Info For Artist Alley Reg

Started by imoto, February 10, 2010, 08:45:48 AM

sever007

I have a question regarding the upcoming AA Table registration process.
I received my Seller's Permit in the mail yesterday and I know we are supposed to have two copies at time of set-up. However, will AA Reg want a copy if it is available at the time of actual registration? I have it in pdf format so it can be uploaded to the reg form or emailed to the appropriate staff.

Regarding cost of AA tables. As some have mentioned, Fanime is quite inexpensive compared to other cons, some smaller ones, even. We fly in from WA, get a hotel, buy reg, an AA table and it still costs much less than our Sakuracon. Hotel rooms alone are much cheaper at Fanime than most conventions we've attended both large and small. We had our first AA table at Fanime last year and were quite happy with the turnout and our final $$'s although our main goal was to visit and have fun at Fanime and hopefully cover our costs. Otherwise, we did not depend on Fanime to carry us through since it was our first time in AA. I can understand how people may feel the cost being too high, but in comparison, I would say that Fanime is quite cheap for the quality. Another example: we are attending AA for our local Emerald City Comic Con which is at the same location as Sakuracon. ECCC is our local comic book and pop culture convention. AA tables are $185 per table with a limit of two tables per artist. That also includes badge registration which is still very cheap. It's only a two day event and taking off the badge fees, still much more per dollar per hour than Fanime.

I would suggest to those wanting to break even or create more of a profit look at their pricing models and types of art they offer to people to help offset Fanime's cost. I know we did a bit of research before we came and also what appeared to be typical or average prices for services or goods many artists offered.

The Fanime AA section is quite large and varied and there are many talented artists, making for lots of great competition. We enjoyed it quite a bit. I hope it will be that way this year, too.

naruto_ramen_1

Quote from: naruto_ramen_1 on February 23, 2010, 11:37:52 AM
Hi there!

So, any word on when the AA is going to be ready? It's nearly March, and it's really unusual waiting this long ^^

I'm coming from out of state here, and I'm trying to plan ahead as best I could.

As for groups, you're saying that 10 tables can be reserved together? So, does that mean that us 'single' tables will just be there to fill in the gaps between groups?

Out of curiosity, why did you guys change the way this is handled? I mean, the old way seemed fine to me.

Oh! Do I need to buy my registration badge first or is that something I can do as I buy the AA table?

Thanks for your help and thanks for listening!  Replies are greatly appreciated! :D

Um......hello? Is anyone working on this?

What is going on with tables this year? No one is replying to my emails nor are they answering my questions on this forum. I'm getting frustrated with this whole process. Usually Fanime has all of this taken care but it's going on the second week of March and STILL NOTHING. I'm coming from out of state, but I don't want to buy a badge if I'm not selling in the alley. Money is extremely tight right now. ^^ Could someone please let me as well as all the other artists what is going on. When will we get to sign up for a table and do we need to buy a badge ahead of time or will we be able to buy a badge when buying a table? I already have my permit.

Someone please talk to me!
Dattebayo!

ewu

I believe that someone just e-mailed you back.

We are working to get things up and running but inherent to running a giant convention, issues come up and delays happen. When we have it all ready then the reg site for AA will come up.

Memberships and tables are separate processed and you will need to purchase a membership in addition to getting a table.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Althena

We are still going to be notified a week in advance as to when the registration will be going up, correct?
here lies everything...the world I wanted at my feet... my victory's complete...

ewu

If you are on the AA e-mail list then they will send out an advance e-mail. I am not too sure about the accuracy or prediction that can be given in that message.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Topagae

I have a question about artist helpers. Are we allowed to have helpers at the table? Cause a I saw a post earlier that said 2 artist maximum.

Ren_Zhao

Quote from: sever007 on March 05, 2010, 04:20:59 PM
I have a question regarding the upcoming AA Table registration process.
I received my Seller's Permit in the mail yesterday and I know we are supposed to have two copies at time of set-up. However, will AA Reg want a copy if it is available at the time of actual registration?

It won't hurt you at all to send in a copy of the pdf, but you'll still need to bring in a physical copy when you get to the artist alley check-in for the staff to keep.

Quote from: Topagae on March 09, 2010, 09:08:33 PM
I have a question about artist helpers. Are we allowed to have helpers at the table? Cause a I saw a post earlier that said 2 artist maximum.

There can only be 2 people at a table at one time, helpers and artists included. (Of course, rotating people in and out is fine!) Otherwise, if there are a bunch of people behind one table, it becomes a fire hazard.
Kio
FanimeCon Artist Alley Staff 2011
Anime Expo LPTS Staff 2011
--
Fanimaid Cafe Maid 2011
Cafe Kintoki Maid/Host, Co-Manager 2011

ewu

Quote from: Ren_Zhao on March 10, 2010, 02:00:49 AM
Quote from: Topagae on March 09, 2010, 09:08:33 PM

There can only be 2 people at a table at one time, helpers and artists included. (Of course, rotating people in and out is fine!) Otherwise, if there are a bunch of people behind one table, it becomes a fire hazard.

Only allowed to have 2 chairs behind the table, so only 2 people. If you move chairs, then we'll give u a warning, but second time and we may ask you to leave.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

UzumakiRamen

Quote from: ewu on March 08, 2010, 05:27:28 PM
If you are on the AA e-mail list then they will send out an advance e-mail. I am not too sure about the accuracy or prediction that can be given in that message.

how can I get on the AA mailing list?

ewu

email artistalleyATfanimeDOTcom
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

banjocat

We're approaching two months before the convention, and any kind of update with solid, concisely-written information would be great. Even a "we're still here and working on it" shout-out would help ease the anxiety I know my artist friends and I have been feeling.

The long periods of radio silence peppered with vague/confusing info don't do much to keep potential participants happy and ready to have fun at Fanime. I understand and appreciate that putting on the convention/Alley is a lot of work on top of daily life, but there are a few hundred of us spending a lot of time nervously checking inboxes and this thread for any tidbit of news. Keeping visible and in-touch with the artists would go a long way!

That said: thank you, ewu, for your continued presence in this thread.

ewu

we are here, we are working. there are certain deadlines we are working towards in the next 1-3 weeks, expect LOTS of info within that time.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Elimeno

Quote from: ewu on March 17, 2010, 02:04:16 PM
we are here, we are working. there are certain deadlines we are working towards in the next 1-3 weeks, expect LOTS of info within that time.

Thanks Ewu, keep up the good work home skillet biscuit.
Know much about purgatory? It's the world we live in now, and Halloween is the day a damned soul in purgatory can be released into heaven, if he prays hard enough. Say your prayers. - Vincent Volaju

UsakoMinako

Here is something I havn't found any information about:

Is it confirmed that AA is open on Thursday?
What are the running hours for the span of the event?
If it is $20 a day after a certain day, is it $20 an Artist? Or $20 per table?

Thanks for your hard work! ^_^

gwhsanimeclub

I'm gonna have a flood of questions because I've never done any artist alley -related thing before. How long are you allowed to have your table? Is there a specific checkin/checkout time? Is there a time frame/limit (like from 9-6) or do you get the same table the whole weekend at any point? Also, my group (they aren't doing AA, but I want to try it) would not get here until Saturday, which is also the day of the masquerade that we're doing. In other words, if I do get a table, at one point I'd have to leave to check us in (cause I'm the leader) and to do the masquerade. Would that influence doing the Artist alley in any way? Like obviously i would have to leave the table, would I have to break it down and set it up all over again when I leave and get back? Also, this sounds really redundant and I didn't check for other replies about it but... how do you take the money? Does the AA reg people give you like this money box or something, or do you have to bring something yourself?
Also... I read most of the stuff about registering, but is it ok for you to register without emailing first (because I don't have the permit coming in yet) if you're not going with a group? And also, I couldn't find the link on both the website and in this thread as to where or when the registration app comes in.
Uh thanks in advance.  :-[

Althena

I am in no way a staff member. Please do not take these answers as written law for Fanime AA 2010. Hopefully, they will be close to how it will operate.

Quote from: gwhsanimeclub on March 23, 2010, 12:21:29 AM
How long are you allowed to have your table?
There will be set times for when the AA is open. While they normally close the AA after a period. In the past, it has run from Friday-Monday. Otherwise, you generally have your table for the entire convention.

Is there a specific checkin/checkout time?
There usually is one, and those will tables will be informed when it is. It is normally on Friday morning. If you can not make the check-in, the staff wants to know when you can check-in so that your table is not considered a give-away for artists who are on the wait list.

Is there a time frame/limit (like from 9-6) or do you get the same table the whole weekend at any point?
Once you reserve your table, you have it for the entire weekend.

Also, my group (they aren't doing AA, but I want to try it) would not get here until Saturday, which is also the day of the masquerade that we're doing. In other words, if I do get a table, at one point I'd have to leave to check us in (cause I'm the leader) and to do the masquerade. Would that influence doing the Artist alley in any way?
I have never done AA and Masquerade at the same time. From other artists whom I know have, it can get rather tough. Masquerade competition takes up a decent chunk of your day on Saturday. Keep in mind, the AA is going to be open for nearly the whole thing. The Sign in AND the performance.
It is really a choice of yours. There are ways to get around/deal with being in both, and most of the time it involves having friends watch your table, or risk not giving your artwork that exposure to the public during that time.

Like obviously i would have to leave the table, would I have to break it down and set it up all over again when I leave and get back?
I believe that by the time the Masquerade is done, the Alley would be closed. So you would need to break down  your stuff before you left. Again, I've never done the two, but had AA neighbors that did this. In the years past, the AA Staff have made it very clear that they are not liable for lost or stolen goods in the AA. While the AA will be closed, the area will not be on complete lock down. So keeping all of your stuff up is a risk you would have to decide about.

Also, this sounds really redundant and I didn't check for other replies about it but... how do you take the money? Does the AA reg people give you like this money box or something, or do you have to bring something yourself?
You have to provide your own change for the AA. I would suggest having a cash box with about $50 in change. You never know when someone is going to purchase that $2 print with a $20 bill.
You can get cheap cash boxes at thrift stores, or new ones at places like Office Max, Staples or Office Depot.

Also... I read most of the stuff about registering, but is it ok for you to register without emailing first (because I don't have the permit coming in yet) if you're not going with a group?
You will need your seller's permit number in order to register your table. If you have put in the paperwork and have been informed that you will be getting it, you should be able to contact the BOE and at least get your Permit number (Which is what you will need when the registration goes online).

As for the group and e-mailing... E-mailing who is in your group does not guarantee you a spot in the Artist Alley.
**Warning, not confirmed**
If you are unable to register for Artist Alley before tables fill up, you will not get a table, regardless if you are in a group and everyone else got a table. You still will have to register separately.

And also, I couldn't find the link on both the website and in this thread as to where or when the registration app comes in.
The link is currently not up. The staff is still working on getting everything ready for the forms is my guess. If you are interested, you can email artistalley [at] fanime [dot] com and be on the e-mail list, which will inform all artists when the dates of registration are supposed to go up.

Uh thanks in advance.  :-[

Hope that info helps.
here lies everything...the world I wanted at my feet... my victory's complete...

katstar01

My parents run a business and have all the appropriate permits to operate. Would I be able to use their sellers permit and sell stuff in the AA on behalf of their business as an employee?

ewu

Quote from: katstar01 on March 24, 2010, 11:34:32 AM
My parents run a business and have all the appropriate permits to operate. Would I be able to use their sellers permit and sell stuff in the AA on behalf of their business as an employee?

That would be a good question to ask the Board of Equalization as the staff may not be familiar with these nuances of the law, but also feel free to e-mail artistalleyATfanimeDOTcom.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

eec

Strange question.... I am going to AA at Fanime and AnimeExpo this year so I got a temporary seller's permit that goes from May 27 through July 27, 2010 - covering about 2 months. Is this fine ?

eric

ewu

Same answer as above, except, you have already e-mailed AA.

Quote from: ewu on March 24, 2010, 01:18:57 PM
That would be a good question to ask the Board of Equalization as the  Fanime staff may not be familiar with these nuances of the law, but also feel free to e-mail artistalleyATfanimeDOTcom.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom