Black and White Ball Attire Questions - Post them here

Started by tkdteo, January 06, 2009, 10:51:48 AM

tkdteo

Quote from: Neliel on September 07, 2010, 09:06:44 PM
just a quick question for 2011 :) would this be appropriate? (and i have a safety system ill be using for my normal ranmao cosplay that will be used here too :) )

http://gallery.minitokyo.net/view/427305

I would say that the cut on the outfit is too high.  If you could make the cut lower than it would be better.  If I were to give you an answer on the dress the way it looks in the picture, the answer would be no.  Hope that helps.

- Jim
2010-2012 BWBall Head
2009 BWBall 2nd
2008 BWBall Instructor

KicksYourButt

Hello.
My friends and I were wondering if these outfits are appropriate to wear at the ball.

http://s929.photobucket.com/albums/ad134/KicksYourButt/?action=view&current=black_white.jpg

tkdteo

Quote from: KicksYourButt on October 11, 2010, 11:46:58 PM
Hello.
My friends and I were wondering if these outfits are appropriate to wear at the ball.

http://s929.photobucket.com/albums/ad134/KicksYourButt/?action=view&current=black_white.jpg

I would say that the picture on the far left and the one on the far right are inappropriate to wear to the ball due the short dresses.  As for the two in the center, those are ok for the ball.

- Jim
2010-2012 BWBall Head
2009 BWBall 2nd
2008 BWBall Instructor

KicksYourButt

Quote from: tkdteo on October 12, 2010, 09:34:49 PM
Hello.

I would say that the picture on the far left and the one on the far right are inappropriate to wear to the ball due the short dresses.  As for the two in the center, those are ok for the ball.

- Jim

Even if she is wearing the legging and we extend the shortest part of the skirt to mid-thigh?

tkdteo

Quote from: KicksYourButt on October 12, 2010, 10:12:06 PM
Quote from: tkdteo on October 12, 2010, 09:34:49 PM
Hello.

I would say that the picture on the far left and the one on the far right are inappropriate to wear to the ball due the short dresses.  As for the two in the center, those are ok for the ball.

- Jim

Even if she is wearing the legging and we extend the shortest part of the skirt to mid-thigh?

Leggings underneath a dress kind of takes away a bit from the semi-formal look that we are going for.  The dress length, for any of the dresses needs to be no shorter than 3 inches from your knees, regardless if you have leggings underneath.  Leggings are ok to wear but please do keep in mind that we are trying to keep this as a semi-formal event.  If the leggings are part of a cosplay then it is fine.  If not then I would have to say no to the leggings.  I hope this helps a bit.

- Jim
2010-2012 BWBall Head
2009 BWBall 2nd
2008 BWBall Instructor

Alyxiane

Well I've been stalking this thread since I came to this site and I have been taking mental notes on do's and don'ts on dressing appropriately. :P

I'm wondering if the length of this dress is appropriate enough. For me, it could go either way and I'm open into lengthening it to fit the dress code better.
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

tkdteo

Quote from: Alyxiane on November 25, 2010, 12:03:08 PM
Well I've been stalking this thread since I came to this site and I have been taking mental notes on do's and don'ts on dressing appropriately. :P

I'm wondering if the length of this dress is appropriate enough. For me, it could go either way and I'm open into lengthening it to fit the dress code better.

Alyxiane,

Rule of thumb of legth of dress would be no shorter than two inches from your knees.  The dress looks fine if it is the right length from the knee.  I hope that helps. 

- Jim
BWBall Head
2010-2012 BWBall Head
2009 BWBall 2nd
2008 BWBall Instructor

MyMidnightAffair

Is it alright if we wear dress flats, or dress sandals that have a supportive heel strap?

tkdteo

Quote from: MyMidnightAffair on November 28, 2010, 09:00:07 PM
Is it alright if we wear dress flats, or dress sandals that have a supportive heel strap?

Dress flats are fine.  Sandals are probably not going to be ok unless they are dress sandles that are part of a cosplay. 

- Jim
2010-2012 BWBall Head
2009 BWBall 2nd
2008 BWBall Instructor

MyMidnightAffair

Quote from: tkdteo on December 02, 2010, 11:21:38 PM

Dress flats are fine.  Sandals are probably not going to be ok unless they are dress sandles that are part of a cosplay. 

- Jim
Would these Geta Sandals Be all right?

http://www.gardengateshop.org/catalog/Japanese_Apparel_BlackGetaShoes.jpg

tkdteo

Quote from: MyMidnightAffair on December 03, 2010, 06:47:55 AM

- Jim

I would have to say no to the sandals due to the fact that you would not be able to dance very well in them and they could potentially scratch up the dance floor.  Also there is not backing on them so I am worried that if something happens you could slip and fall of sprain/break something in your foot.  So that would have to be a no on those sandals.  Sorry.

- Jim
2010-2012 BWBall Head
2009 BWBall 2nd
2008 BWBall Instructor

MyMidnightAffair

Quote from: tkdteo on December 03, 2010, 09:52:35 AM
Quote from: MyMidnightAffair on December 03, 2010, 06:47:55 AM

- Jim

I would have to say no to the sandals due to the fact that you would not be able to dance very well in them and they could potentially scratch up the dance floor.  Also there is not backing on them so I am worried that if something happens you could slip and fall of sprain/break something in your foot.  So that would have to be a no on those sandals.  Sorry.

- Jim

Gotchya. Thanks Jim!

Okach

@Jim - Most of the women's dance shoes at WCS conventions tend to be of a dress sandal style.  That probably needs to get hashed out a bit more...
Staff Instructor since 2010. 
Staff Marketing Lead since 2018
Staff Marketing Second

https://www.facebook.com/FanimeConBWBall/
https://twitter.com/FanimeConBWBall/

Cyanide-Tea

I have a question for 2011's B&W ball; do women HAVE to strictly wear a gown? Or would it be possible for my date to be wearing a formal tux of some sort. Yes, she is female :P This is my first Fanime, so I wanted to make sure I'm getting the details correct so that there won't be any trouble, like not being allowed into the ball because of something as silly as not being allowed with a tux despite being a female.

Thank you.

Charis

Quote from: Cyanide-Tea on January 12, 2011, 12:50:07 PM
I have a question for 2011's B&W ball; do women HAVE to strictly wear a gown? Or would it be possible for my date to be wearing a formal tux of some sort. Yes, she is female :P This is my first Fanime, so I wanted to make sure I'm getting the details correct so that there won't be any trouble, like not being allowed into the ball because of something as silly as not being allowed with a tux despite being a female.

As the only girl in our (mostly-female) group who actually wore a dress to the Ball last year, I think it's fairly safe to answer this one with a resounding "not a problem!"  For something like con, where a number of people crossplay (both ways, in fact), I think it'd be silly to demand that gender conventions be followed at one of the official events.  But no, we had ladies in pants in plenitude, and not one peep of complaint about it, so I'm sure you'll be okay. :)
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

Cyanide-Tea

Quote from: Charis on January 12, 2011, 02:10:22 PM
Quote from: Cyanide-Tea on January 12, 2011, 12:50:07 PM

As the only girl in our (mostly-female) group who actually wore a dress to the Ball last year, I think it's fairly safe to answer this one with a resounding "not a problem!"  For something like con, where a number of people crossplay (both ways, in fact), I think it'd be silly to demand that gender conventions be followed at one of the official events.  But no, we had ladies in pants in plenitude, and not one peep of complaint about it, so I'm sure you'll be okay. :)

Ah, alright. Thank you very much for letting me know!! I think it'd be silly if they were to demand such a thing at a cosplay convention where, indeed, many do crossdressing cosplays ^^; It wouldn't be fair for a formal event IMO. Thankies muchly~

saebel

Quote from: Okach on December 14, 2010, 05:37:36 PM
@Jim - Most of the women's dance shoes at WCS conventions tend to be of a dress sandal style.  That probably needs to get hashed out a bit more...

My two cents: I think the distinction is if the sandal lacks any kind of ankle strap - as long as there's that strap, open heel should be fine. Though of course, if you plan to dance a lot, a closed-heel shoe (like the WCS shoes) is what I'd recommend to the ladies.  More support/less potential for sloshing around.
2010-2016 B&W Ball Staff/Helper
2001, 2007-2009 Attendee

HuggalotXOmocha

xichisex

FanimeCon Cosplay 2013