Black and White Ball Attire Questions - Post them here

Started by tkdteo, January 06, 2009, 10:51:48 AM

boots01

that i think will be just fine.  it's hard to tell the length on the skirt (if there is one) from the photos.  should be ok though.
-Eugene
2001 Video Programming Staffer
2002 Acting Video Programming Head
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2010 Yamaga Party Coordinator
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

so much anime to watch, so little time

BSaphire

Hey BOOTS01! ^^P

Sorry I missed you at the meeting ^^( I wanted to let you know/ask... I am working on an EGL for the B&W and the length is above the knee... is that ok? (after the drama from last year I thought I'd ask YOU! ^^P *LOL

Squidges & Smoochies
B
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC

boots01

should be fine b. i don't even have to see it to know :P
-Eugene
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

XpHoBiaX

Not really a question, but I thought I'd throw it out here.

Long skirting on gowns.
I thought I'd point it out that if the ladies have long gowns and if it drags a little on the floor, try to pick it up with a lose stitch somewhere unnoticeable. Or if the material allows, securely bustle it. Bustling mostly goes for trains on gowns though.

I know this from various formal occasions I had gone to. It really sucks to have someone step on your dress, or get it cuaght. (Although this may be due to improper length/miscalculation) I am not sure about others, but I find it important to me.

2010 cosplay...?
Zero:80% Kadaj:?? Sisen:??

arcadiakat

I have a prom dress(that i didnt get to use) that is all mostly black except for a small bit of trim at the top its really really LIGHT pink  is it possible i may be allowed to use this since its such a small bit and such a light pink?
have fabric, will sew. freelace costumer and make-up artist

Steve.Young

That's fine, my staff is only enforcing a formal look.

Prom dresses (As long as they aren't completely out there) should be fine.
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

Touya no Miko

I only got one question.

Can we crossplay? In example, girls in tux and men in gowns.
OMG! What the Fugnuggets is going on?!

ewu

Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Steve.Young

To emphasize, if you CROSSPLAY, you still have to be FORMAL w/ regards to not over exposing yourself (i.e. guys in gowns are fully covered in applicable areas).
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

LordMoufMouf

I have a question about hoop skirts.
I would like to wear my Victorian gown to the ball, but the circumference of the skirt is quite wide. Are there too many people at this event for hoops to be allowed?

Also, is the dancing actual waltzing and proper "dancing" or is it all that grinding-shag-me-on-the-dancefloor type of business? Will there be bouncers there to ensure any grinding parties don't get out of control?

boots01

the ball is ballroom dance in both music and dance style.  you will be waltzing, tangoing, foxtrotting, etc.  as far as the gown goes, there's nothing wrong with a hoop skirt.  we do try to keep the room at a reasonable capacity for people to dance in.  we have rovers both inside and outside the event to ensure a) proper attire, b) room capacity, and c) handle any problems that may come up for the attendees inside the event.
-Eugene
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

LakuriSyaoran

i want to know if this would be exepted: http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb159/LakuriSyaoran/songstress1.jpg
I adjusted the picture in photo shop (thats y it looks funny) because my costume isn't acctually done yet. and i don't know about the shoes quiet yet
and also, the outfit isn't gonna be as overly frilly as in the picture XD the white that makes up the actual middle of the top is frilly, but the bottom is probably just going to no poof out XD

boots01

this would be a little on the informal side imo but it might work.  i'd have to see the completed outfit before being able to give a definitive answer so i'd recommend having a backup plan, just in case.
-Eugene
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

LakuriSyaoran

gosh, yet agian posting >.<
i know my sugestions are kinda lame >.< but i'm pretty much despratly trying to find somthing to wear >.<
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb159/LakuriSyaoran/P1090406.jpg that was my original ideal. I would not wear my arm things though if they are a problem (and i just think they looks bad >.<)
and this is my new sujestion:
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb159/LakuriSyaoran/P1090217.jpg
it still nees to be fixed in size, and yet agian if arm things are  problem than i don't have to wear them.

boots01

in general, the costumes from ffx aren't really formal (with the possible exception of lulu's costume - if tastefully done).  because of how they are styled, they're meant to be more casual wear - the type of thing you could wear when hanging out with friends instead of attending a formal function.  however, our dress code is fairly lenient and it does seem to meet the minimum requirements.
-Eugene
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

LakuriSyaoran

Quote from: boots01 on March 24, 2009, 08:27:53 PM
in general, the costumes from ffx aren't really formal (with the possible exception of lulu's costume - if tastefully done).  because of how they are styled, they're meant to be more casual wear - the type of thing you could wear when hanging out with friends instead of attending a formal function.  however, our dress code is fairly lenient and it does seem to meet the minimum requirements.
sssooo..... does this mean i could get in or not ^^; cause i don't really want to go but it my friends have out numbered me and i don't wanna be alone :( and I don't want to have to lug my heavy chior dress around all that day cause that is about the only fancy thing i do have >.<
(and also I am only picking FFX stuff because my other cosplays ae haruhi and Sora and i don't think those work XD)

boots01

the basic minimum dress code for women is a skirt and blouse (basic business attire) which the costume bassically has.  if you have any way of dressing it up a little, i'd recommend it but it works more or less as is. 

if you don't really want to go, tell your friends.  if they're really your friends, they'll understand.  there are always other things going on during the con so even if you don't come to the ball, there are plenty of other things you can do while they're at the ball.  there are the anime rooms, karaoke, stage zero, panels, etc.  and, if all else fails, just remember that you're at a party with 15,000 of your closest friends.  everyone at the convention has at least one thing in common - they all like anime.  i guarantee you can find someone to chat with and who knows, maybe you'll make a new friend.
-Eugene
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

LakuriSyaoran

Quote from: boots01 on March 25, 2009, 01:11:50 PM
the basic minimum dress code for women is a skirt and blouse (basic business attire) which the costume bassically has.  if you have any way of dressing it up a little, i'd recommend it but it works more or less as is. 

if you don't really want to go, tell your friends.  if they're really your friends, they'll understand.  there are always other things going on during the con so even if you don't come to the ball, there are plenty of other things you can do while they're at the ball.  there are the anime rooms, karaoke, stage zero, panels, etc.  and, if all else fails, just remember that you're at a party with 15,000 of your closest friends.  everyone at the convention has at least one thing in common - they all like anime.  i guarantee you can find someone to chat with and who knows, maybe you'll make a new friend.
lol i know, i'm not new to conventions XD they are just all stoked and really want me to go XD so which one is more ok do you think? ^^; (am i being a bother? ^^;) and one of my friends wants to know also if she can wear like non jean pants and a nice shirt? cause she has NOTHING fancy XD

boots01

i will have the dress code posted shortly so they can take a look.  i leave it up to you which to wear, though i think the 2nd one is better imo
-Eugene
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

Udon

How about the uniforms from Vampire Knight? They're Black & White with a tie and dress shoes. Somewhat formal. Here's a pic for reference: http://fc16.deviantart.com/fs31/f/2008/215/8/2/Vampire_Knight___Zero_x_Kaname_by_j_b0x.png (I will be going as one of the chars, and my friend as the other.)

Alternatively, Suzaku Kururugi in his Knight of Rounds costume: http://that.animeblogger.net/2008/05/10/suzaku-hero-of-the-soldaten-long-post-about-why-suzaku-is-not-evil/ (top photo)
Cosplaying: Rossiu (Timeskip; TTGL), Suzaku Kururugi (Knight of Rounds; Code Geass), Marie Mjolnir (Soul Eater).