~World Cosplay Summit Preliminaries - Official Panel Information Page~

Started by TokyoKitty, April 29, 2010, 11:20:37 PM

honnou

so can i send one email with all the info needed for both members of the group  ?

TokyoKitty

Quote from: honnou on May 04, 2010, 12:52:35 AM
so can i send one email with all the info needed for both members of the group  ?

Absolutely ^^ That's fine.
"Humans are cowards in the face of happiness. It takes courage to hold on to happiness." - Momoko Ryugasaki

honnou

TokyoKitty

"Humans are cowards in the face of happiness. It takes courage to hold on to happiness." - Momoko Ryugasaki

Rette

Do the 4 pictures we send with our resume have to be from anime/video games as well? Or are we just showcasing our costuming abilities? Also, can one of them be the costume we're planning on wearing for the preliminaries?

~ Gaffer Tape is like the Force. There's a Dark Side and a Light Side and it Holds the Universe Together. ~

Member of Three Dollar Laugh Cosplay

polence

Your rules say that professional cosplayers are not allowed. Can you elaborate more on that subject please? What qualifies a person to be an amateur or a professional cosplayer by your standards?

She replied already, for everyone's reference

TokyoKitty: If you have a business/website in which you sell costumes or props you make (or other related cosplay materials) or you are industry (ie cosplay for money for companies). The definition that a number of cons abide by is this: If you make more than $600 dollars a year selling items that are cosplay related, it makes you a professional.

TokyoKitty

Quote from: Rette on May 04, 2010, 02:25:26 AM
Do the 4 pictures we send with our resume have to be from anime/video games as well? Or are we just showcasing our costuming abilities? Also, can one of them be the costume we're planning on wearing for the preliminaries?

The photos will be showcasing you costuming ability. I would prefer they be from costumes that have source material vs. original costumes, but they don't necessarily need to be from anime/video games.

I would love for you to include the costume you will wear for the prelims.

Quote from: polence on May 04, 2010, 10:20:15 AM
Your rules say that professional cosplayers are not allowed. Can you elaborate more on that subject please? What qualifies a person to be an amateur or a professional cosplayer by your standards?

I sent you a response back in you messages ^^ Basically, if you make costumes and costume related items for business/money, and/or cosplay in the industry. The basic rule that some cons abide by is the $600 dollar rule. You make over $600 a year, you are making it a business and are no longer an amateur.

Anyone that has questions about their situation regarding this, please PM me and I will get back to you.

Michi

How intensive does the "History of Costumes and Awards (include the convention)" have to be? Do you just want costumes that have won awards, or everything? Because some of us are going to be listing around 50 costumes.  :-[
~ don't dream it, be it ~

Facebook / Twitter / Tumblr

TokyoKitty

Quote from: Michi on May 04, 2010, 11:45:49 AM
How intensive does the "History of Costumes and Awards (include the convention)" have to be? Do you just want costumes that have won awards, or everything? Because some of us are going to be listing around 50 costumes.  :-[

I know some of you have A LOT. Just go with the costumes you've won with and list the award and convention ^^

PsychicPsycho

I have a couple quick questions:

"Cosplay costumes are to be hand-made. Pre-/ready-made costumes are not allowed."
Do alterations count as "hand-made," such as if you have a pair of pants you bought and altered into completely different pants, does that count? Or does it have to be made entirely from scratch?

"It is not permitted to directly copy original drawings or logos to your equipment or props"
Can you elaborate? The wording has me a little confused...

Thank you! ^^

Rette

Just seeking clarification...

If our cosplay is NOT from a Shueisha series, can we use it for both the prelims and the championships?

Are costumes from Shueisha series allowed at the championships?

~ Gaffer Tape is like the Force. There's a Dark Side and a Light Side and it Holds the Universe Together. ~

Member of Three Dollar Laugh Cosplay

Edo

Hi Rette, you definitely can use the same performance in the preliminaries and the championship.

It asks somewhere in the rules on the WCS website that if the same performance is used, the performance in the championship should be "improved". This is pretty subjective,  you could go in to the championship with the exact same performance and have a lower chance of winning or augment the performance (could be music, costume, props etc.) and improve your chances in the final.

Shueisha is pretty tight in Japan with their copyright items and its not only WCS that feels the effects of this. With games allowed this year there are many many titles to choose from so your imagination is the limit!

Good Luck!!

hashimoto

Quote from: Edo on May 04, 2010, 04:31:46 PM
Shueisha is pretty tight in Japan with their copyright items and its not only WCS that feels the effects of this. With games allowed this year there are many many titles to choose from so your imagination is the limit!

Good Luck!!

Wait wait wait... So video games ARE allowed this year for the Final Competition? Is there any up-to-date current 2010 rules? All I have is the rules from 2009.

PsychicPsycho

Ah, one more:

"You are required to bring three costumes to Japan: one for the parade, one for the championship, and one for media appearances. [There was an amendment to this. Two is absolute minimum: one for the championship, one for media + parade. I recommend three however]" and "It is not necessary to coordinate costumes for the parade."

If you do end up with only two, is it necessary to coordinate costumes for the media appearances?

Edo

Quote from: hashimoto on May 04, 2010, 05:24:57 PM

Wait wait wait... So video games ARE allowed this year for the Final Competition? Is there any up-to-date current 2010 rules? All I have is the rules from 2009.

Yes, games originating from Japan are allowed at the championship this year so if you are thinking of a game related performance, by all means enter it in the competition. In the regulations on the WCS homepage the wording on using this is unclear, I notified staff about this on the weekend but as it is the Golden Week holiday in Japan now it will not be changed until tomorrow.

PsychicPsycho - No, you do not need to coordinate costumes for the media appearances. Usually, pairs will match costumes at the parade as well as other functions and I recommend this where possible. There is plenty of media coverage and matching costumes demonstrates attention to detail.
Again, there have been many cases over the past few years where pairs have not matched costumes - the costumes you wear at the parade and other functions have no relation with judging at the championship performance.

TokyoKitty

Points I not sure were answered prior:

PsychicPsycho - If you completely modified a pair of pants into a new pair, that fine. The big concern is people entering the contest with a "found" costume or a costume that they bought and someone else made it.

Having copyrighted material on equipment or props can be a problem for the competition if the WCS doesn't have the rights to use it in the event. For an example: Someone is doing an Evangelion performance and they are using a prop screen in the background with the NERV logo on it.

Rette: Shueisha series costumes are not allowed in the finals. If you pick non-Shueisha costumes for the prelims, you can use it for both then.   

tubular

If my passport is expired and needs to be renewed, am I still eligible to compete?

TokyoKitty

Quote from: tubular on May 04, 2010, 11:13:19 PM
If my passport is expired and needs to be renewed, am I still eligible to compete?

Yes, just make sure to get a renewal soon since they can take up to 6 weeks to get back.

tubular

Quote from: TokyoKitty on May 04, 2010, 11:37:43 PM
Yes, just make sure to get a renewal soon since they can take up to 6 weeks to get back.

Thank you for your help!

One last question - do you know what the approximate size of the "stage" will be? (For that matter, will there be a stage?) Also, do you know if the room will have low ceilings? Will participants be able to use props like flags, staffs, ribbons or other long/tall objects without hitting the ceiling?

TokyoKitty

Quote from: tubular on May 05, 2010, 07:08:54 AM
Quote from: TokyoKitty on May 04, 2010, 11:37:43 PM

Thank you for your help!

One last question - do you know what the approximate size of the "stage" will be? (For that matter, will there be a stage?) Also, do you know if the room will have low ceilings? Will participants be able to use props like flags, banners, ribbons or other long objects without hitting the ceiling?

There is no stage actually in the room. You'll just have a performance floor area. I'll get some information about how high the ceilings are, but I think you'll be fine.  I'll get back to you on that.