The COSPLAY HELP ME! Who? Sewing? Buy/Where? Construction? Support thread

Started by BSaphire, February 19, 2010, 03:30:23 PM

octorok

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on February 03, 2013, 10:44:35 PM
If you want sheen, but not too much, and want ease of sewing, I'd look at a nice mid-weight cotton sateen. It is a cotton fiber with a satin weave, so it has sheen, but isn't SHINY like poly satin can be, nor is it slippery like silk or poly can be. It will also give you a nice drape on those sleeves, and will be more screen-accurate than a shinier fabric would be.

I love cotton sateen. I use it pretty often, actually. Here are some examples. (Ignore things like unpressed costumes and messy floors in progress shots...and my face, derp...also, the black dress uses a heavier weight stretch sateen, and the gold uses a lighter weight quilting sateen, with a bonus "wrong" side of satin for the underside of the skirt, with the white applique and tie with the black dress being the "wrong" side of poly dupioni, which as a slight nubby texture)

I think that the weight, drape, and level of sheen would be appropriate. I use it where I want something with lustre and a fancier look without being shiny.

You can also use a dull satin or the "wrong" side of satin. The basic rule of thumb is the lss shiny the fabric, the less slippery it is. And really, with good pinning, and a little practice, it isn't really that difficult to sew a fabric with sheen.

Certain satins tend to fray quite easily, though, so be careful to properly finish your seams. You shouldn't have an issue with a heavier sateen, though.

OMG you're amazing!! Thank you so much! Your cosplays are gorgeous, and I'll definitely look into that cotton sateen stuff!

Nina Star 9

Thank you! Glad I can help.

Both sateens I used were from Joann Fabrics. I'm not entirely happy with the lighter weight sateen used in the gold dress, but it was the only 100% cotton (and thus dyable) sateen that they had. I wouldn't recommend a lightweight quilting sateen unless you needed soemthing quite lightweight and without much sheen at all (or needed to dye the fabric.) The midweight sateen (for the black dress) was in the bottomweight section, and is a stretch sateen, with a bit of spandex mixed in. It comes in fewer shades, and I have not tried using dye on it, so you'd have to experiment if you needed to dye your fabric. This is one that I would use, regardless of the lack of color choice. (I have also made a couple of blazers out of that sateen, but I don't have any photos...I'm sure you get the idea!)

I can't say anything for the quality of sateens at other shops.

octorok

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on February 03, 2013, 11:06:06 PM
Thank you! Glad I can help.

Both sateens I used were from Joann Fabrics. I'm not entirely happy with the lighter weight sateen used in the gold dress, but it was the only 100% cotton (and thus dyable) sateen that they had. I wouldn't recommend a lightweight quilting sateen unless you needed soemthing quite lightweight and without much sheen at all (or needed to dye the fabric.) The midweight sateen (for the black dress) was in the bottomweight section, and is a stretch sateen, with a bit of spandex mixed in. It comes in fewer shades, and I have not tried using dye on it, so you'd have to experiment if you needed to dye your fabric. This is one that I would use, regardless of the lack of color choice. (I have also made a couple of blazers out of that sateen, but I don't have any photos...I'm sure you get the idea!)

I can't say anything for the quality of sateens at other shops.

How much did they cost you, if you don't mind me asking? :V

I was thinking of checking this other store in San Jose called Fabrics R Us because everyone always says it's really cheap. But the Yelp reviews also say that the employees are generally no help at all, and I'm not sure I'll be able to find this fabric on my own if it's not labeled.

Nina Star 9

I get Joann coupons in the mail, which are generally in the 40% off a single cut of fabric range, so that sateen was ~$6/yard, which isn't so bad. Joann isn't a -great- fabric shop, but good for basics, and I have one nearby (out in the suburbs of Sacto, we don't really have many options unless its a large chain...). If you have another store nearby and are confident that you can pick out a good fabric, then go for it, but if you aren't confident, go for a store where things are clearly labeled and employees will help you.

You can try other stores, too, like Hancock or Beverly's, but I don't know their selection as well. Beverly's is really good for cottons generally, but I've never checked out their sateen.

If you are planning on doing a lot of cosplays and are worried about money, get on the mailing lists of a few fabric stores, and they will send you coupons. It really helps cut down on the cost.

Once you get more comfortable with sewing and fabrics, take advantage of that speciality fabric shop, though. I'd love to have something like that at my disposal. *____*

MonsterMonkey44

i'm looking forward to this years fanime and i want to cosplay forsure this year butt huge problem...idk what to be   :-[ can anyone help me out?

i'm 5' 6" 17 and male any suggestions?

also if anyone wants to do a group cosplay thing i'm up for that

Thank You So Much!!

DarkMoonlitStar

Well first I'd start out with choosing one (or more) of your favorite anime, manga, video game, etc. Then from that series figure out which character(s) from that series you'd like to cosplay as and the rest is up to you to decide whether to make it yourself or buy something premade for you.

Otherwise if you want suggestions from other people, I'd suggest giving out some description about your physical appearance (just general stuff of course) so that people can get a general idea of what you look like and make suggestions for you.
"Find yourself, that's the key & I am the only person I can be, myself, that''s me."
2015 Cosplay -tentative-
Shiro- No Game No Life
Koujaku- DraMaticalMurder
Esdese/Esdeath- Akame ga Kiru!
Daiki Aomine-Kuroko no Basuke

CrystalRobot

although it will likely not be at the upcoming Fanime, I wanna learn to sew because I plan on cosplaying Princess Euphemia from Code Geass later this year, and likely at next year's Fanime.

I need to know what materials I'll need, like what fabric I should use and how to go about finding the right pattern to sew with. I'll likely go with her usual outfit, the long white dress with the light purple covering.

I'm planning on going to a cosplay workshop with the club I'm in at school. I don't know when, but it'll be some time in the future. so I'll need to know what I'll need for this cosplay. I've never sewn before.
my deviantART
http://crystalrobot123.deviantart.com/

~I do commissions! Note me at my deviantART page!~

Fanime 2017 Cosplay: TBA

DangerHeart

Hoping someone can help me with a wig question? I always do characters that seem to require no styling at all but this year I'm doing Asuna from Sword Art Online, and was wondering if anyone knows a seller or site that sells wig already styled? Like maybe you'd pay extra for that service? Thank you for any answers!

Dawnshadow

Quote from: MonsterMonkey44 on February 16, 2013, 07:37:10 PM
i'm looking forward to this years fanime and i want to cosplay forsure this year butt huge problem...idk what to be   :-[ can anyone help me out?

i'm 5' 6" 17 and male any suggestions?

also if anyone wants to do a group cosplay thing i'm up for that

Thank You So Much!!

If you can pull off one of the characters correctly and want -possibly- lots of attention from girls (both fans and cosplayers) you can try one of the guys from Hetalia. ;D *hint**hint*

*ahem* However, it'd be more helpful if you posted your favorite anime and such. :3

Cosplays:
Lucario- a few fixes are required (80%)
Itachi- 60% *needs new cloak and wig*
Mystery Pokemon (it's a surprise and I want it debuted here)- 5% or so
Masked Marth- 0% (I doubt I'll get this one done as it has least priority over my money)

TsukiYuu

I'm actually here on the account of my friend _ _ ) ~

He's going to cosplay this guy from Fire Emblem: http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080204074403/fireemblem/images/8/88/Ferd-sothe.jpg

Anyways, he's looking to commission someone to make the orange red belt and the gauntlets. Does anyone know where to find people who can do that or a store that will do it...? ;;

As for me, Does anyone know any cheap wig stores? 8D
I'm looking for: http://www.ewiderbuy.com/akb0048-yuko-oshima-cosplay-wig.html

Would it be cheaper if I just find a brown wig and cut it and stuff? :>
Fanime 2016 cosplay lineup!

~Kamui from Fire Emblem
~Hana from Prison School
~Umaru from Himouto Umaru chan

Xia

I'm doing a cosplay that requires a dress shirt to be bloodstained mostly along the back. Does anyone know what is the best material I can use to make (dried) blood look as realistic as possible? Preferably so it doesn't end up pink. I am okay with having permanent stains on this shirt I'm using.

Dawnshadow

Maybe enough red food coloring mixed with syrup? It dries pretty convincingly and is pretty cheap.
Cosplays:
Masked Marth- 0% (I doubt I'll get this one done as it has least priority over my money)

Xia

Quote from: Dawnshadow on February 25, 2013, 11:48:58 PM
Maybe enough red food coloring mixed with syrup? It dries pretty convincingly and is pretty cheap.

I would have never thought of that. Poked around searches for syrup blood and I've seen people say it really does a convincing work. I'm surprised I didn't see those ideas when I initially searched. Thanks!

Dawnshadow

Quote from: Xia on February 26, 2013, 05:07:55 PM
Quote from: Dawnshadow on February 25, 2013, 11:48:58 PM

I would have never thought of that. Poked around searches for syrup blood and I've seen people say it really does a convincing work. I'm surprised I didn't see those ideas when I initially searched. Thanks!

You're welcome. :3

I only learned about it when one of my friends was applying it for her costume. (it was one of the once with blood dripping from the mouth. That would have tasted dreadful if it was legit fake blood. YUCK!)
Cosplays:

AuroraDreamer

Anyone know where to buy Miku and Gumi contact for my Matryoshka cosplay?

King Shu

... I think I posted this in the right forum? >.<

So I'm sewing a Female Roxas cosplay this year based on Roxas' casual clothes from the beginning of KH2, and I think I've figured out how to do mostly everything. Except for those darn checkers on Roxas' jacket.

I can't seem to find any good checkered ribbon or fabric that I could just sew on. For now my best idea is to cut a bunch of little black squares and sew/glue them on, but that is going to take forever.

Any other suggestions?

Rhoswen

Hi there! this may be a bit small but I found this: they sell it in a yard to 20 yard rolls
http://www.awesomeevent.com/Checkered-Ribbon-P589.aspx
hope I helped you ^.^
Stars cannot shine without Darkness.

King Shu

Thanks. =) I only need a row of two checkers though. I'm worried that if I cut two rows out of a larger piece of ribbon the edges will fray too much before I can get it on the jacket... But it looks cheap enough that I could test it out to see how well the ribbon holds together.

AJ_627

I was wondering if i can find a place where i can get my costume sewn together. I'm willing to cut up the fabric and everything, I'm just not willing to sew nor do i own a sewing machine.

MaigoLily

Quote from: xSvenja on December 03, 2012, 10:03:24 PM
Can anyone give any suggestions on how to make Judal's bracelets and necklace? (The Labyrinth of Magic or Magi) I want to make them easy to slip on and off but also accurate to the character. any suggestions?

I would make a base arm cuff bracelet or whatever it's called out of craft foam then glue gold painted plastic tubes you can find at hardware supply stores (remember to make them small but not too small) onto the base then in the back have velcro flaps hidden under the craft foam base for easy removal. Add some fabric there for comfort if you need it (so the velcro does not scratch you). The same for the necklace then have even smaller tubing for around the gem and find the jem at a craft store or make your own out of resin which I am no expert in.
Because it is made out of tubing and foam, it is easier to move in, do expect stiff arms and neck though.