7 Reasons the 21st Century is Making You Miserable

Started by Barnes, August 14, 2008, 12:59:59 PM

Barnes

I found an interesting read on www.cracked.com
Anyway, just read it and weep.

http://www.cracked.com/article_15231_7-reasons-21st-century-making-you-miserable.html

Basically, it says the internet, text messaging and whatnot are making us antisocial.
Hey, wait a minute, didn't we all know that?  ???
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

mDuo13

The article seems to generalize and pick on emos more than necessary, but there's some truth there. My cynical side watches and laughs.

Nyxyin

I'm very happy with technology in general, and there's no truth in that article for me.  I'm thrilled that the digital age belongs to me and my friends, and I feel sorry for all the dinosaurs who agree with the article and are going extinct.  I had no problems filtering out the rest of the world before the Internet.  If it weren't for Internet trailers and reviews, I wouldn't get out and see movies at all.  I was very shy and easily filtered out the rest of the world before by just avoiding eye contact with strangers, but now that I have my DS everywhere I go, it's a great conversation piece and helps me make new friends.  Rather than just standing there awkwardly when other people get together and chat, I can hold interesting conversations due to the news and digests I've read on the Internet.  I can easily pick and choose to remember the good things instead of the bad, so when other people are saying that the news only reports bad things about video games (like Crazy Taxi stories), I can show them all the news articles about people putting DDR in elementary schools and Wii Sports in retirement homes and how video games are making people more fit and more intelligent.  The Internet is a great place, and it's made the world so much better than ever before.  I think all the children born today will be able to reap the full benefits of it too.  Those that the Internet makes miserable were probably going to be miserable with or without the Internet, and they were just looking for a scapegoat to blame it on.  There are many positives and negatives in everything, and I think the Internet has far more positives than most other things, especially for me.

Haruka

#7- I have spent at least three years of it, unemployed.  LAME!
#6- no flying cars
#5- no electric cars, even!
#4- gas prices
#3- wars
#2- Buffy:TVS, Angel, Xena, X-Files= CANCELED!  Mega LAME!
#1- 8 years of the Bush administration, 'nuff said.
Join me at Ani-Jam 2011 in Fresno, CA.  August 20-21

Steve.Young

It's almost screaming at me "EMO NERDS OF THE WORLD UNITE!".

Technology in fact makes me more social, cause I can arrange things to do with my friends with text messaging, facebook, and various other technological contacting methods previously unavailable to me. I also find out more information using technology about things going on in my community and I tend to attend them.

I think this also depends on the the kind of people that you have to deal with on a constant basis. Like say if your job is something where you have to just sit in a closed office all day, you won't be very sociable with the rest of your co-workers. I have made some long time friends with some co-workers at my old company. We still talk time to time and try to hang out as much as possible. As someone who does business a lot with other companies, I have a lot of face to face meetings with people all the time. You eventually develop a relationship with them, albeit a professional one most of the time, due to the fact that you interact with them on such a consistent basis. Technology doesn't make us more anti-social, it just gives us more excuses as to why certain percentages of the population are anti-social. There's statistics online about how many successful relationships have developed through internet dating and people getting together and married in person after a while. Heck, I personally know a few people who have met through online games and chatrooms, developed a relationship, met in person, started dating, and now are a happy couple with kids.

Technology has the power to make our lives easier. It has the power to help relieve some of the noise generated by annoying people. It has the power to connect us and it has the power to separate us. It's really just about how each person goes about using the technology available to us.

Just my opinion.
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

Barnes

The article is created by Cracked Magazine.
A HUMOR magazine, alot like MAD Magazine.
Just a reminder.
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

JohnnyAR

rude32

Quote from: JohnnyAR on September 05, 2008, 10:25:56 PM
MAD is better
Agreed. If i get a pic of a celeb holding a MAD magazine, I get a 3 year subscription. With Cracked I don't get nothing.
A hero forever loyal to the flames of war now rests in Outer Heaven

RUDE: Rub Up Desperate Elephants- Thanks shy-cosplayer

Stormfalcon

Quote from: rude32 on September 07, 2008, 12:30:05 AM
MAD is better
Agreed. If i get a pic of a celeb holding a MAD magazine, I get a 3 year subscription. With Cracked I don't get nothing.

Do they even have a print magazine anymore?  I thought they shifted entirely to their website and changed the type of humor they put out.

My Cosplay Photography gallery, including FanimeCon 2001-2014:
http://stormfalcon.smugmug.com/CosplayPhotography

My DeviantArt Page:
http://stormfalcon.deviantart.com

Gatsby

Well that was an amusing read. I do agree texting is a horrible (yet convenient at times) way to communicate.

JohnnyAR

Quote from: Stormfalcon on September 07, 2008, 08:57:07 AM
MAD is better

Do they even have a print magazine anymore?  I thought they shifted entirely to their website and changed the type of humor they put out.

MAD has its own TV show, beat that Cracked!

People seem to be getting less honorable these days.

G.I.R

MAD is better

Yeah, but it's a mere colored ad filled shadow of what it was.  BTW, I think he meant "Mutually Assured Destruction" not Mad magazine.

Stormfalcon

Quote from: G.I.R on October 08, 2008, 03:23:03 PM
MAD is better

Yeah, but it's a mere colored ad filled shadow of what it was.  BTW, I think he meant "Mutually Assured Destruction" not Mad magazine.

I was referring to Cracked magazine not being in print anymore, not Mad.
My Cosplay Photography gallery, including FanimeCon 2001-2014:
http://stormfalcon.smugmug.com/CosplayPhotography

My DeviantArt Page:
http://stormfalcon.deviantart.com

G.I.R

Quote from: Stormfalcon on October 08, 2008, 06:35:57 PM
Quote from: G.I.R on October 08, 2008, 03:23:03 PM
MAD is better

I was referring to Cracked magazine not being in print anymore, not Mad.

Oh, well that's different then.

JohnnyAR