Do Dealers Accept Credit Cards?

Started by OGIGA, December 22, 2008, 06:36:18 PM

OGIGA

Just wondering... do dealers generally accept credit cards there? I hate carrying cash.

Mod edit: title

ewu

there are some dealers that have cell phone CC machines (cool) and some that do the transfer paper....occasionally there are cash only dealers.....ATMs at con that take MC and visa too tho.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

OGIGA

M

Note: Most dealers will charge you a few dollars extra when you use a credit card to make up for the fee that they have to pay whenever a customer uses a credit card.
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

Barnes

On a similar note, are Debit cards accepted as well?
I feel stupid for asking.  :P
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

Jerry

I dont remember if Dealers accepted them persay...

unless they have the Visa or MasterCard logo.

I dont remember that many ppl having a "pin based" transaction...

but keep in mind there are several ATMs around athe convention.

They're known as SAVE points :D

how ironic and Final Fantasy like :P
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Jun-Watarase

Major dealers are able to take credit and debit, but that's a very small minority. Most dealers take only cash. As Jerry mentioned, there are plenty of ATM machines around the area, so take the liberty to use those.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

Jerry

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on January 22, 2009, 03:43:49 PM
Major dealers are able to take credit and debit, but that's a very small minority. Most dealers take only cash. As Jerry mentioned, there are plenty of ATM machines around the area, so take the liberty to use those.

oh i almost forgot, just watch out for those ATM fees - $1.50 or $2.50 (from the ATM itself) PLUS whatever your bank charges for using non-related ATMs.

so be careful.  >:(
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

GokuMew2

Quote from: Jerry on January 22, 2009, 03:46:10 PM
oh i almost forgot, just watch out for those ATM fees - $1.50 or $2.50 (from the ATM itself) PLUS whatever your bank charges for using non-related ATMs.

I would suggest walking over to the SJSU campus and using the ATMs there to avoid those fees.
SJSU has ATMs for Wells Fargo, WaMu, BofA, and I thiiiiiiiink Bank of the West?

Also remember that ATMs do run out of cash.
< Mew >
FanimeCon Guest Relations (2009 - Present)
Person who gets Japanese guests

otakuapprentice

Quote from: GokuMew2 on January 22, 2009, 05:58:36 PM

I would suggest walking over to the SJSU campus and using the ATMs there to avoid those fees.

OR, and this is probably a weird idea that I may have, you can take enough money to last the weekend and not blow all your cash with the first 48 hours.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

FanFicGuru

Quote from: otakuapprentice on January 22, 2009, 06:19:55 PM
Quote from: GokuMew2 on January 22, 2009, 05:58:36 PM

OR, and this is probably a weird idea that I may have, you can take enough money to last the weekend and not blow all your cash with the first 48 hours.

I would never walk around with the cash I planned to spend over the weekend... lol.

But, I get your point.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

otakuya

For those who would like the info:
-ATM's inside the CC have charge of $2.50 last I checked
-ATM's inside the Hilton and Marriott have a charge of $3.00 I think (never checked)
-Wells Fargo and Bank of America are located across the street from the Tech Museum (plug!) on Park Ave.
-WaMu/Wachovia/Chase (whatever) is near the corner of Santa Clara & Market St.
-Santa Clara Credit Union is located at the corner of 4th and San Fernando
-SJSU has ATMs for Wells Fargo, Bank of America, WaMu/Wachovia/Chase (whatever it's called now), and Bank of the West near the Business Center, and Credit Union at the Event Center
-Also one inside the Tech Museum for $2.00 charge

BlueCharisma

Thats a nice list of atm you have their. Which is needed as i'm sure everyone will be using it and wouldn't want to be charge the extra fees to do so or an atm is out of cash.

Even with technology advancing (iphone has an app that can charge cards now), not all dealer will be accepting credit card. For one, they are charged a fee for using it and I believe it a higher fee when you do a manual(punch in) charge then a swipe charge. Also a manual charge is a bit more risky for them.

What i'm doing is have a good amount of cash on me and use my card whenever i can. By the end of the night, reload my cash amount for the next day.

heeroyuy135

Quote from: Otakuya on May 12, 2009, 05:33:54 PM
For those who would like the info:
-SJSU has ATMs for Wells Fargo, Bank of America, WaMu/Wachovia, and Bank of the West near the Business Center, and Credit Union at the Event Center
Is there like 30-minute parking at SJSU?

YummySushi

Yes there is limited free parking for 15-30 min. But again there are only a few.

G.I.R

Quote from: Barnes on January 22, 2009, 01:40:31 PM
On a similar note, are Debit cards accepted as well?
I feel stupid for asking.  :P
A lot of Debit cards are issued thru credit card companies, and can be used as "credit" cards as well as debit cards (except the money is taken directly from your account instead of it being a short term loan).

If your debit card has a "Visa" or "Master Card" logo on it, your all set.

Knightfire

Just another FYI, some of the dealers may impose a minimum limit for using credit/debit. Last year I remember seeing minimums of $20.00
Starting work for Fanime 2011

OGIGA

Turns out that most dealers [that I was interested in] take credit cards. There was one dealer who I bought something from who wanted $20 minimum for CC (and had to pay sales tax). All the (few) dealers I asked didn't collect sales tax that day.

failure

Last I had heard it was illegal to impose a fee for using credit over cash, hence you don't see it at gas stations like you used to in the late 80's.  Pretty sure Camilla was policing this last year, as it's a dealer's choice to accept those fees or to just be cash only.  Anyone know if this has changed?  Really with the economy the way it is everything is a buyer's market anyways.
head of the now spatially efficient asian films.

Tony

Quote from: failure on January 24, 2010, 11:01:08 AM
Last I had heard it was illegal to impose a fee for using credit over cash, hence you don't see it at gas stations like you used to in the late 80's.  Pretty sure Camilla was policing this last year, as it's a dealer's choice to accept those fees or to just be cash only.  Anyone know if this has changed?  Really with the economy the way it is everything is a buyer's market anyways.
Sort of. It's usually against the contract that the merchant has with the credit card company to impose a minimum. Usually they aren't allowed to charge a fee, too - but that one is a little trickier.

This isn't really on the consumer's behalf, though. ;D When merchants charge minimums or fees, people may not want to use their credit cards, and that means the credit card companies make less money!
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014