Fanime Con 2009 Karaoke Contest Rules

Started by Hank-KKD, April 10, 2009, 01:25:24 PM

hellangel

Quote from: GaleWolf on April 20, 2009, 12:32:55 AMVocaloid songs: Not for this contest, you can sing it in the Gong Show though!

Wait, not even original songs written SPECIFICALLY and ONLY for specific Vocaloid characters? Not already-existing songs that got dumped into the system and made into horrible web fads (THOSE would be worthy of the Gong Show). For example, KOKORO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRZINtbNXb0) and MELTDOWN (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ox5-fEH4Ww) were made by the creators solely for specific Vocaloid characters. Wouldn't those fit under "original songs created for a video game"?

Now for a different question: I'm considering playing guitar to one of my songs, will that be okay? I'm not worthy of Acoustikaraoke, and I still want to be judged by vocals, but I'd like to use the guitar just for awesome~
Upcoming events:

YCon | PMX | ALA | AOD | Fanime | AX

Gadget

I'd like to see group category come back sometime. I would really like to see people who are professionally trained have their own category. Too many times someone who majors in some sort of singing and have had some sort of training dominates the scene by winning over and over again. Not only at Fanime but other local conventions that have karaoke as well. Many people are too kind to step foward and say so. I think that Novice intermediate and veteran should be reinstated.  ;)

Super Sheba

I'm sorry for one last question, bit of we want to do the tv size version and have made one using the original karaoke (i.e. parts were cut out to make it tv length) is that ok to use?  Or do we have to suffer through using vocal removal?  I can post a clip so you know what I'm talking about.

Enkai

From my understanding, you cannot use files that you yourself have altered in any way.  However, if you want it to be the TV length, you can tell the folks running it where you want it to cut off.  Or just bow when the first verse and chorus is completed.

In any regards, vocal removal isn't *always* horrible.  Download a free trial of Goldwave (I think the newest Audacity downloads have it too) and give it a shot on the song you want to sing.  It can work depending on your singing and the song.  I'm doing a vocal removal one for my prelim song because I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to sing that particular song and there's no karaoke version.  It's a song where I can power sing though, so I can pretty easily drown out the wonky-ness.  If you're a soft singer, it may not be the best choice.

JiiiWiz

So basically....we have to sing by outselves instead of with a group?
"Please don't.."

princesskitty18

question..when's the earliest that the first round would be? like it says "later afternoon/early evening"...exactly what time is that do u think?
Fanime attendee since 2006
2012 Black & White Ball volunteer
2013-now Black & White Ball Staff

Follow us on Facebook page and Twitter!
- https://www.facebook.com/FanimeConBWBall/
- https://twitter.com/FanimeConBWBall/

konataFTW

Quote from: hellangel on April 29, 2009, 02:19:28 AM
Quote from: GaleWolf on April 20, 2009, 12:32:55 AMVocaloid songs: Not for this contest, you can sing it in the Gong Show though!

Wait, not even original songs written SPECIFICALLY and ONLY for specific Vocaloid characters? Not already-existing songs that got dumped into the system and made into horrible web fads (THOSE would be worthy of the Gong Show). For example, KOKORO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRZINtbNXb0) and MELTDOWN (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ox5-fEH4Ww) were made by the creators solely for specific Vocaloid characters. Wouldn't those fit under "original songs created for a video game"?

Now for a different question: I'm considering playing guitar to one of my songs, will that be okay? I'm not worthy of Acoustikaraoke, and I still want to be judged by vocals, but I'd like to use the guitar just for awesome~

I also wanna sing Adolscence since my friend and I have been practicing until I heard tht Vocaloid songs aren't allowed =(
Fanime Cosplays 2010:
-Saku of dotHack
-Rin [default] of Vocaloids
-Rin [Magnet] of Vocaloids
-Sakura [jumpsuits] of TRC
-Sakura [uniform] of CCS
-Anise of Tales of Abyss

PrincessCake

omgosh! I hope I can sign up on saturday for the karaoke contest. This saturday is my senior ball and I'm going to be busy. Hopefully i'll get to a computer! I want to be in the first 25 people to sign up!
Cosplays for Fanime 2009
- Sei from Burst Angel
- Sailor Mars
- Yoruichi from Bleach
- Lolita
- Team Magma Grunt from Pokemon Hoenn Season
- Rave/Dance Outfit

Super Sheba

Enkai: I use Adobe Audition to do it, but I'm really picky about sound quality.  The problem is that most tv size versions of songs, especially older ones, are poor quality in the first place, so vocal cutting them only makes it worse.

And I am a very strong singer, so I don't have to worry about not singing loud enough as long as the music isn't deafeningly loud, which I don't think will be a problem. 

Either way, assuming I sign up in time, I can't wait to hear everyone's singing voices.  :3

AlexL55

Quote from: (GG)Nami_Misaki on April 29, 2009, 06:57:59 PM
So basically....we have to sing by outselves instead of with a group?

You can sing in a group. There just isn't a separate group category since there was only 1 group entry last year, I think.  And they signed up at the con.

Quote from: princesskitty18 on April 29, 2009, 09:56:31 PM
question..when's the earliest that the first round would be? like it says "later afternoon/early evening"...exactly what time is that do u think?

Last year, the Karaoke prelims started at 7 I think. And the finals were at about 9-ish. I would expect a similar time slot this year.

Quote from: Super Sheba on April 29, 2009, 11:31:19 AM
I'm sorry for one last question, bit of we want to do the tv size version and have made one using the original karaoke (i.e. parts were cut out to make it tv length) is that ok to use?  Or do we have to suffer through using vocal removal?  I can post a clip so you know what I'm talking about.

You are allotted 2 and a half minutes for the 1st round. That should be plenty of time to finish the first verse and chorus of the song which is what most tv-sizes are. Take a bow and walk off stage after you are done and the sound techs will fade out the music.

JiiiWiz

Oh I see. Hm...so the group has to all sing? Or can they just be dancers? Just wondering...is that allowed? Wouldn't that be based on the performance and entertainment?
"Please don't.."

konataFTW

@(GG)Nami_Misaki

it was mentioned that groups all must sing no back-up dancers ^_^v
Fanime Cosplays 2010:
-Saku of dotHack
-Rin [default] of Vocaloids
-Rin [Magnet] of Vocaloids
-Sakura [jumpsuits] of TRC
-Sakura [uniform] of CCS
-Anise of Tales of Abyss

JiiiWiz

Quote from: konataFTW on April 30, 2009, 04:26:50 PM
@(GG)Nami_Misaki

it was mentioned that groups all must sing no back-up dancers ^_^v

Oh I see xD my bad. I guess I must of missed reading that part. Alright then. Everyone must sing right? Got it. Thanks.
"Please don't.."

Hank-KKD

Quote from: hellangel on April 29, 2009, 02:19:28 AM

Vocaloid is not a video game, it is a software synthesizer application for singing.

You can have and play the guitar as a prop, but you cannot plug it into anything. Also, we would still need to play the CD track. Otherwise, If you want to sing with your guitar as the only source of music, it would be an Acoustikaraoke entry. We want more entries in Acoustikaraoke!

I'd like to see group category come back sometime. I would really like to see people who are professionally trained have their own category. Too many times someone who majors in some sort of singing and have had some sort of training dominates the scene by winning over and over again. Not only at Fanime but other local conventions that have karaoke as well. Many people are too kind to step foward and say so. I think that Novice intermediate and veteran should be reinstated.

We have never had Novice, Intermediate, and Veteran categories (perhaps this post is confusing the karaoke contest with Cosplay), and I am pretty sure nobody has ever won the contest more than once although we have had people as finalists multiple times.

We do run an "All Stars" event at another convention, but that is more of an exhibition and Fanime is not quite at that level...yet. Perhaps in a year or two.

Other answers:

You have to use an official TV version. You can't make your own.

If your song is over the limit by a few seconds, don't worry about it. It's a slow fade out, not a sudden cut off. If your song has a long intro, let us know and we can arrange to start it partway into the song.

You need either a karaoke version, or perform with vocal dampening. Can't sing over the vocals.

Everything else I think people have covered (Thanks!). Also, see my other post for contest signup time and karaoke schedule.

Super Sheba

Alright, so if I wanted to sing the tv size of Lilium for prelims, I'd bring you the tv size version of Lilium and you'd dampen the vocals for me?

OpheliaCat8

Ok, so I want to sing Tobira no Mukoe from FMA.  That's not much a problem, 'cause I can get the karaoke on itunes.  But I also want to sing Tsuioku+Love Letter by Hitomi Shimatani. Does anyone know where we can get J-pop songs that are not very mainstream.  Or even if not that song, I'd like a karaoke version of Angelus from Inuyasha.
If not, then I guess I'll have to figure out the vocal dampening thing.  Or just choose another song.  They really have a lot of good stuff on Gendou. Most of the songs I like have a karaoke version.  FUN!!
"I like to quote myself."

Cosplays for Fanime 2011
Fri  -  Kanae Kotonami, Skip Beat!
Sat -  Relm Arrowny, FFVI
Sun - Sailor Jupiter, SMStars

God91125

Alright so a set of questions so yeah I have a song that goes 2:38 for possibly the first round so is that all good?

Second is for one of my songs there is no karaoke version, so how can I test if it will work will with the Vocal Dampening? Also to add on with that, if I signed up for two songs and I came to "contest warmup" time before the contest starts. If it seems the vocal dampening really gets in the way  for me could I change one of my songs then?

PrincessCake

so if i wanted to sing no more words by ayumi hamasaki from the first Inuyasha movie where can i find a karaoke version or a dampening voice version of it? Cause there aren't any on gendou.
Cosplays for Fanime 2009
- Sei from Burst Angel
- Sailor Mars
- Yoruichi from Bleach
- Lolita
- Team Magma Grunt from Pokemon Hoenn Season
- Rave/Dance Outfit

Hank-KKD

Quote from: Super Sheba on May 01, 2009, 05:55:16 PM
Alright, so if I wanted to sing the tv size of Lilium for prelims, I'd bring you the tv size version of Lilium and you'd dampen the vocals for me?

Pretty much!

Alright so a set of questions so yeah I have a song that goes 2:38 for possibly the first round so is that all good?

We'll start fading at 2:30, so you'll miss mabye 5 seconds of it at the most.

Second is for one of my songs there is no karaoke version, so how can I test if it will work will with the Vocal Dampening? Also to add on with that, if I signed up for two songs and I came to "contest warmup" time before the contest starts. If it seems the vocal dampening really gets in the way  for me could I change one of my songs then?

Here's what you can do: When the room opens up on Friday, come and try the song out first before you check in for the contest. If you then need to change it, check in and tell us you're changing songs. Once you check in and give us your CD, you cannot change your song.

Or better yet, download a vocal dampening plug-in and try it at home first (read some of the other posts or search on Google for 'karaoke vocal dampening').

hoshiko_hime

I have a question.  I want to do the performance version of Bolero for the first round.  However, I can't find an mp3 where I can take out the vocals, much less a karaoke version (of a live version. yeah...) would it be possible to cut the Karaoke of the full version of the song down to the performance version?  I know we're not supposed to edit songs, but if the versions I find don't allow for vocal dampening...