So do you guys actually buy anime/manga?

Started by Jordeezy, August 10, 2008, 11:34:02 PM

Jordeezy

I personally do. I know that I can get most of it free from pirating from the internet, but I feel that buying shows support for my hobby. You know?

I've bought tons of manga and I own a couple anime box sets, and posters, wallscrolls, etc.

Yeah I know, buying manga/anime can be a little expensive, and sometimes half of my paycheck goes into this stuff. But I think it's worth it.

What about you guys?

Barnes

Yes, but I only buy what I can afford. Which is not much.
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

G.I.R

I buy most of my Anime, but download torrents of stuff that's not commercially available until it does come out.

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: G.I.R on August 12, 2008, 01:19:04 PM
I buy most of my Anime, but download torrents of stuff that's not commercially available until it does come out.

Same

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Shi_Musouka

If it is from a series that I absolutely adore/love, there is no question about it that I will buy the manga/anime of it, money pending.

I'm actually looking into torrenting only unlicensed anime if possible.

Shinsengumi

I still buy my anime/manga but when it comes to unlicensed anime I use torrents. But right now I'm using torrents on all since I have the money to buy any :(
You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

ThatBlueDinosaurGuy

I tend to buy mine, I actually like having hard copies of the anime/manga, I don't download much except for stuff that I'm having a pain in the ass finding even online.
Kono bangumi wa, goran no sponsor teikyou de, o kurishimasu ka

videogirlc

I buy both anime and manga, and whatever other merchandise that catches my eyes. I prefer to have good quality dvds and prefer to read my manga in book form. It's not cheap but I like to support the creators by buying their manga. I do read licensed manga online, but mostly for stuff that takes forever to come out here. But as soon as the graphic novel is out I buy it. For unlicensed manga I downlaod it. Bittorrents I don't touch, because i have no time to watch them. Even though there is stuff I want to see.

Dominium

I buy what I can.
I favor, er, clothes over anime/manga, but when I get really into something, I'll go out of my way to buy it.
I'm a picky anime/manga purchaser though, so it has to be really epic in my mind to go through the trouble of buying it.

But, normally, I just read it online or watch it on YouTube.
I don't download.
abnormally attracted to sin.

questionette

I buy manga because I like seeing my bookshelf get filled up :D

I don't buy anime, however.  It takes too long for it to come out on dvd D: I need it nowwww~

Nyxyin

Let's just say that, at this point, the total original retail value of my official anime and manga collection would pay rent on a two bedroom apartment and all-you-can-eat Mongolian BBQ every night for over a year (and that doesn't include my OSTs, wallscrolls, plushies, video games, and other related merchandise).  Drugs would've been cheaper: if I had a drug addiction instead, I'm sure I'd be dead before spending so much money.

Sora

It depends, but I buy manga a bit more. I used to own some anime too, but I sold most of it.
"Don't give me any orders."

Akito Starwind

I torrent to see if I like it. and if I love it then I Buy it only as a box set.... I hate buying one Vol dvd at a time. :(  I just bought box sets yesterday of Chobits, Those who hunt elves, Azumanga Daioh, Utawarerumono  and Vandread. now i have to save up money again. I made the mistake of buying anime I had never seen once before..... " waste of my money ". If I saw it before I would not have bought it....  and yay for FUn for picking up Geneon's Works.
Dealers Room Staff 2004
Dealers Room Staff 2005
Dealers Room Staff 2006
Dealers Room Staff 2007
Dealers Room Staff 2008

JohnnyAR

Nightroad

I buy mostly...tho' there are some things that you just can't buy, and for that stuff the internet is the best.

Quote from: Akito Starwind on September 11, 2008, 06:15:15 PM
I torrent to see if I like it. and if I love it then I Buy it only as a box set.... I hate buying one Vol dvd at a time. :( 
I do the same, watch on the internet: Buy if Love!!! I agree I always wait for the box set...it feels like a waste of money to buy one dvd at a time...
Check out my fairly rescent DA account!
I wanna see my fanime friends on there!
http://robotdreams.deviantart.com/

Darryl Mendoza

If i like a series enough, I'll buy it. Manga, anime, anything related that i can get my hands on, with means of getting the cash to do so.
Extra Fresh League
MvC2: Team Matrix, Team Santhrax
Guilty Gear Accent Core- Slayer, Bridget
Street Figther 3rd Strike- Makoto, Dudley, Akuma

Mizuki

When I have the ability to read japanese, and understand it, then yes, yes I will.

Zefie

For anime...I usually watch it online, then buy it if I really really like it. After all...DVDs are expensive. But I always buy my mangas. o_o
Please don't steal my cookies~

shinjiboy

Im very picky about what i read and watch. 

That being said the only time I will actually go out and buy an anime is if it is an oldschool series that gives me a sense of completion when i finally own it.  For example, Ronin Warriors (Legendary Samurai Troopers) and Tekkaman Blade.

As for manga, I currently buy Vagabond by Takehiko Inoue.  Anyone who is facinated with any aspect of Samurai and Samurai history should read it.

Gatsby

I watch/read anime/manga online because I really can't afford it at the moment but if I like a series enough I am going to buy it once I can afford it. I enjoy having a hard copy of a series more than just files on a hard drive.