Asian Film Room

Started by failure, February 02, 2010, 02:06:38 PM

failure

Hi All,  
  I thought I'd make this thread to see if anyone had some good suggestions for Asian Films year.  I'll take suggestions til Feb 15th, after that squeezing anything in will be far too painful.  I'd have made this sooner, but really I only need a few films to round out my list.  

Please don't suggest any movies pre-2008, or films that were shown in the last couple years.  I will not play Battle Royale.  

Cheers,
Josh
head of the now spatially efficient asian films.

Persona

Oops, I didn't see this until now or else I would've suggested some movies.

If you're still taking requests, I'd suggest:

White on Rice [Japan]
Overheard [HK]
Breathless [Korea]
Yang Yang [Taiwan] (not a personal favorite, but it's a good movie)
Fish Story [Japan]
All About Lily Chou-Chou [Japan] (maybe pre-2008?)
The Equation of Love and Death [China]
All Around Us [Japan]

I don't know what you've played in the last few years, so I apologize if there's any overlap.

failure

Quote from: Persona on February 20, 2010, 10:02:43 PM
Oops, I didn't see this until now or else I would've suggested some movies.

If you're still taking requests, I'd suggest:

White on Rice [Japan]
Overheard [HK]
Breathless [Korea]
Yang Yang [Taiwan] (not a personal favorite, but it's a good movie)
Fish Story [Japan]
All About Lily Chou-Chou [Japan] (maybe pre-2008?)
The Equation of Love and Death [China]
All Around Us [Japan]

I don't know what you've played in the last few years, so I apologize if there's any overlap.

Fish Story is already on the list.
All About Lily Chou-Chou is probably going to be one of the throwbacks we're showing.  (BTW that's 2001)
Overheard, I don't want to overload on Louis Koo.  He's already in a number of movies this year that are on the list.
Breathless is a "possible" on my list.
if I have a chance I'll look into yang yang, all around us, and the equation of love and death.  it's a tad last second though.

thanks for the suggestions.

cheers,
josh

Elimeno

Adrenaline Drive - Japanese film kinda old but I like it :P
Know much about purgatory? It's the world we live in now, and Halloween is the day a damned soul in purgatory can be released into heaven, if he prays hard enough. Say your prayers. - Vincent Volaju

Kertus

Oh god yes to White On Rice, great movie I think
Mario '06. Sven '08. Jared '09. Gai '10. Cobra '11. Kenji '12. Spike '13.
irc.rizon.net #fanime Click here to connect to IRC

failure

raltga

Visage (2009) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1262420/
Mei Lanfang (2008) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0851532/

Visage especially.  Every year I make a plea for these kinds of films to be included and they usually aren't, but I'll try again this year.

Zero_Kirby

Freeden

I think Crows Zero 1 and 2 would be a great back to back showing. Both are excellent Takashi Miike films, although I'm sure a lot of people have seen them already. Part 2 should be available with subs by now.

Also great:

Azumi 1 at least, maybe 2.
Attack the Gas Station (hilarious Korean film)

All of these are older films, so I don't know what the policy is on that, but the above films are all pretty excellent (except Azumi 2).

Persona

Well, as long as we're still going (even though I think failure has stopped taking requests by now):

Au Revoir Taipei: a pretty typical and cute Taiwanese film, rather good for a first feature film.
The Message: A whodunit film, with espionage (and torture).
Forbidden Door (Pintu Terlarang): Not sure what the policy is on Southeast Asian films, but this is a fairly decent horror film from Indonesia.
Dear Doctor: A dramedy about a man being mistaken for a country doctor.

kentuckyfried

I missed the screening of "Fine, Totally Fine" I think last year...please play it again if you have it.   

Abyss1

Quote from: Freeden on March 29, 2010, 08:45:49 PM
I think Crows Zero 1 and 2 would be a great back to back showing. Both are excellent Takashi Miike films, although I'm sure a lot of people have seen them already. Part 2 should be available with subs by now.

Part 2 is available and B2B showings would be FREEKING AWESUM and smart!

Freeden

Next year you guys need to show the Crow Zero movies :(

aarondirebear

How about something by Akira Kurosawa?

darkknightcecil

we serioulsy need to update this thread

otakuapprentice

Kaiji: The Ultimate Gambler

Pair this up with the first season of the anime(and the second season once it starts in april), and it is a guaranteed win.

GUARANTEED.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

Freeden

So, how about that Crows Zero 1 and 2 showing?

Also, Detroit Metal City, obviously, and Space Battleship Yamamoto would be a good one as well.  Also, if they can be nabbed, Takashi Miike's last year entries, 13 Assassins and the second Zebraman movie. These would also be great to watch.

Kyokun

I put this on the video thread, but I'll put it here, too, if you are still taking requests: 

Antique (Korean movie, based on Antique Bakery)

Zero_Kirby

Bruce Lee, My little brother

Zirphex

Battlefield Baseball was pretty epic.

just watched Kibakichi which is more or less one of those films that's trying to have a serious story to it but it's just so tacky you can't help but laugh.
MANHO!