Worst Anime Endings (contains lots of spoilers)

Started by AgehaMist, October 24, 2009, 05:28:02 PM

RaddaX2

I dunno about you guys but I liked the ending of Berserk alot.  Maybe it's because I read the manga afterwards but the slight deviations made in the anime did nothing to take away from the story.  If anything the lack of guts rape and goat head orgy (only 2 differences I can remember so far) let you focus more on what's important during the Golden Age Arc which would be the tale of the Band of the Hawks.

The ending was POWERFUL.  If you're Guts there is no resolution.  Your crippled best friend/idol trades your comrades souls in a selfish trade for power, turns into an Apostle, and rapes your girlfriend into amnesia.  You lose an arm.  You don't win. THE END.  Were you expecting any better?  You were born from a hung corpse and in the manga your dad sold your anus.  If you're Guts LIFE IS NEVER GOOD.  That is by far the darkest ending I'll probably ever see from any story.

Anyways.  Yea Soul Eaters ending sucked.  And if you consider this the ending to the original FMA anime I'd have to say  Fullmetal Alchemist: The Conqueror of Shambala could've been better.  I haven't watched it in a while but I remember being disappointed when I finished it.  I'm sure there are some who would agree.
It ain't the meaning of life but the feeling of it.

KumaKaori

AIR, anyone? I still swear by the fact it was a horrible ending, because it DID. NOT. END. Although, having watched more of Key's works, I should watch it again and see if I feel any differently about it nowadays.

FMA did have a really bad ending... the movie's ending was still bad for Winry related reasons.
Fortunately, Brotherhood is out and is righting all sorts of wrongs.

(oh hey, it's TC of DnDog. *waves* 'tis Kuma.(' w ')ノシ)
〜〜オレンジ 今日も/食べてみたけど/まだすっぱくて 泣いた/私みたいで残せないから/ぜんぶ食べた〜〜 *bzzt* I'm sorry the Kuma is lost to the anime music, leave a message.

~Kuma

PrincessPolka

Quote from: questionette on January 21, 2010, 07:48:44 PM
SCHOOL DAYS....some of you may disagree, simply because it wasn't a horrible ending thematically...but WTF?! I'm STILL scarred from that ending!

Hahah!! I was waiting for someone to mention School Days, I thought the ending was fun, actually. But still, that anime got weirder and weirder as the episodes continued, and then BAM! Someone lost a head.

blackyggdrasil

Needless's ending, made me wanna stop watching the anime but i didn't

Barnes

Quote from: blackyggdrasil on February 28, 2010, 05:29:01 PM
Needless's ending, made me wanna stop watching the anime but i didn't

I've seen worse filler endings. But there's always the manga to read.
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

mDuo13

Oh man. Anime is full of bad endings. If it's not a filler series where they only advance the story in the first 2 and last 2 eps (see Onegai Twins, Ai Yori Aoshi, and a million other series), then it's probably a rushed ending that doesn't make any sense because the manga it was based on wasn't over when they made it (See Pandora Hearts, Hellsing TV, BECK - mongolian chop squad). Or maybe they don't even try to end it, because there's a chance for another season (Kaiji, Saki, Spice and Wolf).

Sometimes they don't even have a good excuse. Studio BONES is the master of this one. I like a lot of their work, but man, they make disappointing endings. Scrapped Princess's ending was almost acceptable, Darker Than Black's first season ending was pretty unsatisfying, Xam'd: Lost Memories was doing great and then it fell apart in the last few episodes... I have to say, though, Darker Than Black: Ryuusei no Gemini takes the cake. Not only does the ending not resolve any of the outstanding questions of the first season, nor most of the core questions of the second season, the last episode introduces even MORE questions that don't get answered. Although, contrary to a previous poster, I think Fullmetal Alchemist (disregarding the movie) had a really solid ending -- sort of enjoyably open-ended and hopeful.

A few bonus bad-ending cases, for the heck of it:
Tytania - The entire story feels like the prologue to a greater epic that doesn't exist. Apparently the source novels are like that, too.
.hack//Roots - Not only does it not resolve anything (at least .hack//SIGN's ending wrapped up one of the series' central conflicts), the last episode of Roots is confusing, spends a lot of time an awkward and out-of-place cameo, is poorly-directed (the ragtime-ish music over the serious scenes doesn't fit in the least), and it makes you feel like the undid all the progress made in the series. (I actually think that watching Roots does provide some good context for playing .hack//G.U. but even that is debatable.)
Akagi - One of the worst offenders I know in the abrupt manga-isn't-over non-ending category. Right after potentially the most crucial turning point in a mahjong game where lives are on the line... the narrator goes, "Their battle is not over!" and then it shows a brief clip from 34 years later with someone who might be Akagi walking down the street (implying that he survived but not explaining how).
Kashimashi ~Girl Meets Girl~ - The main character spends several episodes deliberating and learning that s/he can't have both and needs to pick a girl, finally decides, and then AFTER THE CREDITS in an unvoiced sequence they hint that s/he changed his/her mind. The series tries to have it both ways, so viewers can interpret it whichever way they want it to be. Talk about hypocritical!
Simoun - The ending to this series was just all over the place. It felt sort of open-ended but sort of composed, it almost answered some major questions but didn't really... some characters got depressing endings, some got hopeful ones... There was no decipherable message, feel, or theme to the ending as a whole.
Mnemosyne - I would've been satisfied with this series if the last episode did one, single, obvious thing: "Mimi... omizu choudai." It didn't. Instead we got some convoluted, cheesy, mood-killer ending. Good grief.
Tsubasa Chronicle TV Season 2 - As if the manga weren't dragging on enough, the TV had to make up a brainless filler arc where they obtained more feathers than in the rest of the series-thus-far combined, and then it had the gall to say that everything up to this point was only a fraction of the feathers out there. The show was thereafter canceled and rightly so.
Shangri-La - The entire series was awful from start to finish. 'nuff said.

I could go on forever at this stuff but I'll call it a day there. *phew* Ranting like that felt kinda good.

Death_Note_Matt

Quote from: DentyneIce408 on October 24, 2009, 11:40:46 PM
Berserk didn't really have a bad ending, but just disappointing that they didn't follow the manga.

Ninja Resurrection, not exactly worst, but I do wish they continued it.

Gantz, now this anime has the worst ending I ever watched. What were they thinking?

Holy Snap! D: I wanted more of that anime too ;_; it only lasted two ep on the DVD Dx
I was like "OMG what is going to happen next..I wonder what Shiro is going to do next now that he is reborn." Then nothing happenened...and all he did was just killed a but load of people and that was it... -__-;
Another Player has Entered the Game

TheMaKaKi

Worst endings to me are just plain ol' bad endings and animes that discontinue and end like halfway of the manga series!!!

• Claymore- I loved this manga so I watched the anime...Just to only see some episodes about the first half of Claymore! Why not CONTINUE the Anime!?
  • Escaflowne- I only say it's bad because Hitomi and Van did not get to be together. Period.  :(
  • Ouran High School Host Club- The ending was fine...if that was the REAL ENDING! This manga/anime is popular, that it puzzles me why a 2nd season is not made yet. Sigh. The manga is so much more deeper.
  • Princess Lover- He finds out who killed his parents and he just forgives the killer like he's some saint? So fake! And he doesn't officially end up with anyo of the girls. 12 episodes wasted :(
  • The Twelve Kingdoms/Saiunkoku Monogatari- I only listed these two because they were so great! But the ending of 12 Kingdoms just stopped at a random story discontinuing the main character's journey. Saiunkoku's ending was fine, but I wanted to see more of what the main girl would do and if she'd end up with the emperor. Good ending, sad to see it stop.
donnaATfanime.com
speeddatingATfanime.com

2016, 2015, 2014: Speed Dating Head
2013: Speed Dating Co-Head
2012 : Speed Dating Second
2002 'till Present : Fan Attendee <33

ELDEMONIO

Quote from: TheMaKaKi on March 19, 2010, 02:55:29 AM

• Escaflowne- I only say it's bad because Hitomi and Van did not get to be together. Period.  :(

As much as I LOVE Escaflowne and would never say anything negative about it..........I sadly agree.>.> Hitomi and Van could of at least kissed and have a kid and probably have Hitomi raise that kid on earth at least.>.>

TheMaKaKi

Quote from: DarkShinigamiX3 on March 19, 2010, 01:38:49 PM
Quote from: TheMaKaKi on March 19, 2010, 02:55:29 AM

• Escaflowne- I only say it's bad because Hitomi and Van did not get to be together. Period.  :(

As much as I LOVE Escaflowne and would never say anything negative about it..........I sadly agree.>.> Hitomi and Van could of at least kissed and have a kid and probably have Hitomi raise that kid on earth at least.>.>

I love Escaflowne too. I have the whole series on VHS o_o That's how old my love is, haha. Yeah, they didn't even kiss :(! If I was her, I would've stayed on Gaia and become Queen of Fanelia. Why would any reasonable girl go back to Earth?! T_T...*Lurks into Escaflowne fanfiction for comfort*
donnaATfanime.com
speeddatingATfanime.com

2016, 2015, 2014: Speed Dating Head
2013: Speed Dating Co-Head
2012 : Speed Dating Second
2002 'till Present : Fan Attendee <33

ultrazyn

death note .... weak, i thought it would be more epic

tenjou tenge : i saw this a long time ago but i remembered the ending was disappointing

AthenaAngie

I agree with Soul Eater..rofl..It was seriously a wtfux moment. Everything was all climactic and awesome, but the courage stuffs was the only thing that defeated the main evil dude? It became kinda cheesy..and I was sooo expecting more! D:<

Same with Full Metal Alchemist, the movie one that was gonna be it's conclusion. But farks it made me want so much more too x_x

Aaaand yesh! I have to agree with Ouran High too D:< More OURAN plox~

Jin-Chi-Chan

Death Note and Soul Eater, absolutely...Fullmetal Alchemist anime ( not brotherhood) was kinda lame.

LastExile

The Soul Eater and Fullmetal Alchemist were definitely a couple of the worst for me...
I mean, I was expecting the movie to make the ending epic, but instead after watching it I just had an overflowing pity for Winry and a question as to what the hell the two brothers would do once WW11 came along.
But anyway.
The other anime ending that I totally agree was bad was Ouran High, though my main reason is the entire sequence when Tamaki and Haruhi were falling from the bridge.
They built it up, made it super climatic, Tamaki's looking at Haruhi, he gets close to her face, and.....
They hug.
I was waiting for them to kiss, to seal the deal, but no. No, they hug. For some reason this bothered me immensely, particularly since they haven't made a second season, which would make the hug forgivable due to the developing relationships and drama about to come. But they haven't, so the hug was totally irrelevant.

jackiemarie90

Code Geass, when I watched that I couldn't help but think, "wow that's alot of bullsh-" :| ha ha
You haven't idealized mankind, you have deformed it, and that's the real practical joke.

stellamoor

Hmmm, I guess I'd say Witch Hunter Robin for the inconclusiveness of it.  It was frustrating.  And OMG, yes, as much as I love Escaflowne, the ending really tore at me.

Tsu

I totally agree about WHR. Leaving you wondering is one thing, but I hated the suggested introduction of the "new" hunter (WHO LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE ROBIN AND JUST RECYCLED ANIMATION). Wtf?

The ending of Blood+ bummed me out.  You know the story continues, but without a new threat (and any "new threat" would probably feel like rehash), there's no reason for the series to continue, so a lot of storylines are left untouched.  It's a little dissatisfying.

Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Second 2016-17
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Head 2014-15, 2018-2019

PrincessPolka

Quote from: JohnnyAR on October 25, 2009, 01:44:16 PM
End of Evangelion...

WHAT?! End of Eva was EPIC! Ayanami turned into a crazy angel and turned everyone on Earth into orange goo! There is no better ending to a series! I feel sick!

psycrop

claymore, death note, school days, kaigi (ANDUUUUUUUUUUUUUU), and probably clannad -after story-

ShadowKnight508

The ending episode of Kampfer (and the two terrible specials that followed after it) were just full of fail...I won't ruin the ending or the specials for those who have not watched the anime, but for those who read the manga, they will understand what I mean.

Only those who can appreciate a overdose of Fanservice and Ecchi/Harem moments with some action and minor suspense moments should attempt watching this show. ;D
Currently doing massive wiki edits on AnimeVice. Will be doing cosplay photos at FanimeCon for AnimeVice's site. T-minus 3 days to FanimeCon!

Planned Cons: FanimeCon 2011, KinToki-Con 2011, SACAnime 2011
http://shadowknight508.deviantart.com/gallery