Year-End List: Top Ten Films of 2008

Started by lying is an art form, January 01, 2009, 03:00:25 AM

lying is an art form

These are ten movies which I saw this year that I feel that everyone should have seen. Note that I haven't seen a number of movies that I planned to. Most notable movies that I have not seen yet are: American Teen, Changeling, Che, Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Doubt, Gran Torino, Rachel Getting Married, The Reader, Revolutionary Road, Secret Life of Bees, Synecdoche New York and Vicky Cristina Barcelona. If I had seen those movies, they may have affected this list in one way or another but I didn't so this is what we're at.

Also. Tell you what. If I see any of those above mentioned movies and I want to bump a slot or two from my list for them, I'll do so and let you know.

But, what I want from you guys is simple: Write a top ten movies list of your own and justify it. Also, feel free to openly disagree with my choices (and give me good reasons why!). I'm open to a healthy debate.

Explanations below may possibly spoil bits and pieces of each movie, and may probably tell you more than you want to known. Hence, they're hidden behind spoiler tags. You have been warned.

10. Be Kind Rewind (Directed by Michel Gondry. Stars Jack Black, Mos Def, and Danny Glover)
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

9. Iron Man (Directed by Jon Favreau. Stars Robert Downey Jr., Gwyneth Paltrow, and Jeff Bridges)

8. In Bruges (Directed by Martin McDonagh. Stars Brendan Gleeson, Colin Farrell, Ralph Fiennes, Clémence Poésy)

7. Die Fälscher, or The Counterfeiters (Directed by Stefan Ruzowitzky. Stars Karl Markovics, August Diehl)

6. WALL-E (Directed by Andrew Stanton)

5. Milk (Directed by Gus Van Sant. Stars Sean Penn, Josh Brolin, Emile Hirsch, James Franco)

4. Frost/Nixon (Directed by Ron Howard. Stars Frank Langella, Michael Sheen, Kevin Bacon, Rebecca Hall)

3. The Dark Knight (Directed by Christopher Nolan. Stars Christian Bale, Heath Ledger, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Aaron Eckhart, Michael Caine, Gary Oldman, Morgan Freeman)

2. Slumdog Millionaire (Directed by Danny Boyle. Stars Dev Patel, Freida Pinto)

1. The Wrestler (Directed by Darren Aronofsky. Stars Mickey Rourke, Marisa Tomei, Evan Rachel Wood)

That's all for my movies list. Maybe I'll write one for something else as well, but I hope you've enjoyed it.
Do you like Magic: the Gathering or just fun games in general? I'm offering a fun way to play Magic right here! I'm bringing these to Fanime 2009 :) PM me to secure one!