Question...about MusicFest

Started by Kyuu, April 26, 2009, 07:53:09 PM

Kyuu

How is it that fanime could have AnCafe attend one year and pretty much no one the next? Am I just mistaken? Is the list not complete? Because in all honesty what am I, or anyone for that matter, really paying for? I'm honestly just curious. I appreciate that I was able to see an awesome japanese rock band last year, but it leaves me with expectations, which I believe most people would be left with. So to go in the MusicFest page and see that sorry list, I must say I'm personally disappointed with the lineup. I know if the list stays that way I won't attend MusicFest, which is an easy solution to the problem, but I just want a little clarification as to why the list is so...blah. Thanks to anyone who can feed my curiosity ^.^

PyronIkari

Quote from: Kyuu on April 26, 2009, 07:53:09 PM
How is it that fanime could have AnCafe attend one year and pretty much no one the next? Am I just mistaken? Is the list not complete? Because in all honesty what am I, or anyone for that matter, really paying for? I'm honestly just curious. I appreciate that I was able to see an awesome japanese rock band last year, but it leaves me with expectations, which I believe most people would be left with. So to go in the MusicFest page and see that sorry list, I must say I'm personally disappointed with the lineup. I know if the list stays that way I won't attend MusicFest, which is an easy solution to the problem, but I just want a little clarification as to why the list is so...blah. Thanks to anyone who can feed my curiosity ^.^
How so god damned arrogant and insulting. You realize many of the fans this year don't give a damn about AnCafe and think they're a worthless band that is only popular because of how they look over anything they release musically...

But the difference is, most of those fans wouldn't insult the band like you just did to everyone that HAS been announced for musicfest already.

Besides the fact that Fanime has stated they're trying to pull away from J-rock and want to move more towards pop than anything else. I'm sure Momoi would be glad to know that she is part of this "sorry list" and that she's a nobody in your eyes, as well as all the other people that were announced.

Jun-Watarase

Wow... I'm not entirely sure how to respond to this, but I have to WHOLE HEARTEDLY agree that what you had just said is really insulting to both the guests of Fanime, their fans, and staff.

One thing that should come to mind is that there's the possibility that... tastes differ within the Fanime community. Not everyone is a fan of AnCafe, not everyone is a fan of Momoi or the other guests. You realize, almost year after year, we've had a majority of J-rock/Visual-kei oriented guests. Momoi happens to be one of the few actual ANIME-RELATED idols that we've had.

And just as a reminder, you can't spell Fanime without "anime".

MusicFest is for music within all Japanese media, not just one genre. It isn't called "J-rock Fest". A lot of people actually don't like J-rock, while there are many who do. Those who do, got to enjoy themselves at music fest with a guest to their liking. Why not let everyone else have a turn?

Momoi, coming to MusicFest, is a huge thing for a lot of anime fans. There are many huge fans of hers traveling across the country, and internationally, to see her. There are people excited for her, and planning to share their excitement at the event. To call that a "sorry list", well, I'm just sorry that you're so upset as to feel the need to insult our guests and our fans.

And plenty of them, including myself, will be enjoying ourselves at MusicFest with the "disappointing lineup".

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

LordKefka

Me thinks some potty mouth needs to chill with our friends in byo for a bit. PROBLEM SOLVED AS WELL! =D
FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

PyronIkari

Quote from: LordKefka on April 26, 2009, 10:21:32 PM
Me thinks some potty mouth needs to chill with our friends in byo for a bit. PROBLEM SOLVED AS WELL! =D

What in the hell are you talking about? No one cussed or said anything inappropriate in that regard. What in the hell are you talking about?

LordKefka

^ No clue actually.

EDIT: Alright anyways it wasn't directed towards u.

So much for being subtle with things.
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

Kazuko

First of all dont talk like you are representing everyone and second way to insult fanimecon staff and their hard work to get people like MOMOI and Keshiki to come to fanimecon. Seriously not everyone is into J-rock/V.Kei and to say that the artists this year are on a "sorry list" is pretty insulting,I wouldn't go around saying stuff like that and for once we are going to have a different line up such as the lovely Haruko Momoi who is a BIG BIG person in the Anime Community, the Queen of Akihabara and you go and insult her? wow congrats to you!

Kyuu

Wow, I'm so sorry that I've offended so many people. I was fairly clear that I was only speaking for myself, and not in an accusing manner. I'm sorry that the internet makes my casual bluntness sound mean or rude or offensive. I really was more interested in the level of "big" vs. "small". Like most of you already know, I probably won't go, which means that this really shouldn't concern all of you to the degree that most of you have took this. It was just a question, if you guys really want to blow things out of proportion go ahead. And I agree that everyone has their own opinion, no need to get so riled up. That really was not the intent. If you feel offended ignore it, this really isn't a big deal. If you really think about it, this is so insignificant compared the support of fans that most of the people attending (the lineup) are going to get/have already established. No, I'm not saying AnCafe is the best band in the world - this question doesn't really concern them, it was just an example. The point that I was trying to make was at least one "big" person, would be more fun. But I completely understand that schedules, budgets and everything come into play. I really am still more interested in how they all go about doing things in order to get the bands/artists/singers at fanime. Thats all.

LordKefka

I'm just going to quote from now on...

So to go in the MusicFest page and see that sorry list, I must say I'm personally disappointed with the lineup.

You can feel free to explain how that isn't offensive.

Being subtle failed at first... too bad.
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

PyronIkari

Quote from: Kyuu on April 27, 2009, 12:25:04 AM
Wow, I'm so sorry that I've offended so many people. I was fairly clear that I was only speaking for myself, and not in an accusing manner. I'm sorry that the internet makes my casual bluntness sound mean or rude or offensive. I really was more interested in the level of "big" vs. "small". Like most of you already know, I probably won't go, which means that this really shouldn't concern all of you to the degree that most of you have took this. It was just a question, if you guys really want to blow things out of proportion go ahead. And I agree that everyone has their own opinion, no need to get so riled up. That really was not the intent. If you feel offended ignore it, this really isn't a big deal. If you really think about it, this is so insignificant compared the support of fans that most of the people attending (the lineup) are going to get/have already established. No, I'm not saying AnCafe is the best band in the world - this question doesn't really concern them, it was just an example. The point that I was trying to make was at least one "big" person, would be more fun. But I completely understand that schedules, budgets and everything come into play. I really am still more interested in how they all go about doing things in order to get the bands/artists/singers at fanime. Thats all.

Wow, you really don't know when to shut the hell up, do you?

Momoi... is big.

And you completely miss the point. You DIRECTLY INSULTED staff, guests, and attendees. It's insignificant, because other people will support the con? Realistically, it is insignificant, but the fact that you said it on this forum, that staff members read, that attendees read, and that you insulted everything they do, and the guests that they are bringing by REPEATEDLY stating how insignificant they are, says quite a bit about you.

Stop posting, that's serious advice.

Mizuki

There's a reason why some things are better off not spoken in public, on a board staff members read.

tl;dr version of your initial post was basically "Last year was cool, this year sucks whack, why aren't you doing any better"

Read your stuff before you post, you're just covering up with your last post acting like "Oh it's just my opinion" but how you word things are VERY important. Do you have any idea how hard it is to run these things? I bet no, and until you do I hope you don't post in this thread again, or anything regarding Fanime.

JTchinoy

I don't think there's anything I can say that hasn't been said already.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

LordKefka

Quote from: JTchinoy on April 27, 2009, 12:53:30 AM
I don't think there's anything I can say that hasn't been said already.

A cat is fine too....?
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

Kyuu

I really don't understand how significant my personal feelings relay to anyone anyone else personally. So I'm disappointed, so what? Honestly I don't see why so many of you should care and I don't think you should let me affect you to the degree that you're obviously allowing yourself to be affected. I'm only one person. I'm sure within a few minutes you'll be over me. I wasn't trying to start a war, because frankly none of this is really worth it. And I would think (not to be confused with representing the entire fanime base) that some of you would hopefully feel this isn't worth it, either.

If I was going to purposefully and maliciously offend the fanime staff, the musicians/artists/singers selected I could think of a very different approach I would have used. But I agree, I will stop posting, because it looks as though no one is quite getting the fact that I wasn't intentionally attacking the fanime staff, musicians, or anyone else. Just because I don't like something doesn't mean that thats going to affect it. I think its quite sad how this played out.

Lastly, I believe Mizuki, that your comment was rather bias. I'm sorry you believe for my to be "covering up" for my own comment. I haven't taken back any of what I said, I don't believe I have to. How can you honestly tell someone that its not okay have your own opinion, when in fact you're sitting there typing out your own? No, I don't intend too, especially considering how dramatic most of the people upset with me are being. I'd say more like "last year was fun, this year looks a bit boring, what process are you guys doing to find the candidates you're inviting?"

PyronIkari

Quote from: Kyuu on April 27, 2009, 12:58:39 AM
I really don't understand how significant my personal feelings relay to anyone anyone else personally. So I'm disappointed, so what? Honestly I don't see why so many of you should care and I don't think you should let me affect you to the degree that you're obviously allowing yourself to be affected. I'm only one person. I'm sure within a few minutes you'll be over me. I wasn't trying to start a war, because frankly none of this is really worth it. And I would think (not to be confused with representing the entire fanime base) that some of you would hopefully feel this isn't worth it, either.

If I was going to purposefully and maliciously offend the fanime staff, the musicians/artists/singers selected I could think of a very different approach I would have used. But I agree, I will stop posting, because it looks as though no one is quite getting the fact that I wasn't intentionally attacking the fanime staff, musicians, or anyone else. Just because I don't like something doesn't mean that thats going to affect it. I think its quite sad how this played out.

Lastly, I believe Mizuki, that your comment was rather bias. I'm sorry you believe for my to be "covering up" for my own comment. I haven't taken back any of what I said, I don't believe I have to. How can you honestly tell someone that its not okay have your own opinion, when in fact you're sitting there typing out your own? No, I don't intend too, especially considering how dramatic most of the people upset with me are being. I'd say more like "last year was fun, this year looks a bit boring, what process are you guys doing to find the candidates you're inviting?"

Ugh... shall I explain it?

Let's say, you were getting married. You spent a year, and hours upon hours of planning, and you scored an amazing photographer, a top chef, band and everything...

Then I'm in your house talking with your friends and I go "What horrible planning for this wedding. The chef is second rate, this food is so mediocre at best. And she's paying how much for him? These photographs suck. COMPARED TO MY WEDDING, my photographer was so good. And this bad is horrible. Who the hell are they? Some small no name band."

You're saying it doesn't matter that I said that, in your house, about your wedding... because *MY* opinion shouldn't mean anything compared to everyone else's that is going?

I can say and insult you and your work, and it doesn't matter, because I'm 1 person of many, and they might disagree with me? That it's completely acceptable to tell you how HORRIBLE your choices were, that everything you did, and that your choices are idiotic, because I am only one person?

It doesn't matter that it wasn't purposefully malicious. If anything that makes it worse. If you were purposely malicious, it would be set off as trolling, you'd be warned or banned, and this thread would be deleted. But instead you were serious. Completely serious about how you think one of the most famous people in the anime world is "a nobody". And that how Fanime's musicfest is a sorry list compared to last year because they don't have any retarded talentless J-rock.

See, the irony is that people usually attack me for being offensive. I'm pretty open about opinions and stuff, but what you are doing isn't any of that. It's just insulting people and accomplishing nothing.

What process? Last year they got a Rock band, this year they got one of, if not the most, famous akiba-kei singer/voice actress. This is grounds for you to insult the guest and call them nobodies? This is grounds to say that fanime staff's decisions were bad and "boring" and "weak".

Please...

LordKefka

I can actually tell you all your arguments to save face is pretty much..stupid.

Let me let you in on one thing. Your opinions is what the problem is. None of what you say is factual and I don't think ANYONE think they are either. But I, for example, can't just simply make an opinion calling you " a stupid idiot who thinks just because an opinion is made, it's ok since it doesn't have to do with anyone else" without sounding like an idiot myself...(maybe?) See where I'm going with this?

Anyways, it's useless to try and explain anything. And besides, being a little hypocritical yourself aren't we now considering you keep posting in response to what we say. If you're intentions weren't ever bad with your post to begin with, why feel the need to defend yourself and keep replying? I wonder who here is the one who can't accept the fact a certain post was made with idiocy.

But that's just my opinion on your opinion so feel free to throw an opinion back. You'll most likely get an opinion from someone else if I don't give you an opinion in return.

ps. Try posting somewhere else...fun. Like happy pictures or whatever.
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

PyronIkari

And just for fun...

What is your definition of "big". By realistic standards... AnCafe isn't "BIG" at all. They have a name and a label, and a small following, but comparatively, that following is small.

Random generic pop group has 10x the following as AnCafe does.

Avril Lavigne is >>> An Cafe in Japan.

Mizuki

Stop trying to save face.

Maybe we're getting angry because some of us are staff. You ever thought of that? Stop trying to troll us, try harder. And it could have gone a different way with tone and how you wrote things out.

THINK

LordKefka

I like this comment...

I'm sure within a few minutes you'll be over me. I wasn't trying to start a war, because frankly none of this is really worth it. And I would think (not to be confused with representing the entire fanime base) that some of you would hopefully feel this isn't worth it, either.

Really shows the power of desperation at work to brush all the mistakes off. I lol'd
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

jemz

I understand your concerns about MusicFest since I had feared that some of our attendees would take this viewpoint. Since MusicFest's staff and I have worked really hard on bringing fun and different bands to Fanime each year, your comment is offensive to our musical guests who are coming this year as well as to myself and my staff. I know that many of the attendees are eagerly looking forward to the next cool band in the genres that we've been bringing lately but we want to bring in other types of genres that other attendees like as well. We try to invite musical guests we think our attendees would enjoy. Not just J-rock, visual kei, or j-pop but all sorts of music. Just like our theme for this year.

Because in all honesty what am I, or anyone for that matter, really paying for?

What you are paying for is the membership to FanimeCon. MusicFest is one wonderful event that happens at Fanime. There are many other experiences to be had at Fanime that is included in that membership such as Masquerade, video programming, Dealer's Hall, Panels, Dance, Artist Alley, and many others.

I understand that having a wonderful experience last year with An Cafe will leave certain expectations but Fanime doesn't cater to only one specific genre. We cater to many different types of people and we would be sorely lacking respect to our attendees if we only stuck to one thing.

Momoi-san is a wonderful guest for us. There are many people who are unfamiliar to her work but this shouldn't deter you from exploring a new singer. She is a very talented entertainer who is very interactive with her fans. She brings a certain energy to Fanime that we have not experienced before and we are excited to have.

It's great that you have chosen to voice your opinion on this forum. I think it's perfectly fine to look at the MusicFest guest list and not be interested in who we are bringing. Not everyone has the same musical taste.

Unfortunately, the tone of your message came across more insulting than curious. When I first read it, I will admit to feeling hurt since I personally know how hard MusicFest & Guest Relations staff have worked. It's a bit of a slap in the face to be told that the musical guests that you've personally chosen to come is a "sorry list"

Yes, there are people who will dissect your opinion or the words you used to present it. But please understand that many staff members read the Fanime forums to constantly improve or attain feedback. We use the feedback from attendees like you to help us improve and evolve Fanime, making it into a convention that many attendees as well as ourselves continue to enjoy. FanimeCon is very much a "By the Fans, For the Fans" convention. So many people would not have taken offense to your initial comments if it wasn't. 

I know you're not intentionally attacking the staff, our musical guests, or the attendees but you are doing so indirectly. If you are unhappy with the guests we have personally invited, feel free to offer your input and join staff. Sometimes, the best way to see who we choose to invite is by working behind the scenes in making the convention a successful one.

This thread is now locked. If you or anyone else would like to discuss this topic in further depth, feel free to PM/email me.
HR Staff
FanimeCon 2014 - 2018

Director of Extravaganzas
FanimeCon 2008 - 2012

Hey you are my PINKY // never cheat on me // 赤い糸で縛って