Fanime Swap Meet 2009

Started by Keys, February 05, 2009, 06:42:05 PM

Keys

Quote from: Kokuu on March 31, 2009, 01:10:39 PM
Quick question for the swap meet: I noticed that it said second hand cosplay items were acceptable (got some of that I'll probably be selling in addition to all the manga I have), but what about raw fabric for others to create cosplay costumes?  I have TONS of interesting fabric I've picked up for costumes I never made, and was wondering if that would be ok.  
Sure, that's acceptable.

Keys

The paper application form (the one sellers pre-registered and stand-by both need to fill out and bring to con) has been uploaded to the website. You can find it here.

KingKamor

Is the swap meet on Thursday completely open to anyone with a badge and a swap meet permit thing?

Roguethe

It says that friday is full, but thursday is walk-in.
So If I have an early-Reg full weekend badge, how do we get in for Thursday's swap meet?
Or is it only avaliable to people who Pre-Registered for Fanime 2009?

I draw sometimessss

Keys

Thursday night swap meet selling spaces are first come first serve to anyone with a four day badge:

1. While we didn't last year, we could run out of space on Thursday, so in that case it wouldn't be open to everyone anymore.

2. We will stop accepting sellers at 9pm on Thursday night, so if you show up at 10 you won't be able to get space.

3. Because a valid badge is needed to sell, only those pre-registered will be selling on Thursday night.

Xeluu

So, I was looking at the rules again, and I'm a bit confused on the seller's permit part.

If I'm not planning on doing any other swap meet or selling of sorts over the next year, and managed to sell both nights, would I need to apply for a seller's permit or not?

x_X

Sorry, just kinda confused.

Thanks in advance for the answer,
~Xeluu
2016 Cosplay Plans
Gomamon/Gabumon - Digimon
Jolteon Gijinka - Pokemon
Oogie Boogie - Nightmare Before Christmas

Keys

Quote from: Xeluu on April 18, 2009, 08:12:38 PM
So, I was looking at the rules again, and I'm a bit confused on the seller's permit part.

If I'm not planning on doing any other swap meet or selling of sorts over the next year, and managed to sell both nights, would I need to apply for a seller's permit or not?

x_X

Sorry, just kinda confused.

Thanks in advance for the answer,
~Xeluu

You would not need to apply for a seller's permit. It's like when people have a garage sale some Saturday morning maybe once a year or so, they don't need a seller's permit.

Roguethe

Ah, That sucks.
I'll maybe try for friday then.
But I don't know if I want to haul a bunch of stuff around if there is a chance I won't even get in to sell it.
D: We'll see I guess.

I draw sometimessss

Gadget

I have a question about displays...
Are we allowed to have any hand made free standing displays? Such as a free standing cardboard backing to hand a cel on or a free standing rack for hanging cosplay garments on?

Keys

Quote from: Gadget on April 29, 2009, 09:07:53 AM
I have a question about displays...
Are we allowed to have any hand made free standing displays? Such as a free standing cardboard backing to hand a cel on or a free standing rack for hanging cosplay garments on?
What do you me by "hand made"? While some people have propped things up on the boxes they brought or organized small goods on cardboard no more than a couple feet wide, we generally frown on anything large. I certainly don't want to see people building temporary shelving and certainly no Allen wrenches and Ikea pieces.

As a cel collector myself, I don't recommend a free standing cardboard display of cels at swap meet. With the crowds and short supply of free space, the likelihood that it might fall down and damage the cel is more risk than I would assume. It's probably best just to keep them in portfolio. Most cel collectors will know what's in there and you can tape a big sign saying "CELS" on the cover, or leave it open to the cels you want to feature (though I always worry about light damage.)

A small garment rack would be okay for cosplay outfits.

UsakoMinako

I have a little 2.5x3 "rack made out of plastic that you push together that holds wigs. There are no tools involved just hands ^_^ Does that pass?
Also I remember the ruling out of bringing chairs of any kind from a few years ago. I almost died standing so i tried to sell my stuff while laying on the floor LOL! Is it possible to use a chair thats already in the room and belongs to the hotel if you are declared disabled by the state of california?

Keys

Quote from: UsakoMinako on May 04, 2009, 09:44:24 AM
I have a little 2.5x3 "rack made out of plastic that you push together that holds wigs. There are no tools involved just hands ^_^ Does that pass?
Also I remember the ruling out of bringing chairs of any kind from a few years ago. I almost died standing so i tried to sell my stuff while laying on the floor LOL! Is it possible to use a chair thats already in the room and belongs to the hotel if you are declared disabled by the state of california?
The rack is probably getting on the large end of what we would allow and it's hard to tell without seeing it, but if that's the container you carry the wigs in, it should be okay. I've seen some pretty big snap together racks that are fairly extensible and we're trying to avoid getting to the point where people are using these to have something akin to a dealer's room booth. Those sound a bit like the assemblies that I see in the dealer's room a lot.

If you have a documented disability, you can bring whatever chair you need to accommodate that (and have forms handy in the off chance anyone from the venue should give you a hard time). I don't know what the availability of chairs within the room itself will be and how much they can be moved around without violating union rules.

Any set decisions regarding swap meet for this year will be on the website, the application form, any emails sent from swap meet, or in this thread. We're not asking people to remember rules from the history of Fanime. :)  (...unless there's some Fanime 15 Year Anniversary game show asking about them that I don't know about.)

Roguethe

Hi, I wanted to know what was the general selling price for stuff?
I know it's kinda like a garage sale, where we make our own prices.
But I wan't to know a general price for advice from people who have previously sold.
Would 50-60% original sale price be good?

I draw sometimessss

redroses3164

Are people with press badges allowed to participate in the swap meet? I have a pre-registered spot and if I'm not allowed to, then I would like to pass my spot to a friend who was going to share with me.

Keys

Quote from: redroses3164 on May 05, 2009, 08:02:57 PM
Are people with press badges allowed to participate in the swap meet? I have a pre-registered spot and if I'm not allowed to, then I would like to pass my spot to a friend who was going to share with me.
Yes, people with press badges are allowed to participate.

Roguethe

Quote from: Rogue-Ayanami on May 05, 2009, 07:56:37 PM
But I wan't to know a general price for advice from people who have previously sold.

I draw sometimessss

Keys

Quote from: Rogue-Ayanami on May 05, 2009, 09:47:24 PM

I think this is a good question for everyone to jump in on.  :)  The more perspectives, the better.

In general, it depends on the item, the item's condition, the item's popularity, the item's rarity, and how fast you want to get rid of it. I've seen things going for 20% of the original sale price and 120% of the original sale price.

Some people will come to swap meet and haggle with the sellers and you can always re-price stuff throughout the night, so you have a lot of flexibility as well.

In general, whenever I sell my collectibles, I keep in mind both what I would pay for it and the minimum amount I would want for it or would sell it for without really regretting it. A natural thing to do is think 'what's the most I can get for this,' but I think keeping the other two values in mind is a good way to determine if the item is really worth selling. Yeah, it sometimes strings to think about how much of a 'loss' you're taking, but really you're ending up with money you otherwise wouldn't have had for an item you don't really want so much anymore.

People will bring a bunch of stuff just to get rid of it - and thereby are willing to offer very attractive prices because a bit of money for it is better than it collecting dust. Then on top of that core stuff, they might also bring some less-likely-to-sell items at less attractive prices to see if they get any bites.

Also, you may want to walk around on Thursday night and see how people are pricing stuff to get a feel for it all.

What kinds of items are you thinking of specifically?

Roguethe

Quote from: Keys on May 06, 2009, 12:06:23 AM
Quote from: Rogue-Ayanami on May 05, 2009, 09:47:24 PM

I think this is a good question for everyone to jump in on.  :)  The more perspectives, the better.

In general, it depends on the item, the item's condition, the item's popularity, the item's rarity, and how fast you want to get rid of it. I've seen things going for 20% of the original sale price and 120% of the original sale price.

Some people will come to swap meet and haggle with the sellers and you can always re-price stuff throughout the night, so you have a lot of flexibility as well.

In general, whenever I sell my collectibles, I keep in mind both what I would pay for it and the minimum amount I would want for it or would sell it for without really regretting it. A natural thing to do is think 'what's the most I can get for this,' but I think keeping the other two values in mind is a good way to determine if the item is really worth selling. Yeah, it sometimes strings to think about how much of a 'loss' you're taking, but really you're ending up with money you otherwise wouldn't have had for an item you don't really want so much anymore.

People will bring a bunch of stuff just to get rid of it - and thereby are willing to offer very attractive prices because a bit of money for it is better than it collecting dust. Then on top of that core stuff, they might also bring some less-likely-to-sell items at less attractive prices to see if they get any bites.

Also, you may want to walk around on Thursday night and see how people are pricing stuff to get a feel for it all.

What kinds of items are you thinking of specifically?
Alright, yeah I see what you're saying.
All of my stuff is in very good condition, so I won't worry about that factor. But popularity and all will help me make a decission.
I'll have to have my sister help me scout other sellers prices. XD
I'll be selling a lot of different things.
Some figurines and anime plushies. Anime DVDs and PSP games, possibly a PSP, X-Box Game cube and PS2 games, Lolita and FanPlusFriends clothes, Some Anime T-shirts. Totes and anime purses. Panda hats and shirts.
Maybe Anime OST's and other things like that.
C:

I draw sometimessss

Keys

Sellers: The information regarding what you need to do at-con has been updated. Please see the updated page here:
http://www.fanime.com/events/swapmeet-tips.html

Roguethe

Cool, I'll have to scope it out.
How far ahead of time do people generally start lining up in the non-reg line?
I don't know much about the swap meet, as I've always just had more than enough money on me for the past cons.
But with the economy, I really have to sell some older stuff if I want to get everything desired this year. XD

I draw sometimessss