J-Pop Summit Festival, 8/15

Started by Tony, August 01, 2009, 05:52:51 PM

Tony

I got news from friends at VIZ Media of the J-Pop Summit street festival in two weeks on Saturday, 8/15 in Japantown San Francisco. It's also their grand opening for the NEW PEOPLE building, which will be housing some cool Japanese stores and a theater run by VIZ.

In addition to the usual food and booths from local vendors, there are going to be concerts, video premieres, fashion shows, and a special appearance by Yoshitaka Amano (of Final Fantasy artwork fame).

Looks like they're also going to screen Kamikaze Girls the night before for free... this is going to be an interesting place for bay area fans...

Anyone going? I'm going to try to make it, depending on whether I'm working on Fanime that weekend or not.  :P
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

lyricaldanichan

You should go just on principal!

Most likely going to go, mostly to see the new digs and that The Noodles is going to play at 1pm. BayAnime.com is also going to have a meetup as well!

Kazuko

Of course you should go c: I know that they are going to have a kawaii fashion show hosted by 6%DOKIDOKI and the CEO's of Black Peace Now and Baby the stars shine bright with their head designers will be there ~O:

Of course I will be there. Gotta support my number one brand Baby the stars shine bright!

Barnes

Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

Tony

Quote from: lyricaldanichan on August 01, 2009, 06:38:06 PM
Haha... this could be "Fanime Work"... if I were running MusicFest again, that would be a legitimate excuse, but not nowadays.  ;D

The Noodles are worth it by themselves, I'd say, but I'm biased since I like girls that rock.

It's good to hear that other people are doing gatherings. My contact said people are going on road trips just to see this, which is pretty cool.
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

Steve.Young

Quote from: Tony on August 02, 2009, 10:39:27 PM
Haha... this could be "Fanime Work"... if I were running MusicFest again, that would be a legitimate excuse, but not nowadays.  ;D

The Noodles are worth it by themselves, I'd say, but I'm biased since I like girls that rock.

It's good to hear that other people are doing gatherings. My contact said people are going on road trips just to see this, which is pretty cool.

Promote me to be your personal assistant and I will do your Fanime work for you.

You know I'm crazy that way.
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

Stythys

"We should not be less than what we are."

lyricaldanichan

We really should get The Noodles for Music Fest.

I would also say DEERHOOF, but I don't want to be greedy :P.

But yeah this looks like it is going to be fun!

Quote from: Tony on August 02, 2009, 10:39:27 PM

Oniko

Oh I really want to go!  But I think I'm scheduled to work that day.  If figures they never give me a shift on Saturday and the one time I really want to get away....darn
06- Ragnarok Huntress / 07- Haruhi Suzumiya
08- Shana / 09 - Luluko
10 - Holo / 11 - Flaaffy
12 - Inga / 13 - Lizbeth

Barnes

I need to figure out what I'll wear. Now which t-shirt should I use?
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

Jerry

I heard about the Lolita fashion show:

Presented by Baby- The Stars shine Bright - store that will eventually open maybe sometime this or next year. :P

I think fans are still trying to figure out how to work there :P

Overall take pictures you people so i will feel that i am there in spirit :D
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Kazuko

Quote from: Jerry on August 13, 2009, 08:54:34 AM

Presented by Baby- The Stars shine Bright - store that will eventually open maybe sometime this or next year. :P

The Fashion show is hosted by Baby and Black Peace now its featuring all the clothes that were debuted in Paris Japan Expo so its quite a real treat! I get to see one of my dream dresses in person!

Baby is actually opening this sat at 12noon lol the Founder of baby Akinori Isobe will be there along with Japan's Kawaii ambassador and Baby the stars shine bright /lolita model Misako Aoki will be present along with Alice and the Pirates Designer Kumiko Uehara.

Also baby is doing a Tea party but tickets are available for only the first 50 people that spend over 200 dollars there (lol thats like one dress)

There was an application process for baby where you had to send in a resume and photo (I know that coz I applied there and got an interview)

Stythys

just to let people know, we have a group meeting up at the powell BART around 10:20, and then going to Jtown and meeting up with a bunch more people at the info booth (as seen here) around 11, when everything starts!
"We should not be less than what we are."

Kertus

Mario '06. Sven '08. Jared '09. Gai '10. Cobra '11. Kenji '12. Spike '13.
irc.rizon.net #fanime Click here to connect to IRC

rude32

Quote from: Kazuko on August 13, 2009, 01:03:39 PM

The Fashion show is hosted by Baby and Black Peace now its featuring all the clothes that were debuted in Paris Japan Expo so its quite a real treat! I get to see one of my dream dresses in person!

Baby is actually opening this sat at 12noon lol the Founder of baby Akinori Isobe will be there along with Japan's Kawaii ambassador and Baby the stars shine bright /lolita model Misako Aoki will be present along with Alice and the Pirates Designer Kumiko Uehara.

Also baby is doing a Tea party but tickets are available for only the first 50 people that spend over 200 dollars there (lol thats like one dress)

There was an application process for baby where you had to send in a resume and photo (I know that coz I applied there and got an interview)
so have you found out if you have a job there yet?
A hero forever loyal to the flames of war now rests in Outer Heaven

RUDE: Rub Up Desperate Elephants- Thanks shy-cosplayer

Kazuko

Quote from: rude32 on August 13, 2009, 09:54:56 PM

they are still narrowing down the candidates because sooo many people applied. Keeping my fingers crossed

BlueCharisma

This is great news for me as my favorite brand is BPN and getting their clothing was very limited for me.

rude32

Quote from: Kazuko on August 14, 2009, 01:29:55 AM
Quote from: rude32 on August 13, 2009, 09:54:56 PM

they are still narrowing down the candidates because sooo many people applied. Keeping my fingers crossed
Well good luck on getting the job.
A hero forever loyal to the flames of war now rests in Outer Heaven

RUDE: Rub Up Desperate Elephants- Thanks shy-cosplayer

j9isawesome

You know I'll be there, far too early, freezing my ruffly butt off in line for BTTSB. :)
Formerly known as Felicity869

EdOfNoName

I hope to arrive in time for the Noddles concert.