SOUL CANDY: Otaku Rock

Started by soulcandyband, December 01, 2008, 05:39:09 PM

soulcandyband

Hello, our name is Soul Candy, Seattle's Local Otaku Rock band. We would love to be able to introduce ourselves to you. You can check our youtube www.youtube.com/soulcandymusic or our myspace page www.www.myspace.com/soulcandyband to learn more about us.

We just recently did a successful convention debut at Washington's Aki-con and would love to get the same opportunity in your area!

Peace. Love and Otaku Rock
SOUL CANDY

PyronIkari

If you're asking to perform, you posted this in the wrong section. You should be messaging the people that run live programming and events.

Now that the official stuff is done.

Time to tell you want I think. First off... all that is available are HORRIBLE video clips on youtube. The sound on them is horrid, in an already horrid environment... so it's hard to actually comment since it's so distorted.

HOWEVER, what you can notice is... you guys don't know anything about acoustics. The drummer needs to ease up... a lot... because he completely drowns the bass to where you can almost not hear the bassist at all. The vocals... sure you don't have a horrible voice, but man... there is no change in your voice at all in every song. Different kinds of music calls for different influxes of your voice, but your voice always sounds the same no matter what song, no matter what note.

The guitarist seemed okay. He adjusted well enough.

And as I said, I can't hear the bass at all, the drums are drowning him out so much that the subtlety of the bass is all loss.

If you want anyone that has any real taste or opinion to take you seriously at all in any way shape or form... get a HQ sound clip made. The mic on a crappy handheld isn't going to do anything but make you sound horrible.

Gatsby

Mikey is correct, this should be in Live Programming if you want to perform at Fanime.

For a low quality recording it wasn't great but it wasn't bad. You should look into trying to do a few high quality videos so people get a better idea what you sound like. I'm not a musician in anyway, so I can't give a knowledgeable critique. But if you can, come to Fanime. I would come and listen to you guys play since you're better than many of the local bands that I end up getting dragged to listen to.

PS: Pyron, don't scare away potential con goers. That would be no fun at all. Try to play nice.

soulcandyband

Quote from: PyronIkari on December 01, 2008, 10:10:49 PM
If you're asking to perform, you posted this in the wrong section. You should be messaging the people that run live programming and events.

Now that the official stuff is done.

Time to tell you want I think. First off... all that is available are HORRIBLE video clips on youtube. The sound on them is horrid, in an already horrid environment... so it's hard to actually comment since it's so distorted.

HOWEVER, what you can notice is... you guys don't know anything about acoustics. The drummer needs to ease up... a lot... because he completely drowns the bass to where you can almost not hear the bassist at all. The vocals... sure you don't have a horrible voice, but man... there is no change in your voice at all in every song. Different kinds of music calls for different influxes of your voice, but your voice always sounds the same no matter what song, no matter what note.

The guitarist seemed okay. He adjusted well enough.

And as I said, I can't hear the bass at all, the drums are drowning him out so much that the subtlety of the bass is all loss.

If you want anyone that has any real taste or opinion to take you seriously at all in any way shape or form... get a HQ sound clip made. The mic on a crappy handheld isn't going to do anything but make you sound horrible.

@PYRON: Unfortunately, we had no call on the sound board or the hook ups during that con. Our bass player is actually a sound engineer by trade but we werent allowed to mess with the equipment that the people who were doing the sound had. We had to make do with what we had. We DO agree that there was no bass IN THE VIDEO but the it was loud and clear during the  live performance. The singer was pretty much drowned out so we're pretty surprised you were able to hear her over the crowd (especially the camera man) singing over her. As for our overall performance, we would love to have you see our show live so you can get a better assessment of our band.

@DARTH: Thank you for your warm welcome, we certainly like those kind of welcomes.

PyronIkari

Quote from: soulcandyband on December 02, 2008, 09:46:36 PM

@PYRON: Unfortunately, we had no call on the sound board or the hook ups during that con. Our bass player is actually a sound engineer by trade but we werent allowed to mess with the equipment that the people who were doing the sound had. We had to make do with what we had. We DO agree that there was no bass IN THE VIDEO but the it was loud and clear during the  live performance. The singer was pretty much drowned out so we're pretty surprised you were able to hear her over the crowd (especially the camera man) singing over her. As for our overall performance, we would love to have you see our show live so you can get a better assessment of our band.

@DARTH: Thank you for your warm welcome, we certainly like those kind of welcomes.

Oh I'm not talking about sound board hook ups. But, really... it's up to the band to balance out the sounds of the instruments. Your drummer hardly does this. He pounds way too hard and he's drowning out the rest of the band.

I spent a good amount of time when my friend was in my band playing conductor and telling them how to sound adjust. The drummer in that band was amazing... really amazing and he could steal the show alone, but he realized it was a band and would tone it down to match the paces of everyone else. Lead guitarist originally played in metal bands, moving to a punk rock band, he had to tone it down quite a lot to match with the rhythm guitarist. The bassist knew his place and played accordingly. The vocalist had a wide range, but wasn't fully confident so during lives, the rest of the band needed to compensate with this and match the vocalist accordingly.

As I said, your guitarist needs to learn to play in a band instead of just playing the drums. Your vocalist needs to work on changing her voice to the appropriate song.

She sounds fine in Glamorous Sky but she uses that same voice and expression in all the other songs and they don't match.

You guys can play instruments and she can sing, but you guys suck as a band.

Okay, this isn't... the best example... because the comparison is so different, but the idea is the same. SKIN performed at Anime Expo. All of their members are used to being in the spotlight of their band, so when you put all of them together, each one is trying to explode, but when all of them are doing it at once, as a band, it just sounds like noise. There's no consistency. So even if each member is amazingly talented, by not working together, they sound horrible. I love Yoshiki as a drummer, and I love Sugizo's control, and I love Gackt's voice(though not so much his songs)... Miyavi I think is trash... but when you put all of them together, it just sounds horrible. What I heard of SKIN made me laugh at how horrible they were.

Even though I can hear the ACTUAL quality of your band, I can clearly hear a lot of flaws.

soulcandyband

Thank you for your assessment and criticism, we will take some of your pointers into account however, we hope to get to have you in our audience to get the chance to change your opinion about us.

jemz

Hello Soul Candy,

Thank you for interest in playing for FanimeCon. As the website is going through a revamp, I know our emails haven't been easily accessible.

If you are interested in playing for FanimeCon's MusicFest (which is our music concert dept.), please submit your inquiry to [email protected]. Although the dept. head for MF does check the forums on a regular basis, posts like this can easily slip by our notice.
HR Staff
FanimeCon 2014 - 2018

Director of Extravaganzas
FanimeCon 2008 - 2012

Hey you are my PINKY // never cheat on me // 赤い糸で縛って

soulcandyband

Thank you very much for the info. We already sent an email to the address you provided. We hope to be able to get the chance to perform for everyone soon. :)