~The event is now closed. Keep up with us on Facebook or Twitter for the prelim winners, finals, and next years event~
The is the Official Information page for the World Cosplay Summit Preliminaries. If you have any questions at all, please ask them here, or message me with your questions. It's a self-run panel this year that I will be in charge of. It is independent from the cosplay department, and it does not affect the FanimeCon Masquerade in any way.
Please read everything very carefully. INFORMATIONWhen
: Sunday, May 30th from 1030AM to 3PM (for audition times)Where
: The prelims will be located in the San Jose Convention Center (SJCC) Room F [Second Floor (Exhibit Level) of the SJCC, on the Hilton Side]Audition Format:
Your group will be given a time to audition. If you have a specific time you need for your audition, let us know when you send in your resume [resume info below]. We want all the groups to stay through the auditions to watch and cheer on your peers, but if you cannot stay we need to know in advance. If you would like a friend or small group to watch your performance or help preparing/help with your costume, also let us know in advance. We have limited space in the room.The winners should be announced between 3 and 3:30PM Sunday, same location.Official WCS Site: http://www.tv-aichi.co.jp/wcs/e/FanimeCon Specific Rules
- Preliminary specific rules
1. This audition is open to all FanimeCon 2010 badge holders that fall under the classification of amateur cosplayer. No professionals allowed.
*If you do not have you FanimeCon badge with you upon audition time, you maybe not participate [You don't necessarily need to be wearing it for the audition, but you must have it with you.]
2. The group will consist of two people.
*It is very strongly suggested that both members be in costumes from the same series
*The costumes must be anime, video game, or manga inspired [See WCS rules on costumes below for further info]
*You may enter the preliminaries with costumes from Shueisha series (ie: Bleach, One Piece, Naruto, etc.) but you will not be able to use the same skit and costumes for the finals.
3. The judging will consist of performance and craftsmanship judging [Please see WCS rules below for point breakdown]
* The skit will need to be a maximum of 3 minutes
* It needs to be prerecorded and on CD
4. For your group to be in the event, we require a resume for your group sign up and pick an audition time [one resume per member]
*Specific Times given priority to those who sent in the resumes and request it first.
*The resume needs to include
Full Legal Name:
Date of Birth:
Contact Phone Number:
US Passport Number:
Costume and series intended for prelims:
History of Costumes and Awards (include the convention):
Send four costume photos of your favorite costumes you've made with descriptionsSend your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
5. You must abide by FanimeCon's Weapons policy. If you have questions about the weapons policy, please contact email@example.comWCS 2010 Participation Regulations
- Official Event Rules from the WCS site for the Preliminaries and Finals (minor edits)
The World Cosplay Summit constitutes the Cosplay Parade, the Cosplay Championship, and other related promotional activities. Rules on Participation in the Cosplay Summit
1. Each country will be represented by one team of two cosplayers. The team must be in costumes from the same series.
2. The costumes must be from Japanese anime, manga and video games.
*Doujinshi and unique characters from live action movies based on anime or manga are not permitted. (ie: Dragonball Evolution, etc.)
*When doing a costume from a game, the character must be recognizably Japanese. (ie: not a Disney or Star Wars character even though the game may be made in Japan).
*In the preliminaries, you may audition with costumes from Shueisha (ie: Bleach, One Piece, Naruto, etc.), but if the team makes it to the finals, the series costumes must be changed.
3. Cosplay costumes are to be hand-made. Pre-/ready-made costumes are not allowed.
*It is permissible for family and friends to help with costumes, but basically it is preferable that costumes are hand-made by the contestants themselves.
4. You must be able to come to Japan for about one week from the end of July to early August for the World Cosplay Summit.
5. You should be aged 18 and over when you come to Japan.
*If you are under 18, you must have the consent of a guardian. Participation is allowed if you have the permission of a guardian and are able to come to Japan on your own.
6. You should cooperate in a positive manner in order to ensure the success of the World Cosplay Summit.
7. When the sponsor (TV Aichi) asks for documents (i.e. passport application, official documentation etc.) related to the World Cosplay Summit, please prepare and submit them as quickly as possible.
8. Media such as TV programs, internet homepages, newspapers, magazines, etc., may use your pictures and images of the preliminary contests prior to the World Cosplay Summit. On these occasions, compensation will not be furnished.
9. All image rights in all media exposure such as news from TV programs and other assorted media involved with the World Cosplay Summit, promotional activities in the print media as well as events and performances, announcements of the Cosplay Summit both prior to the summit and during your stay in Japan, will be attributed to TV Aichi.
10. After the World Cosplay Summit has finished, images/footage of cosplayers, photographs, programs broadcast, internet homepages and DVDs etc., come under the jurisdiction of TV Aichi. Compensation will not be furnished for such images used by the media. (Your signature will be required on an acceptance form regarding this matter.) Preparation: Rules and Warnings
1. You are required to bring three costumes to Japan: one for the parade, one for the championship, and one for media appearances. [There was an amendment to this. Two is absolute minimum: one for the championship, one for media + parade. I recommend three however]
2. In the Cosplay Championship, please make sure the costumes of the characters in which both of you will appear are from the same Japanese manga or anime or video game
* It is not necessary to coordinate costumes for the parade.
3. Equipment and props for the Cosplay Championship performance are limited to those of a size that 2 representative cosplayers and 1 organizer are able to carry on their own at one time to the venue. Only 3 people are able to prepare the performance backstage.
4. It is not permitted to directly copy original drawings or logos to your equipment or props.
5. You are required to bear the cost of any overweight luggage charges when shipping costumes and other items. It is possible to send them to Japan by air or ship beforehand, but again you are to bear any costs incurred yourselves.
6. Please prepare your own music for your performance. A performance sheet stating what you will perform is to be submitted in advance.
*Please note that the use of the voice(s) of the original voice actor(s) for the music is prohibited.
*Please send your music on a CD.
7. Please send the documents and CD one month prior to the date of the Cosplay Championship.
*Material for submission: performance sheet, original images of the characters, costume construction report and CD.
*Please send these as soon as possible after the preliminary round especially the if date of the preliminary round is close to the Championship.Other Regulations for the Championship
1. The performance at the Championship can be the same as the performance given in the preliminary round, but if it is the same, your performance should be augmented to a level appropriate for the Championship.
2. Please strictly adhere to the time limit of 3 minutes.
The 3 minutes includes the setting up of any equipment/props on stage up to the end of the performance. If the performance is too long and goes over the 3 minute limit, points will be deducted.
3. Only the 2 representative cosplayers, an organizer, and an interpreter are permitted to enter the backstage area of the Championship.
4. The organizer and WCS staff or any other person is not permitted to help you during your performance on stage (2 members of
the stage staff will help you to set up your equipment/props on stage).
5. It is possible to scatter things onstage during your performance, but staining, marking or damaging the stage in any way is prohibited. Anything that takes time to clean up on stage is also not allowed.
6. It is prohibited to take your performance into the audience area.
7. Using fire is prohibited.
8. The order of performances is decided by a draw after your arrival in Japan.Judging Criteria for the Championship
Each judge of the cosplay championship can award 10 points for costume, 10 points for performance, and 5 points for faithfulness to the original work, for a maximum total of 25 points.
1. Performance (10 points): level of performance, inventiveness, entertainment.
2. Costume (10 points): design, faithfulness to the original characters costume.
3. Fidelity to Original (5 points): level of faithfulness of the performance towards the original story and characters.This is the official prize list for the winning contestants!
1st Place: Trip to Japan for the finals + $450
2nd Place: $800
3rd Place: $500
4th Place: $150
5th Place: $150
6th Place: $150
7th Place: $150
8th Place: $150
9th Place: Neko Planet Prize Pack
10th Place: Neko Planet Prize Pack
The World Cosplay Summit approached Kyle of Cosplay.com about prize support and he graciously donated gift certificates for the US prelims. A big thanks to Kyle!
Neko Planet will also be donating the 9th and 10th place prizes. http://www.nekoplanetclothing.com/
There is also an official Facebook page for the US side of the event: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/World-Cosplay-Summit-Preliminaries-United-States/122191194459337
and Twitter: https://twitter.com/WCSPrelimsUS
If there are any questions regarding interpretation of the rules or decisions on specific cases please contact myself or Ed here on the forum or the Facebook page or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
WCS US Organizer