Sneaking in.....

Started by amaya_JDB, March 11, 2010, 11:55:20 AM

amaya_JDB

I have a rice cooker and an extra microwave, and I'm wondering if there's a way to sneak those into the Fairmont.....

.....or would they not really care if I brought it in?
Occupation: Musician/singer/nurse/student/cashier/cosplayer/otaku/poet/writer/cook/lover/gamer/artist/maniac/woman/foodie/DDRist
In other words, I'm one busy mofo!

Fanime 2012 Cosplays:
Kagome (Inuyasha) <all weekend>

Moonblossom

I don't know about the Fairmont specifically, but most hotels don't mind. So long as you're not bringing in a hot plate or something that could start a fire, they're usually okay with it. Your best bet would be to ask first.

Something like a microwave is going to be very difficult to hide from housekeeping, so you should make sure it's okay first.

Stythys

huh? can't you just keep the 'do not disturb' thing on your door when you go out? that's what I did last year.
"We should not be less than what we are."

Moonblossom

If you don't mind never getting your sheets changed or having clean towels, I suppose there's no reason you couldn't.

However if I'm on vacation, I enjoy little luxuries like clean linens XD So not letting housekeeping in would not occur to me.

FanFicGuru

I'm just wondering why go through the hassle for a 3-4 day stay? The rice cooker, maybe...but a microwave? *shrug*
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Dany

Quote from: Moonblossom on March 11, 2010, 02:59:22 PM
If you don't mind never getting your sheets changed or having clean towels, I suppose there's no reason you couldn't.

However if I'm on vacation, I enjoy little luxuries like clean linens XD So not letting housekeeping in would not occur to me.

You're not necessarily stuck with being unable to get any room service at all. You can usually call the front desk for clean towels if you need them at any time of the day, which is helpful if you've missed the way-too-early-sometimes housekeeping call (or gave them the shoo-away).

As for sheets...a lot of hotels will only change your sheets if you ask them to now, as an environmental gesture (less sheets to wash = less water and electricity used). There's usually a card in the room that you can use to indicate if you want a sheet change.  Towels can also go on a plan: if it's hanging, it's left, if it's on the floor, it's taken away and replaced.

Not sure what of the Fanime hotels incorporate this practice..I'm guessing the Hilton might because it seems to be common in the Doubletree in San Jose (which is where BayCon and a few other conventions are hold), and Doubletree/Hilton are now connected.

But back to the situation: my -guess- is that so long as your microwave and rice cooker are small (as in dorm-size), you should have no problem. If you're really worried, put them in the closet when not in use. Housekeeping tends to not bother with the closet; their focus is the bathrooms and beds, and whatever else the hotel states they have to take care for and restock during their run.

2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

amaya_JDB

Quote from: FanFicGuru on March 11, 2010, 04:39:23 PM
I'm just wondering why go through the hassle for a 3-4 day stay? The rice cooker, maybe...but a microwave? *shrug*

Don't ask me. I can live my life with just rice. My fiance and my friends apparently need the microwave for, say, Easy Mac, soups, etc.

I'm fine with just rice and tuna with soy sauce. Grew up eating that and never go back ^^
Occupation: Musician/singer/nurse/student/cashier/cosplayer/otaku/poet/writer/cook/lover/gamer/artist/maniac/woman/foodie/DDRist

Fanime 2012 Cosplays:

amaya_JDB

Damn it.
I talked with Fairmont and, and they said that BOTH rice cooker and microwave are both against their fire code, so I can't bring it.
I can understand the microwave, but......rice cooker too?? oy.....

Fanime 2012 Cosplays:

Moonblossom

Quote from: Dany on March 11, 2010, 04:42:59 PM

You're not necessarily stuck with being unable to get any room service at all. You can usually call the front desk for clean towels if you need them at any time of the day, which is helpful if you've missed the way-too-early-sometimes housekeeping call (or gave them the shoo-away).

As for sheets...a lot of hotels will only change your sheets if you ask them to now, as an environmental gesture (less sheets to wash = less water and electricity used). There's usually a card in the room that you can use to indicate if you want a sheet change.  Towels can also go on a plan: if it's hanging, it's left, if it's on the floor, it's taken away and replaced.

Not sure what of the Fanime hotels incorporate this practice..I'm guessing the Hilton might because it seems to be common in the Doubletree in San Jose (which is where BayCon and a few other conventions are hold), and Doubletree/Hilton are now connected.

But back to the situation: my -guess- is that so long as your microwave and rice cooker are small (as in dorm-size), you should have no problem. If you're really worried, put them in the closet when not in use. Housekeeping tends to not bother with the closet; their focus is the bathrooms and beds, and whatever else the hotel states they have to take care for and restock during their run.

The Hilton does use that green policy, but I go out of my way to request them. I've got severe dust allergies and change my sheets at home several times a week. If I'm traveling, I generally request new linens every day because I am a sucker for crisp, clean sheets and if I'm paying to stay there, I may as well take advantage of the service.

Dany

Quote from: Moonblossom on March 11, 2010, 05:41:14 PM
Quote from: Dany on March 11, 2010, 04:42:59 PM

The Hilton does use that green policy, but I go out of my way to request them. I've got severe dust allergies and change my sheets at home several times a week. If I'm traveling, I generally request new linens every day because I am a sucker for crisp, clean sheets and if I'm paying to stay there, I may as well take advantage of the service.

Allergies are definitely a good excuse to go the daily route ;) And there is nothing schmancier than new sheets, I will certainly agree ;)

Dany

Quote from: amaya_JDB on March 11, 2010, 05:35:32 PM
Damn it.
I talked with Fairmont and, and they said that BOTH rice cooker and microwave are both against their fire code, so I can't bring it.
I can understand the microwave, but......rice cooker too?? oy.....

It is understandable. Anything that generates heat is technically a fire risk, but some things are riskier than others, especially if they have no emergency shut-off mechanism and the hotel doesn't standardize it in their rooms.  Another thing that may not be something they will be up-front about: anything that prepares food keeps you away from spending money in room service and their restaraunts.  So fire code is the first and publically acceptable answer, but no less correct would be the "we want your food money" theory.

jacktchance

If you can't live without rice, I suggest bringing a hotpot and the precooked rice that they sell at Korean markets.

InsaneChan

A standard Fairmont room supposedly comes with a coffeemaker, which should be ideal for boiling water. So for instant foods (Ramen, EasyMac, etc), you're already covered. At least, it's what their website is saying, and I myself am counting on it.
Love. Life. fANIME.

Dany

Quote from: InsaneChan on March 11, 2010, 11:38:03 PM
A standard Fairmont room supposedly comes with a coffeemaker, which should be ideal for boiling water. So for instant foods (Ramen, EasyMac, etc), you're already covered. At least, it's what their website is saying, and I myself am counting on it.

Wow, I totally forgot about that! I've done tea and sometimes oatmeal that way before it was more common to provide tea in the room (coffe and I are not the best of friends).  The only thing is how big the pot is...I want to say it's about 5 cups, half of what a standard coffee maker brews, which is usually around 10.  I don't think it's less than four though.

amaya_JDB

Quote from: jacktchance on March 11, 2010, 08:26:00 PM
If you can't live without rice, I suggest bringing a hotpot and the precooked rice that they sell at Korean markets.
Holy crap I forgot about those. Every single time I see them I just pass it without thinking about it.

Thanks ^^

Fanime 2012 Cosplays:

amaya_JDB

Quote from: Dany on March 12, 2010, 07:37:27 AM
Quote from: InsaneChan on March 11, 2010, 11:38:03 PM

Wow, I totally forgot about that! I've done tea and sometimes oatmeal that way before it was more common to provide tea in the room (coffe and I are not the best of friends).  The only thing is how big the pot is...I want to say it's about 5 cups, half of what a standard coffee maker brews, which is usually around 10.  I don't think it's less than four though.

oops, i forgot that coffeepots boil water. And here I was thinking about bringing my electric kettle.

I didn't know there's Easy Mac like that though. I thought it only came in microwave, not water only.

Fanime 2012 Cosplays:

michiko nakano

yeah they have lots of things that previously needed microwaves but now only need hot water.  last year in our hotel room, we made oatmeal, tea, coffee, ramen, cup-o-noodles... yeah.  you could always experiment with making rice in the coffee pot at home, or with an electric kettle...

...or you could bring foods that don't require cooking.  there's a food list here: http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,10753.msg364948.html#msg364948 and also if you have any suggestions, please post them and i'll add to the list.

amaya_JDB

Quote from: michiko nakano on March 13, 2010, 05:47:12 PM
yeah they have lots of things that previously needed microwaves but now only need hot water.  last year in our hotel room, we made oatmeal, tea, coffee, ramen, cup-o-noodles... yeah.  you could always experiment with making rice in the coffee pot at home, or with an electric kettle...

...or you could bring foods that don't require cooking.  there's a food list here: http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,10753.msg364948.html#msg364948 and also if you have any suggestions, please post them and i'll add to the list.
oh wow, I've been looking for something like this everywhere.

Thanks very much.

Fanime 2012 Cosplays:

michiko nakano

Quote from: amaya_JDB on March 14, 2010, 08:38:19 PM
Quote from: michiko nakano on March 13, 2010, 05:47:12 PM

oh wow, I've been looking for something like this everywhere.

Thanks very much.
you are most welcome!  glad to be helpful  :D

Lolita_Girl123

Quote from: FanFicGuru on March 11, 2010, 04:39:23 PM