Panels Preview 2009 [Outdated now! Check the main site for the schedule!]

Started by Kava, August 06, 2008, 01:47:52 PM

Kava

March 30th:
Due to the large number of submissions, panels submitted between now and the cut-off date in April may not make it into the Fanime 2009 panels schedule. However, I am starting a panels 'wait-list', for those who are willing to put their panel into any available time-slot, should one of the current panels get canceled. Please note that if a panel goes onto the waiting list, they will NOT have a choice in day or time. They'll be offered a specific time-slot that has opened up, when it opens up, and will be given perhaps 24 hours to respond to that offer after it is sent, before it is offered to the next panelist on the wait-list.

Thank you to everyone! This is really a great year for panels. I'm going to want feedback from all of you on the desirability of various things we might do next year to increase the number of panels we can host. There are many options. We could open up earlier on Friday, extend our hours on Monday, stay open later (past midnight), or we could try for a fourth panel room. Keep in mind though, a fourth room means more competition for your audiences.

As a last note: There are still more guest panels that will be on the schedule. The ones listed here are just the ones that are ready for public disclosure at this time.

March 27th:
Panels not yet submitted may not be able to get into the schedule this year - See last post.

March 26th:
If you don't see your panel in this post, scroll down to the four posts below this which list the panels that have already been assigned to specific days! Thanks everyone! It's about 7:15pm. I'm in the process of responding to the panel requests that came within the last 24 hours. Hopefully by tomorrow night, I'll also have some Guest panels to list!

March 25th:
It's slightly after Noon in my time zone. There's two panel requests I've left to send an initial response to (this will be done before the day is out), and I still have some catching up with moving panels from pending to confirmed and replying to some of the responses panelists have sent. It's looking to be a great year for panels! For the Cosplayers, we have a FULL Sunday of cosplay panels lined up! I'll be roughing out a schedule mid-week next week, so those who are waiting on 'what day?' - I'll have most of you assigned to a preliminary day at least by next weekend. I know I'm behind this year, so my heartfelt thanks to all of you for bearing with me. <3

March 12th:
As of this moment: 10:59pm pacific time on March 12th, all panel requests sent in prior to March 10th have received a response. Moving forward, responses should come much faster than previously. We'll be making an effort also to reply to questions sent through regular e-mail, but if you think we may have overlooked your question, feel free to send it again.

Most panels are not fully confirmed until the panelist actually replies to our initial response. This ensures that no one changed their mind between submission and reply.  Others I have questions for, or have to make inquiries about. So, until things are actually confirmed, I'm going to list here panels that were submitted and are pending, panels that are confirmed but do not yet have a set day, and problem panels (these are mainly ones that I'm unable to contact the panelist).

Quote from: Pending Panels (which means... confirmed by the panelist, but I may have to cut a couple depending on how much room there is on the schedule...) Illustrate the Fanfic (1 hour)
The Anime List (1 hour)

Jrock (1 hour)
Jpop (1 hour)
Kpop (1 hour)
Why Girls should Watch Sentai (1 hour)
Lost Treasures (1 hour)

Your Otaku Business 101 (1 hour)
Your Otaku Business 201 (2 hours)
Your Otaku Business 301 (2 hours)
Anime Besides Bleach and Naruto (2 hours)
The Ultimate Deviant Art Panel (2 hours)
The Ouran Host Club Panel (1 hour)

Quote from: Confirmed but no definite date yetHow to Make a Fight Scene (1 hour - twice, so.. 2 hours - in the Dojo)
Story Story Die (2 hours)
Anime that Jumped the Shark (1 hour)
Anime Christmas (1 hour)
Your Anime Sucks (1 hour)
Anime BS (1 hour)
Manga.. manga... manga (1 hour)
The Great Debate (2 hours)
Visual-Kei: Androgyny & J-Rock (1 hour)
J-Rock: Harajuku and Beyond! (1 hour)
Everybody Dance! (1 hour)
How to draw fancomics! (1 hour)
Cthulhu for President (1 hour)
Consoles and the Industry (1 hour)
The RPG Genre (1 hour)
Restricted Rock Paper Scissor (2 hours)
Webcomics: An Insider's View (1 hour)
Your Own Webcomic: Year One (1 hour)
Webcomics: Behind the Scenes (1 hour)
Visual Novels (1 hour)
Fansites: Growing from Fanboy (1 hour)
Anime Impact on USA Cartoons (1 hour)
Create Your Own Anime (1 hour)
UniFaction Panel--with ninjas! (1 hour)
How to Talk to Girls (2 hours)
Gaia Online (2 hours)
Intro to Lolita & Fashion Show (2 hours)
Abridging A Series (1 hour)
Awesomely Bad J-music Videos (2 hours)
Create That Anime! (2 hours)
Smile! You're on NicoNicoDouga (1 hour)
Speed Comic Jams (1 hour)
The Melody of Hatsune Miku (2 hours)
Evangelion: Endless Debate (2 hours +)
Otaku Variable (1 hour)
Aliens at Versailles (1 hour)
Host a Japanese Tea Ceremony (2 hours)
Banzai Arcade (2-3 hours)

Quote from: As yet unscheduled Guest Panels
Gilles Poitras
Older Titles for Newer Fans (w/ Jonathan Osborne) (2 hours)
Anime for Parents (1 hour)
Anime and Manga for Grownups (1 hour)

Keith Burgess
Pin-Up Photography (1 hour)
Akuma to Eva: My Life in Anime (1 hour)
Keith Burgess: Uncensored (1 hour)

Ric Meyers
Breaking --And Staying-- Into Everything Plus! (1 hour)
Ric's Kung-Fu Flick-A-Rama (2 hours +)
Yelling Back at the Screen: You & Ric at the Movies & on TV! (1 hour)
Additionally - during his Breaking Into Everything panel, Ric will be offering to schedule one-on-one sessions to review your creations.

Ryan Gavigan
Anime Hell (2 hours)
Anime Hell Lounge (2 hours)

Rueben Langdon
Devil May Cry 3&4 (2 hours)
Resident Evil 5 (2 hours)
SF4's Ken Kicks Your Ass! ...or Not? (3 hours - Possibly in E-gaming)

Jonathan Osborne
Jonathan Osborne: Voice Actor (1 hour)
Script Reading with Jonathan Osborne (3 hours)
Whose Line is it Anime? (1 hour)

Carl Horn
Dark Horse Manga (1 hour)
Editing Manga (1 hour)
Showa Fansabu: Owarinaki Tatakai  (Fansubbing in the Showa Period: Endless Fight) [w/Ryan Gavigan] (1 hour)

Multiple Guests
Iron Fanime Panelists (1 hour) [Ric Meyers, Jonathan Osborne, Gilles Poitras, Keith Burgess]
Rena
Panels Coordinator 2007-2014
Programming Director, 2015

Panels Twitter: http://twitter.com/FanimePanels

Kava

The following panels are confirmed for 2009 and will be scheduled for Friday.

History of Zelda Documentary (2 hours)
There Will Be Brawl: Q&A (1 hour)
Nerd Courting (2 hours +)
Amtgard (1 hour - in the Dojo)
Rena

Kava

The following panels are confirmed for 2009 and will be scheduled for Saturday.

History and Intro to Manga Art (1 hour)
Cosplay & Airsoft:  The Link (1 hour)
Comedy Club (2 hours)
Serious Business (2 hours)
Rena

Kava

The following panels are confirmed for 2009 and will be scheduled for Sunday.
I think I should officially declare Sunday in Panels this year to be 'Super Cosplay Sunday' xD;

The Ultimate Geekdom Panel (2 hours)
Commoners' Games (2 hours)
Cosplay: Overdoing It (3 hours)
Cosplay: Going from 2-D to 3-D (1 hour)
Cosplay: Hard Costuming/Armor (1 hour)
Prop Making and Casting (2 hours)
Body Casting 101 (2 hours)
Armor: How to Make and Design (1 hour)
How to Cosplay on a Budget (1 hour)
Sewing Together A Cosplay Skit (2 hours)
Rena

Kava

The following panels are confirmed for 2009 and will be scheduled for Monday.
Rena

questionette

I would like to see a panel on modern Japanese trends - like music, fashion, hairstyles, mannors....all kinds of things that the average Otaku wants to know about where their source of Anime came from.

Also, I think it would be awesome to have a panel on Japanese foods, how to make them and the history :D

PyronIkari

Quote from: questionette on August 31, 2008, 08:20:49 PM
I would like to see a panel on modern Japanese trends - like music, fashion, hairstyles, mannors....all kinds of things that the average Otaku wants to know about where their source of Anime came from.

Also, I think it would be awesome to have a panel on Japanese foods, how to make them and the history :D

I had a panel like this 3 years ago. Only about 5 people showed up. We talked about a lot of misconceptions a lot of people have about current day Japan(and even past Japan). Not to be overly generalizing. But Japanese trends can be summed up into, "Whatever was trendy in America about a decade prior, with a twist to make it more acceptable in Japan."

The whole visual-kei thing of the mid early to late 90's was just a reflection of US glamrock fromt he late 70's to mid 80's. Hip-hop is taking off a lot more in Japan, more recently. I could go on but you get the point.

Another issue with this kind of panel(which I did run in to with the few people that did attend) was that people don't like being told their misconceptions of something are wrong. One of the things that came up was suicide rates, general happiness, and daily life in Japan. Some girl sorta refused to believe that the state of life in Japan is rather poor for your average person. How many women are still oppressed in a lot of different ways(Like choosing between marriage and a career). How anime isn't really smiled upon in general, and your fandom, can get you into trouble at work and socially. A business partner finds out that you, who is part of the team that's working on a project is an anime fan can really hurt the proposal even if it has jack nothing to do with anything. It says something about you personally, and that reflects to them.

A lot of people don't want to accept things like that. They want to go to Japan and think of it as a fantasy world. Even visiting Japan for an extended time(a month or two) is different than actually living there. I say this over and over again. I love Japan, I do... but I would never want to live there. 

otakuapprentice

how about a panel with no actual topic holding it up? just start off with nothing and see where you end up after one hour.

in other words, you bullshit a panel all the way through.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

Kazuko

Quote from: PyronIkari on August 31, 2008, 09:04:09 PM
Quote from: questionette on August 31, 2008, 08:20:49 PM

I had a panel like this 3 years ago. Only about 5 people showed up. We talked about a lot of misconceptions a lot of people have about current day Japan(and even past Japan). Not to be overly generalizing. But Japanese trends can be summed up into, "Whatever was trendy in America about a decade prior, with a twist to make it more acceptable in Japan."

The whole visual-kei thing of the mid early to late 90's was just a reflection of US glamrock fromt he late 70's to mid 80's. Hip-hop is taking off a lot more in Japan, more recently. I could go on but you get the point.

Another issue with this kind of panel(which I did run in to with the few people that did attend) was that people don't like being told their misconceptions of something are wrong. One of the things that came up was suicide rates, general happiness, and daily life in Japan. Some girl sorta refused to believe that the state of life in Japan is rather poor for your average person. How many women are still oppressed in a lot of different ways(Like choosing between marriage and a career). How anime isn't really smiled upon in general, and your fandom, can get you into trouble at work and socially. A business partner finds out that you, who is part of the team that's working on a project is an anime fan can really hurt the proposal even if it has jack nothing to do with anything. It says something about you personally, and that reflects to them.

A lot of people don't want to accept things like that. They want to go to Japan and think of it as a fantasy world. Even visiting Japan for an extended time(a month or two) is different than actually living there. I say this over and over again. I love Japan, I do... but I would never want to live there. 
I agree,  Japan isnt all anime playing 24/7 or some sort of magical place. it has its issues too that people here dont want to accept, I have stayed in japan for two weeks thats not enough time per say to see how one lives though with my host family the mother was stay at home/reminded me a bit of the 50's home domestication even since she holds the pursestrings.

As for fashion I have done my reserch, its all retro with the twist, Lolita fashion is from the 18th century rococo fashion/victorian that well its earliest started with angelic pretty in the 70's but didnt hit full on till 80's :d visual kei is the glam rock from 70'80's  like you said but Visual kei is pretty much dead imo or its all oshare kei or something to that. Hiphop is pretty popular, I saw a girl with the mexican flag painted on her nails in harajuku i loled a little bit

as for food theres too much to cover some of its tasty and some of its a little different outside of bennihana/sushi bars in the US

Raymei

lol I know a lot of webcomic artists were there last year, just most of them were only attending.
I've got a webcomic myself, but I don't think I'd get anyone in a panel  T_T;;;  I've been on hiatus for a while with back-work.

But I'd like to see some panels ON web-comicking  :D
Anything that could help with like... "How to draw productively" or "tips and tricks with photoshop" or a workshop on sound effects would be GREAT!  Sound effects are one of the few under-appreciated comic elements.  They can really make or break a page, and a big part is how well they fit into the rest of the page.
I think that would be a really invaluable panel a lot of hopeful artists would appreciate some help with.

Also maybe something that shows you several different approaches to coloring.
It's one thing to have someone show you how *they* draw or color, but I think it would be more helpful for someone to show you several different ways you could start off to give people something they can pick and choose from.  Not all techniques work for one person, and showing you a quick set of choices could help those realize how far you can play around and find your own niche.

Just some ideas  :)

Also:
"Who's Line is it Anime" was *hilarious*.
Ebner and the guest actor, Richard Waugh, were just fantastic (along with host Jonathan Osborne).
I would love to see that back again this year  :)

Paladin Cecil

I've got several ideas I plan to submit when the panel submissions open:

The Anime List: This went over really well this year and I look forward to doing it again next year. It's a discussion panel where we all discuss our favorite choices of various anime subjects and of the ones that get selected, we vote on which ones are our favorite.

Here are a couple of clips from this year's panel:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZXUUHKjGjoo

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9CryAIdWe-A

Story Story Die: I look forward to doing this event a third time and I'd like to try to get a guest or two to participate in it. I was thinking that it'd be a really cool and unique way for con guests and fans to interact.

Here are a couple of clips from this year's Story Story Die panel:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yEEBuHcn7Bw

http://youtube.com/watch?v=H9ytuy5A5Z4

Anime Christmas: I did this event for the first time at Kumoricon this year and the show-up for it was a lot higher than expected and I think a lot of you will really like this idea. It's a Musical Chairs-style game where people sit in a circle and pass around a large present. When the music stops, the person holding the gift will unwrap a layer and underneath each layer will contain either a gift (which the person will get to keep) or an anime-related penalty (where the person will have to do what the message on the paper says).

Gundam Wing illustrate the fanfic: For this panel, a crack Gundam Wing fanfic will be read to the audience and they'll come up with illustrations from various scenes.

Did Your Favorite Anime Jump the Shark: This is a panel where we discuss what all anime series we thought jumped the shark and why.

Raymei

Story, Story Die seemed like it was a really good idea, but didn't quite have the right.... execution?  (no pun intended)

Out of the people on stage, there was like 1 really good one, 2 that were trying their best that were hit or miss, but it missed the cooperation and group interactivity needed so desperately in an exercise like this.
None of the story tellers (save the 1 mentioned and a few times the other 2) didn't really seem to listen to each others stories and try to make their part work with it.  They were all just sort of telling their own stories.

Another problem was that it seemed like characters were picked that the storytellers didn't know.

I think it's a good idea, but hard one to do improvisatory.

Anime list is a biased activity, I think.

Paladin Cecil

Quote from: Raymei on September 08, 2008, 12:21:53 PM
Story, Story Die seemed like it was a really good idea, but didn't quite have the right.... execution?  (no pun intended)

Out of the people on stage, there was like 1 really good one, 2 that were trying their best that were hit or miss, but it missed the cooperation and group interactivity needed so desperately in an exercise like this.
None of the story tellers (save the 1 mentioned and a few times the other 2) didn't really seem to listen to each others stories and try to make their part work with it.  They were all just sort of telling their own stories.

Another problem was that it seemed like characters were picked that the storytellers didn't know.

I think it's a good idea, but hard one to do improvisatory.

Anime list is a biased activity, I think.

The reason why Story Story Die went over the way it did last year was because there weren't that many people who showed up for it. I've held this event before multiple times prior to this year's Fanime and usually, there are more people in attendance and the people who show up usually have more knowledge on more anime series. If I hold it next year, I plan to do more games of it on Stage Zero as well.

bluechokobo

Quote from: otakuapprentice on August 31, 2008, 10:22:51 PM
how about a panel with no actual topic holding it up? just start off with nothing and see where you end up after one hour.

We actually started doing a panel like that.  We call it Anime BS.   It kind of started by accident at Anime TucOn but we officially started it at Anime Vegas.  While Anime TucOn was all ages, Anime Vegas we turned it into an +18 panel just in case of language.

It was really fun at both cons and the topics that came up didn't even overlap at all.  Both cons also filled the room so I'm hoping it would also be popular at Fanime.

That is one of the panels that we planned on submitting for 2009.

Spiritsnare

I'm thinking very much about hosting a panel on music gaming - juggling between all music gaming, limiting it to Bemani (e.g. "there's more than just DDR!"), or limiting it to pop'n music, as it's my current obsession and I wouldn't have to do as much work for a single game.

Then comes the part on who I should cater it to - the 'casual' crowd who may be curious about the game, or the hardcore crowd who look for song or genre titles in every word uttered.

Alas, in any case, let it be known that I am indeed considering a panel.
epic progressive

vox

unclemilo

OMG... I would SO love to be the host of this panel!!

May I call the panel "Mental Grab Bag" ?

I'm not kidding! I love this idea!

bluechokobo

Quote from: unclemilo on September 21, 2008, 01:10:24 PM

When we did Anime BS at Anime Vegas it seemed very therapeutic to some of the people there.  you could tell they had a lot of stuff they wanted to get off their chest.

otakuapprentice

Quote from: Spiritsnare on September 15, 2008, 02:00:02 AM
I'm thinking very much about hosting a panel on music gaming - juggling between all music gaming, limiting it to Bemani (e.g. "there's more than just DDR!"), or limiting it to pop'n music, as it's my current obsession and I wouldn't have to do as much work for a single game.

Then comes the part on who I should cater it to - the 'casual' crowd who may be curious about the game, or the hardcore crowd who look for song or genre titles in every word uttered.

Alas, in any case, let it be known that I am indeed considering a panel.
i think i may have a title for your panel, Spirit:

"BEMANI: From '97 to '09"

not the best name i would use for a panel like this. I host.

Quote from: bluechokobo on September 25, 2008, 05:08:10 PM

When we did Anime BS at Anime Vegas it seemed very therapeutic to some of the people there.  you could tell they had a lot of stuff they wanted to get off their chest.
that name gives it a main topic point, with that being anime. my idea has no point holding it up to start with, no actual subject material.

You start the panel off with nothing, and work your way through the hour. it might end up being something epic; it might just blow up in your face and be completely bad. That is the risk you take(and its a fun one i might wanna take).

Who's with me?

bluechokobo

Quote from: otakuapprentice on September 25, 2008, 08:40:18 PM

that name gives it a main topic point, with that being anime. my idea has no point holding it up to start with, no actual subject material.

You start the panel off with nothing, and work your way through the hour. it might end up being something epic; it might just blow up in your face and be completely bad. That is the risk you take(and its a fun one i might wanna take).

Who's with me?
[/quote]

Even though it had the name anime in the title people took it to topics about hollywood, what got you into fandom, things like that.  We've even been asked about people hooking up at cons.  I see your point at people may come in with a preconceived notion but personally I think regardless of the name if you held this type of panel every day at every con you'd come up with different and potentially WTF did they just say moments.  Of course there would be some overlaping of topics.  That's why we like doing it. we live for the WTF moments. :)

otakuapprentice

hmm, point taken.

Still, i think the name should have some(if any) tell as to what said panel is about.