Sneaking in.....

Started by amaya_JDB, March 11, 2010, 11:55:20 AM

EJAY420

i think its a good way to save money. i dont know about bringing a microwave. i was pretty shocked when i saw a rice cooker at first...but then it grew on me. maybe that can happen to the microwave this time.
Most Impressive.

kamisamabunny

welp, because you need rice (and i'm bored)
i'm going to attempt to find a solution for you.
minute rice makes "ready to serve" microwaveable cups of rice.
however, we have a problem with no microwave
but... we have a coffee pot (i've already experimented with my coffee pot, making pasta, ramen, and cooking an instant cheese sauce utilizing a small metal cup and the hot pot portion of it)
so, i'm gonna try to cook the rice by just pouring in the hot water.
if it works, it works, if not, i'll nuke it and not bring any to fanime.
All I want is "you", whoever you turn out to be <3

kamisamabunny

minute rice:
first i've opened the package, 1/2 the way.
meanwhile i've put some water in the coffee pot.

water going into cup. 12:23

the cups are of a pretty much pre made rice, so i didn't put a lot of water.. will check it in 2 mins
put the lid back on btw...

12:26. drained hot water

rice is sub par... pretty lame actually
but.. okay in a major pinch!
All I want is "you", whoever you turn out to be <3

kingsnake

This won't help you this year but for future reference, you can request a microwave at the Hilton for about $25. They go fast though so if you don't nab one the first night you won't get one. I can't imagine they'd have trouble with you bringing items like that.

Lizchan33

Quote from: kingsnake on May 23, 2010, 09:28:31 PM
This won't help you this year but for future reference, you can request a microwave at the Hilton for about $25. They go fast though so if you don't nab one the first night you won't get one. I can't imagine they'd have trouble with you bringing items like that.
That is AWESOME to know that's for the insight

otakuya

When I first saw the title of Sneaking In, I thought it was going places without a badge.

Tony

Quote from: Otakuya on May 23, 2010, 11:48:39 PM
When I first saw the title of Sneaking In, I thought it was going places without a badge.
This thread would have progressed much differently in that case.  ;D

Again, guys... you realize that hotel representatives read these forums, right? You should probably check with them before attempting to sneak in stuff - who knows, maybe they'll be ok with it. Otherwise... don't expect that "do not disturb" sign to actually stop them from checking your room - it won't, if they're after you...
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

monotone

About sneaking in a rice cooker and a microwave... The best solution is, don't do it. Hotel staff WILL know that you have them there. Even if you have the "Do not Disturb" sign up all weekend, room service is still allowed to go into your room (especially if they suspect something funky is going on.) Besides that, if you cook food in the room, the smell lingers once you leave. And you can get charged for it after you leave.

Not to mention, it creates a bad bad image for Fanime goers. We want the hotels to like us, remember.
Fanime Rovers
Callsign: Zombie

FanFicGuru

For me, there seems to  be a fine line between being frugal and being downright cheap. It's a convention, and it's something that you save money to do. If you're going to go through the trouble of saving for a hotel room, save another 50-100 bucks for food. Chances are you won't need it all anyways, but you won't have to worry about pulling a MacGyver with the room's coffee pot, a filter and a package of ramen.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Kender

Quote from: kingsnake on May 23, 2010, 09:28:31 PM

Woah, wait, they're charging for them now?  They must have just recently implemented this since it's always been free since I first started staying at the Hilton in 2004 and was still free last year.  The only catch was that they were incredibly limited.  I'm really disappointed if they're charging now.
"We don't stop playing because we grow old.  We grow old because we stop playing."

darkkako

The fairmont turning the rice cooker down is a bit odd. My group stayed in the fairmont, visibly brought a rice-cooker with us, and the hotel didn't say a word.

ShinoBee

So I talked to this cool dude that worked at the hotel that was helping my group put our baggage in our car, and apparently they get in to the convention for free because they work there.

Maybe in two years I'll go to SJSU and work at Hilton or Marriot.

I love my Piggie! :D

michiko nakano

On the subject of rice cookers and hotpots and other such heating devices, I have a question about camping stoves.

I'm talking about the little backpacking stoves, with the fuel canister and the little tripod flame thingy and you have a little pot to cook food in... my vocabulary is failing me.  let me find a picture.

here we go!  http://www.trailjournals.com/images/gear/tjgear_1064_121602_4140.jpg

one of these.  will it set off the fire alarm?  there's no way to open the hotel windows... so if you used this little stove in the hotel room... would chaos happen?  I would never forgive myself if I set off the fire alarm.

if they wouldn't be good for the hotel, i'd consider using it at the park or something to heat up soup... is that legal though? 

Kyra_Maverick

I would highly avoid bringing anything with an open flame into the hotel room. As for legality of using a camping stove in the park... I don't know about the park downtown, but most big parks have a camping/cooking section. I doubt it would be a big problem to use it around there.

Tony

Open flame...? Absolutely not. Those are meant to be used outdoors, not anywhere enclosed with lots of flammable material nearby. Excellent chance of setting off a fire alarm with something like that, if not catching the place on fire.
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

Freedom Op666

Quote from: amaya_JDB on March 11, 2010, 05:35:32 PM
Damn it.
I talked with Fairmont and, and they said that BOTH rice cooker and microwave are both against their fire code, so I can't bring it.
I can understand the microwave, but......rice cooker too?? oy.....

Heh heh. Oops. For the past two years my room mates have been bringing a toaster oven and a small refrigerator to the Marriott as well as the Fairmont. And we haven't gotten any flack for it. ^_^;
Hit me up on any of my accounts.

ewu

Quote from: Freedom Op666 on June 27, 2010, 06:20:09 PM
Heh heh. Oops. For the past two years my room mates have been bringing a toaster oven and a small refrigerator to the Marriott as well as the Fairmont. And we haven't gotten any flack for it. ^_^;

Don't do it. You may not get caught, but housekeeping notices and worse, it may cause a fire. You may or may not need to deal with these things, but it definitely sours FanimeCon's relationship with the hotels and leads to things like the Fanime waiver, not as cool discounted rates, hotel staff crackdowns, and a general loss of good will and the good working relationship that Fanime has with the hotels.

Again...DON'T DO IT!

yah, Locked.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom