Fanime Con 2009 Karaoke Contest Rules

Started by Hank-KKD, April 10, 2009, 01:25:24 PM

Hank-KKD

Quote from: hoshiko_hime on May 03, 2009, 03:33:51 PM
I have a question.  I want to do the performance version of Bolero for the first round.  However, I can't find an mp3 where I can take out the vocals, much less a karaoke version (of a live version. yeah...) would it be possible to cut the Karaoke of the full version of the song down to the performance version?  I know we're not supposed to edit songs, but if the versions I find don't allow for vocal dampening...

We can start the song when the vocals start, if it has a long introduction. Just tell our tech person.

konataFTW

another question >__<~!

uhmm I found a video of the song's instrumental... is that ok or smt? (it;s te only tv ver I could find u_u)
Fanime Cosplays 2010:
-Saku of dotHack
-Rin [default] of Vocaloids
-Rin [Magnet] of Vocaloids
-Sakura [jumpsuits] of TRC
-Sakura [uniform] of CCS
-Anise of Tales of Abyss

eririn

I am very sorry but I also have a question for Vocaloid songs...
(I've already read the 2 former questions).

I understand that Vocaloid is not a game, and most of the songs are for web only.

But how about the songs / composers that have made to major debut CD?
Like supercell/ryo's CD:
http://supercell.jp/
http://www.sonymusicshop.jp/detail.asp?goods=MHCL-1493
http://www.oricon.co.jp/music/release/d/804088/1/
The CD is released in all the CD shops in Japan,
so I thought that was kinda like J-Pop music (although the singer is an virtual idol).
I originally picked my songs from this CD album.

Is it possible for this CD to be the exception for Vocaloid songs?

Aishasama

One question about cutting off intros.

My song has a 30 sec intro with a short repeating melody of "la la"s which are not sung by backups, not the main vocalist. Would I have to sing those anyways?

Thank you!

Hank-KKD

Quote from: konataFTW on May 03, 2009, 06:41:56 PM
another question >__<~!

uhmm I found a video of the song's instrumental... is that ok or smt? (it;s te only tv ver I could find u_u)

If there's a video for the song's instrumental, I would imagine that the actual song itself should exist somewhere.

The entire concept of Vocaloid brings up some very good questions that challenge the pre-existing notions of what an allowable song for the contest is. Are songs by "virtual" artists considered real? At what point is a fan or non-official creation considered okay? A strict ruling would say that these songs are not from anime/manga/video games. We will look at those links further and determine if they affect the ruling in any way.

My song has a 30 sec intro with a short repeating melody of "la la"s which are not sung by backups, not the main vocalist. Would I have to sing those anyways?

Nah, you can skip this part.

eririn

The entire concept of Vocaloid brings up some very good questions that challenge the pre-existing notions of what an allowable song for the contest is. Are songs by "virtual" artists considered real? At what point is a fan or non-official creation considered okay? A strict ruling would say that these songs are not from anime/manga/video games. We will look at those links further and determine if they affect the ruling in any way.

Thank you very much for answering my question! :D
(Sorry for being so annoying ><)
I understand that a fan or non-official creation is kind of shady, so I am not trying to challenge that.
I thought the CD I mentioned was an exception because it was officially released as "major debut" of the group Supercell,
and it sold pretty well accroding to Oricon ranking...(so I thought it was under J-Pop genre, not anime/manga/video games).

No matter what determination you make,
I still thank you very much for looking at those links further! :)
Sorry to bother you at such a busy day ><

konataFTW

Quote from: GaleWolf on May 03, 2009, 11:16:11 PM
Quote from: konataFTW on May 03, 2009, 06:41:56 PM
another question >__<~!

If there's a video for the song's instrumental, I would imagine that the actual song itself should exist somewhere.

well found one of my songs' instrumental.. hopefully I'll fin the other as well >_<
Fanime Cosplays 2010:
-Saku of dotHack
-Sakura [uniform] of CCS
-Anise of Tales of Abyss

Aishasama

I have one question about the Preliminary Round.

My song is pretty much 2:30 minutes, and there are a couple verses and choruses. Would it have to be cut off short?

Thanks

Jupeboxgal

I have the opposite intro problem that a lot of people seem to have. xD  A song I'd like to sing has the vocals start a couple of seconds before the karaoke track does.  Should we try to coordinate when to start the karaoke track, should I have the track start a little further in and just skip the intro, or should I pick a different song entirely?

Thank you. :)

konataFTW

oh GaleWolf! I cannot find the instrumental for "Life is like a boat".... is it alright to choose a different song to replace it? (and yes I love it and I have the instrumental) is that ok? :x
Fanime Cosplays 2010:
-Saku of dotHack
-Sakura [uniform] of CCS
-Anise of Tales of Abyss

Hank-KKD

Quote from: konataFTW on May 16, 2009, 11:44:34 AM
oh GaleWolf! I cannot find the instrumental for "Life is like a boat".... is it alright to choose a different song to replace it? (and yes I love it and I have the instrumental) is that ok? :x

Yes, you can change songs at check-in.

My song is pretty much 2:30 minutes, and there are a couple verses and choruses. Would it have to be cut off short?

I would think not, as our limit is 2:30.

A song I'd like to sing has the vocals start a couple of seconds before the karaoke track does.  Should we try to coordinate when to start the karaoke track, should I have the track start a little further in and just skip the intro, or should I pick a different song entirely?

It's okay if the karaoke track has some backup vocals on it- many do. We would just start this song from the beginning.

Super Sheba

Gale, may I clarify what Jupe means?  I know her and we were discussing this problem.  The issue here is that she has to start singing a bit before the music starts.  Is it ok if she adds 2 seconds of silence at the beginning of the track so it's easier for her?  She is aware that if she is singing a song where the vocals either start before the music starts or right when the music starts that she won't be penalized for small mistakes, but as a performer she'd prefer to avoid that at all costs.

Also: Is there any chance that I could bring my own vocal removed version of a song so that if it doesn't work out right for you guys, I still can?  I can send you the mp3 in advance to show you that it is perfectly legitimate?  I just want it so that you can hear the harmonies of the original singer in the background.  I know you could do it for me, but I'm not sure how it's going to turn out if you do.  I know I'm asking a lot, but I don't really understand why I can't just remove the vocals for myself ahead of time...  Thanks for your time and sorry if I'm being a pain.

Hank-KKD

Quote from: Super Sheba on May 18, 2009, 10:23:58 AM
Gale, may I clarify what Jupe means?  I know her and we were discussing this problem.  The issue here is that she has to start singing a bit before the music starts.  Is it ok if she adds 2 seconds of silence at the beginning of the track so it's easier for her?  She is aware that if she is singing a song where the vocals either start before the music starts or right when the music starts that she won't be penalized for small mistakes, but as a performer she'd prefer to avoid that at all costs.

The instant between when we press "Play" and when the music actually starts can vary due to the whims of the computer. Therefore, the judges do not actually start judging until you've begun singing in earnest (in general, about 5-10 seconds into the song). So don't worry about nailing the "entry vocal" perfectly.

Also: Is there any chance that I could bring my own vocal removed version of a song so that if it doesn't work out right for you guys, I still can?  I can send you the mp3 in advance to show you that it is perfectly legitimate?  I just want it so that you can hear the harmonies of the original singer in the background.  I know you could do it for me, but I'm not sure how it's going to turn out if you do.  I know I'm asking a lot, but I don't really understand why I can't just remove the vocals for myself ahead of time...  Thanks for your time and sorry if I'm being a pain.

We don't want singers to edit their songs in any way. The reason is because we don't want any singer to potentially gain an advantage over another singer who might not have the knowledge or equipment to do the same. After all, this is a singing contest, not a song editing contest. Also, if we let you edit a song, then we have to let everyone do it, and we simply don't have the resources to check every single mp3 that's in the contest. Everybody should start on the same level playing field, and that's with an official track, whether vocal or karaoke version.

Super Sheba

Can you tell me what program you're going to be removing vocals with?  I'm curious because if I know then I can get it as close as possible to how it will sound in the competition so I won't be surprised.

SukieNeko

I asked this on another part of the forums and didn't get any response so I hope it's ok to ask this here.

I'm competing for a second time in the karaoke contest, I've noticed that people film and upload some videos from this event. I'd love to have my performance recorded and put up on youtube so I can see it for myself and show to family/friends. I would record myself, but I don't have a camera. Just a thought if it isn't too bothersome a request.

Hank-KKD

Quote from: Super Sheba on May 19, 2009, 09:27:24 PM
Can you tell me what program you're going to be removing vocals with?  I'm curious because if I know then I can get it as close as possible to how it will sound in the competition so I won't be surprised.

We use Audio Hijack Pro. If you don't have a Mac, another good one (that we used to use and has similar results) is DeFx. Both should be findable via web search.