Do's and Don'ts for the Black and White Ball (Updated 4-1-10)

Started by tkdteo, February 04, 2010, 02:34:20 PM

tkdteo

*Update* The dress code and dance schedule for The 2010 Black and White Ball is up on the FanimeCon website http://www.fanime.com/events/black-and-white-ball   Almost all the information you would need about BWBall is on the website.  See you at FanimeCon 2010.
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Hi everyone!  Fanime is coming up soon and there have been some questions in regards to attire and ettiquette for the Black and White Ball so I thought I would post the information here.

The Black and White Ball will be held on Sunday May 30, 2010 in the evening this year.  The time has yet to be confirmed but the date is solid.   There will be dance lessons again this year, on Friday, Saturday and Sunday before the Black and White Ball. 

Attire seems to be a big question for people planning to attend the Black and White Ball.  I will try to answer some of that here but if you are still unsure post what your outfit may look like in the forums or email [email protected] and I will let you know if it is acceptable attire or not. 

- For the dance lessons, casual attire is fine.  You are not required to dress up for dance lessons.   However, everyone is required to be wearing shoes of some sort for the dance lessons.  No one will be allowed to attend class barefoot.  Safety issue and all.

- For the Black and White Ball
- Things that are not allowed - Sneakers, flip flops, sandals, shoes without a backing to hold them on your feet, jeans, shorts, any skirt that is higher than 3 inches from the knees, swimwear, tube tops, and t-shirts.
- Things that are allowed - dress shoes, open toed shoes with a backing on them, slacks, khakis, skirts that are 3 inches higher than the knees or lower, blouse, long sleeve button up shirt, short sleeve button up shirt, ties, jackets.

There will be people at the door checking clothing and attire.  Word of advice for anyone who is planning to attend, it does tend to get a bit crowded and we will not have a coat check, so please try not to bring too many things as there will be no place to store your belongs.   

That is it for now.  Stay tuned for more updates and happenings with the Black and White Ball.  If you have any questions, email [email protected]

- Jim
BWBall Head 2010

2010-2012 BWBall Head
2009 BWBall 2nd
2008 BWBall Instructor

Nina Star 9

No shoes with open backs? Well, I guess they would be difficult to dance in, and I do plan on dancing my butt off...

I have a tip for anyone who is going, especially for the ladies. Have pockets. Seriously. The past few years, I have brought a small purse that I have somehow attached to my person, but if I really wanted to dance like crazy to some of the faster songs, I'd have to somehow put it aside and keep an eye on it. This year, I'm planning on building pockets into my dress so I can carry things like my cell phone, ID, and lipgloss (all I really need to carry!) without having much difficulty. If you are in a cosplay or a formal outfit that doesn't have pockets, I suggest that you somehow find a way to incorporate them in. It makes things -much- easier. (A small pouch hidden under or inside your clothes somehow might work, as long as you aren't indecent when removing an item!)

NekoMiki

Here are a few more tips about shoes with regards to dancing in general:

- Shoes must stay on your feet.  For some dances, the ladies will be walking backwards a lot.  This will be very difficult and unsafe if the shoes flop around and do not stay on your feet. 

- If you plan on wearing heels, please wear a pair with a height that you are comfortable with.  You could be wearing the cutest shoes ever, but if you can't walk in them, you certainly won't be able to dance in them.  If you do want to wear heels or higher ones, start practicing now!

- Make sure your shoes allow you to turn/spin freely on the dance floor.  The dance steps taught at the lessons will most likely be very basic, but there might be turns.  Running and tennis shoes tend to grip the floor, and if you try to turn in them, you could twist your ankle.

michiko nakano

Hats are usually quite neccessary with some lolita/goth/steampunk costumes.  Try not to wear a headdress that is very tall or delicate, because the dancing will require that you turn under your partner's arm, and if you dance with someone who is short, for example, this will put your headdress (or hairstyle, for that matter) in harm's way. 

Also, make sure the hairdo is secure, I was devastated after my senior prom to find that my hair had become undone and looked terrible.  Bobby pins and hairspray are lifesavers.

Touya no Miko

Get some gel insoles for your shoes. Your feet will thank you for it.
OMG! What the Fugnuggets is going on?!

Angelx624

Well, I plan to leave my stuff in our hotel room during the ball, so I should have no problem. :3 Course I'll have my badge on me. ^_^
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Satsuki (Totoro)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)
Mikoto Misaka

Rebeccakh

so its cool to have your shoulders exposed yes? I'm sort of confused by the "blouse" term it makes me think of something with shoulders covered. and is there any no nos about what size the straps on your shirt have to be? cause my top is tank topish and ill have like sleeves that go halfway up my upper arm that dont attach to the shirt

tkdteo

Quote from: Rebeccakh on April 13, 2010, 01:19:23 PM
so its cool to have your shoulders exposed yes? I'm sort of confused by the "blouse" term it makes me think of something with shoulders covered. and is there any no nos about what size the straps on your shirt have to be? cause my top is tank topish and ill have like sleeves that go halfway up my upper arm that dont attach to the shirt

Rebeccakh, I would have to see the outfit that you are describing to give you a definite yes or no.  So if you have a picture of what it may look like send it to [email protected] and I will take a look at it.  As for the exposed shoulders, that is fine as long as it is keeping with the semi-formal theme of the dance.  Tank tops are a no no but from what you are describing you are not wearing a tank top but something that has straps like a tank top.  As I mentioned before, I would have to see the picture to give you a definite answer.

- Jim
2010-2012 BWBall Head
2009 BWBall 2nd
2008 BWBall Instructor

tkdteo

2010-2012 BWBall Head
2009 BWBall 2nd
2008 BWBall Instructor

divtmkr99

This is my first time attending the ball and I read the dress code and it states skirts and dresses not to be more than two inches above the knee. The dress I was planning on wearing is a little shorter and halter style so my arms and shoulders will be exposed. Please let me know if you feel this would be inappropriate.

tkdteo

Quote from: divtmkr99 on May 25, 2010, 12:35:31 PM

This is my first time attending the ball and I read the dress code and it states skirts and dresses not to be more than two inches above the knee. The dress I was planning on wearing is a little shorter and halter style so my arms and shoulders will be exposed. Please let me know if you feel this would be inappropriate.

The response to your question is here: http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,11390.220.html
2010-2012 BWBall Head
2009 BWBall 2nd
2008 BWBall Instructor