2009 "Arigatou" style prize distrubution event

Started by Jidai Geki, May 10, 2009, 11:15:46 PM

Would you like to see an "Arigatou" style prize distrubution event at fanime?

Yes
20 (90.9%)
No
0 (0%)
Undecided
1 (4.5%)
Don't Care
1 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: May 19, 2009, 11:15:46 PM

Jidai Geki

Mina, Konban wa.

I have permission to conduct a test event at FanimeCon this year, and I want to see if there's any interest out there for it.  If this works, it may grow into a larger event next year... Any questions posed at this time will be met with vague answers, as I can't go into specific details about what I'm doing.  I can say that there are rewards, you need not fill out anything, and you need not hunt me down... I have to find you.

So if a stanger approaches you and says, "Hajimemashite, kore wa anata eno purezento desu."  Don't club, taze or mace me, please... ;D

Arigatou Gozaimasu,
B

Kimiko

lol I think that would be cool.
2009 Costumes
Pita Ten ~ Shia
Rozen Maiden ~ Hina Ichigo
Gijinka Pokemon ~ Plusle
Salt5 ~ Abe Natsumi

SirVincent

So your going to do what now? Just walk around and give people things? ??? ??? ???
Some times you have to get away for it all and other times you must get back to it all.

BrightHeart76

OK my Japanese isn't very good.  But I can translate that pretty well.  Is there a specific way we should respond?  Just Arigatou?
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

TC X0 Lt 0X

I don't follow to well...
But anything with free prizes is welcomed by me  ;D.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Jidai Geki

Quote from: SirVincent on May 11, 2009, 01:25:33 AM
So your going to do what now? Just walk around and give people things? ??? ??? ???

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on May 11, 2009, 06:27:32 PM
I don't follow to well...
But anything with free prizes is welcomed by me  ;D.

Sometimes one has to lose a little in order to gain a lot.
Yes, I'm just going to be walking around, giving things to Con attendees, but here's the catch... You won't know what I'm dressed like and you won't know why I selected you to receive an "Arigatou" until I contact you.

I don't need people chasing/stalking me though the Con... I don't need everyone glued to their personal communication device... I'm looking for honest cosplayers/Attendees.  Let fate guide my path, and all of you enjoy the Con.

Remember, it's a test event... So everything is coming out of my pocket... errr, sleeve.  I'm estabishing 12 prizes for this test, mainly comprised of Six (6) "Universal Gift Certificates" and six (6) Merchandise Vouchers from selected dealers at the Con.  It's just me this year... If this works, maybe 5 of us next year

Quote from: BrightHeart76 on May 11, 2009, 05:31:47 PM
OK my Japanese isn't very good.  But I can translate that pretty well.  Is there a specific way we should respond?  Just Arigatou?

I might say that to remain in character... darn those drama lessons in HS.  It's not necessary to respond in Japanese... If I see that the reciepiant doesn't understand, I'll say it in English... but I warn all of you, I'll sound like a badly dubbed anime DVD.

TC X0 Lt 0X

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

OpheliaCat8

始めまして、これはあなたのプレセントです。
"nice to meet you, this is your present."

ありがとうございます。"thank you."

その事はちょっとおもしろくて、楽しいだから、やったのよ! おねがいします!
this this is a little interesting and fun so, ITS ON!!!  please! (or more literaly, "please take care of me.")

I approve!
"I like to quote myself."

Cosplays for Fanime 2011
Fri  -  Kanae Kotonami, Skip Beat!
Sat -  Relm Arrowny, FFVI
Sun - Sailor Jupiter, SMStars

Jidai Geki

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on May 12, 2009, 12:00:19 AM
I have to Cosplay D=?
Oh well...

Sorry about that... I've been editing the text so much that I end up losing some of it (Text has been corrected to include non-cosplayers).
Do you have to Cosplay... Well, no.  It would make it a bit interesting though... But for non-cosplaying attendees, I'm having a little trouble defining a selection criteria.  I can't make it too easy, but again I can't make the subject too restrictive.

Here are some examples of selection criteria that I'm NOT using so this will give an idea of how this will happen:
Cosplay: The first person I meet with Green & White hair.
Attendee: The first person I find with a blue camera.
Gamer: The first person I find using a Crimson Nintendo DS.

Remember, the person receiving an "Arigatou" won't know why until I tell them...

Quote from: OpheliaCat8 on May 12, 2009, 01:26:51 PM
始めまして、これはあなたのプレセントです。
"nice to meet you, this is your present."

ありがとうございます。"thank you."

その事はちょっとおもしろくて、楽しいだから、やったのよ! おねがいします!
this this is a little interesting and fun so, ITS ON!!!  please! (or more literaly, "please take care of me.")

I approve!

Moshiwake Arimasen!!!
I learn my Japanese phonically (Again, darn those drama class.)... I have yet to figure out how to read it... I have problems distingushing between Hiragana, Katakana, and my nightmare, Kanji.  So anything I say, in japanese most likely will be canned lines.  Again, I'm sorry.

Meirin

So what if someone replies back in complex Japanese, more than you understand? What will you do?
Also, what do you intend on accomplishing with these random acts?

I'm just being curious. :9

質問が多いすぎからサーセンww
I'm asking too many questions srry lol
Fanimaid Veteran circa 2009

Jidai Geki

Quote from: Meirin on May 12, 2009, 09:52:11 PM
So what if someone replies back in complex Japanese, more than you understand? What will you do?
Also, what do you intend on accomplishing with these random acts?

I'm just being curious. :9

質問が多いすぎからサーセンww
I'm asking too many questions srry lol
Q - So what if someone replies back in complex Japanese, more than you understand... What will you do?
A - I was at Fanime Last year and heard very few people conducting their business in Japanese, so the line is just an "Ice Breaker"... Dialogue to get someone's attention.  What would I do if confronted with a complex response in the Japanese dialect... Easy... say, "Nihongo wa wakari masen."  Don't you think hearing, "Hajimemashite, kore wa anata eno purezento desu." sounds better than hearing someone say, "Hey, guy, there's a prize in this envelope, take it."

Q- What do you intend on accomplishing with these random acts?
A- To rule the world...Errr, not really. 
   1. Test Con attendee response to the act of random prize dirtibution. (Think Publisher's Clearinghouse)
   2. Test the base format for a "Prize Patrol" event.
   3. Promote closer ties between FanimeCon, San Jose Nihonmachi and attending dealers and artists.
   4. Hopefully, creating something new to set Fanime apart from other anime cons.
   5. Hopefully, happy con attendees.

I'm just being curious. I'm asking too many questions srry lol:9
- Curiosity is good... It has a tendency to bring about change. ;D

Runewitt

this is a really cool idea. you could probably get more dealers intersted by explaining it to them at the con this year and asking for tickets/prizes that get discounts on their websites/ at con.
Brevity is the soul of Wit.
Confusion is the soul of Runewitt.

Jidai Geki

Quote from: Runewitt on May 13, 2009, 12:33:12 AM
this is a really cool idea. you could probably get more dealers intersted by explaining it to them at the con this year and asking for tickets/prizes that get discounts on their websites/ at con.
Thanks, I'll be trying out 3 different dealers for this test... I can't say who they are, but I know those individuals that receive a merchandise voucher can get some really nice stuff.  I didn't want to go to big too fast... Just want to test some parts of this event idea and get some feedback.

Meirin

Quote from: Jidai Geki on May 13, 2009, 12:08:12 AM
Don't you think hearing, "Hajimemashite, kore wa anata eno purezento desu." sounds better than hearing someone say, "Hey, guy, there's a prize in this envelope, take it."[/color]

idk some people might think you're a weeaboo and avoid like the plague, but don't take my word for it. :'D Nothing wrong with free stuff after all.
For the most part.
Fanimaid Veteran circa 2009

BlueCharisma

Jidai Geki

Quote from: Meirin on May 13, 2009, 01:29:56 AM
Quote from: Jidai Geki on May 13, 2009, 12:08:12 AM
Don't you think hearing, "Hajimemashite, kore wa anata eno purezento desu." sounds better than hearing someone say, "Hey, guy, there's a prize in this envelope, take it."[/color]

idk[sp] some people might think you're a weeaboo (weirdo) and avoid you like the plague, but don't take my word for it. :'D Nothing wrong with free stuff after all.
For the most part.
I'm putting information here so people can read and pass the info., but if people think that FanimeCon isn't ready for 'Prize Patrols' then let me know... I'll convey the info to Fanime Resource Group 'Prize Patrols' aren't supposed to be obvious... If they were, then it would ruin the suprise.  The idea here is that if it this test works on a small-scale, then it can advance to a large-scale planning next year.

I'm not going to jump out of the woodwork and scream, "BOO!"... I will approach the winner, say a catch phase (Every contest needs one...), then explain why they were selected to win.

Quote from: BlueCharisma on May 13, 2009, 01:39:19 AM
nande yanen!?
Giving out gifts/prizes is a western concept but remains the same throughtout the world... Think Santa Claus... Or does everyone think the concept of Santa giving gifts is weird too?  Oh great... Now I'm going to get sues by ST. Nick and a lump of coal... ;D

Kimiko

I personally think it's a great idea. The "surprise" factor is always fun. Think of it like a hidden camera somewhere and someone comes up to you and says "you just won so and so". Are you surprised?? Heck yeah. Are you skeptical at first "What's the catch??" Of course. And then there won't REALLY be a hidden camera, although that could also be a nifty thing for later years if it turns out to be a big thing. Then it's something that could go on the website :D But once word gets around that this could be a regular thing, people will be all over it. I mean who DOESN'T like getting free stuff? Especially GOOD stuff?

*hopes to get chosen* hahaha :D
2009 Costumes
Pita Ten ~ Shia
Rozen Maiden ~ Hina Ichigo
Gijinka Pokemon ~ Plusle
Salt5 ~ Abe Natsumi

XpHoBiaX

OOOH I like random prize thingies....X3 good suprises rock hardcore man.
I wouldn't mind participating in this "Prize Patrol" thing if it's successful, and needs more people in future conventions.

It's like those suprise grabby baggies I am a glutton for... ::)

2010 cosplay...?
Zero:80% Kadaj:?? Sisen:??

OpheliaCat8

Seems more like a random door-prize to me....like "You are our Nth customer!!!! You get a prize!!!"
Only you seem to have criteria that are known only to you, which makes it a surprise. I'll be on the lookout.

oh, and gomen ne on the nihongo.  sometimes I get carried away.
"I like to quote myself."

Cosplays for Fanime 2011
Fri  -  Kanae Kotonami, Skip Beat!
Sat -  Relm Arrowny, FFVI
Sun - Sailor Jupiter, SMStars

Jidai Geki

With great disappointment this event has been cancelled due to a serious medical situation with a parental family member.  My attendance at the Con looks doubtful as I will be assisting with out-patient recovery.  This could all change if there are signs of major improvement***... But, only time can tell.

Forgive me for raising all of your hopes, but family comes first regardless... I hope you all understand.
With sincere apologies,
Robert K. (Aka. Jidai Geki or B)

*** If I'm able to attend, I'll conduct the prize distrubution on Sunday, May 24th.  Starting at 11:00a and ending when all prizes are distributed.