California Ballot Initiatives 2008

Started by G.I.R, September 27, 2008, 11:33:49 AM

questionette

Random side comment: I have Mormons that live down stairs from me and have a big "Yes on prop 8" sign posted on the sidewalk so cars that drive by see it.  I'm really against prop 8 and think it shouldn't even be on the ballot in the first place - we live in a nation that claims freedom and equality for all, so why not gays?  Anyways, I don't know whether I should talk to my downstairs neighbor about taking down the sign because not everyone in the building agrees with it, or just put up a couple of signs of my own in the front of the building.  I know it doesn't really matter that much, but it bugs me anyways. D:   

Stormfalcon

I'd say the latter.  They have the right to state their views.  By the same token, you also have the right to state your views as well.  They're not likely to take down the signage unless forced to, so it may be better to counter it with your own.

On the other hand, I presume you live in an apartment building and rent, or are living in a condo complex.  You might want to check your rental agreements and/or other papers associated with your residence.  Your landlord (or residents' association) may have rules against political signage (like a lot of other things) if it's a multi-unit complex.
My Cosplay Photography gallery, including FanimeCon 2001-2014:
http://stormfalcon.smugmug.com/CosplayPhotography

My DeviantArt Page:
http://stormfalcon.deviantart.com

Kikkoman

Quote from: questionette on October 28, 2008, 05:42:13 PM
Random side comment: I have Mormons that live down stairs from me and have a big "Yes on prop 8" sign posted on the sidewalk so cars that drive by see it.  I'm really against prop 8 and think it shouldn't even be on the ballot in the first place - we live in a nation that claims freedom and equality for all, so why not gays?  Anyways, I don't know whether I should talk to my downstairs neighbor about taking down the sign because not everyone in the building agrees with it, or just put up a couple of signs of my own in the front of the building.  I know it doesn't really matter that much, but it bugs me anyways. D:   

My friend supports prop 8 but he got his sign taken away at 3am in the morning ~o~llll His neighbor saw some strange people in a truck take away the sign and replace it with a big "NO". That's like infringing on people's rights to express their views. Oh that was a short story about a prop 8 sign, not really related to your post lol. Except both are prop 8 sign stories! High five!

potatofreek

I say no on Prop 8 because it is unfair to those gays, and doesn't really hurt me as a non-gay. >__<
Potatoes Rule the World.
Deal with it.

TC X0 Lt 0X

Hey, my Family is mormon, think what I have to deal with. The sad thing is how they contradict themselves. They say it's not natural, and therefore is wrong. On the same token, there driving cars and think that is perfectly fine.  ::) :P ??? :-\
The reason I have denounced religion.

EDIT: No on Prop 8 BTW, as it is against all that this country stands for. That is, if I was old enough to vote XD

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

ewu

From the apartments I lived in, we were only allowed to post in our windows and not on apartment property. A complaint to the landlord would prob get it removed, but thats also dependent on where the landlord's sympathies lie.....
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

astroboy

I now live in Seattle so my opinion about California ballot initiatives don't count for much ha ha!

There's proposition 1 up here in Seattle which is basically a proposal to build a Light rail line.

I voted NO because frankly I'm happy with the bus system already and I really don't want to pay more taxes.
There's a bus stop 4 min walk from where I live that runs every 10 min during rush hour time. nifty huh?  ;D

K&K4ever

From What I could tell about prop 2, The actual prop itself didn't say anything about eggs from Mexico from what I gathered, the only thing it does is states that Chickens should be treated humanly.  The big people who are pushing the No on 2 are the people who sell the eggs.  But I haven't read all of what is written on the prop.  So if any who has READ THE PROP ITSELF (not the people who are for or against it, but the proposition itself) you can correct me :-[
The sun was raising up above the high
and dense entangled spider's web.  The dew
was dripping from the silky strings and down
through canopy to underbrush.  It splashed
the puddle making one more fountain spring.

Mizuki

You can sue them for obsctruction of your right to freedom of speech.

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: Mizuki on November 03, 2008, 10:15:15 PM

You can sue them for obsctruction of your right to freedom of speech.
Wait, they aren't stopping him from putting up a sign of his own, so how can such be applied?

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.