Complicating "The Samurai" panel

Started by FanFicGuru, January 26, 2010, 05:31:12 PM

FanFicGuru

Hello all!

I am currently a first year graduate student at UC Santa Cruz studying Japanese history, specifically the impact that Article 9 (the forced disarmament of Japan following WWII) has had on their international relations and development of a national identity in the last 60+ years.

I was interested in hosting a panel that blends pop culture with history in looking at different interpretations of "samurai" in anime, film and manga and how all of the different interpretations present a varying amount of differences from historical samurai and why that might be. I'm thinking this would be a 1 hour presentation with various random prizes for "pop quiz" questions, etc.

Would anyone be interested in something like that? Or would a history lesson be out of place at the convention?

Any feedback is appreciated!
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

CaptainYossarian

I would go. But then I am weird, and, more importantly a history nut. But nonetheless, I would go. My only thing is that, any James Clavell you could sneak in would be cool. That would pretty much be as good as the Clouds an... no, no way I'm going there. But I guess it all comes down to Karma, neh?
"Did I know Szat would betray us?" Urza asked quizzically. "I was counting on it"

Tony

Quote from: FanFicGuru on January 26, 2010, 05:31:12 PM
Would anyone be interested in something like that? Or would a history lesson be out of place at the convention?
No way, dude. Samurai are so not-awesome. We gotta keep the party goin', bro, no harshing it with that smart stuff.

;D

You realize we have the Anime Librarian, Mr. Poitras, as a Guest of Honor every year, right! I remember him and Fred Schodt discussing historical Japan in the context of Rurouni Kenshin/Samurai X/Cowboy Bebop in a panel, and it was very interesting. A history lesson certainly would not be out of place at the convention. In fact, you can PM Poitras with your thoughts - I think his username is "cowpunk" here.

BUT like anything at a special event, just try to make it interesting and punchy. Most of our attendees are about 15-19 years old and don't have much time to spare at the convention, so I would keep it as intriguing as possible, and leave the thorough, complex discussion for after the panel. And definitely invite the really interested attendees to continue the discussion at Peet's/the bar/Denny's/the forums.
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

FanFicGuru

Cool, thanks for the feedback! I just might contact Mr. Poitras and ask for his opinion on the subject...
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Yuu

I would attend. I'm working on a major in History with a focus on the far East. I'm still kind of a 'noob' so I couldn't offer much information but maybe i could learn something.
" Your aren't taking sides if you spread out violence evenly"

Kyra_Maverick

I would be interested as well. Samurai is a word that is often thrown about and I would love to compare various ideas and aspects associated with them.