Peace bonding

Started by honnou, February 06, 2010, 05:40:35 AM

honnou

I think one of the worst things a con has is pointless peace bonding rules.
I don't see how a zip tie is keeping anyone safe at a con, I see stupid kids at cons swinging around wooden bokkens all the time and they usually have a Peace bonding zip tie on them. So the zip tie isn't working for safety.

Also for a lot of the cosplayers who take the time and money for nice props, Peace bonding usually damages paint jobs or can even break parts, especially when staff insists on Peace bonding a prop for you.

Honestly I don't see the point at all, if a staffer sees an item that isn't allowed at the con , they're guna tell the person take it back to their room or out of the con ANYWAYS, So what's the point of the zip tie, if something is allowed its allowed and if its not its not.

Tony

This will get messy really quick unless you pick a topic from the get-go. We'll have people complaining about the rules on one hand, and how they're enforced in another. It seems like you want to debate the latter, so I'll try to explain the reasons behind zip ties.

Quote from: honnou on February 06, 2010, 05:40:35 AM
I don't see how a zip tie is keeping anyone safe at a con, I see stupid kids at cons swinging around wooden bokkens all the time and they usually have a Peace bonding zip tie on them. So the zip tie isn't working for safety.
The zip tie isn't always meant to tie things together - it can also denote that a prop was inspected by a staff member and was deemed ok. If you're saying that people are breaking the ties and swinging their props around, then you should tell a member of Rovers about it. (I know - "That's not my job, that's the staff's job" - but keeping an eye out only helps everyone.)

QuoteAlso for a lot of the cosplayers who take the time and money for nice props, Peace bonding usually damages paint jobs or can even break parts,...
That's really unfortunate, but it's the reality of bringing out a prop: there's a chance it could get damaged. Of course, staff need to take care when handling things, so it's a valid point.

Quote...especially when staff insists on Peace bonding a prop for you.
Staff would have to do it, or at least supervise. My guess: it's probably simpler and faster to have a staffer doing the bonding, and the majority of the time, there's no damage.

QuoteHonestly I don't see the point at all, if a staffer sees an item that isn't allowed at the con , they're guna tell the person take it back to their room or out of the con ANYWAYS, So what's the point of the zip tie, if something is allowed its allowed and if its not its not.
It allows people to bring props that would otherwise fall in a gray area. Otherwise, conventions would need to have a zero-tolerance approach, and outright deny everything that could be a danger. If these events were not in the context of a convention, that would definitely be the case. Peace bonding is a way of merging the wants of the costume enthusiast with the realities of the rest of the world.
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

Jerry

when trying to research the history or information about the subject I actually found a wikipedia entry ---

----
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace-bonding

Peace-bonding

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For the Canadian law, see Peace bond.

A peace-bonding is a conspicuous lock, tie, or mark which makes or identifies something as unusable as a weapon, that is, that the owner's intentions are purely peaceful.

At some conventions or public events, attendees carry real weapons or costume props that appear to be weapons. To prevent attendees from using real weapons at such events, the security team peace-bonds anything that might look like a weapon.

The event's weapons policy may offer subjective criteria to determine what looks like a weapon. For example, a weapons policy may require a peace-bond for anything that a reasonable person might recognize as a weapon from a short distance in dim light. Real weapons, if allowed, are disabled, secured, and marked. For example, bright orange zip ties may be used to hold a sword in a scabbard or to hold a pistol in a holster. Simulated or costume props may require conspicuous marks, such as bright ribbons or zip ties, to show that security has deemed them safe to carry. Simulated weapons or props which can be used as a weapon may be disabled or secured just like real weapons.

Peace-bonding helps security control prevent attendees from bringing or using real weapons to the event; anything that looks like a weapon but which is not peace-bonded is immediately suspicious.

This term is used at science fiction and fantasy conventions.

----

I dont know why you seem so upset by this "pointless" rule. -

the point is simple --->  it shows that said Cosplayer took the time to seek out [Fanime] staff and wanted to make sure their weapon prop was inspected to be OK for public use. I'm not sure if you noticed but Fanime [as well as most other Conventions around the nation]  have a Prop & Weapons Policies in place as well.

the zip tie represents a visual reminder that a verbal agreement has been made that the specific Con-ger with specific Costume with proper weapon prop accessory will abide by not only LAWS enforced by say the state of California, but additional safety guidelines set by the convention.

hypothetically if an accident were to occur [knock on wood] - We'd like to hope [insert random legal mumbo jumbo] that they wouldnt try to shut down Fanime or worse try to sue the pants off this organization. if there was somehow 'proof' showing that the prop handler was spoken to about rules and safety... ---> hence the reason for the visual peace bond tie is on the prop itself.

The vast majority of Cosplayers have complied with this peace bonding rules for some time now. So again I dont know why your so against the idea of the safety rules itself or specially you have issues with the "zip ties" themselves.

Your point is valid about "damage" though. As I've mentioned in the Weapons Prop question thread, your not the first person to complain about damage from the zip ties and I doubt you'll be the last. We try our best to keep our training as consistent as possible and we know that some people spend time on money on their props but things will happen and we will try to accommodate on a case by case scenario---

if you do have a major concern you'd like to discuss please feel free to contact Rovers Department via e-mail.

in short the rules and zip ties are there for a reason :)  and if you still feel otherwise, please bring up any other points I may have missed
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

SukebeStudios

I can't believe that I'd be on the other side of the fence on this one. It seems like someone started this thread because they felt wronged by the staffers and want to try to get people on their side. Like I'm often accused of (which is only true half the time, lol.) But regardless, here's my two cents, however you want to spend them.

Quote from: honnou on February 06, 2010, 05:40:35 AMI don't see how a zip tie is keeping anyone safe at a con, I see stupid kids at cons swinging around wooden bokkens all the time and they usually have a Peace bonding zip tie on them. So the zip tie isn't working for safety.
Again, agreeing with Tony, why AREN'T you reporting this to Rovers? And...to a degree, they CAN keep people safe at a con. Since they started selling weapons in the Dealer's room, (swords for example) they can zip-tie the hilt of the sword to the scabbard so they're unable to unsheathe the blade. Very SMALL degree of security, but still makes sense nonetheless.

Quote from: honnou on February 06, 2010, 05:40:35 AMAlso for a lot of the cosplayers who take the time and money for nice props, Peace bonding usually damages paint jobs or can even break parts, especially when staff insists on Peace bonding a prop for you.
Not to sound cold hearted, but, too bad. Rules supercede your efforts to make something look good.

Quote from: honnou on February 06, 2010, 05:40:35 AMHonestly I don't see the point at all, if a staffer sees an item that isn't allowed at the con , they're guna tell the person take it back to their room or out of the con ANYWAYS, So what's the point of the zip tie, if something is allowed its allowed and if its not its not.
Are you serious? If they zip-tie it, it means con ops deemed it safe enough to carry around at the con. If they tell you to take it back to the hotel room, then they didn't deem it safe enough. THAT'S THE POINT OF THE ZIP TIE. That's the main point of the zip-tie, ID for the Rovers so they can tell by a glance that your weapon/prop has been approved.

I would like to hear Mikey's take on this, he'd be able to put it better than I could.

honnou

I guess we're guna have to agree to disagree on this one .

I really don't see the point of the zip tie. If think if a staffer see's something that he or she knows isn't allowed ( assuming they know ) then they take action that is needed that should be it. They already look anyways for the zip tie.

i dont know , it doesn't seem like the best way to handle the problem. i guess being a cosplayer this is the side of argument I'm on , and i understand that you guys being staff will think the other side.

it makes me wonder what other alternatives are available then a zip tie?

SukebeStudios

You guys? I'm not staff, and I AM a cosplayer, so your argument that cosplayers and staff are going to differ? CRITICAL FAIL. BTW, in your whining and complaining that the Peace Bonding is stupid, why haven't you come up with a better solution? I don't think that you could, because you started a debate, and we gave you arguments on our side why it makes sense. You chose not to address them and rather avoid counter arguments, and not offer a solution. What were you trying to get out of this thread, which OBVIOUSLY wasn't an alternative solution?

ewu

Actually, I think you have to agree, period. The con has established rules and these are one that the con is not at all likely to dispense with.

The peace bonders have training that almost all the staff do not have. It would be impractical and virtually impossible for that training, so the remainder of the staff must rely on common sense that does not comport with the con's weapons policy. That is what the ties are for, to supplement for the impossibility of training and the insufficient common sense of the untrained staff.

Simply talk to the people peace bonding people to ask how they will be bonding it. They try their best, but they are not as familiar with your prop as you are. Working with them is the best way to ensure your prop is not damaged.

If you have some other option that you think will meet our need please share, but bear in mind that our current method has been adapted over the years and is a time tested method.

oh and real world concerns: unfettered allowance of weapons and the accidents that accompany that lead to higher insurance premiums that the convention and city mandate we have....aka no peace bonding = much higher attendance costs or no con at all...YAY LIABILITY!
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Tony

Quote from: honnou on February 06, 2010, 08:16:39 PM
it makes me wonder what other alternatives are available then a zip tie?
I'd love to hear the discussion on this one - surely by now there's some technology that might be useful... though it's honestly harder to get much simpler and cheaper than zip ties. Maybe something like a hand stamp that's only visible under blacklight...

Quote from: ewu on February 06, 2010, 09:03:17 PM
oh and real world concerns: unfettered allowance of weapons and the accidents that accompany that lead to higher insurance premiums that the convention and city mandate we have....aka no peace bonding = much higher attendance costs or no con at all...YAY LIABILITY!
That's a pretty good point in general. There's all kinds of crazy things we could allow - for example, we COULD sell alcohol - but as soon as that happens, we are required to hire police and our insurance skyrockets, to start. Not to mention the PR hit if anything went wrong.
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

honnou

Oh well , you cant win them all  ;)

Thanks all you guys for replying

DivineChaos

It's understandable for peace-bonding, but I just find it troublesome that the sword and sheath are bonded together.  Again it's understandable if it's a metal sword or whatnot, but if it's wooden, either accept it or don't.  A lot of cosplayer's poses depend upon being able to use their unsheathed sword.  I had the problem last time since I had a steel sword and obviously I couldn't unsheathe it; but when I bought a wooden version on con grounds, I got it tagged again and they made it so I couldn't take the sword out. 

Now you could argue that if you don't want that, just bring the sword itself, and not the scabbard.  But really, if I'm going to be walking around 10+ hours at the con, I don't want to have to carry around a sword, however light, especially if I'm going to be grabbing stuff from the dealer's room.

tl;dr - If the sword is acceptable, tag the sword, don't bind it to the scabbard; cosplayers want to be able to pose.  If it's not acceptable, don't accept it.

Pimpstress Rei

We have discussed this among senior staff since the inception of FanimeCon and unfortunately zip ties are the best compromise to allow cosplayers to even have faux weapons on convention grounds. Well, let's put it this way, if there was no peace bonding, things would be very different.

For example, if we allowed weapons to be on site without peace bonding, we would have to compensate by having enough police presence to properly watch over attendees which was 14,000+ as of FanimeCon 2009. The huge problem not only by having a small army of police at the con, would be paying for these fine uniformed individuals. The money would have to come from the events themselves. It would suck to have to get rid of MusicFest, Stage Zero, Black and White Ball, Masquerade, etc. or have the attendees not have con-derived hotel discounts to pay for the necessary police.

When you throw in the liability and our skyrocketing premiums, FanimeCon may not exist beyond another year or two.

Sure, it sounds drastic to put the peace bonding in these terms but imagine telling our insurance carrier about 14,000 attendees who have weapons out and we are allowing them to wave them around, even if just for pictures. I don't know about you, but I see an insurance agent-shaped cloud and our insurance policies with big red VOIDs on them.

So we do what we can to bring you the best show and sometimes that means doing things you don't want to do like peace bonding. Consider them your yearly 'doctor's shots' that keep you healthy the rest of the year.

I think peace bonding is much better than banning any and all types of weapons and props (plastic guns, paper mache swords, walking staff) altogether.
Marie F.
Vice-Chair 2009-2011
Assistant Director of Marketing 2008
Publications Manager 2006, 2007
Con Mom forever o.O

DivineChaos

Quote from: Pimpstress Rei on February 08, 2010, 12:37:53 AM-

Yeah for sure.  Even OP has conceded the point, but do you guys understand the point that I'm making?  That while peace-bonding is necessary, the method by which they peace-bond the weapons should be looked into.

Jerry

Quote from: DivineChaos on February 08, 2010, 12:54:09 AM
Quote from: Pimpstress Rei on February 08, 2010, 12:37:53 AM-

Yeah for sure.  Even OP has conceded the point, but do you guys understand the point that I'm making?  That while peace-bonding is necessary, the method by which they peace-bond the weapons should be looked into.

as mentioned before--- I'll go to my higher ups with the Rovers Department and share the concerns I've read from these threads and we'll re-examine the " zip tie / peace bonding " process.

now again if you have a specific example, or if you want to take it a step further and identify who [out of the Fanime Rovers staff] had either "damaged" or your opinion "incorrectly" zip tied your weapon/item/prop then please e-mail our heads. and we'll investigate each claim case by case. This will help us re-evaluate the tie-off process and how to minimize issues.

considering that we do have 14,000+ attendees and maybe from my count about 10 or so complaints about "peace bonds" thats actually not a horrible ratio.

I'd rather have valid complains about zip ties than having to fill out incident or accident reports due to injured Con goers and unchecked weapons running rampant.

Something to think about- and why Fanime Con goers & Cosplayers alike have fun at one of the biggest and best Conventions around. :)

Please keep the comments, concerns, and questions coming.

We'll do our best to help you. Remember By Fans for Fans [and for Fun!]  :D

DivineChaos

It's not a matter of them putting on the peace-bonds incorrectly or damaging anything for me.  It's, as I stated, leaning towards the method of peace-bonding (in cosplayers with sheathed swords cases, them being sealed from further use) rather than the policy of peace-bonding itself.  I've conceded and so has OP that peace-bonding is okay and good, but (and no, I don't have soild examples except for people I know personally) most cosplayers with sheathed swords dread having to go to rovers because then the poses they want to get done can no longer be done. 

Sure you can say it's in the name of safety, but if so, you might as well peace-bond scabbardless swords to people's cosplays as well, since we don't want the sword to be used in a bad manner. 

Sarcasm aside, I can't point out names not only because I don't know any of your names, even after 6 years or so of attendance, but because it's not incorrectly done by current policy.  If I had to revise the rule of peace-bonding for your rovers, it'd be this:

While all legal weapons, assuming they are eligible to be brought on the con, whether functional or not, are required to be peace-bonded, the peace-bond should be placed on the sword itself rather than the sword and sheath interlocked.  If, in any case, the sheath is freely wielded (Not bound to the person in question, but instead held by hand), both the sheath and sword are to be peace-bonded.  If a weapon is ineligible to be carried around unsheathed, then it should then and only then be bonded to the sheath, with the cosplayer's request being the only other exception to this rule.

In other words, people carry around wooden swords (boken, shinai, etc.) therefore all wooden swords and otherwise should be allowed outside of their respective sheaths.  Not only would this rule have precedent backing it's implementation (note previous sentence), but it would improve the cosplay experience for those it would affect.

/thread.

PyronIkari

Quote from: DivineChaos on February 08, 2010, 11:16:21 AM
It's not a matter of them putting on the peace-bonds incorrectly or damaging anything for me.  It's, as I stated, leaning towards the method of peace-bonding (in cosplayers with sheathed swords cases, them being sealed from further use) rather than the policy of peace-bonding itself.  I've conceded and so has OP that peace-bonding is okay and good, but (and no, I don't have soild examples except for people I know personally) most cosplayers with sheathed swords dread having to go to rovers because then the poses they want to get done can no longer be done. 

Sure you can say it's in the name of safety, but if so, you might as well peace-bond scabbardless swords to people's cosplays as well, since we don't want the sword to be used in a bad manner. 

Sarcasm aside, I can't point out names not only because I don't know any of your names, even after 6 years or so of attendance, but because it's not incorrectly done by current policy.  If I had to revise the rule of peace-bonding for your rovers, it'd be this:

While all legal weapons, assuming they are eligible to be brought on the con, whether functional or not, are required to be peace-bonded, the peace-bond should be placed on the sword itself rather than the sword and sheath interlocked.  If, in any case, the sheath is freely wielded (Not bound to the person in question, but instead held by hand), both the sheath and sword are to be peace-bonded.  If a weapon is ineligible to be carried around unsheathed, then it should then and only then be bonded to the sheath, with the cosplayer's request being the only other exception to this rule.

In other words, people carry around wooden swords (boken, shinai, etc.) therefore all wooden swords and otherwise should be allowed outside of their respective sheaths.  Not only would this rule have precedent backing it's implementation (note previous sentence), but it would improve the cosplay experience for those it would affect.

/thread.

I didn't want to post in this because it was mostly opinion and "I don't like because..." crap. But Divine Chaos' posts got to me.

GET OVER YOURSELF.

You're whining because your sheathed bokken was peacebonded to be unable to be removed from the sheath. DO you know why this is?

OF COURSE NOT, because you don't care to know. Unsheathing a sword is illegal. Yes... it doesn't matter that it's wooden, but it LOOKS real. If a sword LOOKS real and is unsheated, a cop can shoot you on the spot.

Some fun rules in terms of law. It is 100% legal to walk around with a sheathed sword(in most areas) as long as the sword is in completely plain site (concealed weapons law). Now, if you look like you're going to unsheathe the sword, a police offer can and will draw his weapon and stop you and at that point can confiscate the weapon. If you DO unsheathe the sword that's the same as showing aggression, or in a different light, cocking the hammer of a gun, at which point an officer can fire upon you.

Now, let's say SJPD is walking around. They are not trained in recognizing what swords are specifically real or not. A bokken, that is roughly 3ft and identical in shape and size of a real metal katana is sheathed. And someone reaches and unsheathes the bokken, how would SJPD react? Do you think it's a bigger deal that you couldn't unsheathe your sword because of peace bonding(or why do you even own a sheathed bokken in the first place...) or a police officer drawing his weapon in the middle of a convention because he thought someone was unsheating a metal sword?

As I said... get over yourself. Your pose for a picture over the safety of 14,000 people? Over causing a huge scene where an officer pulled his firearm and pointed it at you, which would probably cause a huge panic and would have MAJOR consequences later.

DivineChaos

Quote from: PyronIkari on February 08, 2010, 01:58:35 PM

Previous record:  1 thread agreed, 1 thread disagree with stalemate.  Let's see how this one turns out and have some fun, ne?

Your main argument seems to revolve around the fact that if you draw the sword, a police officer doesn't know if it's real or not, therefore will act accordingly (and justifiably so).  The problem with this is that even an unconcealed weapon needs a permit (do you, or any cosplayer for that matter, have one?  Didn't think so).  But even so, your argument that a police officer will not know the difference between a real sword or not is moot, because look at this situation:

Cop is walking down the street and someone is carrying around a katana wielded freely.  They won't react at all?  I think not.

Therefore, using your same logic that police officers may react badly if they see a threatening weapon (since they have no power of observation, again according to your argument), ALL weapons wielded freely, all fake guns, all wooden swords, everything must be banned, because hey, someone might get shot. 

My argument is based around the fact that swords without sheaths are tagged on the sword themselves, yet swords with sheaths are interlocked.  Double standard?  Maybe not an extremely double-standardish (I make up my own words from time to time, pardon that), but still a double standard nonetheless.  Therefore if you ban swords that can be unsheathed, then you might as well ban ones that have no sheath at all (Because hey, penal code and yourself "If you DO unsheathe the sword that's the same as showing aggression, or in a different light, cocking the hammer of a gun, at which point an officer can fire upon you." say so).

Allowing the argument to pass that police may react badly will set the precedent needed to remove any unconcealed weapons entirely from the con.

Jerry

in an attempt to do some research -

Here is a link to penal codes about weapons in California.
its VERY lengthy so please see the link.

http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/12020.html

if its Not allowed under according to this link - then likely it is not allowed at Fanime. Pretty simple i would think.
Heres the jist of it - regarding "Cane Swords" [swords in general]

(1) Manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the
state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives,
lends, or possesses any cane gun or wallet gun, any undetectable
firearm, any firearm which is not immediately recognizable as a
firearm, any camouflaging firearm container, any ammunition which
contains or consists of any flechette dart, any bullet containing or
carrying an explosive agent, any ballistic knife, any multiburst
trigger activator, any nunchaku, any short-barreled shotgun, any
short-barreled rifle, any metal knuckles, any belt buckle knife, any
leaded cane, any zip gun, any shuriken, any unconventional pistol,
any lipstick case knife, any cane sword, any shobi-zue, any air gauge
knife, any writing pen knife, any metal military practice
handgrenade or metal replica handgrenade, or any instrument or weapon
of the kind commonly known as a blackjack, slungshot, billy,
sandclub, sap, or sandbag.

(15) As used in this section, a "cane sword" means a cane, swagger
stick, stick, staff, rod, pole, umbrella, or similar device
, having
concealed within it a blade that may be used as a sword or stiletto.

So even answering a previous question--- even a walking stick or a Cane could be used as a weapon.
when mishandled by anyone in the general public--- so it would have to be checked out or peace bonded.

As far as tying it to a person to prevent a person "brandishing" it in an offensive pose again is understandibly [for me] an interesting debate.

again I'll have to discuss this further with our superiors and get the feedback from the Cosplay community--- for most part unless more Cosplayers come forward--- again I only count about maybe 10+ max-ish that have an issue from about 14,000+ attendees...

again if you have a specific example - with a name, photos of "damage" or a situation of staff/member harassment - please let us know Via e-mails only. Thanks!

DivineChaos

Damn, a peace-keeper, that kills the fun =(

Yep I researched into it as well.  Since I think the thread is done, you should check out the knife laws too, as swords could probably fit under that category (There's seems to be no explicit sword references made, since cane swords seems to refer more towards that French-type sword).

Jerry

Quote from: DivineChaos on February 08, 2010, 04:04:22 PM
Damn, a peace-keeper, that kills the fun =(

Yep I researched into it as well.  Since I think the thread is done, you should check out the knife laws too, as swords could probably fit under that category (There's seems to be no explicit sword references made, since cane swords seems to refer more towards that French-type sword).

its using an "category of weapon" basically anything with/without a handle that could be swung around that could cause damage - generally speaking which covers, clubs, nunchucks, metal and non-metal blunt, and melee attack weapons. essentially almost any hand propelled weapon.  

we already have a rule on swords and bladed weapons though.

as in the " NO LIVE STEEL " rule. that pretty much covers any metallic using weapons - which also includes, knives, swords, throwing items, etc etc.

I mean seriously--- there's making a cosplay authentic, and then theres everyone's safety you have to consider- its really not worth it when you have so many options that the cosplay community has made up to create such great and awesome props/weapons/ accessories and not be considered hazardous weapons of mass destruction. :)

PyronIkari

Quote from: DivineChaos on February 08, 2010, 03:42:59 PM

Previous record:  1 thread agreed, 1 thread disagree with stalemate.  Let's see how this one turns out and have some fun, ne?

Your main argument seems to revolve around the fact that if you draw the sword, a police officer doesn't know if it's real or not, therefore will act accordingly (and justifiably so).  The problem with this is that even an unconcealed weapon needs a permit (do you, or any cosplayer for that matter, have one?  Didn't think so).  But even so, your argument that a police officer will not know the difference between a real sword or not is moot, because look at this situation:
Not "ALL" unconcealed weapons need a permit to own. You do not need a permit to own a knife or sword. Only firearms require permits to legally own. Why do you think you need a permit to own a pocket knife or hunting knife when these can be purchased practically anywhere without valid background checks?

QuoteCop is walking down the street and someone is carrying around a katana wielded freely.  They won't react at all?  I think not.
Some will, but they are not required to by law. Many WON'T approach you but will keep an eye on you.

So far all you've replied with are false facts and conjecture.

QuoteTherefore, using your same logic that police officers may react badly if they see a threatening weapon (since they have no power of observation, again according to your argument), ALL weapons wielded freely, all fake guns, all wooden swords, everything must be banned, because hey, someone might get shot. 
This makes no sense, nor does it even apply to my logic at all. The ACT of unsheathing a sword is considered an act of aggression. Fake guns that DO NOT have painted manufactured tips, are banned. You're not following my logic at all.

QuoteMy argument is based around the fact that swords without sheaths are tagged on the sword themselves, yet swords with sheaths are interlocked.  Double standard?  Maybe not an extremely double-standardish (I make up my own words from time to time, pardon that), but still a double standard nonetheless.  Therefore if you ban swords that can be unsheathed, then you might as well ban ones that have no sheath at all (Because hey, penal code and yourself "If you DO unsheathe the sword that's the same as showing aggression, or in a different light, cocking the hammer of a gun, at which point an officer can fire upon you." say so).
It's not a double standard at all, and if you followed my logic you'd understand that. Unsheathing the sword is an issue. Holding a bokuto is not. SWINGING A BOKUTO is. The point is, is that if your bokuto is sheated.

There is no way to tell whether or not the sword is bokuto or live steel. There is no way to tell the difference at all unless you have a clear sheath.

This is undeniable correct?

You can't unsheathe a sword that doesn't have a sheathe. So there's no way to confuse that... that bokuto is not live steel. WHat part of this don't you understand? What part of this doesn't make sense?

Something that cannot be seen, can be confused for live steel, and there's no way to tell. So unsheathing the sword is seen as unsheathing a sword, whether it is metal or wood doesn't matter, because it's a sheathed sword that is being unsheathed with no indication. Walking around with an unsheated steel sword is banned... walking around with an unsheated bokuto is not illegal. Walking around with a sheathed bokuto looks just like a steel sword, so how is someone supposed to know?

Once more, this is just you whining about something because you couldn't do something you think you should be allowed to do without thinking about the reason why the rule exists. Then making grand exaggerations to reply?

QuoteAllowing the argument to pass that police may react badly will set the precedent needed to remove any unconcealed weapons entirely from the con.

YOU SEEM TO NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT UNCONCEALED WEAPONS MEAN.

Unconcealed weapon means the object as a whole is hidden from view. Putting a gun in your pocket, hiding a sword under your coat, strapping a knife to your thigh. THis is a concealed weapon.

A holstered gun on your waist, a sheathed sword on your hip, these are UNCONCEALED WEAPONS, because they are in plain site.

The issue returns to. Unsheathing a sword is not allowed, and it is hard to differentiate between a wooden and metal sword when it is sheathed, so through safety, any sword being unsheated is seen as a danger.