Cosplay Spectacular Masquerade Information! 05/19/09 LAST UPDATE

Started by angeljibrille, February 11, 2009, 07:26:17 PM

angeljibrille

Hi everyone!

Masquerade Headquarters is in the San Jose Convention Center, Rooms D & E.

Our hours:
Friday, May 22, 2009
9am - 7pm Masq. HQ (SJCC D & E) Masquerade Check-in, Music Submission, Masquerade Practice Area Open
9am - 12pm Masq. HQ (SJCC D & E) Craftsmanship Judging
1pm - 7pm Masq. HQ (SJCC D & E) Craftsmanship Judging

Saturday, May 23, 2009
8am - 12pm Masq. HQ (SJCC D & E) Masquerade Check-in, Music Submission, Masquerade Practice Area Open
10am - 4pm Civic Craftsmanship Judging
2pm - 4pm  Civic OPTIONAL Masquerade Rehearsal
5pm Civic Mandatory Masquerade Meeting for Participants: You must be in costume and with your entire group.

Cosplay Spectacular will be held on Saturday, May 23, 2009 at the CIVIC AUDITORIUM!
Location:  http://sanjose.org/meetings/facilities/civic_aud.php

All confirmation e-mails were sent out. Here's the current list (though it will probably change by the convention - more waiting list people WILL get in):
http://www.anime-online.com/cosplay/list.php

We wish you the best of luck in the contest!

**** IMPORTANT INFORMATION ****

We had unprecedented registration this year, and due to that and the limited timeframe we have (only Friday and part of Saturday) we are going to be strictly enforcing the rules this year (see below).

Please read the following directions, as you will be unable to participate unless you do the following actions.

#1 At least one member of your group must check in at the Masquerade Registration Desk (SJCC D & E) on FRIDAY, MAY 22, between the hours of 9am and 7pm. This is EXTREMELY important. We have 95 groups signed up this year; if you do not have at least one person check in on Friday by 7pm, we are going to remove your group and allow one of the waiting list groups in.

We have EXTREMELY LIMITED check-in on Saturday before 10am for those who pre-requested it. If you need to check in on Saturday morning (and have not already requested it), you need to e-mail me ASAP. We will NOT hold your spot unless we know in advance that you need Saturday check-in due to an unavoidable emergency.

#2 EVERYONE in your group must be checked in by Saturday at 10am, or those members will not be able to participate.

#3 Please bring your music with you on FRIDAY, MAY 22, check-in. We will not accept ANY music after 10am on SATURDAY, MAY 23, and we will REMOVE YOU FROM THE MASQUERADE. This is extremely important. NO EXCEPTIONS, period.

#4 All Craftsmanship judging must be done on FRIDAY, MAY 22, unless you have made prior arrangements with the Masquerade Coordinator because our spots are almost full; we can work with you to split your group up on Friday and Saturday if you just have a few people who will only be there on Saturday. You can sign up for a Craftsmanship judging spot on Friday morning. Craftsmanship judging is entirely optional, but spots fill up quickly.

#5 There is a mandatory meeting at 5pm on SATURDAY, MAY 23 at the CIVIC AUDITORIUM. You must be in costume and ready to go. You will need to remain in the theater until after your performance, so be sure to eat and drink before arriving at the theater.
Location:  http://sanjose.org/meetings/facilities/civic_aud.php

#6 Optional Rehearsal at the Civic Auditorium on Saturday from 2pm - 4pm.

*** WAITING LIST INDIVIDUALS ***

You are currently on the waiting list. What does that mean?

OK, here's the deal... The first 50ish groups on the list are approved; everyone else is on the waiting list. If your group does not say "Problem" then it's OK and just on the waiting list. All the problem entries at the moment are people who did not fill out the database correctly; we will judge each entry when they come in to register at the convention to see if they are appropriate.

In my experience, THE MAJORITY on the waiting list get in. This is because normal attrition is about 20%. That means 20% of the groups "Approved" can't make it for whatever reason, so we infill with Masquerade waiting list people -- that's why we have a waiting list.

Also, if our Masquerade is "short" ... so say we have 50 entries but the total time adds up to only 2 hours of programming (based on their music), we will pad the numbers to get more like 3 hours of programming. It all works out.

Again, what does this mean? It means you should just act like a normal group, and do everything listed below. Your chances are excellent to get in.

If you have been judged for Craftsmanship, you WILL be allowed on as a Display Entry (walk-on) even if we cannot ensure a skit.

If you want to do a skit, you will know by SATURDAY, MAY 23, at 10:00am if you got in. Please show up at the Masquerade Registration Desk (SJCC D & E) at 10:00am for confirmation.

*** END INFORMATION FOR WAITING LIST INDIVIDUALS ***

Thank you for your participation!

Marisa Price
FanimeCon Masquerade Coordinator

roxyryoko

Since the rules aren't up yet, I was hoping you could tell me the time limit for a skit? Is it two minutes?

bahamutknightzero

Absolute max time for a skit is 3 minutes, if I remember correctly

konataFTW

Fanime Cosplays 2010:
-Saku of dotHack
-Rin [default] of Vocaloids
-Rin [Magnet] of Vocaloids
-Sakura [jumpsuits] of TRC
-Sakura [uniform] of CCS
-Anise of Tales of Abyss

Linkxx

Quote from: konataFTW on February 21, 2009, 07:49:44 PM
can't you register at the con?

advice:DO NOT REGISTER AT THE CON. You probably couldn't because the list always fills up the first 2 weeks of registration. So i'd say sign up on the first day the sign ups are open.

mlarad

I know the rules are under the masquerade topic on the website
but is there a way that you can make them in a pdf format or printable format please?

I would like to have them in paper to make sure we have everything and not breaking rules or somethng ^_^

arcadiakat

this is the first time ive cosplayed at a con is there a competition on craftmanship/charecter accruacey? or is it all just skit preformances?
have fabric, will sew. freelace costumer and make-up artist

bahamutknightzero

Quote from: arcadiakat on March 09, 2009, 05:06:51 PM
this is the first time ive cosplayed at a con is there a competition on craftmanship/charecter accruacey? or is it all just skit preformances?

There are awards for Craftsmanship, you would need to inform the people at the Masq. Reg area/room at the con that you want your costume to be judged and they'll help you from there.

heeroyuy135

Is it back in the Civic Center, or is the Masq moving back to the Performing Arts Center across from the Crowne Plaza?

Hakaru_chan

CAN WE TRY INCLUDING A PROJECTOR SCRREN/VIDEO INCORPORATION INTO THE MAS SKITS THIS YEAR IF WE GET A PLACE THAT CAN DO IT?  ;D (sorrie its all caps i just really want this to happen sometime in the future)
Backstage Personality for CWF - Cosplay Wrestling Federation
www.twitch.tv/cwfnetwork

LakuriSyaoran

i have a question about seeing it.. is that ok?
does it cost extra to get in to just watch it? cause they charge at anime expo and made us really sad :(

heeroyuy135

Quote from: LakuriSyaoran on March 21, 2009, 09:06:42 PM
i have a question about seeing it.. is that ok?
does it cost extra to get in to just watch it? cause they charge at anime expo and made us really sad :(
No, it's completely free.
And you shouldn't had paid at AX unless you wanted the preferred seating where they charge.

LakuriSyaoran

good! cause i've been watching things for years past and this masquerade looks really good 8D

angeljibrille

Quote from: roxyryoko on February 17, 2009, 10:38:45 PM
Since the rules aren't up yet, I was hoping you could tell me the time limit for a skit? Is it two minutes?

3 minutes!

angeljibrille

Quote from: konataFTW on February 21, 2009, 07:49:44 PM
can't you register at the con?

Yes, you can, but we usually fill up on pre reg in advance. Usually, if we are lucky, we have a bout 5 spots available at the convention. However, I do not guarantee this. It's best to sign up in advance.

angeljibrille

Quote from: mlarad on March 07, 2009, 05:16:51 PM
I know the rules are under the masquerade topic on the website
but is there a way that you can make them in a pdf format or printable format please?

I would like to have them in paper to make sure we have everything and not breaking rules or somethng ^_^

Um O_o... this isn't something that Fanime provides at the moment, sorry :(   I usually have a few copies of the rules at the Registration Desk at the convention if you want to pick up a copy.

angeljibrille

Quote from: arcadiakat on March 09, 2009, 05:06:51 PM

There are basically two award structures: one just for skits, and one for craftsmanship. You can be in either or both. You just need to fill out the Craftsmanship form in advance and be judged by appointment by our Craftsmanship judges pre-Masquerade (they are there on Friday and Saturday).

http://www.fanime.com/files/cosplay_craftsmanship.pdf

Here are the type of questions they ask you:
http://www.fanime.com/events/masquerade-craftsmanship.html

BrightHeart76

Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

lacus

slimchance

is the registration for masq start tonight? do we email somebody or apply online? 1st time at Fanime.