Masquerade Info for 2010 - FINAL UPDATE 5/26/10 *PLEASE LOCK*

Started by angeljibrille, September 20, 2009, 12:30:26 AM

angeljibrille

Marisa (Angeljibrille) will NOT be reading the Forums or Email anymore (sorry!). Consider this thread locked. I'll see you all at the convention! :D

(you can ask questions and make changes when you check in!)

(based on past experience, I expect most of the waiting list will get in -- so be sure to check in as soon as possible to reserve your spot!)

FINAL MASQUERADE LIST 5/26/10 @ 8:51pm  

http://anime-online.com/fanime_cosplay/list.php

Locations / Important Information:

Friday, May 28, 2010 @ SJCC F:
http://www.sanjose.org/meetings/facilities/convention.php?x=floorplans
9am – 5pm Masquerade Check-in, Music Submission, Craftsmanship Judging, Masquerade Practice Area Open

Saturday, May 29, 2010 @ SJCC F:
http://www.sanjose.org/meetings/facilities/convention.php?x=floorplans
8am – 12pm Masquerade Check-in, Music Submission,  Masquerade Practice Area Open

Saturday, May 29, 2010 @ CIVIC:
http://www.sanjose.org/meetings/facilities/civic_aud.php
9am – 4pm Craftsmanship Judging
2pm – 4pm OPTIONAL Masquerade Rehearsal
5pm - 6pm Mandatory Masquerade Meeting
6:30pm  Masquerade Begins

Performances:

•Performances will now be limited to 2 minutes 30 seconds, with a maximum of 30 additional seconds setup and teardown time for large props and sets.
•All large props (including scenery, backgrounds, etc.) must be easy to assemble and disassemble. Immediately after your performance, you must tear down anything that cannot be removed from the theater as a whole unit at the end of the Masquerade.
•At the end of the Masquerade, all items need to be removed from backstage during the awards ceremony. If you need to add an additional stage ninja to your group to perform this task, let me know in advance.
•Any large props (such as backgrounds and scenery) must be pre-approved by the Masquerade Coordinator ([email protected]).
•There will be no spots for Special Performances this year; they have already been filled.

ALL updates, including when the web site data is posted, will be listed here in this very post. Please look to this post for udpates!

Weapons Policy questions should be directed to [email protected], not to me.

Thanks everyone!

Marisa
Masquerade Coordinator

ayame_nguyen

Sorry for the noob qustion. i'm planing to be a part of the masquerade and i have some questions about the skit,
can the skit have fighting in it? like with a sword that's aproved my the rovers of course.
also is it 1 person per costume? or can 1 person do a quick change durring the skit?

Charis

Since this seems to be the closest I can find to a Masquerade Questions thread: I remember hearing that one year walk-ons did not have their own music, but rather worked within something preset.  Can anyone answer whether or not walk-ons will be using their own audio in 2010?

Thanks!
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

lunarknight

I'm not sure if this was the right place to ask this

but the question I have is the use of words in scripts used in masquerade. I was curious as to what words were good, bad, and border lined between the two. Obviously I know what words are not tolerated. But some words I'm not sure about. For example "bastard"

angeljibrille

Quote from: ayame_nguyen on November 24, 2009, 08:46:55 PM
Sorry for the noob qustion. i'm planing to be a part of the masquerade and i have some questions about the skit,
can the skit have fighting in it? like with a sword that's aproved my the rovers of course.
also is it 1 person per costume? or can 1 person do a quick change durring the skit?

Yes, you can have fighting in your skit. However, yes, the sword needs to be approved by rovers.

The "quick change" depends on what you mean. We have had people in a costume, and they "tear off" the top layer (sometimes even on stage) and have a costume underneath -- which would be fine. We have had people go offstage and add a mask to their outfit (such as Ichigo from Bleach putting on his hollow mask), or put on a coat or something, which are also fine. If for any reason you need to completely change costumes, that's not allowed, as it is one costume per person.

I hope that clarifies it :)

angeljibrille

Quote from: Charis on December 14, 2009, 01:19:37 PM
Since this seems to be the closest I can find to a Masquerade Questions thread: I remember hearing that one year walk-ons did not have their own music, but rather worked within something preset.  Can anyone answer whether or not walk-ons will be using their own audio in 2010?

Thanks!

You are welcome to bring your own music! However, we DO require music so if you do NOT provide music, we provide something for you. :)

Thanks!

angeljibrille

Quote from: lunarknight on December 19, 2009, 11:31:56 PM
I'm not sure if this was the right place to ask this

but the question I have is the use of words in scripts used in masquerade. I was curious as to what words were good, bad, and border lined between the two. Obviously I know what words are not tolerated. But some words I'm not sure about. For example "bastard"

Anything that you hear on normal broacast TV is fine. As a rule of thumb, the S-word and F-word are prohibited as well as any derogatory words (n-word, f-word, etc.) that would be considered offensive to a racial group, religion, sexual orientation, disability, class, ethnicity, nationality, age, gender, gender identity, or political affiliation. Say that 10 times fast! :D

lunarknight

I was wondering also how much control we have over the stage since I wanted to control the light settings to go on and off at certain times.

I know that the fanime stage ninjas won't be able to do it because they are busy with other things and won't remember the timing. So can our own stage ninjas control the lighting during those times?

angeljibrille

Quote from: lunarknight on January 13, 2010, 07:39:21 PM
I was wondering also how much control we have over the stage since I wanted to control the light settings to go on and off at certain times.

I know that the fanime stage ninjas won't be able to do it because they are busy with other things and won't remember the timing. So can our own stage ninjas control the lighting during those times?

The lighting is all controlled by the Union staff for the theater (in this case, the Civic). We are not in any way allowed to touch the light board. Any and all requests for special lighting can be requested in advance. However, you need to remember that the more complicated you make it, the more likely the lightboard guy (who has very little involvment with your skit) will be able to reproduce it. I sincerely recommend you make the instructions REALLY simple such as "Start skit with lights down; at 1:05 flash lights, etc. Also keep in mind that the lightboard guy may not have the exact music timing due to the fact that he's not running the music (the sound guy is).... so your lights may not go off at 1:05 exactly. It's easier to have a queue in the music (when we say "Here I go!" in the script, about 1 minute in, flash the lights!"_. I hope that helps.

Rette

Do you know if they're planning on using the new sound system this year or do we need to block our skits around having the line array speakers on stage again?

~ Gaffer Tape is like the Force. There's a Dark Side and a Light Side and it Holds the Universe Together. ~

Member of Three Dollar Laugh Cosplay

lunarknight

Well I simply need the lights to go on and off at certain times which are more or less roughly in 10 to 20 second intervals.

D001

Congrats to you!  :D

Forgive me if I missed where this was posted, but I only saw the time limit for skits.  Is there one for walk-ons?  I'm guessing about 45 sec, but would like to be sure...

Also, will we be able to have a handler with us in Green Room?  What about "backstage"?  My handler would not come on stage with me, but would be helpful for costume handling and the such...

How is the stage set up?  Is it going to be a ramp up to the stage, where people will see us before we officially get on stage?  Or will it be more of a proper stage, where we will be completely on stage when the audience can see us?  And with that, will the music start when we are on stage?  Or prior?

Do we sign up for craftsmanship judging on-site? Or can we do that in advance?  And how many slots will there be for judging?  (and, by rote, will this particular bit of info be posted closing to registering time?)

Thanks so much!
D
D

Next Costumes: Goujun (Saiyuki), Sanzo (Saiyuki), King of Tai (Twelve Kingdoms), Mihai (DOGS), Sailor Pluto (Sailor Moon)?, Rapunzel (Tangled)?

Rette

Quote from: D001 on January 14, 2010, 05:51:47 PM
How is the stage set up?  Is it going to be a ramp up to the stage, where people will see us before we officially get on stage?  Or will it be more of a proper stage, where we will be completely on stage when the audience can see us?  And with that, will the music start when we are on stage?  Or prior?

Stage Dimensions
Stage proscenium Width 49' 9"
Height 30' 0"
Proscenium to south right wall 28' 0"
Proscenium to south left wall 28' 0"
Stage maximum width 112' 0"
Edge of apron to back wall 39' 0"
Apron to act curtain 6' 6"
Grid height 63' 0"
Plaster line to spot booth 165' 0"
Main floor to stage level 4' 0"

And the Floor Plans:
http://www.sanjose.org/meetings/facilities/civic_aud.php?x=floorplans

It's a real stage, and you enter from the wings. ^_^

~ Gaffer Tape is like the Force. There's a Dark Side and a Light Side and it Holds the Universe Together. ~

mlarad

Do you know if the preliminaries for the world cosplay summit 2010 are going to take place at Fanime, maybe a different day than the actual masquerade?

c_jai

Hi. My friends and I wanted to participate in this years masquerade, but we really don't want to be disqualified for being stupid or have to change everything the last minute to still be a part of it.

We're looking at doing a skit which has a number of anime characters in it with just two fans having a conversation about anime pairings. Out question is does everyone have to be in cosplay (i.e. those two fans)? We understand half of the awards given are for costume construction and these two wouldn't be eligible for those awards, but our group is leaning more towards the performance side of the masquerade, and although we could set it to a series with everyone is in costume and character I personally feel that it would interfere with our own performance of it and take away some of its value.

Also, is there a person limit to the skits?

Dany

Quote from: angeljibrille on September 20, 2009, 12:30:26 AM
2. Registration opens on April 1, 2010, at 11:59pm.

Just wanted to clarify, since April 1 at 11:59 PM is the end of the day on April 1, the first "full" day of reg is actually April 2nd?

I'm sure this sounds awfully silly and nitpicky, but I like to be sure on these things ;)
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

hellangel

Quote from: mlarad on January 15, 2010, 09:29:26 AM
Do you know if the preliminaries for the world cosplay summit 2010 are going to take place at Fanime, maybe a different day than the actual masquerade?

Oooh, yes, I'd like to know this as well. New York shouldn't be the only place to host prelims XD
Upcoming events:

YCon | PMX | ALA | AOD | Fanime | AX

kagome437

ok this may be a silly question. if the masqurade is on saterday, do you know when the masqurade begins and approximently may end? its my first fanime, and really want to be in masqurade but i only can stay a single day. so any help and advice you may have will be very much appericiated.

Rette

Quote from: kagome437 on January 28, 2010, 06:23:39 PM
ok this may be a silly question. if the masqurade is on saterday, do you know when the masqurade begins and approximently may end? its my first fanime, and really want to be in masqurade but i only can stay a single day. so any help and advice you may have will be very much appericiated.

I can't remember the official start and end times, but if you want to be in it you need to leave your whole afternoon open after 4 for the rehearsals and the meetings and such. ^_^ Usually it ends around 10-ish, if I recall correctly.

lunarknight

Quote from: kagome437 on January 28, 2010, 06:23:39 PM

4 is the rehearsal time, 5 is when everyone more or less gets into place, and 6 is when the show begins and will end roughly around 10 depending on how many performances are up and how long they last. At least that is more or less the time frame. Also if this is your first time make sure to be calm and well prepared for it. Also and most importantly have fun with it.