Masquerade Info for 2010 - FINAL UPDATE 5/26/10 *PLEASE LOCK*

Started by angeljibrille, September 20, 2009, 12:30:26 AM

slifertheskydragon

this might be an odd question, but would there be a way to invite cosplay guests who've judged at other cons to be judges at fanime? (the problem is they live about 1500 miles east of CA)

they're judging at another con for 2010 on the same weekend, but I think they'll be free in 2011 (they've never been to a con in CA either)

edit: they've been officially announced as guests for SanJapan http://www.san-japan.org/v2/convention-information/guests/artist-cosplay/we-heart-card-games-cosplay (Texas) and Gale Kon (Illinois) and have judged at previous events in the area.

angeljibrille

Quote from: Dany on January 17, 2010, 09:25:59 PM
Quote from: angeljibrille on September 20, 2009, 12:30:26 AM
2. Registration opens on April 1, 2010, at 11:59pm.

Just wanted to clarify, since April 1 at 11:59 PM is the end of the day on April 1, the first "full" day of reg is actually April 2nd?

I'm sure this sounds awfully silly and nitpicky, but I like to be sure on these things ;)

Yes, it opens on April 1, NOT April 31.  So, in the evening on April 1, and April 2 is the first full day.

angeljibrille

Quote from: Rette on January 14, 2010, 10:41:04 AM
Do you know if they're planning on using the new sound system this year or do we need to block our skits around having the line array speakers on stage again?

Yep, I've asked many times -- that's the way it has to be set up :(  Sorry! So, please, plan on blocking with the speakers.

Also, as a piece of advice to people; PLEASE try to be as close to the front of the stage as possible. If you are in the back (or taking up the whole stage), many people in the audience CANNOT see you...

angeljibrille

Quote from: D001 on January 14, 2010, 05:51:47 PM
Congrats to you!  :D

Forgive me if I missed where this was posted, but I only saw the time limit for skits.  Is there one for walk-ons?  I'm guessing about 45 sec, but would like to be sure...

The walk-ons are staged like a fashion show; you walk on, do a couple of poses, and walk off. It's a very short timeframe.

Also, will we be able to have a handler with us in Green Room?  What about "backstage"?  My handler would not come on stage with me, but would be helpful for costume handling and the such...

There isn't a green room per se. Basically you are seated in the audience where you can see the entire show; we bring you backstage a few spots before your turn. You need to be in costume and ready-to-go. If you have large parts for the costume, they can be left backstage and you can be brought up early to get those on before your performance. Each group is allowed 1-2 stage ninjas for assistance, and we also have our staff ninjas to assist. Our staff will NOT help with costumes, you must bring your own person for that.

How is the stage set up?  Is it going to be a ramp up to the stage, where people will see us before we officially get on stage?  Or will it be more of a proper stage, where we will be completely on stage when the audience can see us?  And with that, will the music start when we are on stage?  Or prior?

It's a proper stage. The music will start when you request it to; that will be a choice in the database when you register.

Do we sign up for craftsmanship judging on-site? Or can we do that in advance?  And how many slots will there be for judging?  (and, by rote, will this particular bit of info be posted closing to registering time?)

This year we will have people register for a judging slot. Once you have that slot, you will not be able to change it. If you miss it, you will not be judged for Craftsmanship (only for performance). First come, first serve. So, if you absolutely have to have a Saturday judging slot -- you will need to be in the queue to register on April 1 at 11:59pm.

Thanks!
Marisa

angeljibrille

Quote from: mlarad on January 15, 2010, 09:29:26 AM
Do you know if the preliminaries for the world cosplay summit 2010 are going to take place at Fanime, maybe a different day than the actual masquerade?

Not that I know of; no one has brought this to my attention. The FanimeCon Msaquerade is definitely not a part of the World Cosplay Summit.

angeljibrille

Quote from: kagome437 on January 28, 2010, 06:23:39 PM
ok this may be a silly question. if the masqurade is on saterday, do you know when the masqurade begins and approximently may end? its my first fanime, and really want to be in masqurade but i only can stay a single day. so any help and advice you may have will be very much appericiated.

If you are a participant, you will need to be at the event from about 5pm - 11pm.

angeljibrille

Quote from: c_jai on January 16, 2010, 09:33:33 AM
We're looking at doing a skit which has a number of anime characters in it with just two fans having a conversation about anime pairings. Out question is does everyone have to be in cosplay (i.e. those two fans)? We understand half of the awards given are for costume construction and these two wouldn't be eligible for those awards, but our group is leaning more towards the performance side of the masquerade, and although we could set it to a series with everyone is in costume and character I personally feel that it would interfere with our own performance of it and take away some of its value.

This is fine.

Also, is there a person limit to the skits?

12 + 2 stage ninjas

[/quote]

angeljibrille

Quote from: slifertheskydragon on February 08, 2010, 07:03:56 PM
this might be an odd question, but would there be a way to invite cosplay guests who've judged at other cons to be judges at fanime? (the problem is they live about 1500 miles east of CA)

they're judging at another con for 2010 on the same weekend, but I think they'll be free in 2011 (they've never been to a con in CA either)

edit: they've been officially announced as guests for SanJapan http://www.san-japan.org/v2/convention-information/guests/artist-cosplay/we-heart-card-games-cosplay (Texas) and Gale Kon (Illinois) and have judged at previous events in the area.

We do not have a budget to fly people out here; judging is a staff position and at Fanime we do not provide things like flight costs for our staffers. We are volunteers and we pay our own way, with the exception of a staff badge and a guest badge and some added perks for judges. If they are interested in coming out and working for 2 days (Friday and Saturday) as judges, considering what I have said, please have them contact me at [email protected]

KazeGaara

Two questions:

First - If my group and I register for the masquerade (and actually get to perform), are we required to stay the entire show, or can we leave sometime after our performance?

Second - Again assuming that we get to perform there are a couple of people that may want to watch. Do they have to purchase a day-pass badge in order to watch the performances?

Dany

Quote from: KazeGaara on March 04, 2010, 05:51:53 PM
Two questions:

First - If my group and I register for the masquerade (and actually get to perform), are we required to stay the entire show, or can we leave sometime after our performance?

The trick to that is if you receive an award, you won't be around to accept it because those don't come until the end (and never assume you won't get an award until they announce everything and say you don't..you might be surprised!).  So something to think about :)

Just my humble two cents..take 'em as you will!

Based on angeljibrille's post about the time frame, the expectation is that you stay until around 11PM. Things could run late or even end early, depending on the situation.  I would say if you need to depart before 11 for any reason, let her know and get it pre-arranged, or be prepared to make those requests in registration when signups are live. Depending on how early you need to leave, you might need to request that your entry be bumped up in the run list as well, so just keep that in mind too.

QuoteSecond - Again assuming that we get to perform there are a couple of people that may want to watch. Do they have to purchase a day-pass badge in order to watch the performances?

Traditionally it's required that you have a badge to access any big convention event, especially one like Masquerade.  Yes, it's a bit of an inconvenience to buy a badge for a day for one event, but look at it this way: the money for your friends to come see you perform helps keep the convention going. :)

Worst case scenario, there is a very high chance that your performance will find its way to YouTube about a week or so after the convention ends. While it's not in-person, your friends will still be able to see what you did that way!
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

KazeGaara

Quote from: Dany on March 05, 2010, 01:54:05 PM
Quote from: KazeGaara on March 04, 2010, 05:51:53 PM
Two questions:

The trick to that is if you receive an award, you won't be around to accept it because those don't come until the end (and never assume you won't get an award until they announce everything and say you don't..you might be surprised!).  So something to think about :)

Just my humble two cents..take 'em as you will!

Based on angeljibrille's post about the time frame, the expectation is that you stay until around 11PM. Things could run late or even end early, depending on the situation.  I would say if you need to depart before 11 for any reason, let her know and get it pre-arranged, or be prepared to make those requests in registration when signups are live. Depending on how early you need to leave, you might need to request that your entry be bumped up in the run list as well, so just keep that in mind too.

QuoteSecond - Again assuming that we get to perform there are a couple of people that may want to watch. Do they have to purchase a day-pass badge in order to watch the performances?

Traditionally it's required that you have a badge to access any big convention event, especially one like Masquerade.  Yes, it's a bit of an inconvenience to buy a badge for a day for one event, but look at it this way: the money for your friends to come see you perform helps keep the convention going. :)

Worst case scenario, there is a very high chance that your performance will find its way to YouTube about a week or so after the convention ends. While it's not in-person, your friends will still be able to see what you did that way!

Thank-you for your response to my questions. I will keep what you said in mind.

This is our first attempt at something like this, hence the questions. That said, everybody has to start somewhere, right?

We don't expect it to be successful, at all - but we'll do our best to at least make it look like we tried.

astel

I know in the past there has been a limit to the number of people that can be in a given skit and more people needs prior approval.  Is there an email address I can direct my question to?

Beastcub

are there any prizes? wondercon has a $500 cash prize and now i am wondering if i should skip fanime's masquerade and do the one at wondercon. the costume i plan to enter is a lot of work to wear and my younger sister is the one stuck in it and i know the cahnce at getting prize money would make her feel better about me "torturing" her XD

Dany

Quote from: Beastcub on March 19, 2010, 02:49:19 PM
are there any prizes? wondercon has a $500 cash prize and now i am wondering if i should skip fanime's masquerade and do the one at wondercon. the costume i plan to enter is a lot of work to wear and my younger sister is the one stuck in it and i know the cahnce at getting prize money would make her feel better about me "torturing" her XD

If you're talking about the prize that I think you are, that's the Frank & Son prize and it's a company award that there is high competition for. Based on what I've seen win the award (it's given at both WonderCon and SDCC) you REALLY have to go over well with the audience.  Look up Pinky and the Brain for ComicCon and you'll get an idea of the kind of crowd response that F&S looks for, as they were one of the first entries to win that award when it started.

Not to try to make the decision one way or the other for you, but I figure you might want to know that as you're thinking about it.

Personally, I would suggest looking at both Fanime and WonderCon and think about where your costume will be best received.  Think about what the audiences of both events will expect, perhaps look at what has been entered in the past on YouTube and seek out what has succeeded in getting a good audience response.

As for your sister? I suggest doing something cool for your sister anyways in exchange for your "torture"...i.e. treat her to a good dinner the next day or buy her something nice from the dealer's room. If the costume is that difficult, I am sure she would appreciate something nice in appreciation of her hard work...any awards you might receive would be a bonus.

Beastcub

opp well i just took a closer look at wondercon and pre-rge for the masq closed and it runs rather late to attend on a dat trip with a 1-2 hour drive home...

gwhsanimeclub

i know there's the 2min 30sec time limit, but how long do we have to set up our stuff and remove it afterwords? also, is it ok to have it like 2min 35sec? or does it have to be exactly under 2min30sec? cause my group's skit... we kind of are struggling to fit it under 2min and 40sec :(

lunarknight

I was wondering if chairs,tables, and cloths were going to be provided for us or do we have to bring it ourselves.

Dany

Quote from: lunarknight on March 24, 2010, 03:02:59 AM
I was wondering if chairs,tables, and cloths were going to be provided for us or do we have to bring it ourselves.

For onstage? Or backstage?

For backstage, I was under the impression that there were few, if any, resources for preparing oneself there, so I made my own plan to do the majority of my preparations at my hotel. I figured out that if I put on my makeup, wig, and base bodysuit in my room, I could put on a zip-up hoodie to cover it and walk over with everything else in a plastic garment bag.

For onstage...I couldn't begin to tell you, but my guess is that you would have to bring your own and get ninja assistance to set things up.

Sharktongue

Quote from: Dany on March 24, 2010, 09:30:27 AM
Quote from: lunarknight on March 24, 2010, 03:02:59 AM

For onstage? Or backstage?

For backstage, I was under the impression that there were few, if any, resources for preparing oneself there, so I made my own plan to do the majority of my preparations at my hotel. I figured out that if I put on my makeup, wig, and base bodysuit in my room, I could put on a zip-up hoodie to cover it and walk over with everything else in a plastic garment bag.

For onstage...I couldn't begin to tell you, but my guess is that you would have to bring your own and get ninja assistance to set things up.

In previous years, the only time you are 'backstage' (or actually I'd call it in the stage 'wing'), is a few skits before you go ON. You get up from the audience a few skits before yours, wait to one side in a mush of people and their props that go on just before and after you, and then go on for your turn. There is nothing back there to use, or to change behind, or sit on. No chairs, nothing, should be counted; the chairs there generally have staff sitting in them ;). You stand there before you actually walk on. It's possible there could be a folding chair you would borrow. .....but also maybe not. On the subject of tables, I remember seeing tables, but they were covered in backstage 'stuff'. People's props, etc. So. Bring everything you need!
However, if you bring say a folding chair, I'm sure you could set it aside in the stage wing for a ninja to put on for you, for example.

Edit:
This is from other years' experience, but maybe it can help answer some questions. :3
- If you're not already in costume, you need to be, before you actually arrive at the masquerade. There IS a restroom there, but there's also people with the same idea or touching things up. Better to just wear a cloak on your way to the show than to try to put anything on when you arrive. There is NO backstage to speak of, no greenroom. There's a hallway, and it's full of cosplayers with giant wings and swords and people trying to get down those last few dance steps-- and that's before they seat all the cosplayers in the audience, to wait their turn to go on. If you can't sit or fit in audience, you'd better ask for a early number in the run order. :)
- There's little bits of space in the stage wing to store backdrop stuff. However, it was PACKED last year with giant backdrop cubes and monsters. No wonder the rules say to clear it with the staff first. Definitely clear it, so there's space for your item!
- If you bring a prop or stage item of some kind, bring HELP to carry EVERYTHING in one go. If you can't carry your chair, or prop yourself, you'll need a ninja, because at the end of the show, you have to haul butt to get everything out of there immediately. When you make your item or if you have to construct it on site, make sure you account for quick teardown.
- On lighting: ....don't make the lighting people do confusing things. They don't know your skit, they don't listen, and they will mess up your cue. Yeah, you can ask the person to turn the lights off at a spoken word, but they may not even hear it, or may be talking to someone else on headset at the time. Three years ago we had a lighting cue, and yes, they did do it -- Early! Don't do lighting cues, is my advice. Just don't write it in. (Imagine a dramatic skit where the lights need to go off at a dramatic line. Now imagine them going off well before it. Yeah.) And a problem with your 'strobe' effect is that you're going to have some really crappy youtube footage of it. Many video cameras unfocus when it goes black. So you'll end up with a big blurry fuzz for a skit, probably.

angeljibrille

Quote from: astel on March 17, 2010, 10:41:39 PM
I know in the past there has been a limit to the number of people that can be in a given skit and more people needs prior approval.  Is there an email address I can direct my question to?

12 people, 2 stage ninjas. If you need 1 more stage ninja due to large props, please let me know at [email protected]