10 Commandments Have Staying Power

Started by SukebeStudios, January 19, 2010, 03:06:32 PM

SukebeStudios

Hmm...good or bad?

http://www.sphere.com/nation/article/ten-commandments-have-staying-power/19322221?icid=main|search3|dl1|link5|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sphere.com%2Fnation%2Farticle%2Ften-commandments-have-staying-power%2F19322221

I think the 10 Commandments staying up on the basis of historical documents...is...half right. Its an example of one of the first set of laws in the world. And having them on a Courthouse wall...makes sense. What's your take?

Liquid

Highly debatable, I suppose. For one, I thought we had a seperation of Church and State. That document represents Church, for the most part.

Also they said:

Quotethe copy of the Ten Commandments posted in the Grayson County courthouse was constitutional because it was displayed alongside other historical documents, like the Bill of Rights and the Magna Carta, and wasn't meant to endorse or promote religion.

However, there is are commandments that do promote religion.

QuoteSimple\short version of the Ten Commandments:

1. Have no other gods.
2. Have no idols.
3. Honor God's name.
4. Honor the Sabbath day.
5. Honor your parents.
6. Do not murder.
7. Do not commit adultery.
8. Do not steal.
9. Do not perjure yourself.
10. Do not covet.

As you can see there are at least four of the ten that promote or relate to religion directly.

Now, personally I have no issue with that document being posted where it is at. What do I care? I don't have to read it if I don't want to. It doesn't hurt anyone. However, to claim it is there for historic purposes is a bit of a farse. If they really wanted to be historical then they would post the original 613 commandments and not the amended 10, lol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/613_Mitzvot
Tyler R. - Fanime Staff
2009 & 2010 Rovers - Suits
2011 Rovers - Graveyard Base
2012 Rovers - Second & Head of Suits
2013 Con Ops - Assistant Trouble Shooter

Glitch

Much like the bs of intelligent designer,this is pretty much christian fundamentalist sneeking religion into where it doesn't belong.
The excuse of mentioning the founding of america doesn't fly either. American government was founded with a long thought out process that didn't involve benjamin franklin and other saying "hmmm, can we ad this? I don't see in the bible anywhere."

Liquid

Yeah, I was going to argue the point of the 10 Commandments not being a part of our governments history, but I didn't want to have to deal with people trying argue the point of the founders including "In God we trust" or "one nation under God" on many things.
Tyler R. - Fanime Staff

Glitch

Quote from: Liquid on January 25, 2010, 12:03:08 PM
Yeah, I was going to argue the point of the 10 Commandments not being a part of our governments history, but I didn't want to have to deal with people trying argue the point of the founders including "In God we trust" or "one nation under God" on many things.
Well they can argue all they want. "In god we trust" came way after the founding fathers, and "one nation under god" was added to the pledge of alligiance during the cold war in order to show the godless commies that apparrently god loves america more than any other country.

Liquid

Quote from: Glitch on January 25, 2010, 11:02:13 PM
Well they can argue all they want. "In god we trust" came way after the founding fathers, and "one nation under god" was added to the pledge of alligiance during the cold war in order to show the godless commies that apparrently god loves america more than any other country.

Yeah, but very few people actually know that.
Tyler R. - Fanime Staff