Appropriate PG-13 Anime- HELP!

Started by Haruka, November 01, 2008, 10:29:22 PM

Haruka

Hey, guys! 
      My sister has finally relented on her Geek ban and is allowing my nephew to read Naruto.  I also talked her into letting me have him for Con in 2009.  I want to get him into more anime, but I have lost the pulse of the G-PG-13 series.  He's 12.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I'm open to both dubs and subs.
                             Thanks!
Join me at Ani-Jam 2011 in Fresno, CA.  August 20-21

LordKefka

Please make use of this topic here: http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,10931.0.html for suggestions. Thank you.

EDIT: I didn't mean to delete this, only lock it.
FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

PyronIkari

Uhm, I don't know why you think it's a good idea to have a general recommendation thread. It's usually a bad idea, because eventually that thread will grow incredibly huge, and finding stuff within the thread that applies to the recommendation you're looking for becomes a total pain. Recommendations are usually specific with references being specific... because of that, they should in general be specific threads.

If you want to make an all bearing thread, do what MT did and make a "Favorites of all time" thread. In which people can list their favorites and what they recommend and WHY(this is important) for general reading.

This time however the OP is looking for something SPECIFIC for a SPECIFIC demographic.

OP: 12 yo Nephew? You need to give us more details because just stating that will give you a list of like 1000 different possibility. What does he like? Naruto as a reference, you can easily state Bleach as a reference, or Dragon Ball, or YYH, or any Shounen Jump fighting series made from the beginning of time.

LordKefka

Quote from: PyronIkari on November 03, 2008, 12:51:40 PM
Uhm, I don't know why you think it's a good idea to have a general recommendation thread. It's usually a bad idea, because eventually that thread will grow incredibly huge, and finding stuff within the thread that applies to the recommendation you're looking for becomes a total pain. Recommendations are usually specific with references being specific... because of that, they should in general be specific threads.

If you want to make an all bearing thread, do what MT did and make a "Favorites of all time" thread. In which people can list their favorites and what they recommend and WHY(this is important) for general reading.

This time however the OP is looking for something SPECIFIC for a SPECIFIC demographic.

OP: 12 yo Nephew? You need to give us more details because just stating that will give you a list of like 1000 different possibility. What does he like? Naruto as a reference, you can easily state Bleach as a reference, or Dragon Ball, or YYH, or any Shounen Jump fighting series made from the beginning of time.

Hmm. That's an interesting idea, though one problem could be where providing what one likes isn't enough (even if they happen to all be great anime). It's a lot of work but if there is enough people willing to contribute, it'll work out great.

Or it can be a topic where that person post their top-whatever anime is and have people suggest based off of that. Either way, I want your idea of having "favorite anime" listed and some sort of place where people can not just read what's there but post and interact as well to give everyone reading an idea what interest him. I mean, it's essentially the same thing as what you've said but more of a hybrid of a help and interactive topic. Again like your idea but the help part to also involve the seeker to post something. I'm probably explaining it like crap, but I'll get back to this in a few days when I clear my head from school. Thanks for the suggestion. I can put it out as a topic in the future.
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

sysadmin

I like the concept of the Recommendations megathread, and I continue to support its existence.

Megathreads are not like regular threads: they aren't for browsing.  For recommendation threads in general, the tendency is to just skim the recent pages, make your post, then stick around for a page or two of replies, then leave.   It functions to consolidate a lot of mini-discussions.

I don't think there should be an expectation of "You must read every other recommendation before asking about your own tastes", at least for expected giant threads.

The "explain why your like your favorite anime" is a different concept, and probably an interesting starter.  But it's not the same as a recommendation, of course.

I appreciate the feedback, even if we disagree.

PyronIkari

Quote from: sysadmin on November 03, 2008, 04:39:13 PM
I like the concept of the Recommendations megathread, and I continue to support its existence.

Megathreads are not like regular threads: they aren't for browsing.  For recommendation threads in general, the tendency is to just skim the recent pages, make your post, then stick around for a page or two of replies, then leave.   It functions to consolidate a lot of mini-discussions.

I don't think there should be an expectation of "You must read every other recommendation before asking about your own tastes", at least for expected giant threads.

The "explain why your like your favorite anime" is a different concept, and probably an interesting starter.  But it's not the same as a recommendation, of course.

I appreciate the feedback, even if we disagree.

Then you're stuck with a thread where no one cares. When asking for recommendations of a specific sort, it's different than browsing for just something to look into in general. I.E. I'm looking for a new sports series. I don't want to weed through 6 pages of posts only to find out there's only 4 sports anime listed, all of which I have already seen before. If I make a new post in that thread, then it'll just be people repeating themselves over again which, sorta defeats the purpose, and if anything promotes MORE mini discussions, unless someone is constantly weeding through it and consolidating peoples' posts.

The idea of the "Favorites" thread is that, almost everyone makes a single post, listing their top series, and anyone whose looking for something to watch in general, they can easily browse through the page and see lists of series and quick synopsis and why people like them.

By allowing people to have separate threads for specific recommendations they don't need to filter this out, they only get content they care about for reasons they care about.

I.E. the OP can make this thread, and get series that are suitable for a 13yr. old kid. However, in a mega thread, people don't always list things like "Not appropriate for young teens as there is slight nudity, and it's a little bloodier than some other series". Or they don't list things like "A 13 yr. old might not be able to grasp the concept of this series".

I can talk about... i.e. Chaos;Head. Which is a pretty well done series(though comparatively not even close to the game so far). I can promote it as awesome, and thrilling and great with design... and although it's not nec. Inappropriate for a 13 yr. old to watch, the themes and ideas would go over a 13 yo's head. So the OP might read my post and think it's good for a 13 yr. old, only to find out, it's not good for his nephew, wasting both of their time.

A megathread isn't a bad idea, but it shouldn't remove the purpose of smaller recommendation threads. A megathread is for general, when people are looking for "Anything" to watch/read. Specific threads are for those looking for something. Not to mention there's a part of tastes... in that...

... I can post recommendations for one demographic, but it would totally miss for another demographic that's slightly different. There has to be specifics. If someone asks for a comedy series, I need to know how much anime they watch, and what kind of comedy. I can't recommend series like Zetsubou Sensei, Sun Red, or Koche Kame to people when the references and background needed to actually enjoy the show past the slap stick is quite a lot.

So if the megathread happened as you wanted... it would just be meta discussion after metadiscussion after metadiscussion for people looking for something specific, none of which linking to anything else anyone wants. Then to find something in the thread, you'd have to weed through tons of pages hoping to find a topic that is close to the one you want. Not to mention it's a pain when two different conversations are going on at once, and you have to figure out which posts are referring to what you want, compared to those that you don't want.

Really, separate topics for separate topics. Even if they are requesting stuff, what they are requesting is different per person.

OP: Sorry for the metadiscussion. I request again though that you give us more specifics in what you're looking for, so a better recommendation can be given.

LordKefka

It's a tough thing to decide because it seems not many people are posting for things to be recommended to them to begin with (the current state of the Anime Chat). I'm just trying out the megathread to see if it'll spark any interest in new people posting. Also, you could have people be specific in a megathread when they ask for a recommendation since what they request should be treated differently as it's a different individual with probably different taste to the previous poster. 

In the suggestion for a "your favorite 10 anime", the problem is whether enough people will put in the effort to type up their top 10 anime in paragraph form and whether we'll get enough contributions to create a diverse number of titles for people to choose from. People can easily just go to ANN or some other place have look at the top whatever anime. Also, The Total Anime Recommendation Topic should just serve the purpose of pointing out what the best anime is out there but what the most suitable anime is for the person who is requesting it. So basically, it doesn't mean someone has to create a whole new topic for his question to be answered as he can choose to be as specific as he wants in the megathread. It also doesn't mean he has to look at the previous poster to look decide what he should watch. Also, if new people create a thread every time, it's already redundant if people have to answer with the same answers all the time, but that's not really avoidable tbh. It's either the question is a "stand alone" or a general question on anime he/she should watch based on his preference in a certain genre.

But I have to say though, bringing up the point of "your favorite 10 anime" is still an interesting idea that could be hybridized. Since you suggest a topic where people list their top 10 anime but people with specifics questions should still be encouraged to make topics, why not just sticky a topic with a good list of top anime in so and so genre, have people refer to it, and have them post in that topic if those mentioned aren't good enough or there are questions pertaining to those anime or even specific questions relating to a certain preference. In the run-on I just gave to cluster my thought before it floats away, what I mean is why not tie specificity with the provided generalities to pin-point something for someone instead of fragmenting as to refer to some "top 10 anime topic" then have them make a topic separately if it doesn't work and etc etc. It's just something to think about for now and it COULD work if, again, enough people are willing to work on making a list and typing paragraphs. Anyways, this is probably not the best place to talk about it and I wish you posted your thesis on this issue in the "Updates and Changes"..-_-;

In fact... yeah... no more here about this issue (after this post of course =P)

Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

RaddaX2

hm... anyways what the other guy said is right, anything from shonen jump should be a safe bet.  Actually just think about the Adultswim/toonami line ups in the past years because your nephew is the target audience for the majority of those shows.  Shows would be Trigun, inuyasha, Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop, FMA...

Personally I think you should save your nephew some time and just introduce him to Soul Eater and TTGL as they're both around 60 or something episodes combined to complete/catch up, and at this point they're far more interesting and gaining popularity fast.  I don't know how far your nephew is in Naruto and Bleach but if he's really just started reading now then I don't think he'll be able to catch up with the series, what with them having like +300 eps each (including the those painfully long filler arcs).

Also it's up to you to decide if it's appropriate enough but I really recommend Great Teacher Onizuka, preferably the manga.  Teach him what it is to be MAN.  But if you don't want him interested in that then atleast try FLCL, though I'm not sure if he'll be able to see past the randomness.
It ain't the meaning of life but the feeling of it.

PyronIkari

Quote from: RaddaX2 on November 06, 2008, 09:45:46 AM
hm... anyways what the other guy said is right, anything from shonen jump should be a safe bet.  Actually just think about the Adultswim/toonami line ups in the past years because your nephew is the target audience for the majority of those shows.  Shows would be Trigun, inuyasha, Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop, FMA...

Personally I think you should save your nephew some time and just introduce him to Soul Eater and TTGL as they're both around 60 or something episodes combined to complete/catch up, and at this point they're far more interesting and gaining popularity fast.  I don't know how far your nephew is in Naruto and Bleach but if he's really just started reading now then I don't think he'll be able to catch up with the series, what with them having like +300 eps each (including the those painfully long filler arcs).

Also it's up to you to decide if it's appropriate enough but I really recommend Great Teacher Onizuka, preferably the manga.  Teach him what it is to be MAN.  But if you don't want him interested in that then atleast try FLCL, though I'm not sure if he'll be able to see past the randomness.

Except Gurren Lagann and GTO are totally not appropriate for a 13yo by American Standards. Both of them have strong sexual themes and a bunch of other issues. FLCL... what 13 yr. old is going to understand the point of FLCL? Hell most people in their 20s completely misunderstood FLCL. To them it's all about random crap happening for no reason and just being cool for no reason.

As I said, the OP needs to really give more details before anything legitimate can really be suggested.