:28 PM
Fanime 2009 will be my 6th, but I'm new to this forum and fanime pre-planning. I'm interested in seeing some Ball jointed Doll panels. It's a fandome that is growing quite a bit and probably will draw a crowd for panels. Other than intro panels, Fanime really hasn't delved into this subject much.

I'm not sure if it's ok to volunteer in this thread, so  please understand I don't mean to be rude if it's not. I am actually interested in running a panel that focuses on pretty boy BJD's called 'Our resin bishounin'. It's been run at Yaoi Con by both JennyNemisis and Kellyhyme. The torch has passed to me. I'd be happy to give the panel preview if/when appropriate. timing wise I could see this being a great late night panel run opposite a main event...which I know is something that is always needed.

Also the Elfdoll Company Representative is a very good friend of mine. Elfdoll is one of the popular doll companies in BJD's. Junkyspot, a vender at Fanime, carries them along with several other doll companies. Anyway she and I, along with another enthusiast ran a last minute panel at PMX that went over more advanced aspects of the BJD hobby. I think she could be convinced to participate in a simular panel for Fanime.

Would either or both be of interest?

Darci Gibson/Mie'Aga
I think either this is the second time you posted this... or else I saw it much earlier and forgot to respond.... @.@;; Because I know I've seen something about this before. Wait... did you send me a PM? T_T It erased all my PM's recently, so I can't even go check.

Oye. ^^;;

Anyways, I think that this would be a great panel. Part of the reason why we've generally only had intro panels is because no one has offered to give anything else!
Rena

MieAga

I did PM you but hadn't heard anything about it so thought I'd get bolder in my asking:)

I'd be happy to coordinate and run both panels if you're cool with it. Just let me know what you need from me. "our Resin Bishounin" I'd be happy to run opposite the Masquerade and the more indepth BJD panel could be held just about any day as I'll be there from Friday afternoon till Monday morning. I'd also be happy to PM you my contact info to discuss in via email, phone, etc...

Kava

For everyone waiting, I'm sorry that the panel request forms are not yet up on the website. I -have- submitted them, though.. so it's a matter of waiting for IT and our webstaff to have the time to throw it all together and get it online.

Hopefully they'll be up in the next week or two.
Rena

Dragon Ninja

I have an idea for for anime panel. "What series would you want Dubbed?" Basically, we would talk about what Anime series we would want to see liscensed in America.

Fanime 2013:
Naruto Uzumaki (Naruto Shippuden)
Ichigo Kurosaki (Bleach)
The 9th Doctor (Doctor Who)

Downloads & Fansubs are evil. Support the Anime industry. Buy DVDs NOW

Pengin-san

Quote from: PyronIkari on October 13, 2008, 01:39:46 PM
This is how terms get coined incorrectly. It's why we have the travesty of "yaoi" and its incorrect understanding in the US.

Damn, you can sure say that again.

I agree 100%.  While "history of..." panels sure are fun, and I do believe that they can be entertaining, it gets really hard when you have something as broad as anime.  It's been around since the 60s (counting Astro Boy), and those are the real series that have been forgotten.  I'm running a semi-"history of" panel, but my topic, compared to anime, is fairly recent.  So I don't have too cover much ground.  The problem with an anime history panel is that it could lead to some biased history, as you might need to squeeze everything in in under two hours.

Otherwise, I would think it was a great idea.  Kava's got the right idea though.  Choose a specific event in anime history, and go off on that.  It'd be new, interesting, informative, and potentially very entertaining. 
I'm hosting a panel this year!  Come check out Visual Kei: More Than Music!  It will be filled with fun, glamor, and sheer awesome music!

Kava

Hopefully no one missed the announcement that the Panel Request forms are now up and live on the fanime site. You can find them by navigating to 'events', and then clicking on the events page and then clicking the link that says, "Go to panel registration form" or, by clicking Registration, and clicking the link for Panels Registration.

I do recommend reading the Panelist information page in FULL before you submit your panel request form. It will answer most of your questions and save us both a lot of time. ^^ Anything that it doesn't answer, I'm happy to clear up.

-Kava (Rena)
Rena