Age Limits?

Started by deathshadow7127, April 13, 2009, 09:16:32 PM

deathshadow7127

How old do you have to be to get into the rave?

And I know the con. is open 24/7- or from what I've heard-, so is the con open 24/7 for people over 18 or everyone?

And what events do you have to be 18+ to attend?

Kazuko

first of all Please do not call it a rave due to the bad things that are usually associated with raves and fanime has no affiliation with such things like that Fanime is a family friendly con

Second there is no age limit to most events, the only age limits that require you to be 18+ with ID are the Hentai rooms, Yaoi/Yuri rooms and most Yaoi events that say 18+. It depends as well if certain panels have adult material and such

Usually they will have it stated on the schedule at the con what events are 18+

deathshadow7127

Oh, sorry about calling it that. And thank you.

TC X0 Lt 0X

Because apparently calling it a Rave is bad. Why can't a Dance be bad?

I went and I was 16. So no there is not.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

M

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on April 13, 2009, 11:04:28 PM
I'm indifferent about calling something a Rave being bad*. Why don't we just say that we should call it the "Dance" because that's what the name is? :P

To some people, a "rave" (when referring to a dance), is as bad a "gang" (when referring to a group of people); it's the negative connotation.
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: MPLe on April 14, 2009, 10:10:04 AM
Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on April 13, 2009, 11:04:28 PM
I'm indifferent about calling something a Rave being bad*. Why don't we just say that we should call it the "Dance" because that's what the name is? :P

To some people, a "rave" (when referring to a dance), is as bad a "gang" (when referring to a group of people); it's the negative connotation.

Well some people are silly like that =P

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Kimiko

Well a "rave" is not necessarily a bad thing, it's just that when drugs and such get involved it gives it a bad rap. However, the dance at Fanime is NOT a rave. A rave is an underground party that you usually need special tickets or an invitation to and the music is usually techno, trance, jungle, happy hardcore, etc. lol I just find it annoying when people call the dance at Fanime a rave, when it definitely is not. I wonder how that got started anyways? :D
2009 Costumes
Pita Ten ~ Shia
Rozen Maiden ~ Hina Ichigo
Gijinka Pokemon ~ Plusle
Salt5 ~ Abe Natsumi

ewu

people that have never been to a rave call it a rave:P its more of a club environment, maybe even a lounge.....or best yet, a club in the castro with a lot more straight people:P I love house:)

but yah "rave" is intimately connected to drugs and that is an image we do not even want it getting close to.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

JTchinoy

I wouldn't call it a lounge.  Not enough seats to chill in.  At least last year there wasn't.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: JTchinoy on April 14, 2009, 10:59:23 PM
I wouldn't call it a lounge.  Not enough seats to chill in.  At least last year there wasn't.
Really? I saw plenty of seats. None of which were used.

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

JTchinoy

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on April 15, 2009, 01:17:57 AM
Quote from: JTchinoy on April 14, 2009, 10:59:23 PM
Really? I saw plenty of seats. None of which were used.
Which location are we thinking of?
I'm thinking the far end of the convention center (J i believe).  I saw no seats, everyone was dancing but no seats.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

M

Quote from: JTchinoy on April 15, 2009, 01:20:31 AMWhich location are we thinking of?
I'm thinking the far end of the convention center (J i believe).  I saw no seats, everyone was dancing but no seats.
I did walk in there a few times and most of the time there were no seats available. There was maybe only one time where the chairs were free.
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

TC X0 Lt 0X

Really?
Hmm, well I was only there on Fri and Sun, and not much for either.
Must have just been the time I was there.

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

LakuriSyaoran

what are the "raves" acctually called? and where do you get more info? cause i todally wanna go to one!

PrincessCake

Quote from: Kazuko on April 13, 2009, 10:17:48 PM
first of all Please do not call it a rave due to the bad things that are usually associated with raves and fanime has no affiliation with such things like that Fanime is a family friendly con

Second there is no age limit to most events, the only age limits that require you to be 18+ with ID are the Hentai rooms, Yaoi/Yuri rooms and most Yaoi events that say 18+. It depends as well if certain panels have adult material and such

Usually they will have it stated on the schedule at the con what events are 18+
wow you sounded angry in the first part. and people do go to cons drunk or high. I've seen some. And just because it's called a rave does not mean that everyone is doing drugs. Half the girls dress inapporiately anyway. just like a rave.
Cosplays for Fanime 2009
- Sei from Burst Angel
- Sailor Mars
- Yoruichi from Bleach
- Lolita
- Team Magma Grunt from Pokemon Hoenn Season
- Rave/Dance Outfit

PrincessCake

Quote from: Kimiko on April 14, 2009, 10:20:13 PM
Well a "rave" is not necessarily a bad thing, it's just that when drugs and such get involved it gives it a bad rap. However, the dance at Fanime is NOT a rave. A rave is an underground party that you usually need special tickets or an invitation to and the music is usually techno, trance, jungle, happy hardcore, etc. lol I just find it annoying when people call the dance at Fanime a rave, when it definitely is not. I wonder how that got started anyways? :D
thats because they try to imitate a real rave. without drugs. you have to pay to get into fanime don't you?

mod edit: redacted due to complaint
Cosplays for Fanime 2009
- Sei from Burst Angel
- Sailor Mars
- Yoruichi from Bleach
- Lolita
- Team Magma Grunt from Pokemon Hoenn Season
- Rave/Dance Outfit

deathshadow7127

I just came across something really amusing, ok so everyone says not to call the dance a rave, but look at this message describing the dance

"You want to do some raving, but you don't feel like walking or driving all the way to the nearest nightclub?"

Raving? Wait, I thought this wasn't supposed to be a rave, lol.  ;D

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: deathshadow7127 on April 18, 2009, 03:50:01 PM
I just came across something really amusing, ok so everyone says not to call the dance a rave, but look at this message describing the dance

"You want to do some raving, but you don't feel like walking or driving all the way to the nearest nightclub?"

Raving? Wait, I thought this wasn't supposed to be a rave, lol.  ;D
Lulz.

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Anna

where are the dances usually

SOawesomeness

Quote from: Anna on April 19, 2009, 02:15:18 AM
where are the dances usually
The areas where they are held are subject to change but they've been in the actual convention area for quite some time.
Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook