Locker System 2010

Started by bagfreak247, May 26, 2009, 03:06:15 PM

bagfreak247

It would be cool to organize and produce a Locker System, where everyone will be able to put their stuff when they don't need it. Some people like to buy a whole lot, and a lot of people park far because of cheaper parking or rather free parking and wont want to go all the way to the car to drop things off. Also, for many of the cosplayers, it would be easier to change out of our costumes and into regular clothes if there was a locker system.

It's just another suggestion for Con only cuz i hated to have to go back and forth to my car to load, unload, and change. haha. Buh oh well! Con was still fun! and THE BEST so far... hehe

-AJ
"Whats not to like about anime, if you truly know what it's all about!"

idontknow

Quote from: bagfreak247 on May 26, 2009, 03:06:15 PM
It would be cool to organize and produce a Locker System, where everyone will be able to put their stuff when they don't need it. Some people like to buy a whole lot, and a lot of people park far because of cheaper parking or rather free parking and wont want to go all the way to the car to drop things off. Also, for many of the cosplayers, it would be easier to change out of our costumes and into regular clothes if there was a locker system.

It's just another suggestion for Con only cuz i hated to have to go back and forth to my car to load, unload, and change. haha. Buh oh well! Con was still fun! and THE BEST so far... hehe

-AJ

i agree!! although i think it'll be "costly" to have a lockers, another alternative can be coat-check ... but it's really not a "coat"-check. haha. there was another topic somewhere on the forum that suggested this. i think it'd be a really good idea

Aelia

I'm fairly sure it's the sort of thing that gets suggested/requested every year, and for one reason or another it never happens. It would be very nice to have lockers we could plop down for the weekend and people could rent for crap for like, $1/day or something. (Which might help break even)

Trouble is, cosplay stuff tends to be big and bulky and your standard lockers wouldn't fit it at all.

Coat-checks are risky because it puts whoever's running it in a position of liability, and we just don't have the ability to screen that carefully. Especially so when it comes to cosplay gear, which again, is bulky, so we'd have to dedicate a rather large chunk of space to it.

That's not to say it wouldn't be awesome to have a place where people could leave their stuff when they can't carry it, or don't want to carry it for a while. i just don't see it happening.
Director of Operations

idontknow

i've done coat-checks for high school dances and it seems to work out. i know it's a horrible comparision; high school dances vs. fanimecon, but here's some suggestions from high school dances:

first off, have a sign that says that fanimecon is not liable for lost or stolen items. of course fanimecon staff would try their best to watch their stuff (since that's pretty much the whole point of coat-check) but of course there is always some stranger that is able to steal from coat-check. a layout idea from high school that prevented this from happening was putting the table RIGHT in front of the doorframe of a room and technically the whole room is coatcheck and ONLY fanimecon personal are allowed inside. there are paper bags for people with little items and have "swap meet sized spaces" for people with a shizload of items and bulky cosplays. (although, it'll be hard to determine how much space congoers need) maybe renting out something as big as the karaoke room will be big enough for coat check (of course ... this is a BIG guess.) you may think "what's the point of coat check then??" ... i guess it's one more level of security then just carrying it around ^^;;

second concern: would coat-check be available overnight? i guess if you don't want it to be open overnight you can charge people for leaving their stuff overnight or simply charge for coatcheck for the whole weekend. it's kind of like renting; you pay for how long you want the coat check but if it's overdue then you get charged extra. again this is just a suggestion. i honestly don't think it's a good one because there'll always be a few people that "didn't know about it" and will complain and blah drama!

i think the coat check would be a good idea though. i did artist alley and swap meet this year and, even though i live in san jose, it was a pain bringing my stuff from my house to artist alley/swap meet and back home everyday. the coat check would definately help if there is overnight coat-check.

Sunara Ishi

I think this is a good idea for some stuff such as bags. It is annoying for those without rooms to bring their bags to cosplay gatherings. You end up leaving your bag somewhere and hope no one steals it. D: Not cool.

But if you have a ton of cosplay stuff, you really should have a room.

As cool as this would be, it may never happen because of the whole liability issue. Even if there is a sign, that may not be good enough for legal purposes.
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

mDuo13

Ah, yet another of the "good idea, but hard to do right and risky" threads.

I'm thinking of suggesting a way to do this, since as a con-commuter for years I really understand the worth of such a place. There are a lot of times when I've got a cel, several volumes of manga, or something else (this year it even included a PVC, which is rare for me) that I don't want to lug around the whole con, especially given how forgetful I can be; if I hadn't had access to my room this year, it would've been extra harsh. Those on staff who know better can pick apart my suggestion for potential holes, but maybe this way people can determine whether or not it's feasible.

The way it would work is that a room (perhaps one of the Marriot 2nd-floor rooms like the ones volunteers, staff, rovers, etc. are in?) would be set aside for so-called Coat Check. Fanime would have a large supply of paper bags; each guest (on a per-badge basis) would be allowed whatever they could fit in a paper bag to store for the entire con. (Sorry, if your cosplay is bulkier than that, you'll need a different solution.) Space is allocated on a first-come, first-serve basis. A folding table would block the door, and during normal hours of operation two staff/trusted volunteers would be on hand at all times. (During off-hours, the room would be closed and locked.) To check your items, you show your badge, and the staff writes your name on a sticky note or other label attached to the bag as well as putting your name and a one-line comment on what's in the bag into a binder. You sign a liability waiver when you check in, and you initial your line in the binder when you check out. Within the room, the paper bags are organized alphabetically by last name. After the con, people who forgot to pick things up can be notified "eventually", since theoretically the name can be cross-checked with the registration list, which includes contact information.

The biggest potential shortcoming I could see in this is the potential for a traffic jam; checking items in and out could take a while, and I doubt staff wants a big line near ConOps. Also, obviously, as long as the staff demands are to be kept small (2 people at a time, business hours only) there are strong limitations in the amount of space that can be allocated. I think that restricting it to one paper bag per badge is at least fair and adequate for many purposes, including simple cosplays, alternate shoes & shirts for B&W ball, medium-sized purchases, lunchboxes, etc.

Thoughts?

ewu

i think as it stands the con is not willing to take custody of your belongings under any circumstances, even with a disclaimer. We may hire a coat check company for the dance of the B+W ball, but that is still just a thought. If that goes well, the con may do it itself.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Liquid

I didn't read Duo's response till I had already typed this.... but here goes anyways.

I don't think it would be too farfetched to have a large room set aside for this. We could easily section off the floor into numbered squares. These squares could be rented or borrowed space. Only trusted staff would be allowed into this room. The entrance would be blocked to anyone else.

Each item or items dropped off by a person would be put into a single square if possible. The items would have stickers or tape on them labeling which con goer dropped it off by name and badge number. The con goer would be given a claim slip labeling what they dropped off and what their square number is. However, since we all know that they can and willl lose these slips....they can pick up items by using their con badge (name & number) to identify themselves.

A disclaimer stating we are not responsible for damaged items would be necessary. We, of course, would need to log each item we checked in and who dropped it off. I don't believe this would be too hard. The only issue is trustworthy manpower and the fact that this would have to be open for business all con, 24 hours a day. I do believe this would be a great way for the con to raise more charity funds though and it would (in theory) make a lot of people happy.
Tyler R. - Fanime Staff
2009 & 2010 Rovers - Suits
2011 Rovers - Graveyard Base
2012 Rovers - Second & Head of Suits
2013 Con Ops - Assistant Trouble Shooter