Information needed by panelists...

Started by Kava, October 09, 2008, 11:37:29 AM

Kava

So, it's getting to be that time where we get the ball more firmly rolling. Attempting to toss aside traditions from the last couple of years, I'm preparing and hoping to get the panel request forms up on the site sometime in the next month.

I thought perhaps I'd ask for input from the panelists who come to these forums. The information that's in the sticky in this forum, "Notes and Dates for panelists' is all information that I intend to revise and update and post on the website this year, rather than having it available only here in the forums.

However, I want to know if there is additional information I could give to y'all that isn't currently covered there. Is there anything else that would be good to list on the website for general information for panelists?

On the other end of the spectrum, with the panel request forms, are there any additional fields y'all wish were there so that you could give additional information? I'm asking previous panelists here... obviously new panelists won't have seen the forms yet, since this year's versions aren't up yet!

So, feel free to post your thoughts. I'll be able to keep making revisions to the webpage as we get closer to con. Once I set the forms for this year, they'll be done, but I can always take into account ideas for improving them next year. ^^

~Kava (Rena)
Rena
Panels Coordinator 2007-2014
Programming Director, 2015

Panels Twitter: http://twitter.com/FanimePanels

Chun

The one thing that stood out in my mind was the ability to have internet access during the panel. If there was some sort of option on the need of that (Since in the past two years rooms with internet have been a limited quantity) I think it'd be a bit more beneficial to those who need it; if I remember correctly some panels had wifi access when they did not need them.

~Chun

Su-Cool. There's Not Enough Of It.
Fanime Panelist (Pangya: 2007, 2008; Vocaloid: 2009, 2010)

Kava

Quote from: Chun on October 09, 2008, 11:45:46 AM
The one thing that stood out in my mind was the ability to have internet access during the panel. If there was some sort of option on the need of that (Since in the past two years rooms with internet have been a limited quantity) I think it'd be a bit more beneficial to those who need it; if I remember correctly some panels had wifi access when they did not need them.

~Chun
Ah. Yes, I discussed that with tech and some others. Unfortunately, it seems that it's too expensive for us to specifically set up net access for a room. =/ So, panels have internet access only if they're able to get one of the free wifi's running throughout the hotel or con center, which can be persnickety and aren't always reliable even when reception is decent.

I would -like- to set up a panel room as an 'internet' room, but from what I've been told, we can't afford to do it. So unfortunately, I cannot guarantee internet access in panel rooms. I tell all panelists that if they can get the wifi to work, they're free to use it during their panel, but that I can't guarantee it and they should be prepared to present their panel without access to the internet.

Most of them end up using powerpoint, I think, or flash animations, if needed. Screenshots, in some cases. If it becomes possible to do this in the future, I definitely want to do it, because I have about a half dozen panelists who would prefer internet access for their panels. It just isn't something that I can do at this time.

You are right though. I should add something to the information for panelists that clearly states this without them needing to ask. I cannot accept panels which will definitely require internet access to present, and I cannot guarantee internet access at all. Thanks for reminding me of that! ^^
Rena

Aya Brea X

Can we request panel size?

Also, do you guys keep track of if this is a return panel from the previous year?

Kava

We try to take expected audience size into account. We won't necessarily give a large panel room to someone who requests one, unless we have reason to believe they will generate an audience to fill the room.

On the other hand, as I think I mentioned previously in your thread, panels requested late have to be fit into existing available rooms for the most part, so this sometimes results in a panel that would otherwise have a larger room getting a smaller one since the larger rooms fill up faster.

We do keep track of our panels from year to year, and take into account previous attendance. This last year, your panel was new and we had no idea what kind of audience it would generate.

Hmmm.....

I suppose a few brief notes about how we determine room placement wouldn't be a bad idea to include. So noted!

Perhaps I can also add something on the panel request form that specifically says, 'what do you estimate to be your expected audience size?', in addition to the questions about whether or not the panel has been given before, and what previous attendance has been.
Rena

johnnymcbdass

Any word on when we will have the opportunity to fill out one of these amazing forms?

Kava

Rena

macaulayman

This is my first year so pardon my lack of experience but how about a info page on the panelists? Maybe something where I could say more about my panel and get feedback on what people want to see in it before the con?

Kava

Most panelists who want to do something like that do it here in the forums.

Being able to do something like that on the website would require a brand new interface. I think it's a good idea, but we're probably still at least a couple years off from being able to implement something of that type.
Rena