Fanime or Sac-Anime?

Started by SukebeStudios, December 06, 2009, 02:18:50 PM

SukebeStudios

This should be one for innocent debate. Which do you prefer, FanimeCON, Sac-Anime, or do you like them equally?

Having attended both conventions, I enjoy BOTH to the extreme. But I started to wonder to myself...what's good and bad about either con? They both have positives and negatives, and I just want to talk about what my PERSONAL Pros and Cons for the cons are.

FIRST...My Experiences.

Sac Anime (Sacramento, CA)
I had found out about this by chance. I was suffering from delayed "post Fanime blues" and was looking for a possible convention that could fill the void between FanimeCONs, so I wouldn't have to wait an entire year for the next FanimeCON. That's like when we were kids and the entire year revolved around Christmas, it never comes quickly enough! SO I found out about this little convention, and figured I could drive up there easily enough. Me and a friend got together and it turned out to be one of the BEST convention experiences in my life! I got to meet the two main voice actors from Resident Evil 5 (Roger Craig Smith and Karen Dyer) and got a picture with them. I even got to meet Alyson Court, and got her to sign my DVD copy of Sesame Street's "Follow That Bird." (She played the little girl Ruthie) It was epic! Now I have only attended this convention once, so all my Pros and Cons here will be based off that time.

FanimeCON (San Jose, CA)
The first time I had found out about FanimeCON was when my dad showed me this advertisement in the San Jose Mercury Newspaper for "Fanime 2K," when it used to be hosted at the Westin Hotel in Santa Clara, next to Great America. He knew I liked Anime and dropped me off one evening to check it out. I was hooked. In those few short hours, I had decided that I loved Fanime to death and would be coming back every year. And since then, I have showed up every year, except for 2005. A dark year indeed. I've had great experiences and made a lifelong friend whom I'll call Rei. Every year, as a tradition, we've always met up and booked a room at the Marriott, to be right in the middle of the action. Of course, we've made more lifelong friends throughout the years, and have always had a great time.

Alright...now the serious business...PROS AND CONS

Sac-Anime
Pros:
* Every hotel room is air-conditioned. (The rooms at the Marriott don't get cold at all, lol.)
* Much more intimate atmosphere.
* No elevators. (Everything on one floor)
* Not as much walking distance to cover to experience the whole convention.
* Panels and Autographs are well organized.
Cons:
* One narrow hallway for everyone to squeeze and walk through.
* Gets VERY HOT outside in the Summer.
* No space to take pictures indoors.
* No Anime Music Video Contests.
* Registration is rather chaotic.
* (PERSONAL) 3 hour drive to get there.

FanimeCON
Pros:
* Lots of things to do whenever you desire 24/7.
* Dealer's room is EPICLY large and plenty of room to move around in.
* Plenty of space and room to walk around in.
* Plenty of space to take pictures in.
* Has deep and rich history.
* Registration is totally organized.
* (PERSONAL) Is located in the same city I live in.
Cons:
* Marriott's rooms has lame air-conditioning. (Dunno about Hilton, never stayed there)
* Elevators are a TOTAL MESS before the wee hours of the morning. (When everyone's asleep)
* Protestors...who aren't protesting anything, they just want attention.

Well, those are the Pros and Cons of both conventions that I can think of at the moment. If you have your own Good or Bad opinions about either convention that I haven't put up yet, post it. Also, if you want to talk about your FIRST experiences at either Convention, post that too! And...if you think that one convention is better than the other...post, but also give your explanation why you feel that way.

PyronIkari

Oh holy crap... you seriously do not understand the point of this thread. It's not for anyone flippin "debate" you want to bring up, but issues that have serious reasoning and moral basis. Too bad Mizuki isn't here to lock it right now -_-.

TC X0 Lt 0X

This is clearly the wrong place for this thread.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

PyronIkari

Not to mention, it's not pretty smart to go into a conventions forums and be like...

HEY GUYS, WE'RE GOING TO TALK ABOUT REASONS WHY YOUR CONVENTION IS SHITTIER THAN THIS OTHER CONVENTION AND INCLUDE A LIST OF THINGS THAT YOU GUYS HAVE NO CONTROL OVER ANYWAYS!.

Not a single thing on that list pro or con was something the convention handles.

SORRY SUKEBESTUDIOS... FANIME WILL GET RIGHT ON MAKING THE AIR CONDITION IN THE MARRIOTT MORE TO YOUR LIKING! THEY WILL ALSO TOTALLY GET ON REMOVING THOSE PESKY PROTESTERS THAT YOU DON'T LIKE AS WELL! GOOD THING THEIR WEATHER CONTROL DEVICE IS WORKING SO IT'S NOT TOO HOT FOR YOU, HOPEFULLY SAC-ANIME'S WEATHER CONTROL DEVICE ARRIVES SOON!

-__- And this guy really wonders why people don't like him? When he can't read, follow directions, and blames everyone else for everything.

SukebeStudios

Frankly at this point, I just don't give a shit anymore. There's no point in bringing up a sensible debate  with Pyron troll-stalking me and bringing up shit that I did and said a long time ago. So go ahead, get Mizuki to delete this thread and any debate I bring up, because you can't deal with me trying to be serious and logical because youre adamant that I haven't changed. So fine, MIZUKI, delete this thread if you want. I tried bringing up an honest subject with no agenda.

PyronIkari

Quote from: SukebeStudios on December 06, 2009, 03:58:09 PM
Frankly at this point, I just don't give a shit anymore. There's no point in bringing up a sensible debate  with Pyron troll-stalking me and bringing up shit that I did and said a long time ago. So go ahead, get Mizuki to delete this thread and any debate I bring up, because you can't deal with me trying to be serious and logical because youre adamant that I haven't changed. So fine, MIZUKI, delete this thread if you want. I tried bringing up an honest subject with no agenda.

This is in the WRONG FORUM... it's not even a debate, as you offered no point of standing. All you did was list pros and cons, there's no reasonings or anything else. And of course what do you do when it's pointed out? You start whining like a little brat. YOU ARE THE ONE THAT IS NONSENSICAL. Troll stalking? I read and post in only certain forums, when you post in those forums I read it. If you post in say...

Registration, or the Hotel section, I really don't care.

But dude, you seriously need to get your head out of your ass. The reason why this should be locked is because IT DOES NOT BELONG IN THIS FORUM. You cannot even follow forum standards, and when it's shown to you, you have a little hissy fit like a 4 yr. old. Grow the hell up.

Stythys

Quote from: SukebeStudios on December 06, 2009, 03:58:09 PM
Frankly at this point, I just don't give a shit anymore.

'bout time. maybe we won't get any more of these stupid threads.
"We should not be less than what we are."

SukebeStudios

Ok...now that I've calmed down...I've come to a decision. I shouldn't come to these forums to get pissed at people because they don't agree with me. I'm not the best debater in the world, and I can't do well against people like Pyron, who...dammit as much as he pisses me off, I have to give mad props to for being able to debate like a fiend. Damn you and your...giant brain. ^_^ I think I'll just stick to more lighthearted subjects from now on, the Serious Stuff just ends up making me angry and/or depressed, and at this point in life, the less of it I have, the better. I'm not on here to make enemies with anyone anymore. I'm trying to learn and become a better person, and apologize to people I have offended, and may possibly offend in the future.

If you want to think this is admitting defeat, then very well. I won't try to change your opinion.

PyronIkari

Quote from: SukebeStudios on December 07, 2009, 12:10:28 AM
Ok...now that I've calmed down...I've come to a decision. I shouldn't come to these forums to get pissed at people because they don't agree with me. I'm not the best debater in the world, and I can't do well against people like Pyron, who...dammit as much as he pisses me off, I have to give mad props to for being able to debate like a fiend. Damn you and your...giant brain. ^_^ I think I'll just stick to more lighthearted subjects from now on, the Serious Stuff just ends up making me angry and/or depressed, and at this point in life, the less of it I have, the better. I'm not on here to make enemies with anyone anymore. I'm trying to learn and become a better person, and apologize to people I have offended, and may possibly offend in the future.

If you want to think this is admitting defeat, then very well. I won't try to change your opinion.

foiwajhfa;pw23uyprt9832u5p9832urp932uroujp9rj3p9r48w9prj3p

HOW DENSE ARE YOU???

Okay, I'm going to ask this, fully serious. I am one hundred percent honest when I ask this, because I seriously want to know.

Do you have autism of some sort?

It would explain so much.

What debate? There was no debate, this wasn't even an attempt at a debate. It was telling you, that this thread does not belong here. The subject matter wasn't addressed, the POV wasn't examined, the weight of sides wasn't compared. You posted a thread that didn't belong into a forum. Even further, said thread pretty much was a shot at the convention that owns this board. Seriously, I just don't get it. I seriously do not get this. It's like you're trying not to read what anyone writes, and that you just want to do these things because you want to.

Jun-Watarase

Aside from making yourself seem utterly dense and pathetic, you keep making claims of wanting to "improve yourself" without making much progress at all. I don't really care about what you do with yourself, but you've asked people for opinions and advice before. (e.g. your "I'm lonely" and "Girls don't like guys for personality" type threads.) But somehow you never cease to amaze by doing something that shows that none of them had any help, or even a point, because you don't listen anyway. Try doing that.

No one here is "enemies" with you. People only react to what you say, and if you keep saying things that warrant those sort of reactions, you're going to keep feeling angry and depressed like you are now. Most of those reactions are just you thoughtlessly bringing up topics without much consideration of what they're for, getting offended easily, and sometimes even passive aggressively insulting people. If you haven't noticed, despite your problems, you've quite an ego. Not self-esteem, but an ego.

Loosen up, think before you speak, try to understand reasoning behind why people react the way they do. Sometimes it's just, sometimes it isn't, but c'est la vie.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

SukebeStudios

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on December 07, 2009, 12:28:31 AM

Aside from making yourself seem utterly dense and pathetic, you keep making claims of wanting to "improve yourself" without making much progress at all. I don't really care about what you do with yourself, but you've asked people for opinions and advice before. (e.g. your "I'm lonely" and "Girls don't like guys for personality" type threads.) But somehow you never cease to amaze by doing something that shows that none of them had any help, or even a point, because you don't listen anyway. Try doing that.

No one here is "enemies" with you. People only react to what you say, and if you keep saying things that warrant those sort of reactions, you're going to keep feeling angry and depressed like you are now. Most of those reactions are just you thoughtlessly bringing up topics without much consideration of what they're for, getting offended easily, and sometimes even passive aggressively insulting people. If you haven't noticed, despite your problems, you've quite an ego. Not self-esteem, but an ego.

Loosen up, think before you speak, try to understand reasoning behind why people react the way they do. Sometimes it's just, sometimes it isn't, but c'est la vie.

Well, I'm not going to bother myself with getting upset with people. Life's too short to get pissed at people all the time, right?

PyronIkari

Quote from: SukebeStudios on December 07, 2009, 12:34:37 AM

Well, I'm not going to bother myself with getting upset with people. Life's too short to get pissed at people all the time, right?

You know... It's been what like... 6 months, and 30 attempts. I really thought, "maybe this guy will learn something if people constantly show him what he's doing wrong and maybe he'll learn to accept fault and accept responsibility". But I was dead wrong. Not once have you ever accepted responsibility or fault for anything said or done by you. You've never listened, you never attempted to even get better.

All you've done is bitch and whine. You do something stupid, we point it out, and you bitch and whine about it. Then you blame something else, or pretend it never happened. You bitch and whine about the people in the world, you bitch and whine about how things work... but never once have you listened to why or done something to yourself to fit into the reasoning and figure out how society works. You're so full of yourself, and think the world is wrong, and everyone is missing out on the shining beacon of hope in the world, that is you.

Screw it, it's not worth it. I'm not going to bother with helping you see things anymore, when you don't listen or care. Live in your little world, and continue to be shunned by everyone in the real one.

Steve.Young

Well then, I see things are business as usual.

Carry on. But as a reminder, keep aware of the forum rules :)  ;)
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

Stormfalcon

Quote from: SukebeStudios on December 07, 2009, 12:34:37 AM

This is why we have an ignore list here on the boards now.  If reading a particular person's posts does nothing but get you upset and not thinking clearly when it comes to posting and the rules here, then put that person on the ignore list.  Best to do that and avoid flaming out.
My Cosplay Photography gallery, including FanimeCon 2001-2014:
http://stormfalcon.smugmug.com/CosplayPhotography

My DeviantArt Page:
http://stormfalcon.deviantart.com

lyricaldanichan

To answer your question about which is better to go:

I would say Fanimecon is your best bet. Not only it is local to you, but there is a lot of things to do and has better resources and variety compared to Sac Anime. One of the best video rooms, e-gaming, panels, stage zero, dealer's room, music fest, artist alley and well I can just go on and on.  The biggest shinning point that fanimecon is run by people who love Japanese culture.

Sac Anime is mostly for the newbie anime fans so you get a lot of tweens at that show who have
no idea what a high quality convention is. I can say that the e-gaming staff for this show is one of the best and thankfully help run the e-gaming side of fanimecon. Unfortunately this "show" is not run by people who understand this fandom, despise cosplayers and only doing it for the $.

There was an extensive thread about Sac Anime on the good and the bad about it. I would look into it and make your decision from that.

Steve.Young

Where can I find that thread? I couldn't find it when I looked it up a while back.
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

Jerry

its like comparing apples to oranges.

Sac anime, actually happens twice a year. something That fanime simply cant Do.
With that said, the sheer size is enough of a difference between Fanime and Sac-anime.

from what ive heard the demographic is much different as well- though im not gonna start a debate between bay area people and Central valley people [ thought I did live in the Sac area for 5 years during college life ] the two populations and the crowds it draws are radically different.

Guests - um again because of Fanime's resources theres no comparison.
Events - Fanime has swap meet, music fest, stage zero, a Masquerade that uses the civic auditorium, its own nightly dance club-esc venue as well as the formal black and white ball. Not to mention our Maid Cafe was given great reviews by not only our staff, but even from guests like Idol Momoi. 

Again, really no comparison and there was several Sac anime threads around that honestly have received mixed reviews. There's this thing called a search tool and I'm sure you can find random threads using it.

---

@ SukebeStudios - again you sorts missed the point of this " Serious business " sub forum. but at this point I think its moot to move, change or delete this thread.

you're really trying too hard and its up to you to deal with epic failures now and again. You really have to take everything posted here with a grain of salt and some shred of common sense. you essentially shoot yourself in to foot by posting threads or topics that may seem trivial to others so you really have to think about how your going to react to the harsh reactions because its inevitable. That's what the internet is all about.
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Liquid

I'm not normally one to jump into big debates here....(that's a lie).....but maybe Sukebe would be more inclined to admit fault if someone was nicer about telling him what he had done wrong? ::)

Or maybe Mikey would be nicer to Sukebe, if Sukebe stopped trying to argue with him, thus giving Mikey more reason to be mean to him? ::)

Would you two hug for a Klondike bar? ;D

P.S. What if it was TWO Klondike bars?
Tyler R. - Fanime Staff
2009 & 2010 Rovers - Suits
2011 Rovers - Graveyard Base
2012 Rovers - Second & Head of Suits
2013 Con Ops - Assistant Trouble Shooter

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: Liquid on December 08, 2009, 06:15:13 PM
I'm not normally one to jump into big debates here....(that's a lie).....but maybe Sukebe would be more inclined to admit fault if someone was nicer about telling him what he had done wrong? ::)

Or maybe Mikey would be nicer to Sukebe, if Sukebe stopped trying to argue with him, thus giving Mikey more reason to be mean to him? ::)

Would you two hug for a Klondike bar? ;D

P.S. What if it was TWO Klondike bars?

I want a damn Klondike bar!

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Mizuki

You're seriously wearing on my nerves. I get home from vacation and I get to clean this kind of crap up? Do people REALLY not read the rules? Locked for obvious reasons.

p.s. Watch your language.