3rd Annual - SJ Spirit of Japantown Festival 09-26-2K9

Started by Jidai Geki, August 23, 2009, 05:32:04 PM

Lady_Hoshi

Quote from: Jidai Geki on December 05, 2009, 07:42:28 AM

Now a re-post of the ORIGNAL question:
What would Cos-Players be interested in seeing or doing at a Nihonmachi Matsuri (Japantown Festival)?

well, from past experiences of trying to organize cosplay events, I would always be told that cosplaying might not be respectful to the culture.  So maybe if a cosplay event or contest were on the page of the festival it would encourage more cosplayers.
Fanime Con 2015 Cosplay:
Fri: Unknown
Sat: Unknown
Sat. night: Panda kigurumi
Sun: Queen Nehelenia (Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon)
Mon: Unknown

Jidai Geki

Quote from: Lady_Hoshi on December 09, 2009, 07:44:07 PM
Quote from: Jidai Geki on December 05, 2009, 07:42:28 AM

Now a re-post of the ORIGNAL question:
What would Cos-Players be interested in seeing or doing at a Nihonmachi Matsuri (Japantown Festival)?

well, from past experiences of trying to organize cosplay events, I would always be told that cosplaying might not be respectful to the culture.  So maybe if a cosplay event or contest were on the page of the festival it would encourage more cosplayers.

Lady Hoshi-sama... Ohisashi buri desu ne!  ;D

I have seen this issue from both sides and here's the circluar problem...

Festival Point-of-View:

SJ Nihonmachi would like to host cosplay events at their festivals, BUT without a show of interest  in the matter, it will remain a thought.

Cos-Player Point-of-View:
Why should we attend if there are no events or contest, and people look at us like we are being disrespectful.

Currently:
Most of the individuals on the festival planning committees don't know how to appoach the Cos-Play issue and are willing to welcome volunteers to help them coordinate events.  I've been volunteering for 3 years now (Nikkei Matsuri, Obon and SoJT) and they appreciate the cos-play ideas I've given them to set our festivals apart from other Bay Area festivals.  Most of them would work if I had enough committed individuals. 

As for Cos-Play being culturally disrespectful to the Japanese...?
One has to remind those offended, mostly Westerners and the ill informed, that Cos-Play is a form of performance art that found its rise in a Japanese Sub-culture.  That it tests one's artistic ability to reproduce fashion/technical design from what is seen in Japanese (Or other cultures) media arts or history... But IT is Japanese.

Stormfalcon

One thing you might want to consider is checking out sites like Cosplay.com and others.  There have been plenty of gatherings and organized events set up there, like the SF Japantown Christmas gathering on 12/12 (originally to be held at Golden Gate Park, but moved due to weather), the Christmas in the Park gathering on 12/5, the Fall gathering in Vasona Park on 10/17 (which I helped organize), the Summer gathering in Kelly Park on 8/15, and plenty of others.  You'd likely get a lot more interest and input.

My Cosplay Photography gallery, including FanimeCon 2001-2014:
http://stormfalcon.smugmug.com/CosplayPhotography

My DeviantArt Page:
http://stormfalcon.deviantart.com

mochisnack

I've been to Spirit of JapanTown for the last 2 years, but I disappointed to not see any cosplay events this year. Stage Zero did some fun interviews and games in 2008, so if there were more events in the festivals for cosplayers, the overall festival would be more enjoyable; not just for those dressed up, but the families~

I dance at Obon every year, but if there's cosplay events throughout the year, I'll make sure to come to San Jose more often!
Fanime 2013 Lineup *TENTATIVE*
Friday: Irabu Ichirou, Hakaba Kitaro
Saturday: XIAH Junsu "Tarantallegra",Hagane Miku
Sunday: Ciel Phantomhive, Yuzuriha Inori
Monday: Tachibana Mei

Jidai Geki

Quote from: Stormfalcon on December 13, 2009, 10:39:19 AM
One thing you might want to consider is checking out sites like Cosplay.com and others.  There have been plenty of gatherings and organized events set up there, like the SF Japantown Christmas gathering on 12/12 (originally to be held at Golden Gate Park, but moved due to weather), the Christmas in the Park gathering on 12/5, the Fall gathering in Vasona Park on 10/17 (which I helped organize), the Summer gathering in Kelly Park on 8/15, and plenty of others.  You'd likely get a lot more interest and input.

StormFalcon,
Thanks for the info and I'll keep it under consideration.  Posting info for gatherings and contests seem simple, so we were looking for something a step higher entertainment wise... Things not seen or done at any other festivals... We need people to actively sit on the festival planning committees to coordinate Cos-Play events... These people are hard to find as are Cos-Players not limited to popular anime.  

Subject aside, any 'Period', 'Live-Action' or 'Original' Cos-Players' out there?
Quote from: mochisnack on December 13, 2009, 07:41:34 PM
I've been to Spirit of JapanTown for the last 2 years, but I disappointed to not see any cosplay events this year. Stage Zero did some fun interviews and games in 2008, so if there were more events in the festivals for cosplayers, the overall festival would be more enjoyable; not just for those dressed up, but the families~

I dance at Obon every year, but if there's cosplay events throughout the year, I'll make sure to come to San Jose more often!

Mochisnack,
Domo Arigato Gozaimasu, for attending our Matsuri and showing support for San Jose Nihonmachi...  I apologize for the inconsistancies in our festivals and hope to change this in future events.  

I know firsthand how Cos-Play can make a festival more enjoyable for families... During SJ Obon 2009, I was in Edo period Cosplay.  What was supposed to be 4-hours of Cos-play turned into 12-hours on Saturday and 8-hours on Sunday.  I was there unofficially at the festival. Locals and visitors kept complementing me on my attire. It's Cos-Play???  I met visitors from around the U.S. and the world... I entertained kids (With stories and games of Cho-Han Bakuchi), answered questions, guided tourist and had the most photos taken of me, ever.  The number one question asked was, "Will there be more costumed people?"  I replied, "I don't know... I was the only committed one."  This was the best use of Cos-Play I could ever have thought of... To use Cos-Play to help others.

I've contacted all of SJ Nihonmachi main Chair-persons during the last festival season... Nikkei Matsuri (Mr. Hayashi), SJ Obon (Mr. McClure) and SoJT (Mrs. Sakamoto)...  They all had a positive response regarding Cos-Play during their events... They just expressed a need for volunteers to coordinate the projects.

As a side note, only 'Period' Cos-Play would be considered acceptable during Bon dance festivities. NOT anime characters based in a 'Period' anime.

Lady_Hoshi

Quote from: Jidai Geki on December 13, 2009, 09:32:28 PM

They just expressed a need for volunteers to coordinate the projects.

So how do I get more involved?
Fanime Con 2015 Cosplay:
Fri: Unknown
Sat: Unknown
Sat. night: Panda kigurumi
Sun: Queen Nehelenia (Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon)
Mon: Unknown

Jidai Geki

Quote from: Lady_Hoshi on December 15, 2009, 09:25:41 PM
So how do I get more involved?

Easiest way is to contact the festival chair-person and ask about volunteer opportunities or a desire to conduct an event during a festival... I.e. Cos-Play Contest, karaoke show...etc.

Here are the festvals for SJ Nihonmachi:
http://www.nikkeimatsuri.org/     Next Date: Sun. April 25th, 2010
http://www.sjbetsuin.com/Obon/Homepage     Next Date: Sat. July 10th & Sun July 11th, 2010
http://www.spiritofjapantownfestival.com/contacts.htm     Next Date: TBA

Their response may be a bit slow, because they too are volunteers who have day jobs...  So, give them some time to respond.

Jidai Geki

Well, This thread got a little off track.  So, I should end this here...  I'll make a new post to address any activities that will occur at San Jose Nihonmachi. 

Again, Thanks to all who showed interest in reading this posting.