Money spent on items

Started by orangepopper, November 19, 2009, 07:18:25 PM

otakuapprentice

Quote from: Tony on May 21, 2010, 12:30:20 PM
I'll be bringing about $10,000. Just for food.
So, we make the drop-off at midnight? Good. *evil laugh*
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

LordMoufMouf

I usually spend about $50-$80 at the Dealer's Room. Why so little? I make regular trips to San Francisco's Japantown, where they have almost everything I could ever want. Plus, I tend to not buy very much in life anyway. Do I really need this item? Can I live without it?

frumpy

Quote from: LordMoufMouf on May 22, 2010, 10:44:23 PM
I usually spend about $50-$80 at the Dealer's Room. Why so little? I make regular trips to San Francisco's Japantown, where they have almost everything I could ever want. Plus, I tend to not buy very much in life anyway. Do I really need this item? Can I live without it?

*jedi mind trick*
YES, YOU REALLY NEED THESE ITEMS AND YOU CAN'T LIVE W/O IT. YOU NEED TO SPEND ALL YOUR MONEY IN DEALERS TO MAKE THEM HAPPY!
*waves hand*
Camilla Wong
Dealers Dept '07-'12, 2014-current
Charity Auction '04, '09-'12
Video Programming '00-'04
Gopher Volunteer '98-'99

mariotheotaku

hmm, this will be first time attending Fanime and the dealer's hall, I will be bringing about $600 for food and merch items for the swap and dealer's hall. Any tips that you may have for a newbie who is prone to become a shopaholic? (especially with the Bleach stuff, god I love Bleach merch, lol)

Tsuchimi Rin-chan

Quote from: mariotheotaku on May 23, 2010, 02:39:22 AM
hmm, this will be first time attending Fanime and the dealer's hall, I will be bringing about $600 for food and merch items for the swap and dealer's hall. Any tips that you may have for a newbie who is prone to become a shopaholic? (especially with the Bleach stuff, god I love Bleach merch, lol)

Check out the Thursday Day Zero Swap Meet if you can go and the Friday Day one Swap meets.  Both are scheduled for 8pm to 1am.  You can find budget priced, mint conditioned and rare stuff that you cannot find in the dealers room, especially if you are the type looking for the latest anime imported merchandise from Japan.  Also found domestic out of print stuff there like the 1st print of the Kodocha box set for 20 bucks factory sealed for example.  Please do not fall for impulse buying when you are at the dealers room.  Go for the rare hard to find stuff on the first two days of the dealers room then the easy to find stuff on the last two days.  On the last day of the dealers room, two to three hours before it shuts down for good, some dealers will lower their prices to clear out some leftovers and you can bargain with some.

Again rare stuff first then easy to find stuff last.  This is a tip I give to anime convention shoppers.  Good luck at Fanime and manage your hard earned money wisely.  This is coming from a soon to be 11th year Fanime con Attendee Veteran.  Hope this helps.
Jason Nagal Estioko
Fanime Con Attendee from 1998 to current 2011. (12 years and counting!) Fanime Con 2006 E-Gaming Department Staffer
Animation on Display (San Francisco's Animation Convention) Video Game Staffer since 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011.

LordKefka

Oh when swap meet starts, we are no longer friends Jason! We will be at WAR! Wahahah!.. :3
FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

Tsuchimi Rin-chan

I see what you did there Lord Kefka.  I guess I will make sure you do not make it to your next Fanime Con LOL.
Jason Nagal Estioko
Fanime Con Attendee from 1998 to current 2011. (12 years and counting!) Fanime Con 2006 E-Gaming Department Staffer
Animation on Display (San Francisco's Animation Convention) Video Game Staffer since 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011.

TC X0 Lt 0X

Tip:
cover his door and windows in cement and cut off any connection to the outside. Make sure he lacks a cell phone. Then Victory will be yours.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

mariotheotaku

Quote from: Tsuchimi Rin-chan on May 23, 2010, 06:26:25 AM
Quote from: mariotheotaku on May 23, 2010, 02:39:22 AM

Check out the Thursday Day Zero Swap Meet if you can go and the Friday Day one Swap meets.  Both are scheduled for 8pm to 1am.  You can find budget priced, mint conditioned and rare stuff that you cannot find in the dealers room, especially if you are the type looking for the latest anime imported merchandise from Japan.  Also found domestic out of print stuff there like the 1st print of the Kodocha box set for 20 bucks factory sealed for example.  Please do not fall for impulse buying when you are at the dealers room.  Go for the rare hard to find stuff on the first two days of the dealers room then the easy to find stuff on the last two days.  On the last day of the dealers room, two to three hours before it shuts down for good, some dealers will lower their prices to clear out some leftovers and you can bargain with some.

Again rare stuff first then easy to find stuff last.  This is a tip I give to anime convention shoppers.  Good luck at Fanime and manage your hard earned money wisely.  This is coming from a soon to be 11th year Fanime con Attendee Veteran.  Hope this helps.

Thank you, those are good tips, especially the one about finding rare stuff first, didn't thought about that.

bossyman15

i'm cheap.

MAX $100

for food, swap meet, and dealer room.

i will be bringing bunch of snacks to reduce my food expense. Will hit swap meet on tomorrow first before dealer room on friday.
My picture gallery<br />http://www.bossyman15.com/

Rcsi1

The most I've ever spent at the dealers' room was $40. I can't afford to spend much more than that but if you have the means, it might be better to bring more money. It depends on what you want to buy and what your priorities are.
PASTAAAAAAAAAAA!

Cosplay plans for Fanime:

Character CD!France (Axis Powers Hetalia)
Military!Canada (Axis Powers Hetalia)
Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji)

Poof-Aro

I'm hoping to only spend about $100-200. I think I've bout everything that I want from fanime. O.O I just want a few boxsets, posters/scrolls, maybe a bag, and art. And a character sword to add to my collection. ^^
Fanime 2014 Cosplays:
Vaporeon
The Black and Silver Steampunk

My Cosplay Page

SOawesomeness

I usually only want to buy Totoro stuff and max 2 plushies and other small things that catch my eye, so $100. Though this year it may be $150 because of a certain plushie-thing I may want to purchaseeee...  *_*
Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook

Rin_chan

Last year was my first fanime so I only spent about $100, this year I'm planning to bring about the same but hopefully more. I'm scouting prices out online for things I want as well to see which would be cheaper and making sure I don't get ripped off for something. I'm hoping to find some Yu Yu Hakusho merch this year, but I'm wondering if because the anime is from the 90's that merch might be harder to find? Or even more expensive?

Sometimes you can get really lucky though. Last year I got a Clannad figure half off cause the box was dented and a bit beat up, so I guess no major collectors wanted to buy them. I don't keep them in the boxes anyways, so it was no loss to me XD

LadyGlitterbow

I only spend maybe $100, but don't forget artist's alley! That place eats up a lot of my money because I think, "I may never find this any place else!" Of course I am always happy with my purchases!

AngrySean

I've found that if you wait until the last few hours on Monday, you can sometimes haggle down the price on certain goods by quite a bit. This works best if there are lots of other dealers with the same item.  If you can get two dealers to compete against each other for your business, you can save quite a bit.  Of course, some dealers will give you a really nasty glare when you try to haggle but don't let that discourage you from trying again at a different booth.

Also, I'm shocked how many people seem to only bring $100 spending cash to the con.  Of course, that's probably because I approach conventions with a "go big or go home" kind of attitude that seems to lend itself well to spending more cash than I should in the dealer's hall.

frumpy

Speaking from my experience as a con dealer for the last 10 years (WonderCon & SDCC):

Here are general rules of haggling:

-Don't low-ball. That's the fastest way of offending the dealer & you're guaranteed a nasty glare. If item is marked at $50 and you try to offer $25, that's low-balling. Instead, try to offer something the dealer can meet in the middle. Start w/ $40 and see if dealer is willing to go for $45.

-Carry CASH. Dealers can work better discounts if cash is involved. Credit cards have a ridiculous surcharge fee & dealers don't want to get hit for every transaction. Ask the dealer if they're willing to offer a better price break if you pay in cash. Most of the time, they'll offer to waive the tax. (I think Santa Clara tax is now 9.5%? If item is $100 = approx $9.50 saved!)

-Don't get ass-hurt if dealers reject your offer. Some of those items may have been discounted & they're just trying to "break even". Asking them to sell for lower means they're losing money on the item in question.

-Last & not least: Be Polite. Don't be rude/demanding to the dealer if he/she is in the middle of conducting a transaction w/ another customer. You wait your turn like everyone else. If you rub the dealer the wrong way, they're less likely to sell you anything for a discount.

Hope this helps w/ everyone's bargain hunting!

Camilla Wong
Dealers Dept '07-'12, 2014-current
Charity Auction '04, '09-'12
Video Programming '00-'04
Gopher Volunteer '98-'99

Rhornez

Quote from: caskaslyrk on December 13, 2009, 01:55:10 AM
I usually take $500-$1,000, but this would also include my cost for the hotel.  I usually only spend about $300 in the dealers room.  Plus you have to think of Food...me personally I CANNOT live off instant ramen and pocky, but hey that is just me!  I would have heartburn for a year with all that sodium..LOL
and i thought i had a large amount :O usually i take 250 to fanime and im fine whoa

Been going to Fanime Since 2008

ShadowKnight508

Apart from the $300 my hotel will cost for 2 nights, I am taking roughly $150 to spend at FanimeCon or at locations nearby (I do not intend to purchase anything, but if I see something I like, I might get it).
Currently doing massive wiki edits on AnimeVice. Will be doing cosplay photos at FanimeCon for AnimeVice's site. T-minus 3 days to FanimeCon!

Planned Cons: FanimeCon 2011, KinToki-Con 2011, SACAnime 2011
http://shadowknight508.deviantart.com/gallery

RooBird

I almost always spend somewhere around 200 dollars. I usually try to bring somewhere around 250-300 dollars, though. Never hurt to have a little extra cash to splurge some more.  :D Any less than 200 I won't have enough money for everything I want.
Fanime 2013 Cosplays:
FemmeMedic (Team Fortress 2)