Shonen Jump Cosplay Checkers 2011 Event *1/18*

Started by BSaphire, March 15, 2010, 10:04:35 AM

BSaphire

Ok Cosplayers, ready to play "human" checkers? Come out and join us in Shonen Jump cosplay checkers games!

As of 1/18/2011 the Shonen Jump Cosplay Checkers games are cancelled. We may do one game for Jump peeps if they wish to do it... DAY TIME & LOCATION TBA if it happens and will be posted in the Shonen Jump Gathering Thread.

Thank you
BSaphire

Games:
Game #1: Jump vs. Jump
Game #2:
Game #3:
Game #4:
Game #5:
Anyone can come and watch!

Here is what you do if you are interested in participating:
Post what role (cosplay piece or board player) and which games you would like to do (Game #1, #3 etc.) then list the character & title you will be cosplaying :P  If you are interested in joining into the Red vs. Blue (#2) game then click on the thread link by the team below and check it out!

If you are cosplaying from a Jump title please say so and you will be listed on the "Jump" side. :) That's all you have to do and I will add you to the list. Now let's get the checkers "Jumping" and fill up what we have!

~Here is All the 411:~
Shonen Jump Gathering~ http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,4426.0.html
How to play Checkers: ~ Post #2 on this thread ~

Jump Checkers Games Info:
Day: Sunday
Time: TBA

Pictures from 2010:
BrightHeart76 ~ http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/SlrSparks/Fanime%202010/?start=20

Game 1 sign ups: (team color to be determined by coin toss)

Board game players 1 & 2:
#1:
#2:

Cosplayer Pieces 1-24:

Game 2 sign ups: (team color to be determined by coin toss)

#1:
#2:

Cosplayer Pieces 1-24:

Game 3 sign ups: (team color to be determined by coin toss)
#1:
#2:

12 JUMP pieces:

12 cosplayer pieces:

Game 4 sign ups: (team color to be determined by coin toss)

Board Players:

Cosplayer Pieces 1 -24:

Game 5 sign ups: (team color to be determined by coin toss)

Board Players:

Cosplayer Pieces 1 -24:

Fanime will be taking group pictures during the Gathering/Event this year. If you do not want to be included in those pictures please step aside for those photos. By remaining with the group when the pictures are being taken you give your consent to be photographed.
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC

BSaphire

HOW TO PLAY CHECKERS

Difficulty: Easy
Time Required: 15 - 20 minutes of game play
Set-up time: 5-10 minutes to get all pieces (cosplayer included) in place and starter is determined

Here's How:
1.   Checkers is played by two players. Each player begins the game with 12 pieces. There are 12 pieces of one color and 12 pieces of another color usually black.

2.   The board consists of 64 squares, alternating between 32 dark and 32 light squares. It is positioned so that each player has a light square on the right side corner closest to him or her.

3.   Each player places his or her pieces on the 12 dark squares closest to him or her.

4.   Black moves first. Players then alternate moves. (color is determined by coin toss)

5.   Moves are allowed only on the dark squares, so pieces always move diagonally. Single pieces are always limited to forward moves (toward the opponent).

6.   A piece making a non-capturing move (not involving a jump) may move only one square.

7.   A piece making a capturing move (a jump) leaps over one of the opponent's pieces, landing in a straight diagonal line on the other side. Only one piece may be captured in a single jump; however, multiple jumps are allowed on a single turn. (see "Jumps" below)

8.   When a piece is captured, it is removed from the board.

9.   If a player is able to make a capture, there is no option -- the jump must be made. If more than one capture is available, the player is free to choose whichever he or she prefers. (See "Jumps" below)

10.   When a piece reaches the furthest row from the player who controls that piece, it is crowned and becomes a king. One of the pieces which had been captured is placed on top of the king so that it is twice as high as a single piece. (Cosplayer piece is given a crown to show that they are the "kinged" piece)

11.   Kings are limited to moving diagonally, but may move both forward and backward. (Remember that single pieces, i.e. non-kings, are always limited to forward moves.)

12.   Kings may combine jumps in several directions -- forward and backward -- on the same turn. Single pieces may shift direction diagonally during a multiple capture turn, but must always jump forward (toward the opponent).

13.   A player wins the game when the opponent cannot make a move. In most cases, this is because all of the opponent's pieces have been captured, but it could also be because all of his pieces are blocked in.

Further Explanations:
The Board:  The checkerboard has 64 alternating light and dark squares. The game is played on the dark squares.

Pieces:  Each player starts out with 12 playing pieces. One player has light colored pieces and the other has dark pieces (called "black" ). Each player starts with their pieces laid out on the 12 dark squares nearest him or her.

First Move:  The player with the black pieces moves first. Randomly determine who gets the black pieces first. To be determined by coin toss.

Time Limits:  2 minutes max are allowed for each move. In the case where there is only one possible jump available, the player has only one minute in which to make it. The player needs to be made aware that the time limit has been reached. Then, if the player still has not moved after another minute, that player loses the game.

Touching Pieces: 
Before the first move is made, either player can adjust the position of any piece on the board. After the first move, no player can adjust any piece without "intimation." In other words, you just need to say you're going to adjust a piece before you do it. The player who adjusts a piece without intimation can be warned for the first offense, but will forfeit the game on the second offense.

If the player whose move it is touches a piece that can be played, the player must move that piece or forfeit the game.

If any part of a playable piece is moved over the angle of its square, the piece must be played in that direction.

When the player's hand is withdrawn from the board, the move is ended.

Jumps: 

A piece cannot jump over empty squares.
Every opportunity to jump must be taken.
In the case where there are different jump sequences available, the player may chose which sequence to make, whether it results in the most pieces being taken or not.
Single pieces cannot jump backwards.
Kings:  When a player's piece lands in one of the squares at the far end of the board, its move ends there and it becomes a king.
A king is allowed to move or jump in any of the four diagonal directions within the limits of the board.
A king cannot jump over one of the player's own pieces.

Win or Draw:  A player wins by either capturing all of the other player's pieces or putting them into a position where they cannot move. A player can also win if the other player resigns or forfeits the game as a result of a violation of the rules.

A game is declared a draw when neither player can force a win.

Conduct of Players:
After it is decided who makes the first move, neither player is allowed to leave the board without the permission from the other player.

Neither player is allowed to distract the other. Examples include making signs or sounds, pointing, and unnecessary delays when moving a piece that has been touched.

A player who annoys the other player must be warned. On the second offense, the player forfeits the game.

BSaphire
Founder:
AC   DC

BSaphire

BSaphire
Founder:
AC   DC

roth14

So we just sign up here then (don't see anyone else)? Well I'll be there as female Naruto. If that isn't JUMP enough then I will be Sakura instead. :)

lunarknight

So do you sign up here or at the convention as a board game player?

BSaphire

@roth14:Female Naruto is perfectly fine. Do you want to be a cosplay piece or a board player and which game were you looking to participate in?

@ lunarknight: Yes you sign up here and which game did you wish to be a board player in? Also, what character and what is it from?
BSaphire
Founder:
AC   DC

Somebody

I don't know if my schedule will conflict, but I'm hoping to join in on the third cosplay checkers game if time provides.
I'll be cosplaying as China (Wang Yao) from Hetalia: Axis Powers (one of the random cospeep board players of course). (If I can't make it after all someone can just hop in my place or something right? I don't want to cause problems or anything. D:)
Cosplay 2013
Friday night: RWBY (incomplete)
Saturday morning: Arrietty
Sunday afternoon: Ruby w/ Adam (RWBY, no scythe)
Monday: Arrietty

lunarknight

Well if I am able too I would like to participate in the first game. I think I might come as Aono Tsukune from Rosario+Vampire as a board player

But if something goes wrong I might just end up as a cosplay piece in the third game cosplayed as Ryuho from Scryed

BSaphire

The list is updated! Please check where you are listed and if any changes need to be done please let me know.
squidge
B
BSaphire
Founder:
AC   DC

BrightHeart76

Here is who I have for Naruto pieces so far.  

TokenBlackGuy~ Anbu Black Ops
Shinigami_Lover~ Sasuke
Shinigami_Lover's friend~ Sakura
Shinigami_Lover's friend~ Naruto
Eliteslayer~ Kakuzu
luluuxduplica1223~ TenTen (Kimono)  (MAYBE)
luluuxduplica1223's friend~ Sakura (Kimono)  (MAYBE)
ElvenAracher~ Neji
Brightheart76~ Tsunade

Hope that helps.   ;D

*Modified because I forgot to mention who people were cosplaying as...oops.
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

DarkMoonlitStar

I'll join the 1st and/or 3rd game as Lenalee from D Gray Man
"Find yourself, that's the key & I am the only person I can be, myself, that''s me."
2015 Cosplay -tentative-
Shiro- No Game No Life
Koujaku- DraMaticalMurder
Esdese/Esdeath- Akame ga Kiru!
Daiki Aomine-Kuroko no Basuke

BSaphire

I updated the list! Go team Naruto! Where is the Bleach team? :P
BSaphire
Founder:
AC   DC

Somebody

I've gotten word that I have another in my group hoping to join the third game on the random cospeep team. He'll be coming as Dr. Stein from Soul Eater~ Hope this is okay!
Cosplay 2013
Friday night: RWBY (incomplete)
Saturday morning: Arrietty
Sunday afternoon: Ruby w/ Adam (RWBY, no scythe)
Monday: Arrietty

BSaphire

BSaphire
Founder:
AC   DC

ICosplayNeji

Man this is going to be so much fun!

Hm, yeah, where ARE all the Bleach peeps?

BunofGovt

Quote from: BSaphire on March 15, 2010, 10:05:19 AM
10.   When a piece reaches the furthest row from the player who controls that piece, it is crowned and becomes a king. One of the pieces which had been captured is placed on top of the king so that it is twice as high as a single piece. (Cosplayer piece is given a crown to show that they are the "kinged" piece)

Although this could be hilarious with people riding on each other's backs or shoulders (thinking of Kenpachi and Yachiru from Bleach), certainly the crowns are a safer idea.  ;)
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

BSaphire

Quote from: BunofGovt on March 27, 2010, 03:48:39 AM
Quote from: BSaphire on March 15, 2010, 10:05:19 AM

Although this could be hilarious with people riding on each other's backs or shoulders (thinking of Kenpachi and Yachiru from Bleach), certainly the crowns are a safer idea.  ;)
I know that it would make some WONDERFUL photo ops if we could do it the other way, but the crowns are the safer way to go. So... are you going to play? and what about you ICosplayNeji? There is room for both of you :P
BSaphire
Founder:
AC   DC

BunofGovt

Hai, please count me in the first game as a piece.  I'll be in my Zenzo Hattori (Gintama) outfit most probably.
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

Cailany

Good thing we won't have to carry someone. Though funny, id kill myself by the end xD

This will be my first one, so I'll definitely join the 2nd game as Akatsuki Sasuke.
See how it goes and I may join the 1st and/or 3rd also.

yukaze

Hi B! I should be in for either the Shounen Jump or Bleach vs Naruto game as Anbu Captain