Info on the hotels: Hilton, Mariott, Crowne, Fairmont, St. Claire

Started by TC X0 Lt 0X, October 27, 2009, 12:32:42 PM

Knightfire

Quote from: Moonblossom on January 16, 2010, 08:23:11 AM

do these include HDMI? Or is it just RCA/Coax/whatever? My laptop only has an HDMI out and being able to watch movies on the tv would be amazing.

They have a side panel that's implemented on the dresser where the TV is placed on. There are two additional power outlets and a set of hook ups. One for composite(the red/yellow/white cables) and one for HDMI.

Quote from: Moonblossom on January 16, 2010, 08:23:11 AM

Also, how big are the bathtubs? The hotel I was originally looking at had these amazing two-person jacuzzi tubs in each room, but it's a mile away. I'm not expecting anything that nice, obviously, but I am about six feet tall and the reason I chose the Hilton rather than the other place is that my health problems are getting worse, and I'd love to be able to soak at the end of the day without having my knees around my ears.

Kinda small length wise. I'm 5' 9" and I had to bend my knees to fit in.
Starting work for Fanime 2011

Moonblossom

Sweet, thanks. Happy to hear about the HDMI, not so happy about the tubs. I'm just over 5'10", my roomie's over six feet. Bleah.

We'll soak in the hot tub I guess.

failure

Thought I'd add my exp from last year at the Fairmont.

The room was nice and spacious, room service is respectful of belonging placement, so you won't come back to a completely reorganized room.  The bathrooms are large, though they had a problem that the floor ends up a huge puddle when you take a shower.  The walk to the Fairmont was the dealbreaker for me, I'd go back if it weren't for it.  It may only be 2 blocks, but when you add in all the time and walking you do at the con, it really is a bit much.  Though admittedly being staff I'm on my feet for the majority of Thursday-Monday, so that may add to it.  Aside from the walk, though it's nice having the hotel locked to people w/o keycards, there's no problems with the elevators and the overall hotel is very quiet.
head of the now spatially efficient asian films.

crystalsoul

Well since i been to the convention center 3 times in the last 2 weeks i finally got all ym questions answered and seens the marriot rooms as well...took me 3 times to get into one X_X

HILTON
*Parking is $19 A NIGHT
*Rooms that connect are a Double Bed room and a King bed room ONLY. meaning there are no double bed rooms that connect(Same in Marriot)
*All rooms come with refrigerators
*Slightly bigger room, slightly smaller bathroom

MARRIOT
*Parking is $15 for however long you stay. so if your at marriot all weekend, means you only pay $15!!! (employee told me that today)
*Rooms that connect are a Double Bed room and a King bed room ONLY. meaning there are no double bed rooms that connect (Same in hilton)
*You must request a refridgerator and it will cost about $10-$15 a night for one.....
*Bathroom doors have no locks and are SLIDING DOORS. they arent cheap looking doors tho, they are big and made of wood.
*Slightly smaller bedroom but Bigger bathroom.

Extra
*i think marriot serves breakfast snacks. i think i saw that on their page
*im not certain if Marriot has A/C, i didnt notice one when i went in the room.

leslie

No matter what I guess parking is going to be a pain since you have to pay for either self parking or valet right??
Or maybe I missed something about a discount for parking somewhere, anywhere?!? *fingers crossed* Lol :D
"Vodka means water in Russian, you know."

leslie

Hi all,
Ok so I've heard a ton of information both good and bad about the Hilton and Marriott, but can someone tell me some more info whether it is good or bad about the St. Claire??? This is my first fanime con and I booked a room at the St. Claire based on price since well the economy pretty much sucks! So if anyone could give me some more info on the St. Claire I would be very grateful and possibly what my hotel experience is going to be like considering the St. Claire is almost sold out! Yee, I'm so excited and nervous at the same time!! :D

Thanks for takin a look,
leslie

CaptainYossarian

Quote from: Yuki Valentine on December 15, 2009, 05:44:57 PM
I've stayed in the Marriott for the past two years I've been going there, but I'm staying in the Fairmont next year, cause it's my favorite!  XDD  (Live music until 1:00 AM and everything!)

Funny, I always thought I was the only one from the Con who went to the music at the Farimont. Man, they had a hoppin' band last year Friday Night--I hope they come back.
"Did I know Szat would betray us?" Urza asked quizzically. "I was counting on it"

Gwydion

Quote from: leslie on February 01, 2010, 09:07:42 PM
Hi all,
Ok so I've heard a ton of information both good and bad about the Hilton and Marriott, but can someone tell me some more info whether it is good or bad about the St. Claire??? This is my first fanime con and I booked a room at the St. Claire based on price since well the economy pretty much sucks! So if anyone could give me some more info on the St. Claire I would be very grateful and possibly what my hotel experience is going to be like considering the St. Claire is almost sold out! Yee, I'm so excited and nervous at the same time!! :D

Thanks for takin a look,
leslie

I actually like the Sainte Claire over all the hotels (though I've never done Fairmont as it's too far away). It's quieter, the elevators don't break down halfway through Con, and the rooms are nice. Last year I had a room overlooking the front of the building which is fun to watch people wander back and forth from the Con Center. The staff is always friendly too. I would have gone there this year, but couldn't get a room with the dates I wanted.

The only problem with it is that there's no self-parking, and god knows where the valet goes to. Valet's more expensive as well so I always just parked in the Con Center and walked over. Not that far.

leslie

Quote from: Gwydion on February 02, 2010, 03:08:09 PM
I actually like the Sainte Claire over all the hotels (though I've never done Fairmont as it's too far away). It's quieter, the elevators don't break down halfway through Con, and the rooms are nice. Last year I had a room overlooking the front of the building which is fun to watch people wander back and forth from the Con Center. The staff is always friendly too. I would have gone there this year, but couldn't get a room with the dates I wanted.

The only problem with it is that there's no self-parking, and god knows where the valet goes to. Valet's more expensive as well so I always just parked in the Con Center and walked over. Not that far.

Thanks so much for the info., majority of everything I have read is about the Hilton or Marriott...
I'm happy that it will be a little bit quieter in the St, Claire because this is my first con so maybe starting off slow is good, lol.
The elevator situations at the St. Claire sounds like it will be better too, I really don't want to ride the elevator to every floor because someone pressed all the buttons.
;D I'm so excited for fanime, I can't wait...even though it is a ways away.

TC X0 Lt 0X

I see the Title has been edited...

If anyone wishes, feel free to compile all the Advantages/disadvantages of the hotels and put them in a orderly fashion and I'll Paste them into the first post.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

kamisamabunny

stayed in the sainte claire, thought it was pretty, the bed was pretty spacious (fit 3 people sleeping comfortably) (got a king btw)
they do rollaway bed, and they have a fridge
the bath tub was lovely..

hilton's swimming pool is on the 3rd floor, but it's on a balcony (someone took a pic of us from above .. kinda akward. although i'd like to see that pic)
honestly i wasn't impressed with what i saw of the hilton
All I want is "you", whoever you turn out to be <3

leslie

Quote from: kamisamabunny on February 07, 2010, 01:30:12 PM
stayed in the sainte claire, thought it was pretty, the bed was pretty spacious (fit 3 people sleeping comfortably) (got a king btw)
they do rollaway bed, and they have a fridge
the bath tub was lovely..

hilton's swimming pool is on the 3rd floor, but it's on a balcony (someone took a pic of us from above .. kinda akward. although i'd like to see that pic)
honestly i wasn't impressed with what i saw of the hilton

I didn't know that the St. Claire had a fridge, definitely a plus! Oh and I'm glad to hear 3 ppl can fit into the king comfortably since I wasn't able to get a 2 bedded room. Thanks for the info!

kyochan

I can vouch for the St. Claire. I've stayed here once before, and I loved it. Going to stay here again. Other than the pluses already mentioned previously, I also wanted to note that wireless internet is complementary (free ^_^vvv). But I do enjoy the empty elevators as well. I second the Marriott elevators... I think the take off and stopping motions feel like a rocket flight @[email protected]_x...
Mah dead branches will pwn joo! >=D<br /> - Kyochan

leslie

Quote from: kyochan on February 07, 2010, 04:46:09 PM
I can vouch for the St. Claire. I've stayed here once before, and I loved it. Going to stay here again. Other than the pluses already mentioned previously, I also wanted to note that wireless internet is complementary (free ^_^vvv). But I do enjoy the empty elevators as well. I second the Marriott elevators... I think the take off and stopping motions feel like a rocket flight @[email protected]_x...

Maybe I'm glad I didn't book a room at the Marriott espcially if the elevator ride is like a ride in itself, lol.

Touya no Miko

I stayed at the Hilton last year. Since the hotel connects to the con, I can easily go to my room and switch costumes. The beds are really big and they have a lot of extra pillows. Though they do charge you for wireless internet and a roll out bed.
OMG! What the Fugnuggets is going on?!

Beastcub

i have a room booked in 2 hotels and i need to make up my mind so i can let one of them go and give some one else a chance to have it. i booked the mariot first because 80% why i am going is to cosplay and i was told it was best for cosplayers BUT then i learned it was not pet friendly so i nabbed one at the Hilton. the fridge at the hilton alone is enough to tempt me to stay and part of the other 20% of going to fanime is to shop and it is close to the dealers. (as for the dog she is technically a service dog so we can stay at the mariot, i just preferr pet friendly hotels since we will be leaving her in the room for a while)

but i wonder, just how much more inconvient is it to be in the hilton when it comes to showing off ones cosplay? some one told me everyone seems to gather between the 2 hotels anyway so there is not much difference between then 2 hotels. our costumes are very big and very hot so the less walking there is to do the better...

BrightHeart76

I stay at the Hilton, and I cosplay.  I've never had any problems.  Infact most years the staff will ask me about my cosplays when I check in (I usually have my luggage with me...it's hard to ignore a woman carrying a styrofoam head under her arm).  :)  The distance really isn't much further from the center of the convention (a few yards really) and there is a lot going on on both sides.  Most of the Gatherings for cosplay happen at the fountains out front, it is right out side of the Marriot.  In that case the Marriot is closer.  However, it's really not a long way from the Hilton either.
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

LaughLikeMad

Does anyone know if the Marriott has microwaves/coffee makers in the rooms? My roommates and I are planning on bringing some food to save on money.

iNSOMNiAC

Quote from: LaughLikeMad on March 01, 2010, 07:13:40 PM
Does anyone know if the Marriott has microwaves/coffee makers in the rooms? My roommates and I are planning on bringing some food to save on money.

Unless they changed something, the Marriott has a coffee maker but no microwave.

michiko nakano

Quote from: LaughLikeMad on March 01, 2010, 07:13:40 PM
there is a coffee pot in each room at the marriott.  they give you two coffees and two tea bags every day, which is nice.  i'm saving a tea bag from last year, for a fanime-pick-me-up next time i get sad or lonely :3      <--- such a fanime lover!!

anyways, there are no microwaves in the marriott.  i heard that some people just bring their own microwaves, which i find to be an excellent idea.  you can get it to your room easily using a bellhop and a cart, and it increases your food options dramatically, plus it only requires an electric plug in the wall, which there are many of in the rooms.  best of luck!