Suggestion for Video Programming in 2010

Started by Avairrianna, October 14, 2009, 05:24:26 PM

caskaslyrk

I would definately like to see maybe a korean drama marathon...good suggestion would be Boys before flowers (KOREAN VERSION)...A.N.jell is another korean drama that just came out very funny and would set a good tone in fanime next year.  Maybe there could just be a drama "asian drama" room  :o

the otaku god

Well I know I said the video section would be up a month ago. all I can say its coming there's just so much info, images and video events it just take so long to be put up. I promise you will not be disappointed I'm also planning a very special fan get together event that I have been wanting to do for years now. Something near and dear to my hart that will make everyone from the Genres happy. Just keep your eyes peeled for the video section that is soon to come and let me know what you think once glimpsed. On a side note all the clubs emailing me just keep them coming once the site is truly up you'll see your club info up as well.
is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? is it like the hand of god hovering above? at least it is true that man has no control, even over his own destiny.

Sailor Star Dust

Hope this is the right thread, but I seriously hope a fansub OR raw version (I've seen a camrip of both) of Evangelion 2.0 (Ha: Fracture/Break) You can (not) advance will be shown.

The DVD/Blu-Ray is potentially out on May 26th, so I dunno if that would be possible unless say Gainax/Khara themselves decide to show it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed at any rate.

Persona

The Hawaii Int'l Film Festival got rights to screen it late last year, so if someone goes through the right channels it may be possible to arrange a screening.

Quote from: Sailor Star Dust on January 01, 2010, 01:49:01 PM
Hope this is the right thread, but I seriously hope a fansub OR raw version (I've seen a camrip of both) of Evangelion 2.0 (Ha: Fracture/Break) You can (not) advance will be shown.

The DVD/Blu-Ray is potentially out on May 26th, so I dunno if that would be possible unless say Gainax/Khara themselves decide to show it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed at any rate.

heeroyuy135

failure

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on November 01, 2009, 02:36:50 PM
Quote from: Rodney_Pheonix on October 28, 2009, 11:01:37 PM
Rashamon (Which is a very good B/W film if I do say so myself)
Rashomon!! I love that movie. *o*

I agree with more "classic" Japanese cinema... I believe that most of the live-action films have been newer? If people are really interested in Japanese culture and media (especially film media, like live-action film and anime), then they should have the opportunity to see some classics as well as newer films. I would love to see some Kurosawa sprinkled throughout the live action schedule, at the very least. :D

While I adore a lot of Kurosawa films, the Asian film rooms have traditionally shown more accessible movies to shed light on asian (not strictly japanese) cinema in general.  That's why you'll note that the majority of films that have huge turnouts are either Anime live-actions or films that already have hype around them.  (Ie. Shaolin Soccer and Death Note)  Bran and I have had very little luck with the more artsy or serious films for that matter.  The problems of them being less accessibly aside, we can't show them anyways.  We have had zero luck getting any permission to show movies outside of companies who actually come to Fanime, below is a short list of examples of companies we'd have to contact for permission or risk being sued (since Fanime isn't a .org anymore). 

Dreams: Warner Bros.
Ran: Rialto Pictures, Studio Canal, Criterion
Seven Samurai: Columbia Pictures

We tried contacting Sony Classic Pictures once (Sony's arthouse label) regarding showing 2046.  Their reply was we could play it if we paid them 1500$.  That's for a movie that grossed $1.4m in theaters in the US, which would have gotten it some free publicity, and possibly some DVD sales.  Needless to say, Bran and I got a good laugh at the concept of asking for $1500 from Fanime to show 1 movie.  Other companies just don't bother responding at all. 

This year is going to be a royal pain since licensing asian films has become the thing to do so they can be converted into terrible American remakes (see: My Sassy Girl).  It will have new films, when possible, but will also include some throwback classics. 
head of the now spatially efficient asian films.

Persona

A good way to start with the less-accessible films, which have the added bonuses of not being licensed and of wanting/needing some press, would be to crawl through recent foreign -- especially Asian/Asian-American -- film festival websites and contacting the director and their company directly. The only downside I can foresee to this is an overwhelming indie response with little-to-no commercial/big budget interest. Still, it's not very work intensive and it might yield some good surprises, so it's worth a shot. My two cents.

Quote from: failure on January 17, 2010, 12:56:19 AM
Quote from: Nina Star 9 on November 01, 2009, 02:36:50 PM
Quote from: Rodney_Pheonix on October 28, 2009, 11:01:37 PM
Rashamon (Which is a very good B/W film if I do say so myself)
Rashomon!! I love that movie. *o*

I agree with more "classic" Japanese cinema... I believe that most of the live-action films have been newer? If people are really interested in Japanese culture and media (especially film media, like live-action film and anime), then they should have the opportunity to see some classics as well as newer films. I would love to see some Kurosawa sprinkled throughout the live action schedule, at the very least. :D

While I adore a lot of Kurosawa films, the Asian film rooms have traditionally shown more accessible movies to shed light on asian (not strictly japanese) cinema in general.  That's why you'll note that the majority of films that have huge turnouts are either Anime live-actions or films that already have hype around them.  (Ie. Shaolin Soccer and Death Note)  Bran and I have had very little luck with the more artsy or serious films for that matter.  The problems of them being less accessibly aside, we can't show them anyways.  We have had zero luck getting any permission to show movies outside of companies who actually come to Fanime, below is a short list of examples of companies we'd have to contact for permission or risk being sued (since Fanime isn't a .org anymore). 

Dreams: Warner Bros.
Ran: Rialto Pictures, Studio Canal, Criterion
Seven Samurai: Columbia Pictures

We tried contacting Sony Classic Pictures once (Sony's arthouse label) regarding showing 2046.  Their reply was we could play it if we paid them 1500$.  That's for a movie that grossed $1.4m in theaters in the US, which would have gotten it some free publicity, and possibly some DVD sales.  Needless to say, Bran and I got a good laugh at the concept of asking for $1500 from Fanime to show 1 movie.  Other companies just don't bother responding at all. 

This year is going to be a royal pain since licensing asian films has become the thing to do so they can be converted into terrible American remakes (see: My Sassy Girl).  It will have new films, when possible, but will also include some throwback classics. 

llaaannniiii

i would looveee to watch gundam wing or endless waltz!  ;D

God91125

LAGANN-HEN seriously epic movie would be awesome to see it at the con with tons of peeps

Avairrianna

Possibly Soul Eater as a Marathon for the anime marathon room?
Cosplays in work:
?

Gatherings in charge of in 2017:
Steven Universe

LimeLina

Quote from: llaaannniiii on February 04, 2010, 06:29:05 PM
i would looveee to watch gundam wing or endless waltz!  ;D

Thank you! I never get tired of endless waltz  ;D It would be frickin' awesome if you guys show the new MS Gundam UC!  :D

the otaku god

if its out we can. i plan on showing igloo 2. i thought it was a pretty good gundam ser for only being 3 eps.
is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? is it like the hand of god hovering above? at least it is true that man has no control, even over his own destiny.

LordKefka

FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

TheMaKaKi

Please show a marathon of Dance in the Vampire Bund!!! My only dearest request Lol.  ;D

-Asura
donnaATfanime.com
speeddatingATfanime.com

2016, 2015, 2014: Speed Dating Head
2013: Speed Dating Co-Head
2012 : Speed Dating Second
2002 'till Present : Fan Attendee <33

heeroyuy135

Freeden

Quote from: HeeroYuy135 on March 23, 2010, 10:36:57 PM
Durarara!!

Hopefully this is will be shown in the Fansub showcasings. It's such an excellent series.

I would also highly recommend:

Michiko to Hatchin and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, as both are probably two of the best series I've seen in the last couple years. Oh, and I can't forget Eden of the East. The Eden of the East movies would be awesome to see too if they're available.

Tsuchimi Rin-chan

I have some suggestions for the Video Programming Staff to show at Fanime 2010. 

Here are some Fansub Suggestions for the 2009-2010 Season.

K-ON! Season 1 Eps 1-14 with all the Blu Ray Bonuses if Possible.
Hanamaru Youchien by Gainax if Yamaga San does not mind if we can show all of them.  Great Fansub for cuteness, PG-13 due to some dialog not suitable for children.
Saki Anime for People that enjoy their Moe and Mahjong.
Kampfer for the late night showing.
Kobato due to the fact its CLAMP's latest new Anime
Sora no Woto aka K-ON at War ^_^ LOL
K-ON Second Season if possible
To Aru Kagaku no Railgun due to the fact its one of the most popular anime out now.
Ranma 1/2 OVA that is out in Japan right now celebrating 50 years of Shonen Sunday
Sora no Otoshimono for the late night programing
Seitokai no Ichizon
Princess Lover for late night programming
Kimi ni Todoke for the Shojo Fan
Yumeiro Patissiere for the Kids
Ladies vs Butlers for late night programming
Working!!
Angel Beats!
Kaichou wa Maid-sama
Arakawa Under The Bridge
Kiss Sis TV series for late night programming
Omamori Himari for late night programming
Chu Bra for late night programming
Hatsukoi Limited for late night programming

I know its a very long list since no one is suggesting last years and current fansubs for the Spring Season but please put as many of these in the video schedule especially season one and two of K-ON! and To Aru Kagaku no Railgun.

If its possible can you get Funimation's permission to have a special screening of Baka Test to Shoukanju if possible.

Thanks for considering these long suggestions of this years Fanime 2010 Fansub suggestions.

Jason Nagal Estioko
Fanime Con Attendee from 1998 to current 2011. (12 years and counting!) Fanime Con 2006 E-Gaming Department Staffer
Animation on Display (San Francisco's Animation Convention) Video Game Staffer since 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011.

N.E.R.V.agent220

Quote from: TheMaKaKi on March 22, 2010, 10:40:56 AM
Please show a marathon of Dance in the Vampire Bund!!! My only dearest request Lol.  ;D

-Asura
Oh Yeah Mina Tepes.  ;)

gwhsanimeclub

Suggestions for the thing right? How about Nabari no Ou, Tactics, Rozen Maiden, Haibane Renmei, Gunslinger Girl, Jigoku Shojo

Sailor Star Dust

Still no sign of the Evangelion 2.22 DVD/BD (or the theater version, 2.0) going to play (Yes, the DVD/BD release date is May 26th in Japan) though that one 2.0 booklet image is still up on the video section of the main page....

Should I be concerned at all, or...?