AX down the hopper? aka changing a NPO to a For Profit

Started by deonchan, January 13, 2010, 03:03:09 PM

deonchan

I don't know if this is worthy of the Serious Business. So Mizuki if it's not please move or just close the thread.

AX has been making some changes and apparently quite a few people are none too happy with them

http://bit.ly/6di8zs

On top of SPJA (AX's parent company IIRC) electing a new CEO who's made some major moves IE - terminating AX's former marketing company. He's opted to change SPJA to a for profit organization.

The move in turn according to the article sparked the resignations of a number of Board members along with "80% of the staff ready to resign"

In turn the new CEO seems to not care.

QuoteSPJA CEO Michael Lattanzio's Statement

It seems the drama continues. For years the Anime Expo Division of the SPJA has experienced turbulence from Concom management.  That constant has always held true. Last summer the Board of Directors made a decision to transform the SPJA into a professional, results-driven company focused on serving its attendees and the industry. From day one, our course and direction has been to develop and grow the SPJA into viable sustainable fan-oriented organization for years to come and to push harder to meet our mission statement. That position has not and will not change as a result of those who desire to disrupt this formidable and logical strategy. Change and transitions are never easy for profit or non-profit organizations alike. The SPJA's main objective is to bring our fans the best in Anime, Manga and Japanese pop-culture. We do not engage in alleged claims and rumors that have no merit. With that said, we wish those who have resigned the best of luck in their future endeavors and encourage those who are still with us to become more actively involved.

So two questions:

Is this a good move or bad move for AX?

And

Is it wise for NPOs that cater to a non mainstream niche to try and turn for profit? It's the companies choice and if they feel they can do better as a for profit then more power to them.

However, with SPJA no longer being a NPO, will all the focus still be on the fans?  Will things now shift to bigger and better with more $$$?

I apologize if this makes little to no sense. Trying to post while talking to the users at work kills brain cells....
Calvin...

Rovers
Suits
Musicfest
Ops Div

PyronIkari

Makes sense, but it's sad that almost no one on these forusm that will reply knows much on the subject nor will have anything to remotely contribute.

I'll post a real post later, but It's for the better. With the current state of things, they had to do something big to setle things out and to make things balance out. Now the issue of pay and all that becomes a factor and it'll take some coping with.

Tony

Quote from: PyronIkari on January 13, 2010, 04:45:21 PM
Makes sense, but it's sad that almost no one on these forusm that will reply knows much on the subject nor will have anything to remotely contribute.
Or is in a good position to publicly speak on it.  :-X

For what it's worth, having met a number of AX staff, concom, and BOD members, I've found they're all great people - just, clearly, with very different views. As a convention chair, I find the situation saddening and a touch harrowing.
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

Tony

Err, also - I didn't see anything about SPJA changing from NPO to for-profit.
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

deonchan

Quote from: Tony on January 13, 2010, 06:26:02 PM
Err, also - I didn't see anything about SPJA changing from NPO to for-profit.

True. It was a weak assumption on my part. Mainy because of the statement in quotes.

QuoteLast summer the Board of Directors made a decision to transform the SPJA into a professional, results-driven company focused on serving its attendees and the industry.

along with these two

QuoteIn an internal email sent to the SPJA, which has been confirmed by several sources, Lattanzio announced the termination, saying that "the SPJA will be going in a new direction where we will aggressively promote, raise awareness, strengthen existing partnerships while simultaneously establishing new ones."

In regards ti attendance

QuoteThese revenues, which should be a core part of the SPJA business, need significant improvement for our business to continue and to grow."

But you are corect Tony. It does not say in that report that they are going for profit but IMO it seems the new CEO is looking in that direction.
Calvin...

Rovers
Suits
Musicfest
Ops Div

lyricaldanichan

Calvin, you should see the long thread about it on ACML.

http://lists.baka.org/pipermail/animecons/2010-January/thread.html

The people who are in the know are in the wait and see mode.

deonchan

Thanks fot the link. Looks like alot of the people are getting into a how should an Anime con BoD be run (don't want to get into that). Found this to be interesting as it looks like this con went though something similar.

How many for profit Anime conventions are there that are doing well? I can't think of any off the top of my head.
Calvin...

Rovers
Suits
Musicfest
Ops Div

milkmandan

if AX became for-profit, wow they got a lot of licensing issues on their website alone to deal with . lol
as the previous website manager, most of the technoloy we used, was under free license provided that we stay 'non-profit'.  the moment AX/SPJA declares for-profit, they better be ready to shell out the money for the a proper license to avoid getting sued.

=
good chance for fanime to take the lead!??!?! :D

deonchan

Still watching this one from afar

According to some
QuoteStaff is actually duking it out about sides now... And it is obviously tearing the organization apart
link.

Not sure I'd call it duking it out more than whining on both sides but that's just me.

Hope it all works out for the best though.
Calvin...

Rovers
Suits
Musicfest
Ops Div

Mach5Motorsport

AX was for profit years ago.
The drama at AX is an epic mini-series that just won't stop.  wow. 
So now AX has pissed off Sony?  A crazy control freak CEO?
Remember back when AX pissed off Pioneer?
It seems the AX higher ups find some new/creative way to purge themselves of experienced staff after a few lean years of developing staff into department leadership.
Sheeesh, some things never change.........
Brian Doan "Dieter"

Fanime Cosplay Host 2006
Fanime DerCosplay Coord. 2001-2005
Yaoi Con Cosplay Coord. 2002-2005
JTAF 1 & 2
2003 Anime Expo Cosplay, Art & Charity Host
2002 Project Akon Cosplay Host

lyricaldanichan

Anime Expo wasn't the same for me when the moved down to SoCal. It is a bit sad and disappointing seeing what AX has become from when it started Pre-AnimeCon 91 by a bunch of guys at UC Berkeley. But like they say, all good things must come to a end.

Goodnight Sweet Prince.

ewu

As with all things, cons need to be able to adapt to changing times and evolution of both the attendees as well as the staff. Unfortunately, some of the staff are unable to manage that change or simply ignorant to the changing tides. People like AX leadership need to be cognizant of the overall climate or they will simply alienate those that they work with, to the detriment of the con.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom