Pokemon (Y,B,R) (G,S,C) (R,S,E) (D,P,P) which are the best in the generations?

Started by Gatsby, September 30, 2008, 10:16:15 AM

Gatsby

Stemmed from my opinions in my "What games are you looking forward to" this topic is born.

In my opinion Yellow is just as good as blue (and I only like Blue more than red was because I caught all 151 pokemon legally). I will give you that Scyther does give Red some amazing win points.

When it comes to Gold, Silver, and Crystal I never owned Crystal, but I loved Gold the most.

Emerald was better than Ruby and Sapphire since you could catch all the three main legendaries.

So we shall see how Platinum stacks up.

JTchinoy

Starting at Yellow, none of the games could compare to the "wow" and "holy shit" phenomenon that the original red/blue created.  Red and Blue introduced a whole new kind of game, with cute yet powerful monsters that you train as your own.  That first obsessive year of red/blue was magical in my opinion.  When yellow hit the scene, I did indeed enjoy getting all 3 starters myself, but the game didn't have the same magic and wow of exploring a completely new world.  Who knew that PoS magikarp would turn into such a godly pokemon? I DIDN'T.  I threw that sucker away until I faced a gyarados.  OMG that was magical.  Struggling to get my first dratini, wow that was some damn pride right there.

I think diamond/pearl indeed succeeds the pokemon series nicely, but I don't think even it can compare to the wow that the original experiences of training and evolving had.

I continue to follow this franchise, but I acknowledge that none of the succeeding games can ever recreate the original magic that red/blue created.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

TC X0 Lt 0X

Well I'm sure if you never played Pokemon and you picked up Diamond/Pearl, you would have the same reaction you had with Red/Blue.
The reason they don't feel as glamorous as the originals is that they go through such similar scenario so much.
R/B, G/S, R/S, D/P, they all have a similar scenario, with different environments and more Pokemon the newer it is.
In the end, the newer one is the better generation, as it has everything from before, plus extra.
Just how I think Halo3 is better than Halo2 though, I still remember the great times and experiences of H2 that outshine H3.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Gatsby

I will agree with what you said JT about the feelings of excitement, but I got that thrill from Yellow since it was my first pokemon game. Then I bought blue and red (in that order).

JTchinoy

That's probably why you're biased towards it.  I had blue first, so that magic was in blue/red to me.  elite 4 was stupid hard to get ready for.  T_T

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

G.I.R

This is how I describe yellow to people that haven't played it yet.  "Good news, you start with Pikachu.  Bad news You start with Pikachu."   :D

TC X0 Lt 0X

Your Pikachu gets hell of piss off is you try to evolve it.

"STFU Pikachu, take this stone, Now, and get in your damn ball!!!!"

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

JTchinoy

Quote from: G.I.R on October 01, 2008, 05:56:15 AM
This is how I describe yellow to people that haven't played it yet.  "Good news, you start with Pikachu.  Bad news You start with Pikachu."   :D
hahahahahaha so true.
now you HAVE to get a butterfree to beat onix.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

trupnoi

well at least you can get all 3 first gen starter pokemon in yellow... instead of trying to find someone who has it

shinjiboy

Wow, interesting thread.  Red/blue were definitely my favorite.  The year it came out on gameboys I remember some people link trading through cables.  Trade my zapdos for your articuno.  Whoops, that wasn't an articuno, that was a crabby. (stuff like that happened)

I played yellow.  Beat the gold in Japanese and then bought Emerald about a year ago.  Both arguments are valid.  The original concept was revolutionary.  But with each addition, the gameplay became more refined and animated.  And then we got color! 

But I'm glad we got out of the Pokemon craze (i.e 1999-2000).  Though some of those girls dressing up as something like a pikachu do look cute.

G.I.R

Quote from: JTchinoy on October 01, 2008, 11:35:06 AM
Quote from: G.I.R on October 01, 2008, 05:56:15 AM
hahahahahaha so true.
now you HAVE to get a butterfree to beat onix.
I don't know.  I did pretty well with my Fushigidane (bulbasaur).

Gatsby

I remember playing Blue and beating all of the first 4 gym leaders with just my Charmander. How I did this you might wonder? Lots and lots and lots of training and tons of potions. :P I did have other pokes, but I never used them. I was a young lopsided trainer. Now my teams are versatile. One thing I dislike about trainers today (especially with WIFI trading available) is that everyone is concerned with EVs and IVs. >_< What ever happened to just catching a pokemon you like and training it until it was powerful? Now it's, "Oh I have to catch this pokemon with these stats and then face these certain pokemon so I can maximize how much they grow in stats." Idk about any of you, but my caught pokemon with normal training is still just as good as a team of specially bred and trained pokemon.

JTchinoy

Hate to break it to you but my maxed EV/IV yanmega and my snorlax with max hp will demolish your team.  :D

Did we receive bulbasaur before facing brock in yellow?  could've sworn u didnt get it until after.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: Darth_Diclonius on October 02, 2008, 10:48:13 AM
I remember playing Blue and beating all of the first 4 gym leaders with just my Charmander. How I did this you might wonder? Lots and lots and lots of training and tons of potions. :P I did have other pokes, but I never used them. I was a young lopsided trainer. Now my teams are versatile. One thing I dislike about trainers today (especially with WIFI trading available) is that everyone is concerned with EVs and IVs. >_< What ever happened to just catching a pokemon you like and training it until it was powerful? Now it's, "Oh I have to catch this pokemon with these stats and then face these certain pokemon so I can maximize how much they grow in stats." Idk about any of you, but my caught pokemon with normal training is still just as good as a team of specially bred and trained pokemon.

True, true.
Still, it adds depth for competitive players.

And yes, I remember when I had a LV100 Char. and level 35 everything else.

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

JTchinoy

level 60 gyarados, level 45 everything else when i reached to elite 4... bad times.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

TC X0 Lt 0X

Indeed.

Dream Team (Kinda):
Garchomp
Gengar
Rhyperior     
Froslass
Metagross
Blissiny -OR- Snorlax -OR- Slaking -OR- Torterra (Haven't decided, something that can heal itself and absorb damage)

Would have Dragonite in there (mmm, Dragonite), but friend already called dibs on it.
This is a GB oriented team BTW.

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

G.I.R

Quote from: Darth_Diclonius on September 30, 2008, 10:16:15 AM
Stemmed from my opinions in my "What games are you looking forward to" this topic is born.

In my opinion Yellow is just as good as blue (and I only like Blue more than red was because I caught all 151 pokemon legally). I will give you that Scyther does give Red some amazing win points.

When it comes to Gold, Silver, and Crystal I never owned Crystal, but I loved Gold the most.

Emerald was better than Ruby and Sapphire since you could catch all the three main legendaries.

So we shall see how Platinum stacks up.
Hey what about Fire Red, and Leaf Green?

Gatsby

Idk, my team is pretty amazing, and I haven't lost very many battles. Maybe at Fanime we shall duel to see who wins?

My dream team:
Mewtwo/Alakazam
Gengar/Spiritomb
Dragonite
Blaziken
Zapados
Metagross

I switch up my team sometimes.

TC X0 Lt 0X

Gamebattle's Pokemon rules (Singles):
http://gamebattles.com/ds/pokemon/ladder/singles/rules

They don't have doubles no more though =/

Still these are the rules set I use.

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

JTchinoy

Snorlax
Weezing/dusknoir
yanmega
metagross
salamence
medicham

my favorite lineup :)
got me 2nd in a tourney, only lost because the guy DID THE WRONG MOVE when i predicted for the RIGHT MOVE.  So if i played him assuming he doesn't switch, i would've smashed him for free.  -_-''  irony, huh?

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X