entering the masquerade without prejudging or rehearsal? just an exhibition?

Started by Beastcub, February 04, 2010, 09:07:21 PM

Beastcub

80% of why i do any event is to run around in costume, i love making costumes and seeing peoples reactions to them.
i am hoping to have a trio of yoshis done in time for fanime for me, my sister and our friend to wear. if not then i have my ryo-oki as back-up if i cannot complete the yoshis.

I have heard that being part of the masquerade can be "slow and painful and often runs late into the night. Pretty hit and miss." and this is my first fanime and i am staying 2 nights so i would much rather not have my time caught up with the masquerade.

so i was wondering if there was some way i/we could pop up on stage early in the show for a quick "whooo ahhhh" from the crowd and then just go about our business. no prejudging, no rehearsal, literally just 20 seconds of music as i/we pop on stage, look cute and leave.

i don't care to win a prize, all i want to do is be sure all the fans of the characters get to enjoy seeing them as that is mainly why i cosplay and i myself LOVE seeing costumes of my favorite characters :)
and i am hoping that us getting to pop out on stage during the masquerade will ensure that any one who would like to see us gets to see us.

if the answer is no then i understand as this request would take time away from those who entered to compete.

Dany

Maybe go as an exhibition entry? I am guessing that you could request no judging...which would save you some time in the progress...but that would be the director's call...

I would recommend rehearsal though...going without rehearsal seems like jumping in a pond and not knowing how deep it is...
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

Aishasama

It sounds like it is best that you do a walk-on entry. They'll give you 15-30 seconds to do some poses, and you can even give them a CD to play your own music. You'll have to register like every other entry, and come to sign in earlier in the day. Also you will probably have to be judged for craftsmanship earlier in the con, but if all you want is to show off on stage, then you shouldn't worry too much about winning/losing.

PyronIkari

No, don't do it. There's a very limited amount of entries allowed in the event, and a lot of people are turned down every year due to time restraints. You are basically saying that you want to take the spot of someone who worked hard on their costume and want to enter this contest to show and get appreciated for their work.

It's kinda rude to just be like "I don't want to be judged, I just want to show off my costume and take the time of someone who wants a real genuine critique".

Jerry

This is always an option for going to smaller Conventions other than fanime if you want to particpate in a masquerade for fun and not for a competition.

Fanime's Masquerade is now considered a "Big Event Showcase" where lots of cosplay groups work very hard to develop their skits- additional "walk on" participants would make the already long show even longer. :P

Though that question(s) is probably best answered by the Masquerade staff themselves. :)

as a random suggestion, how would cosplayers feel about an unofficial "Masquerade Parade" around the Convention ?

Sorta like a kids costume parade on halloween where they all line up--- have a specific walking route around the convention center and then stop in a public place like the Fountains or the Park in front of the Fairmount and have MASSIVE photo ops.

would that be a better idea?
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Aishasama

Quote from: Jerry on February 08, 2010, 01:52:20 PM
as a random suggestion, how would cosplayers feel about an unofficial "Masquerade Parade" around the Convention ?

Sorta like a kids costume parade on halloween where they all line up--- have a specific walking route around the convention center and then stop in a public place like the Fountains or the Park in front of the Fairmount and have MASSIVE photo ops.

would that be a better idea?

This doesn't apply to everyone, but some costumes just aren't the best to walk around in. Ones that are uncomfortable, big, or fragile. Also, It'd be hard to come up with a parade route because the Masq is held across the street from the con center, so the parade would have to cross traffic- and then try and go through the crowded con center- up stairs, through doorways, etc. Would be a long logistic process. Would require staff/volunteers to move everone.

Dany

I like the idea of a cosplay parade, but does it have to be only Masquerade participants and can it be limited to the convention grounds, etc.?

I second previous statements; some costumes people enter in a Masquerade versus what they would wear for a "walking event" are just not made for such an endeavor. For that matter, some Masquerade entrants may not be up for it either, as Saturday is usually tangled up to some degree with all of the last minute rehearsing, preparation and last-minulte flailing about.  Also, you have a lot of folks who don't like to show themselves before they get onstage, because they like to be a surprise (assuming you would consider such an event before the Masquerade event itself, versus on Sunday).

It would give the option of possible "Ooh/Aaah" that Beastcub is looking for, as well as a crowd if people know when to look for it, without the extra stress of a formal entry, and without losing a slot to those who would actually want to enter and be judged accordingly.  And pretty much anybody in a costume could join up if they know where the parade would start.  And here's a bonus to consider: So many costumes get "missed" because people just don't see each other.  The parade could, in theory, get a bunch of costumed folks in one place for everyone to see, even if it was in a big line. I think of the parade stuff I saw for World Cosplay Summit, and I thought that was really cool myself :)  You could even get signs for various anime so that groups of the same character could walk under the same banner. The big thing would be planning and logistics and possibly security concerns.

Hey, it's definitely a thought...maybe for a someday and maybe for someone to banter about (good gravy I'd be ALL over the idea of building Captain Harlock's flag for the Arcadia for a gaggle of Masumoto cosplayers....) Meantime, don't let me carry the boat off of the water here ... :)

BrightHeart76

Probably best to readdress your question either directly to the people in charge or into the more official thread.  However, my understanding of the rules is that all costumes shown during Masquerade, whether they are walk on or skit based, must be judged.  Still, check with the people in charge, I could be wrong.

As a suggestion to make sure fans would see your cosplays, find out which cosplay gatherings would be a good fit for your cosplay and make sure to be a part of them.  The gatherings usually happen during the day and attract a lot of people to look / take pictures.  

I hope you find a way to make the most of your cosplay.  Have fun!
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

Beastcub

Quote from: PyronIkari on February 08, 2010, 01:29:16 PM
No, don't do it. There's a very limited amount of entries allowed in the event, and a lot of people are turned down every year due to time restraints. You are basically saying that you want to take the spot of someone who worked hard on their costume and want to enter this contest to show and get appreciated for their work.

It's kinda rude to just be like "I don't want to be judged, I just want to show off my costume and take the time of someone who wants a real genuine critique".

i still put hard work into my costumes, it's just that for me squealing fans is all the award i need and i have entered and won in like 4 different cosplay contests already so i am not out to win anything anymore...
and i am a professional costume maker http://www.beastcub.com/ so i don't want any drama from those who think professionals should not enter (though i was told it is okay...) as i have gotten a bit of drama at the last event i entered and won at :(
and i don't want drama, i cosplay for the enjoyment of myself and for the enjoyment of others...

and on the topic of a cosplay parade and it being too difficult for those with complex costumes:
what about a HUGE group photo? is there any place big enough for all cosplayers to gather and then get a picture taken from way up high (hotel window? cherry picker?)
such a big "bulk" gathering outside the masquarade would be cool :)
i do know that at "fur cons" the fursuit parade is the biggest event for the costumers, much bigger than the masquarade itself, every one gathers in one place before the parade which is great because it is like a huge social event for those who are both in costume and want to see them, then they parade through the location and meet for a huge group photo at the end, and it so great because the rest of the time all the costumes are spread out all over the place, and it is much more epic when they are all in one place.

Dany

I would suggest just asking to see if an exhibition entry would be acceptable. The question alone can't hurt. :) Bear in mind that, as has been said, that it may be preferred that the slots be saved for those entries who are competing, but at the same time, I would think that the final authority on whether it can be accomodated is in the hands of the Masquerade Director.  If she (I believe) says yes? Then you should be fine. If not, then I am sure there would be other ways to exhibit yourself through the convention, even if the Masquerade audience doesn't get to see you.

If competing is the only way you'll get in, and you feel it's the best way to view the costume you have in mind, so long as no rules indicate that professionals are not allowed, I would consider it appropriate that you enter. Just make sure that you compete at the highest competable division (master/pro/whatever they are calling it).  While some may say that pros have more resources than people who do it as a hobby, I have seen plenty of non-pros give people who do this stuff for a living a run for their money.  Plus, I've seen some pretty elaborate stuff hit the Fanime stage, so I would say it takes some effort to sandbag it (that's just my opinion, your mileage and feeling might vary..).

On the subject of the parade/mass gather: I would LOVE this..the problem is that someone has to own the idea and be willing to present it to Staff folks and then follow through with being the head of such an event.  I'd do it if it wasn't my first year attending and I wasn't focusing on my own Masquerade entry.

mutive

I'm going to hazard a guess here and guess that if you happened to enter the masquerade and tell the judges "oh, we don't want to win anything, we're just showing off our awesome costumes" that no one would have a problem with it, and that the judges would thank you kindly for telling them this and just not take notes on your costume and enjoy seeing three Yoshi's walk across stage.  (Even assuming that you can't enter as exhibition.)

I'm not quite sure why there is so much hatred towards walk-ons.  Honestly, some people like performing, some like making costumes.  As a many time audience member, I would FAR rather see someone with an awesome costume but no inspired skit idea walk onto the stage, turn around once to show off the costume, then leave rather than do what so many do where they hog every allowable second of stage time with a skit that is either inaudible, funny only to them, or amusing only to other fans of an incredibly obscure show.  Three Yoshis walking across a stage sounds very cool to me, and I'd love to see it!

PyronIkari

Quote from: mutive on April 08, 2010, 04:01:56 PM
I'm going to hazard a guess here and guess that if you happened to enter the masquerade and tell the judges "oh, we don't want to win anything, we're just showing off our awesome costumes" that no one would have a problem with it, and that the judges would thank you kindly for telling them this and just not take notes on your costume and enjoy seeing three Yoshi's walk across stage.  (Even assuming that you can't enter as exhibition.)

I'm not quite sure why there is so much hatred towards walk-ons.  Honestly, some people like performing, some like making costumes.  As a many time audience member, I would FAR rather see someone with an awesome costume but no inspired skit idea walk onto the stage, turn around once to show off the costume, then leave rather than do what so many do where they hog every allowable second of stage time with a skit that is either inaudible, funny only to them, or amusing only to other fans of an incredibly obscure show.  Three Yoshis walking across a stage sounds very cool to me, and I'd love to see it!

It's best not to hazard a guess in a situation like this.

This isn't about a walk-on vs. a skit though. As I already stated, the even is a time sensitive event and is allowed only a certain amount of entries. By allowing a competitor that isn't there to compete, they are taking the slot of someone who wants to actually compete, whether or not they are a walk-on, a skit, or whatever. As an audience member, the non competing costume might be more entertaining, and a better costume, who knows, but it might not be. What if... someone missed the deadline to register by 1 slot because they weren't sure they could go and that person would have won for best design/craftsmanship. That person got shafted just because someone wanted to show off a costume and not take it seriously.

That person doesn't need to enter the show to show off his or her costume, they can do that outside... let those that wish to compete compete.

mutive

Alternately, though, there are more than a few that will be competing that have no hope of winning.  (i.e. those who think there performance is funny, but isn't, those who think 20 hours on a costume is a lot of time, etc.)  They're always there.  They always will be.  The only way to remove them is to do what Comic Con is doing this year and basically not letting anyone compete until they've passed a pre-screen.

Maybe it's just me...but if it's first come first serve (as Fanime appears to be), should anyone get preference over another for any reason other than that they were dedicated enough to sign up early?

Alternately, too, if a group claims that they are a walk on and marks something like 15 seconds as their time limit, many masquerade directors will know that more can be squeezed into a performance and thus let more in.  (You figure that if you can fit 4 entries into the space of one, then why not let a few extra of the quick ones in?)  This is even more true if the group doesn't want craftsmanship judging, which will free up judging slots.  Essentially, provided that the group notifies everyone in advance that they only want 15 seconds of stage time, no judging slot, etc. you can let them in without having to bump someone else as they're taking up so little in the way of resources.  (Or let's say we want to put in 4 of these groups, to make things even...you could still let in 4 of these groups vs. 1 "we must do a skit" type groups.)  I guess my feeling is just that someone's desire to be in a masquerade shouldn't trump someone else's.

Tony

... before this gets heated:

[chair hat on]
It's ultimately up to the Masquerade Department to make these decisions. Please contact them with your ideas and discuss it with them.

I would gently remind everyone that the Masquerade is, in part, a competition - and a very time-sensitive one, at that - so please understand if they do not allow entrants to participate if the entrants are not interested in the competition.

Generally, there are other ways to show off your cosplay - aside from, well, walking around.  :) You could host a panel on cosplay construction and show off your work there - while entertaining attendees and sharing tips. There are cosplay gatherings in front of the convention center, which are filled with observers and photographers. You could approach the Stage Zero staff about having a strictly walk-on-only, 15-minute cosplay show. Lots of options, especially if you're willing to try to start something yourself!
[/chair hat off]

... to semi-echo Pyron, time is not only limited, but very expensive in the Civic Auditorium. It's honestly best to keep that show tight and focused.
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

PyronIkari

Quote from: mutive on April 09, 2010, 08:22:51 AM
Alternately, though, there are more than a few that will be competing that have no hope of winning.  (i.e. those who think there performance is funny, but isn't, those who think 20 hours on a costume is a lot of time, etc.)  They're always there.  They always will be.  The only way to remove them is to do what Comic Con is doing this year and basically not letting anyone compete until they've passed a pre-screen.

Maybe it's just me...but if it's first come first serve (as Fanime appears to be), should anyone get preference over another for any reason other than that they were dedicated enough to sign up early?

Alternately, too, if a group claims that they are a walk on and marks something like 15 seconds as their time limit, many masquerade directors will know that more can be squeezed into a performance and thus let more in.  (You figure that if you can fit 4 entries into the space of one, then why not let a few extra of the quick ones in?)  This is even more true if the group doesn't want craftsmanship judging, which will free up judging slots.  Essentially, provided that the group notifies everyone in advance that they only want 15 seconds of stage time, no judging slot, etc. you can let them in without having to bump someone else as they're taking up so little in the way of resources.  (Or let's say we want to put in 4 of these groups, to make things even...you could still let in 4 of these groups vs. 1 "we must do a skit" type groups.)  I guess my feeling is just that someone's desire to be in a masquerade shouldn't trump someone else's.
It seems you're not arguing the reason, but just replying to try and point out possible flaws in logic. But, i'll reply to them anyways.

Yes, many groups have no chance of winning, they'll get what's coming to them when no one laughs at their skit, or when no one applauds except those clearly doing it out of pity. It'll be a kick to their ego to think twice or try harder next time. However the majority of those people signed up ready for a competition.

Signing up early is what most people do, and frankly, spots to go fast. However there are a lot of people that drop out as time progresses as they realize they won't finish in time or other circumstances that prevent them from entering. This opens spots for other people. So your point on that is completely wrong. The point is, there are limited spots, giving one to someone that doesn't care and we know doesn't care about the competition is worse than giving it to a random entry that may or may not care/has a chance of winning.

Ah, this is where ignorance kicks in. Mutive, have you ever organized a large scale event that was very time specific? As someone who has, many times... it's not as easy as you put it. A 15 second walk on, that in itself is only 15 seconds. What about the precursor time that comes before them walking in? How about the intro for them? What about how long it takes to transition to the next person? That 15 second walk on... can take up to 3 minutes real time. This also is under the assumption that the time written by the entries are actually accurate.

Also keep in mind, this also assumes that EVERYTHING runs perfectly smooth as well. That means, all the equipment works perfectly, every single entry is spot on in terms of walking on exactly on time, the music/sound tracks all play perfectly on time, the MC speaks perfectly for every single entry and there is no gap time, which means he is not allowed to adlib or joke, or do anything except announce each entry, there is no clean up required from any skit, and the event starts on time and the audience moves into the auditorium in a timely matter and are courteous and everything.

Every minute that auditorium is being used is money that Fanime is giving to the rental of the hall. You may not think 15 seconds means anything, but it means quite a bit.

But the irony of it is...

QuoteI guess my feeling is just that someone's desire to be in a masquerade shouldn't trump someone else's.
Then why should she get to be able to go over someone that is actually investing a lot into entering?

Think of it this way. Your favorite band is playing and you want to see the show really really bad. You couldn't get tickets because they went on sale while you were at work/school/grandma's' funeral. Your friend has an extra ticket for the show but another one of his friends says "I want to see that show too. I don't care about the band at all, I probably won't buy anything, but I got an awesome outfit today and I want to pick up some chicks at the show". Then stating that, that guy should totally have equal chances of your friend giving him the ticket over you.

ewu

Beastcub: you should e-mail cosplayATfanimeDOTcom and find out.

Sorry, wrong e-mail, updated

Thread locked.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom