Street Fighter IV
Fanime Tournament
Rule Set

Two out of three rounds
Two out of three games
99 second time limit
Single elimination
No character ban
Winner must stay with character used to win round, loser may change character.

SIT ON SIDE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE ON (Player one left and Player two right)

PyronIkari

Quote from: Melandu on May 04, 2009, 11:51:29 PM
Street Fighter IV
Fanime Tournament
Rule Set

Two out of three rounds
Two out of three games
99 second time limit
Single elimination
No character ban
Winner must stay with character used to win round, loser may change character.

SIT ON SIDE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE ON (Player one left and Player two right)

Who are you? Why are you posting in the wrong forum about this...

and why single elim?

Single elim pushes for "Only 1st place matters" since the first place person is the only consistent one. People who get 2nd and 3rd could get those positions ONLY because of how the seeds end up on the bracket. If someone plays person who got first 1st match, but could easily beat second and 3rd, he misses out on prizes merely because he got seeded in a bad position.

There's plenty of other reasons why single elim sucks, because things random out. This is especially bad in SF4 where a random lucky ultra can cost a match. I.E. someone wins first match, other guy wins second third match one is blanka one is say Ryu, and blanka is getting owned at like 3% and Ryu is at 60%. Ryu taps jab and blanka blindly does Ultra from sweep range and wins. That Ryu player is eliminated from the tournament because of a random lucky ultra? If it happens twice, that's bad luck, but being elim'd because of that is horrible.

But this isn't my tournament to run, so it's your guys' rules. I'm just telling you, single elim is a way to make a tournament not fun.

Mizuki

Okay, It shouldn't be Single Elim, what you can do is 3/5 matches but one game with double elim. A lot of tournaments are picking up this format and seems to be a well received format for SF4.

And next time, please tell us you are staff, if there is no indication no one will take this thread seriously.

abcbadcat

Double Elim is a must and should be best of three matches

and what Mizuki said, I didn't know who you were and why you came up with these rules xD

Kuposhin

Not to be blunt, but double elimination would take too long. Period.

There are going to be way too many competitors for it to be ran that way, even if it would be fair.

Besides...it's not like you're paying an entry fee to enter the tournament. Otherwise even I would argue this too. >_>;

PyronIkari

Quote from: Kuposhin on May 06, 2009, 09:30:25 PM
Not to be blunt, but double elimination would take too long. Period.

There are going to be way too many competitors for it to be ran that way, even if it would be fair.

Besides...it's not like you're paying an entry fee to enter the tournament. Otherwise even I would argue this too. >_>;

How many setups will there be? 5round single match double elim, like Mizuki said, is still much better than single elim.

shinjiboy

Also, OP please fix the title to spell tournament w/ one T.  It's an eye sore, thanks.  And because of the recent hype, I'd expect this tourney to draw a lot of participants.  Whichever format takes the least time and is most organized is best.

mod edit: mod fixeded it

Mizuki

How many set ups will there be?

Are you capping the limit of entries?

These are important questions, and as a tournament host you can make it to where the tournament is enjoyable, and not just holding it to just hold it. Single elimination with 2/3 game is NOT enjoyable. With 3/5 round, single game, double elim it will still be faster than a CvS2 8 man double elimination tournament.

ShiningWizard327

Is this going to be on PS3, Xbox360 or Arcade? If it's for a console, are we allowed to bring our own controllers or arcade sticks?
"You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because you're all the same"

JTchinoy

PS3.
All of our tournaments will have a 128 entrant cap, except possibly rock paper scissors simply because we can go through all of the matches extremely fast.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

ShiningWizard327

If we wanted to use arcade sticks. Will sticks be provided? Or can we bring our own?
"You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because you're all the same"

JTchinoy

We may have some sticks, although they may not be SF4 sticks.  We highly encourage bringing your own controllers and sticks.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

abcbadcat

shinjiboy

Quote from: abcbadcat on May 20, 2009, 12:47:04 AM
All characters unlocked right?

I hope not.  Last thing I wanna do is face a ridiculously good Seth player.

abcbadcat

Quote from: shinjiboy on May 20, 2009, 10:41:33 AM

Out of 1000+ matches online... I've only ran into Seth less than 10 times

Okay, well everyone maybe except for Seth

I main Rose and Akuma, hence my concern

Mizuki

The only Seth (thats good) I've seen that will be going is PyronIkari, and I don't even know if he's using Seth. And all characters should be unlocked, colors/costumes on the other hand probably not.

PyronIkari

Quote from: abcbadcat on May 20, 2009, 10:44:05 AM

Out of 1000+ matches online... I've only ran into Seth less than 10 times

Okay, well everyone maybe except for Seth

I main Rose and Akuma, hence my concern

Akuma is not an easy match for Seth at all. It's not hard persay(no character is hard realistically) but Akuma has hella options, and one lucky guess means getting in and being able to do 70% off one basic combo. Rose basically sucks against all the characters except like... Zangief who she beats for free.

I only know of 2 good Seths in norcal, A_rival and myself, and my Seth isn't *that* good... I make too many mistakes because I get impatient. I know how to play him well I just do stupid things because I want to hurry the match up, costs me 50%, and I lose. But yeah, not having Seth unlocked=insta fail... more so than the single elim thing. If I actually enter(if I have time) I'll probably use Seth a bunch. I still think it should have been teams double elim, would have made the tournament go the exact same speed, except it'd have been double elim, but whatever.

Evelgest

So when would we have to register by to enter the tournament?

I really hope that sticks will be available. I've got a TE for the 360 and a custom dual mod stick on the way, but it's not ready yet. And unfortunately I can't play on anything other than a stick.