FMV Iron Editing contest?

Started by FanFicGuru, December 23, 2009, 11:31:44 AM

FanFicGuru

Ok so I had an idea for a new category/event for the Fanime Music Video competition. A panel of judges who have pre-screened the AMV's select 5 editors who they feel present the most promise or uniqueness in creating awesome AMV's (with a few backups). Then they present these 5 editors with an anime and a song (or artist for some variety) and give them 6-8 hours to create an AMV from it. The editors can decline, of course, which is why there would be some backups that would be notified in the event they turn down the competition. The editing would be done on Friday so the category could be ready for the screening on Saturday. Then the voting process happens as usual, with a fan favorite and a Judges' choice.

Thoughts? 
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Tsu

There was an AMV Iron Chef years ago, way back at the Santa Clara convention center.  They chose 2 editors ahead of time, allowed them to bring their own music, and pre-selected an anime that they weren't told about until they were ready to start the contest (iron chef style).  The editing rigs were pre-loaded with all the footage they were allowed to use.  It was pretty cool, but I imagine it was fairly costly and complex to arrange everything that way.  Still, I'd love to see it done again!
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Second 2016-17
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Head 2014-15, 2018-2019

Tony

I remember that...

I believe there's a group that will do the whole thing, but it's kind of complicated and expensive (gotta keep those computers up-to-date!). And, well, it's kinda weird to watch.
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

Tsu

It is a bit odd to watch... but it was still fun, they showed random AMVs while the editors were working (with noise-blocking headphones, I imagine) and kind of just chatted up the audience.  If it were to happen again, Fanime could always mark the schedule to show when the whole event starts, and when the actual finish time and the screening would be.
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Second 2016-17
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Head 2014-15, 2018-2019

Marin Jei El

It sounds like an interesting idea. If we were were to do something like this it wouldn't be until next FanimeCon. The biggest challenge would be to provide the resources (i.e. computers) to keep it fair. We'll look into that though.

Jose Marin
FMV Dept Head
FanimeCon 2010
Fanime Music Video Contest Dept. Head
Any Questions or Comments send to:
[email protected]

FanFicGuru

Quote from: Marin Jei El on April 15, 2010, 11:27:36 AM
It sounds like an interesting idea. If we were were to do something like this it wouldn't be until next FanimeCon. The biggest challenge would be to provide the resources (i.e. computers) to keep it fair. We'll look into that though.

Jose Marin
FMV Dept Head
FanimeCon 2010

Well if you had a pre-screening to select 5-10 editors then you could focus on lining up those computers for a smaller pool of people. Still, I'm glad that you're considering it for future Fanime's. :-)
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015